Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

3D GAY WORLD posted:

Again, it's irritating when people call themselves nihilists and reference Nietzsche after reading a few out-of-context quotes. If you're going to subscribe to a philosophy, at least bother reading one or two of the founding works on it. Context is what gives nihilism value, it's not just "nothing matters, life sucks".

you know what's more irritating than people who talk nonstop about their beliefs?

people who don't shut the gently caress up about how other people are believing their beliefs wrong.

poo poo doesn't matter. people can execute whatever belief they want in whatever way they want and call it whatever they want

none of it matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

3D GAY WORLD posted:

Context is what gives nihilism value, it's not just "nothing matters, life sucks".

You're right. My boss shouldn't care about the timeliness of my project because it's information that we already know and has no actual impact on our company or product. He's just having me tabulate a bunch of nonsense because I need busy work and me company isn't sure why they need someone in my position.

If the project is pointless then my adherence to an arbitrary deadline is doubly pointless.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
gently caress, did I just effortpost in the sadbrains thread?

Cyber Punk 90210 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 22, 2016

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Rufus T. Turnbuckle posted:

gently caress, did I just effortpost in the sadbrains thread?

If that's an effortpost then you truly are nihilistic.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Hope and blind faith only make matters worse when one's prayers go unanswered long enough.

Existential dread and nihilistic fears can only take root in times and places where patience and perseverance are all that's needed. Slow down.

If love is the answer then you must hold on. Somehow, life, uh, finds a way. Life is Chaos.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

3D GAY WORLD posted:

Again, it's irritating when people call themselves nihilists and reference Nietzsche after reading a few out-of-context quotes. If you're going to subscribe to a philosophy, at least bother reading one or two of the founding works on it. Context is what gives nihilism value, it's not just "nothing matters, life sucks".

you sure care a whole lot about a bunch of poo poo that doesn't matter

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
"Another bomb rocked downtown Sheboygan today killing 17 and wounding 10. Members of the fundamentalist nihilist terrorist group Morass of Indifference in a Cold and Uncaring Universe, or MICUU, have already claimed responsibility for the cowardly attack. The question is this: will President Taylor Swift continue to ignore the problem, or will she finally acknowledge the existence of radical nihilist fundamentalism?"

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

If everything is meaningless op, how come dictionaries exist

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I spilled coffee all over my dingus this morning and got super mad, until I realized this episode wouldn't even register on the human consciousness in a day, and meant about as much as a snail fart in the cosmic sense. So I went home, changed, and wacked it for a while.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

I spilled coffee all over my dingus this morning and got super mad, until I realized this episode wouldn't even register on the human consciousness in a day, and meant about as much as a snail fart in the cosmic sense. So I went home, changed, and wacked it for a while.

See, a nihilistic perspective gave you succor! It's working!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

chaosbreather posted:

If everything is meaningless op, how come dictionaries exist

haha

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Would you disappear if you became a nihilistic solipsist? Would the people that only exist as constructs in your mind even miss you?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pvt.Scott posted:

Would you disappear if you became a nihilistic solipsist? Would the people that only exist as constructs in your mind even miss you?

A real conundrum friend. That's why I choose life.

This penis ain't gonna jack itself off.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Pvt.Scott posted:

Yes and no.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

Rufus T. Turnbuckle posted:

You're right. My boss shouldn't care about the timeliness of my project because it's information that we already know and has no actual impact on our company or product. He's just having me tabulate a bunch of nonsense because I need busy work and me company isn't sure why they need someone in my position.

If the project is pointless then my adherence to an arbitrary deadline is doubly pointless.

You should probably do whatever you can to make it seem like your position IS necessary, especially since you say it isn't.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

Pvt.Scott posted:

Maybe you would stop caring about the possibility that nothing besides your mind actually existed and would just relax. Possible well-balanced philosophical worldview?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Pvt.Scott posted:

it doesn't matter

Enemy Ace
Mar 14, 2006
"We stain the sky. We fight a war in heaven."
I'm parking these shits here

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Enemy Ace posted:

I'm parking these shits here

I would laud your efforts but I've had too much laudanum to try.

Wee Stubby Nublet
Nov 20, 2015

by Lowtax

I'll swallow you forever, Willy. Free!

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

[how I'm feeling | I'm butt]
[what I'm listening to | my own screams echoing off the shower walls]

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

me, sighing: no one gets me. everything is loving pointless

<logs onto twitch>

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

MiracleWhale posted:

me, sighing: no one gets me. everything is loving pointless

<logs onto twitch>

"uniqu3sn0flake69: nick is taken"

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

bump the thread or don't, it doesn't matter

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Necromancy's pointless, death is certain.

Let's pick a good death this time, if that's something that matters to you. :megadeath:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

completely :same:

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
i think if the millennials collectively off themselves we can finally cement the message that nothing matters

it only takes one generation to end all this pointless flapping about

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

Necromancy's pointless, death is certain.
A nihilistic mystic? DUde, you are a card. La Mort.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
ive been listening to something called rae smrmermurd because nothing matters and the goal of music should only occasionally be to experience art, to receive a philosophy of another, all of the rest of the time music should be noises that make you slightly nod while your drive to the other side of town thay has less thoughts about the nature of time

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i dont even think im a real person

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000
If nothing matters, and you kill yourself, you just admitted that everything matters.

Be a spoke in the wheel. Enjoy that spoke. Love that wheel. As it goes around and around, take comfort that within every circle you continue to be.

Or not to be, out vile jelly! Where is your luster now!

TOO MANY COMMAS!!!!

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Pvt.Scott posted:

When you say constructs, I can only assume you mean the spectra of apparitions that inhabit this machinistic ghost world.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Slothgate posted:

If nothing matters, and you kill yourself, you just admitted that everything matters.

Be a spoke in the wheel. Enjoy that spoke. Love that wheel. As it goes around and around, take comfort that within every circle you continue to be.

Or not to be, out vile jelly! Where is your luster now!

TOO MANY COMMAS!!!!

spoken like someone who doesnat have anhedonia :eyerolls:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Who cares, though

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
Sometimes I wish I was foolish enough to believe in God.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Divided between apathy and revulsion towards life and the recognition that human life is the apex of a spectacular array of phenomena and perception.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Millie posted:

Sometimes I wish I was foolish enough to believe in God.

It is foolish to not believe in God after contemplating life deeply enough.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

a dog from hell posted:

It is foolish to not believe in God after contemplating life deeply enough.

Chaos could never be so horrific and retarded

There must be some intelligence behind the world's misery, and he's a hateful, spiteful little bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

Chaos could never be so horrific and retarded

There must be some intelligence behind the world's misery, and he's a hateful, spiteful little bitch

Whatever, Howard Lovecraft.

• Locked thread