Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

OutofSight posted:

Wasn't "happiness" a mistake in translation and the original russian word (Счастье) is more along "satisfaction"?

No, that literally means happiness, it's just as general a word and has no flavor or specific connotation to it

whoever told you that was an rear end in a top hat trying to push their own interpretation by pointing to some connotation that isn't there

feelix fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

feelix posted:

Maybe you guys read a lovely translation or something, I read it in the original Russian, that's probably why I understand it better.

drat check out this fuckin guy, he seems cool

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

feelix posted:

If it did, that would mean that the ending is Red killing an innocent kid to get to the Golden Sphere, then asking for happiness for all of humanity because that was the kid's wish, and Red is a hollow shell of a human that has no wishes of his own, and then what? The Golden Sphere creates world peace and everybody in the world is happy? lol no
His wish probably gets perverted just like Vulture's was, as explicitly stated earlier. Or maybe it gets granted, because this particular wish is selfless.

The granting of the wish isn't really the point though - Red finally becoming the sort of person who would make that sort of wish is. Dismissing that with "has no wishes of his own" is missing the point by a mile - if Arthur's final wish was "1 billion dollars and huge dong", Red probably wouldn't repeat that.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xander77 posted:

His wish probably gets perverted just like Vulture's was, as explicitly stated earlier. Or maybe it gets granted, because this particular wish is selfless.

The granting of the wish isn't really the point though - Red finally becoming the sort of person who would make that sort of wish is. Dismissing that with "has no wishes of his own" is missing the point by a mile - if Arthur's final wish was "1 billion dollars and huge dong", Red probably wouldn't repeat that.

I thought we don't know if his wish was granted? The story ends with him making it, or did I miss something? It's been a while since I read it

Also I personally took is as Red reaching the sphere and realizing he has no idea what he really wants, so he copies Arthur's wish because he finally made it there and has to wish for something

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Crane Fist posted:

I thought we don't know if his wish was granted? The story ends with him making it, or did I miss something? It's been a while since I read it

Also I personally took is as Red reaching the sphere and realizing he has no idea what he really wants, so he copies Arthur's wish because he finally made it there and has to wish for something
Um.

I really think I gave my opinion on both these points in the post you quoted?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What I meant was I don't think Red has changed as a person- he's just realised what kind of person he is. He doesn't make Arthur's wish because he wants what's best for anyone or anything like that, he just realises he has no real drive of his own beyond finding the sphere. He's the dog who finally caught that car

You mentioned you'd read the original Russian version, which I tried but failed at because my lovely conversational russian is not up to the task. Did you ever read the english translation as well? Are there any significant differences?

some plague rats fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 4, 2018

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Crane is correct and Xander is wrong and dumb and his butt probably stinks

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
This argument is even less important than you think it is. Stop or take it somewhere else.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
oh poo poo its old man thorn! everyone scatter

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Actually it's about a literal wish granter that grants actual wishes, because that's what the authors decided to call it, so that's obviously what they intended.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Man, all this is reminding me I still haven't gotten around to reading Roadside Picnic yet... should really get on that sometime.

But yeah: great LP, Strawhats. This game isn't really polished, but there's something about it, you know?

VV Yeah, but the thing about Fallout is that it's at its core a power fantasy; it might be in a wasteland, but it's still an interesting, goofy one in which you acquire cool perks and remain in control of yourself and what you're doing, and as far as the deck is stacked against you, there's always a point where you're more dangerous than most threats. But I don't remember ever having that feeling during STALKER, and I admire that; I find the honesty about my prospects of survival during a post-apocalyptic scenario (starting bad and getting worse) refreshing.

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 5, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
STALKER scratches a similar itch to fallout except it's fantastical elements seem all the more real for how the games work and are presented.

The hilarious ragdoll physics and decently-intelligent enemy AI help a lot though.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
It's a big open wandering single player immersive sim shooter where there isn't always a whole lot of pressure to progress and you can just climb some high point and watch the scenery and other things happen independently of you.
"I want more STALKER" is a not-insignificant part of Jim Rossignol making games, and I keep loving swearing that STALKER's had some bizarre influence on Warframe's Plains of Eidolon.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

And that's all the murder she wrote. I had too many issues trying to get mods and streams for the game working to show anything more off, so that's gonna have to be it for this LP. I'm not planning to do Call of Pripyat since I've barely played any of it, but once I do and if I think it'll be suitable for an LP, I'll consider it.

For now, look forward to next week, when I drag an old LPing hero back into the spotlight for Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
The "clip/magazine" question is actually not quite as silly as you make it out to be. Definition time! A "clip" is something you use to load a magazine. The confusion probably comes from the comparison of guns with a fixed magazine (which are often charged with clips during fighting to reload the weapon) versus guns with detachable magazines (where you load the magazines beforehand - with individual rounds or also with clips) and then swap them during fighting to reload the weapon.

So, depending on whether the gauss rifle batteries are used to charge an internal battery in the weapon or they're directly clipped to the weapon and exchanged once they run dry, they could be either clips or magazines.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Mr. Strelok, I have an ideaaaaa~

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
SoC's story was re-hashed many times during development, apparently - that probably goes some way to explaining the sudden awkward plot dump near the end. Actually I think this recent documentary gives a decent idea of how troubled the game's development was - along with just how far back its development goes. It's really from another time.

Also okay, yeah - I did not know about the grenade trick with Sidorovich.

Anyway, thanks for the LP! Again, I wouldn't play the game in a near-vanilla state like this myself - it's vastly improved with the right mods, like I said earlier - but it was kind of interesting to see it like that again.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Shifting is a colloquial term in Ireland for French kissing.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
EDIT: I am a dumb. Ignore this.

Lazy Bear fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 8, 2018

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm guessing there's not an achievement for grenading that guy during the warp flashes. It seemed too accidental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Glazius posted:

I'm guessing there's not an achievement for grenading that guy during the warp flashes. It seemed too accidental.
No achievements at all in the series until Call of Pripyat

• Locked thread