Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

space chandeliers posted:

If you're going to build a gaming PC, you could just add a second GPU that is compatible with CRT Emudriver (basically older AMD Radeon cards that can still output analog through a VGA port). CRT Emudriver allows you to output a 15khz signal that's compatible with CRT TVs. None of my TVs accept RGB, so I need an encoder like this to convert the signal to NTSC composite, S-video, or component. For your Ikegami though, I imagine you'll just need to find out the proper pin outs from the VGA and make a cable that ends in the proper BNC connectors without the need for the encoder in between the GPU output and TV.

One caveat is that your main GPU should be Nvidia-based as CRT Emudriver does not play well with the stock AMD driver.

Although I've not tried it, it's also possible to do that with an nvidia gpu. You use CRU to make a super resolution (usually something like 2560x240, the super-wide resolution brings the pixel clock up to the GPU's minimum spec). There are also VGA to BNC cables on Amazon.

I was gonna experiment with both ways at some point but never got around to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

CRU will work but it's sort of inconvenient since you'll need to track and apply the wide variation of 240p resolutions between games/systems. Plus, some games like Silent Hill and a lot of other PS1 titles switch between 240p and 480i constantly, which would be annoying with CRU. CRT Emudriver is able to handle those on the fly resolution switches, which I think makes it worth the hurdle of selecting the proper GPUs for your rig (or even just getting a cheap second-hand Dell Optiplex or whatever and using that as a dedicated emulation rig).

Downside to CRT Emudriver besides the possible learning curve of procuring and setting up the right GPU/converters is that the compatible GPUs are getting quite old. If OP wants something powerful enough to run Wii emulation I'm pretty sure the newest compatible ones can handle it though, but I haven't tried emulating Wii.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
The last Nvidia GPUs with analog out are the Geforce 9xx series. Still fairly good stuff.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Rubellavator posted:

Although I've not tried it, it's also possible to do that with an nvidia gpu. You use CRU to make a super resolution (usually something like 2560x240, the super-wide resolution brings the pixel clock up to the GPU's minimum spec). There are also VGA to BNC cables on Amazon.

I was gonna experiment with both ways at some point but never got around to it.

This sounds a lot like the trick to get the MiSTer to play 15khz 240p games on a VGA monitor. It works, but there are some side effects/imperfections with some cores.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I just experienced a weird behavior with my Wii and two CRTs and I'm curious what the explanation is:

I have a modified Wii with a WiiDual installed. I was futzing with it with an OSSC and set the analog output to RGsB instead of RGB.

When I re-connected it to my component matrix, I noticed that a Sony WEGA showed the image with a green tint while a Toshiba 14AF42 showed the image just fine.

When I brought up the GCvideo OSD and switched it back to RGB, both displays showed the correct color profile.

Signal Path:

Wii > RetroAccess SCART > AxunWorks SCA-101> Shinybow SCART2Component > CELabs SW204HD > CRT

Why can the Toshiba properly parse RGsB but the Sony cannot?

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

A guy locally to me is trying to sell a View Sonic p220f, and that screen looks rad as heck.

But, he also describes it as having a "dim bulb, that can probably be replaced. lol"

Is this is a monitor on its last legs, or is it actually fixable by a dumb human?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I would never buy a crt that needs a tube swap.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Dim bulb is bad. Gotta be a lotta hours.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Ok, sounds like the dude is trying to pull a fast one

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Ask yourself what kind of person sells and/or gets rid of a CRT.

(a bad one lol)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Kazvall posted:

Ask yourself what kind of person sells and/or gets rid of a CRT.

(a bad one lol)

I might get rid of mine now that I have a RT4k.

Ok probably not, but I've at least considered it.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Rubellavator posted:

I would never buy a crt that needs a tube swap.

I would only buy one if I already had a good tube and bad chassis. Even then it’d have to be a special TV or PVM/BVM. Viewsonics of that era are pretty cool I spent many hours with one as my primary back in the early 2000s.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Picked up a Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 200 today.

Payed £80 for it, and I feel like I got a pretty decent deal at that price.

