Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

A pivotal moment in any child's life, coming to realize that your Dad's dick is bullshit and thus yours will be as well.

at that point in my life i didnt really have a father

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I feel like falling off the waterfall should count as an automatic loss in the king fight.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Bananaquiter posted:

I feel like falling off the waterfall should count as an automatic loss in the king fight.

this isnt a video game.

this is politics.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I just finished watching Independence Day 2 and it's by far more entertaining than any superhero film I've seen in a while.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I wish killmonger was the protagonist

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Killmonger was a good character and probably one of the better villains we've seen in the MCU thus far. That said, it felt to me like they got halfway through the movie, get you somewhat sympathetic to his cause, and then forget about all that and turn him into generic villain bent on world domination #774. Then to top that off, they make the final scene with him try to flip back to the original cause after all the crazy poo poo he was doing up to that point. Just really felt shoehorned in there and by that point, I wanted Black Panther to end him quickly.

Good movie, but really felt cheap and forced at times without much of a core identity they wanted to stick with.

Furious Mittens fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 20, 2018

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Looking good with your spears there guys

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
hmm

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It should say "can't have mass shootings if you regulate white people" imo

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Counterpoint: while some military dudes do carry ceremonial swords for ceremonies, they set those aside for modern battle rifles when they have to actually do soldier poo poo.

IDK the spear thing would be fully weird if I didn't know the director was black.

Directors don't have complete power over the film, though

It's probably because Disney and the powers that be don't want to encourage black people to buy guns to defend themselves

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
theres this thing called europe that is mostly white and they don't have kids shooting up kids like america does

plus wakandians apparently use clubs and swords and stuff instead of guns

/

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
If you liked the Dora Milaje you should read about the Mino, AKA the Dahomey Amazons

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Colonel Cancer posted:

I just finished watching Independence Day 2 and it's by far more entertaining than any superhero film I've seen in a while.

Sorry about the Down syndrome that apparently no one diagnosed you with until now

In The Bushes
Mar 4, 2012

Zzulu posted:

theres this thing called europe that is mostly white and they don't have kids shooting up kids like america does

Actually Europe is all Muslim now and people are terror murdered every day.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

In The Bushes posted:

Actually Europe is all Muslim now and people are terror murdered every day.

Muslims straightened the tower of pisa

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
muslims made the french bathe

xitl
Apr 29, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

consumerism.

It was a really good popcorn movie. I can only imagine how the black community is responding--mostly positive I would guess. The theater was packed for a 9:30 am showing. Letita Wright was adorable as all hell. They even found a way to put loving Man-Ape in the movie without it seeming (relatively) ridiculous.

Yeah if you hate superheroes this won't change your mind. If you hate Disney movies this won't change your mind. If you have issues with black and/or African culture for whatever reason, you'll hate it on general principle. And yeah the commodification of everything does wear on you-- every tribe gets their own color and set of special kills that are juuuuuuust right for toy sets--but it's a small price to pay for the cooler stuff.

What did you think of Black Panther?

It looks great and thanks for the comics. They are awesome.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kuato posted:

Sorry about the Down syndrome that apparently no one diagnosed you with until now

For real that movie was loving dogshit

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

People seem to not realize that monarchies and non-democratic forms of government have successfully ruled most of the world prior to the 20th century for most of recorded history with a wide range of results. It wasn't until World War 1 that Europe saw an end to monarchies.

It's also pretty silly to think that a ruler chosen by the unenlightened, poorly informed, easily fooled masses through a complex method of voting (very few Americans actually know how the electoral college works) that is easily influenced by corporations and wealthy elites to further their own agendas is somehow more advanced than a monarchy.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
It was mostly a fun movie, Klaue should've been the main villain though with Killmonger as the hero. Also Lupita Nyong'o is gorgeous.

vyst posted:

I wish killmonger was the protagonist

:same:

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

The Skeleton King posted:

People seem to not realize that monarchies and non-democratic forms of government have successfully ruled most of the world prior to the 20th century for most of recorded history with a wide range of results. It wasn't until World War 1 that Europe saw an end to monarchies.

