Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I think most people who are implementing AI think they are doing something scientifically rigorous. And this is showing to be a popular concept that is getting it implemented into tons of processes at Global scale. The witch down the street is not being listened to by any significant group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Watching the past few weeks of journalists thinking a chatbox has sentience or how LGBT people need to quiet down since we need to give rights to AI first has convinced me that I should become a luddite.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I have a special wooden shoe I plan to chuck at a server rack when using AI chat bot becomes part of my computer touching job.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, Rutibex’s taste in board games matched his taste in Path of Exiles builds, apparently.

I haven’t played Talisman since the 2000s, so maybe it got good in the meantime, but if you’re not familiar with it, just think of it as a fantasy adventure simulator that makes Monopoly seem like a short, strategic, enjoyable interactive experience in comparison

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

skeleton warrior posted:

Yeah, Rutibex’s taste in board games matched his taste in Path of Exiles builds, apparently.

I haven’t played Talisman since the 2000s, so maybe it got good in the meantime, but if you’re not familiar with it, just think of it as a fantasy adventure simulator that makes Monopoly seem like a short, strategic, enjoyable interactive experience in comparison

Some depraved part of me wants to play those hellish monopoly addons on steam workshop

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't think there's any harm in wanting both witches and computers to be real, so long as you don't also dehumanize a bunch of marginalized groups for some reason in the process.

You're scaring me. Is this device in front of me a figment of my imagination? Stop it!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Witches always seem like they are having a great time. Cackling, brewing potions, things of that nature.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Paladinus posted:

I have a special wooden shoe I plan to chuck at a server rack when using AI chat bot becomes part of my computer touching job.

A co-worker had a meltdown during an town hall meeting last week because someone mentioned looking into if ChatGPT can be useful for our jobs (Spoiler: Not really). Like, just full-on spamming "AI's takin' our jobs!!1!!" in the meeting chat, and then afterward started yelling - on the verge of tears - at the dude on our team who told him to calm down.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

A co-worker had a meltdown during an town hall meeting last week because someone mentioned looking into if ChatGPT can be useful for our jobs (Spoiler: Not really). Like, just full-on spamming "AI's takin' our jobs!!1!!" in the meeting chat, and then afterward started yelling - on the verge of tears - at the dude on our team who told him to calm down.

they've got the right reaction

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

they've got the right reaction

lol lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Rutibex thought machine learning image generators have levels of sentience comparable to human toddlers and then used them to generate upskirt shots of Princess Peach so I guess what I'm saying is the cognitive dissonance of believing in both magic and AI is just the tip of the iceberg.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

vyelkin posted:

Rutibex thought machine learning image generators have levels of sentience comparable to human toddlers and then used them to generate upskirt shots of Princess Peach so I guess what I'm saying is the cognitive dissonance of believing in both magic and AI is just the tip of the iceberg.

This is a hell of a sentence :stare:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

People in many fields are correct to fear AI taking their jobs because

1) AI doesn't have to be that good, it just has to be good enough and cheap enough to replace the average human, who all things considered is pretty mediocre in most respects
2) The relative inefficiency and clumsiness of AI right now does not mean that people will stop trying, especially those who have a profit motive to cut human employees

Fortunately as a professional writer, I can confidently say that my job will always be secure and I'm truly irreplaceable.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

He’s also trying to sell a book made of ml generated dungeons and dragons poo poo that he “edited”

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
Serious question: what can AI do that can't already be done the old-fashioned way, i.e. exploiting people in developing nations

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Grassy Knowles posted:

Some depraved part of me wants to play those hellish monopoly addons on steam workshop

:jail:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

vyelkin posted:

Seth Pecksniff posted:

This is a hell of a sentience :stare:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Serious question: what can AI do that can't already be done the old-fashioned way, i.e. exploiting people in developing nations

You could, for instance, train a text-based AI on the prose and narrative content of a well-known fantasy author and ask it to write a fascimile of a popular series of books to your own exact specifications, at a far more prolific output than one human being and/or team of ghostwriters could ever manage. And it would be mostly gibberish and bad, lacking the kind of intuitive logic that a human author would possess, but you could just pay a real editor to shape that text into a state acceptable for mass consumption for way less cost than having to provide an advance for your author. And after all, humans need editors anyway.

At a much smaller level, you could ask an AI to write your research reports or grant proposals, having it instantly generate a desired number of paragraphs that appear plausible and persuasive. It doesn't necessarily matter if the information provided is correct, as the AI does not have any inherent motive to be logically consistent. It only has to look convincing to the people who read it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
no one in charge of business needs anything to be good, just “good enough,” and they’re constantly lowering everyone’s standards of what “good enough” actually means

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

skeleton warrior posted:

For the longest time, I never got why he got threadbanned for being dogshit at builds, but I think I get it now. It wasn't really because he was poo poo at the game, was it?

exquisite tea posted:

You could, for instance, train a text-based AI on the prose and narrative content of a well-known fantasy author and ask it to write a fascimile of a popular series of books to your own exact specifications, at a far more prolific output than one human being and/or team of ghostwriters could ever manage. And it would be mostly gibberish and bad, lacking the kind of intuitive logic that a human author would possess, but you could just pay a real editor to shape that text into a state acceptable for mass consumption for way less cost than having to provide an advance for your author. And after all, humans need editors anyway.