First time using a CRT monitor in.. well, gently caress knows how long. It's been a while. I also have no idea what I'm doing with the settings or any calibration, but it looks OK and I'm having a nice time with it.

Fired up Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun and poo poo.. it just felt right.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Is there a special repository for service menu codes for different CRTs?

I'm looking to tweak the geometry on an RCA 20F510TD and google-fu has failed me. None of the sequences people have historically recommended for RCAs work.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

Is there a special repository for service menu codes for different CRTs?

I'm looking to tweak the geometry on an RCA 20F510TD and google-fu has failed me. None of the sequences people have historically recommended for RCAs work.

This service manual isn't for that exact model, but it's close: https://archive.org/details/rca-20f511t-truflat-crt-tv-service-manual/page/n11/mode/2up

The code it gives is to reduce volume to zero, then press Info while holding Volume Down.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Gottta get rid of my 50” or so rear projection Mitsubishi that I haven’t turned on in 4 years.

Time to say good night.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Reading that post hurts my back.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

RPTVs aren't actually that heavy, most of the weight is in the base

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I saw this in Hakata Canal City and I gotta :justpost:

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
I've always wanted a pvm but now that I have finally modded my SNES JR for RGB I'm kind of shocked at how expensive they are.

I could afford spending 1k on a nice unit but is it going to be that much better than an old trinitron consumer unit I find at a garage sale?

It seems like way too much money for such a small piece of ancient tech that very probably has thousands and thousands of hours of use behind it.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Avian Pneumonia posted:

I've always wanted a pvm but now that I have finally modded my SNES JR for RGB I'm kind of shocked at how expensive they are.

I could afford spending 1k on a nice unit but is it going to be that much better than an old trinitron consumer unit I find at a garage sale?

It seems like way too much money for such a small piece of ancient tech that very probably has thousands and thousands of hours of use behind it.

If you have a crt with rgb, you're pretty much set

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

bone emulator posted:

If you have a crt with rgb, you're pretty much set

i do not currently have a crt at all.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Avian Pneumonia posted:

At that kind of price, I'd just get a RT4k and call it a day.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Ornamented Death posted:

At that kind of price, I'd just get a RT4k and call it a day.

Do this, then just keep an eye open for a cheap CRT if you have the space for it.
I don't have the 4K, but the 5x looks amazing on an OLED with scanlines and HDR injected.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

don't spend 1k on a pvm

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

yeah i extremely do not want to spend nearly that much on a pvm.

this other thing i'm not so sure about.

seems like there are next to no downsides. it really has no input lag?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Avian Pneumonia posted:

yeah i extremely do not want to spend nearly that much on a pvm.

this other thing i'm not so sure about.

seems like there are next to no downsides. it really has no input lag?

None. The RetroTink products are the gold standard for upscalers. They can be pricey, especially the 4k, but you absolutely get your money's worth.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Call local TV and video production places in your area, they might still have some PVMs in storage that you can get for cheap or free. I got several very nice models that way.

The RT4K is an awesome device and I can vouch for it being lag free. If you have an OLED with HDR and BFI you can really achieve some amazing results, but even without that stuff it's still a great option.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

if you absolutely have to have a CRT, it's 1000% easier and cheaper to find a CRT with YPbPr and convert from RGB to that than it is to find a PVM that's both an acceptable size to play at, has RGB (Not all do!), and is priced in a way that makes sense.

As an owner of several PVMs ranging from 8 inches to 20 inches, I highly advocate that you only pursue a PVM if you 10000% know that's what you want. If you've spent the last 10+ years with a screen 48 inches or larger, going back down to a 20 inch or smaller screen can be somewhat of a mood killer, especially if you spent close to four digits on it.

On top of that, a good modern oled is 99.9% of the way there in terms of picture quality, brightness and input lag. Only a top % speed runner will notice the difference in input lag between a CRT and an oled. The tink4k's ability to use HDR with screen shaders gets you across the finish line in terms of look and feel of a CRT. The only thing you're missing out on at this point is light gun games.