It's also pretty silly to think that a ruler chosen by the unenlightened, poorly informed, easily fooled masses through a complex method of voting (very few Americans actually know how the electoral college works) that is easily influenced by corporations and wealthy elites to further their own agendas is somehow more advanced than a monarchy.

Oh! Can you how explain determining your ruler by combat is the truly enlightened method of rule next?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Muslims straightened the tower of pisa

What

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Benedict Arnold

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

LostRook posted:

Oh! Can you how explain determining your ruler by combat is the truly enlightened method of rule next?

Trump would’ve crushed Hillary in mortal combat so theory checks out

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Trump would’ve crushed Hillary in mortal combat so theory checks out

That's funny. You think the guy who thinks excercise expends your life force would survive the wrath of Killary I killed Seth Clinton in Ritual Combat?!?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

That's funny. You think the guy who thinks excercise expends your life force would survive the wrath of Killary I killed Seth Clinton in Ritual Combat?!?

For real. Hillary goes Pon Farr and murders the dems chance of winning every 4 years

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

LostRook posted:

It's more entertaining, for starters.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

It's more entertaining, for starters.

Trump would have gotten destroyed by Hillmonger.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

this kind of hot take is real dumb. because it's not just a question of the electoral system. real monarchies, in the substantively historical sense of the term, are deeply personalized societies. the crown family and its patrons control large parts of the economy. there are caste privileges in which only certain people can get certain jobs and do certain things. democracies only come around with the universalization of law and the popularization of sovereignty and the 'equalitarianization' of the population. and not having these things is dogshit. you can sort of have these things and not be a democracy but you are then an autocracy of some kind not a monarchy.

Zane fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 20, 2018

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

*you faintly hear alarm sirens that are raising in volume*

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

They probably don't have guns because it shakes up the political landscape real bad. One unlucky slip up and you end up becoming a king and that's frankly too much pressure

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
edit: wrong thread

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

LostRook posted:

I liked how everyone in attendance at the second fight was going "oh no" and wailing and carrying on, it's like did you seriously think a system of succession based on who can throw their opponent off a waterfall was going to produce the result you wanted 100% of the time

Thousands of years of monarchic rule and Wakanda never had a vibranium-infused Caligula I guess

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Zane posted:

this kind of hot take is real dumb. because it's not just a question of the electoral system. real monarchies, in the substantively historical sense of the term, are deeply personalized societies. the crown family and its patrons control large parts of the economy. there are caste privileges in which only certain people can get certain jobs and do certain things. democracies only come around with the universalization of law and the popularization of sovereignty and the 'equalitarianization' of the population. and not having these things is dogshit. you can sort of have these things and not be a democracy but you are then an autocracy of some kind not a monarchy.

I don't mean that a monarchy is better, but that it isn't less advanced than a democracy.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

according to galactic civilizations II democracies are more advanced tho

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The problem with 1 person ruling everything isn't that it is inefficient or necessarily inherently bad somehow - other than how do you pick who rules ofc because it quickly becomes "divine right" and other dumbass un-egalitarian poo poo - the problem is eventually you get a Trump who reallllly fucks poo poo up because there's no stopping him.

This ofc means that an AI benevolent dictatorship is the best form of gov't. You don't need to have the whole feudalism poo poo around it.

Ofc that's a pipe dream so in the meantime FALGSC.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
XPosting from the D&D Political Cartoons thread:

Kopijeger posted:

"Up, Up and Astray"

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

#1 movie of all time, suck it whitey

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Fat Jesus posted:

#1 movie of all time, suck it whitey

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/

i guess i have to watch this movie then. I have low expectations so maybe i'll be surprised. I generally hate superheroes and marketing so marvel and disney are generally no goes but if it's the best movie of all time then you kinda have to see it.

• Locked thread