At a much smaller level, you could ask an AI to write your research reports or grant proposals, having it instantly generate a desired number of paragraphs that appear plausible and persuasive. It doesn't necessarily matter if the information provided is correct, as the AI does not have any inherent motive to be logically consistent. It only has to look convincing to the people who read it.

I mean, that's been a problem even before AI, there's been bullshit research papers churned out for years.

A lower barrier to entry to churn out crap probably means anything not coming from a reasonably respected institution will get chucked.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

D! K!
Donkey! Kong!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Deki posted:

For the longest time, I never got why he got threadbanned for being dogshit at builds, but I think I get it now. It wasn't really because he was poo poo at the game, was it?

It’s because he was poo poo at builds and aggressively recommending them to other players. I explained it in SAD recently talking about why POE in general leads to angry posting:

Arivia posted:

Okay so you take absurd levels of gear customization that make Diablo 2 look like baby town frolics

Then staple on the sphere grid from final fantasy x for character building

Finished the base game? Great, here’s a SECOND sphere grid solely about how you want to play the game at max difficulty with uh, let me count four plus one plus one plus four plus one okay so yeah eleven additional difficulty sliders to play with on top of that (which your second sphere grid choices make more or less effective)

Oh and the way most people play is seasonal mode so all of this learning and progression is reset every three to four months. Have fun!

The common refrain on the goon discord is that after playing for ten years you might finally have a basic understanding of the game internalized

e: technically none of these choices are permanent. In effect, it can be extremely difficult to compensate for a bad choice, especially if it was done early and doubled-down on. That’s why people applauded the threadban for bad build guides guy, because he kept arguing his stuff was good for new players when it would gently caress them over so hard before they knew any better. And as a result it could ruin hours of effort or just make the game completely unfun.

e: to add to this, the new season starts in a week. It’s adding unique talent trees for every single weapon in the game. HAVE FUN.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Deki posted:

I mean, that's been a problem even before AI, there's been bullshit research papers churned out for years.

A lower barrier to entry to churn out crap probably means anything not coming from a reasonably respected institution will get chucked.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You can teach an AI to generate best speed running strategies for video games, and then all speed runners will lose their jobs.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Arivia posted:

It’s because he was poo poo at builds and aggressively recommending them to other players. I explained it in SAD recently talking about why POE in general leads to angry posting:

e: to add to this, the new season starts in a week. It’s adding unique talent trees for every single weapon in the game. HAVE FUN.

thank you for explaining this because i was abotu to ask whats so egregious about bad path of exile builds

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

He's the leader of the bunch, you know him well
He's finally back, to kick some tail

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Grassy Knowles posted:

I agree this isn’t the place for such a discussion but dont like to let authoritative-sounding posts that are incorrect stand before some White idiot wears a yukata barefoot into my office during an AAPI history month campaign and claims an internet forum told him its ok. Because that’s already happened in my life and it was exceedingly stupid.

(No, it wasn’t these forums.)

Only God and Resetera may judge me

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Paladinus posted:

You can teach an AI to generate best speed running strategies for video games, and then all speed runners will lose their jobs.

rutibex arguing that's not a tas

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Paladinus posted:

A human will never match the AI qbert high score

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Arivia posted:

Oh I definitely get that, I just wasn't reading/posting in the thread when he was pissing people off so it seemed like a bizarre thing to get threadbanned over.

And yes, I'm looking forward to the 4th talent tree in the game being added. unironically.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
An AI would never be able to comprehend the half A press.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

docbeard posted:

Only God and Resetera may judge me

It was a Maple Story forum of some kind

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

vyelkin posted:

AI “Henry” Yoshi

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Deki posted:

Oh I definitely get that, I just wasn't reading/posting in the thread when he was pissing people off so it seemed like a bizarre thing to get threadbanned over.

And yes, I'm looking forward to the 4th talent tree in the game being added. unironically.

4th? I’m guessing you’re separating skill tree and ascendancy points to get 3.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

thank you for explaining this because i was abotu to ask whats so egregious about bad path of exile builds

Yeah if you want to mess around and make a lovely build yourself have fun. It’s forcing it on others that sucks.

so edgy i cut YOU BITCH
Apr 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Just posting to say I can’t believe I made it in Rhino’s slideshow.

Owns.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Path of exile sounds like the kind of nerdery I’d be into. That worries me

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

it is never ok to say the holocaust was based

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

Path of exile sounds like the kind of nerdery I’d be into. That worries me

New league in a week, excellent time to start, goons are good to play with and have good advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

vyelkin posted:

Speaking of. Mark your calendars.