A good oled and a tink 4k is a much more solid investment than a good PVM at this point. Remember that it's been over 10 years since the PVM craze started in the retro world, and all of those screens now have an extra ten years of life on them. Most will need service, and if you're not willing or able to do that yourself, the wait list for reputable service techs is long and will cost you even more money than your original purchase.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

i guess then the only thing holding me back is the input lag inherent to my television which is... not insignificant.

but i'm due for an upgrade to a faster 4k tv anyway?

that said. just out of curiosity at this point:
is it possible to get a pvm for under $500 at this point or has that ship largely sailed as seems to be the case?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Avian Pneumonia posted:

is it possible to get a pvm for under $500 at this point or has that ship largely sailed as seems to be the case?

Color? And over 8"? And working? Yeah, basically.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Avian Pneumonia posted:

People think their lovely non-pvm CRTs are worth $500 now.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Avian Pneumonia posted:

In an abstract sense, yes, they're out there. But you're not the only one looking, and unless you're willing to put in an absurd amount of legwork, you're unlikely to be the person that scores one.

Just as a small taste of what goes in to the process, you need to be CONSTANTLY scouring places like Craigslist and FB Marketplace - and not just for obvious listings like "PVM" or "CRT". You need to look for mundane listings like "emptying house, everything must go!" and be willing to reach out to people. Then you need to be willing to deal with people that have absolutely no idea what you mean when you ask "hey do you have a PVM in that garage full of crap?" You need to wake up ridiculously early on Saturdays to hit the flea markets and yard sales, and you're going to spend a lot of time driving and then coming home disappointed for any number of reasons - the seller didn't have a PVM, they did but it was in poo poo condition or didn't have the connections you need, someone else got there first and offered more, etc.

It doesn't sound like the money side of the equation is an issue (based on your posts). You're going to be much happier with a RT4k and a new 4k TV if for no other reason than you'll be playing your retro stuff on that setup many months before you're likely to find a good PVM. The juice just isn't worth the squeeze.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Avian Pneumonia posted:

I think unless you truly crave the absolutely best CRT image available you should just get a 2000s era consumer set with component input. You can then get an RGC2COMP.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

katkillad2 posted:

People think their lovely non-pvm CRTs are worth $500 now.

"Retro Gamer TV for gamers" and it's a 17" piece of poo poo with only a coax input.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Avian Pneumonia posted:

i guess then the only thing holding me back is the input lag inherent to my television which is... not insignificant.

but i'm due for an upgrade to a faster 4k tv anyway?

If you want a 20" you'll have to pay over $500. If you watch ebay you can find 14" pvms for around $300. I've bought two around that price in the last year.

For consumer sets facebook marketplace is pretty good for me here, lots of old people practically giving away sets.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Avian Pneumonia posted:

i do not currently have a crt at all.

what size crt would you want if you could get one?

general chaos
May 20, 2001

HKR posted:

The tink4k's ability to use HDR with screen shaders gets you across the finish line in terms of look and feel of a CRT. The only thing you're missing out on at this point is light gun games.

Do people play light gun games on small CRTs or 14" PVMs? Seems like it would be pretty frustrating.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

general chaos posted:

Do people play light gun games on small CRTs or 14" PVMs? Seems like it would be pretty frustrating.

I mean I certainly played duck hunt on a tiny 13 inch screen at points in my early life. Having the option to play light gun games at all vs not being able to might be a deal breaker for some people looking to to choose between an oled or CRT for retro gaming. I'd still recommend a 27+ inch consumer TV with YPbPr inputs over hunting down and paying top dollar for a smaller pvm.

Personally I'm waiting for the MiSTercade v2 boards to come out. Once I get my hands on one of those + SNAC adapters I can move all my lightgun games to my arcade cab, and at that point I might seriously consider passing on my PVM to a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I got a 19 inch crt and even that doesn't feel ideal for light gun games, though it gets the job done. I picked a 19 inch because it's something I can move around myself. If they didn't weigh 200-400lbs I would get something much bigger.