Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
Clown gobies are known to nibble at SPS corals, so I'd avoid one or the other.

If your green algae is just like a light dust of green on your rock, it's probably good coralline algae. My tank started with the green stuff, and it gradually started turning purple in spots. Give it more time, as long as it isn't hair-like it's probably fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
Yup, thats more what I meant by "small", but yeah like a dusting of green. It first formed on the snails a little, and some of the snails already have it going purple. Thanks!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Purple is good, hairy stuff is bad. And Coral isn't really any more maintenance than fish, you just have to have the right lighting, and some more frequent water changes (I change mine once a month, because I'm a bad coral father, but my SPS love it for some reason).

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
I bought a Cardinal last night and it died right after acclimation. The LFS doesn't have a guarantee on marine fish, but I'm going to call and see what they say since my fish didn't even last 3 hours.

Looked fine in the store, but he had to be unhealthy. My water is fine: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate <5ppm, PH 8.1, SG 1.025

I temp acclimated the bag for 20 minutes, then drip acclimated the fish for 90 minutes. When I put him in the tank he swam with his nose pointed down for a while and just hid. An hour later he was sucked against my koralia dead.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

U.S. Barryl posted:

I bought a Cardinal last night and it died right after acclimation. The LFS doesn't have a guarantee on marine fish, but I'm going to call and see what they say since my fish didn't even last 3 hours.

Looked fine in the store, but he had to be unhealthy. My water is fine: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate <5ppm, PH 8.1, SG 1.025

I temp acclimated the bag for 20 minutes, then drip acclimated the fish for 90 minutes. When I put him in the tank he swam with his nose pointed down for a while and just hid. An hour later he was sucked against my koralia dead.

Just as a helpful note before purchasing fish:

-Ask the person at the LFS to do a small feeding with the fish to make sure they are healthy and accepting food

-Make sure you see them swimming

-If you have the patience to, then I would purchase the fish then pick it up a day or so later.

-MOST IMPORTANTLY, setup a quarantine tank with a piece of 3" PVC tube for the fish to hide in. You will be preventing disease, giving the fish a chance to acclimate to similar water conditions of your tank stress free and without the harassment of other fish. This step can also eliminate many possibilities of a fish you recently purchased dying and can help you diagnose what exactly went wrong.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
Well, it turns out the store was very understanding. They gave me store credit towards anything in the store. I asked them to special order me some Bangaii cardinals, and they agreed to hold them in their tanks for up to 2 weeks after shipping to ensure they were healthy.

I do have a quarantine tank set up, but it's such a pain in the rear end to keep it up and cycled, so I'm just going to seed a sponge filter for a few weeks in my main tank and move it to the QT whenever I get a new fish. I'm new to marine tanks, but that should work, right?

Edit: To clarify, I wouldn't be putting the sponge back into the main tank afterwards. Just get a new sponge each time I need to QT. What would I do if I need a hospital tank and I don't have time to seed a sponge?

U.S. Barryl fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 30, 2012

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

U.S. Barryl posted:

What would I do if I need a hospital tank and I don't have time to seed a sponge?

Monitor the levels in the tank and pre-make some saltwater for a regular water change.

kaiger
Oct 21, 2003

Flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.
Would a sump work as a quarantine tank? Obviously it wouldn't do for a disease quarantine, but for acclimation I don't see why it shouldn't work.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So I just returned from a 2 week vacation. We had a house sitter but I just told her to top off the tank with to water and feed every other day.

I come back to tons of GHA (I didn't have any before), a bit more red bubble algae, the glass is covered with algae and starting to get spotted with coralline. The chaeto in the back is also twice the size but it was dying off before I left.

The culprit? The loving timer ( one of those with the dip switches all around) somehow got all the switches pushed down, so who knows how long the lights have been on 24/7 for.

I'm not too terribly mad, but I wish she would have said that the tank looks likes it is growing a bunch of new poo poo on it so I could have trouble shot it.

Looks like a few water changes and lights out for the next day or two.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

kaiger posted:

Would a sump work as a quarantine tank? Obviously it wouldn't do for a disease quarantine, but for acclimation I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Ive banished many nuisance fish/inverts to my sump.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

nwin posted:

The culprit? The loving timer ( one of those with the dip switches all around) somehow got all the switches pushed down, so who knows how long the lights have been on 24/7 for.

Ugghh, that sucks. The ones with the dip switches are usually pretty hard to accidentally mess up! The cheaper ones with just depressible buttons are the WORST. I have one in my stand and am constantly messing it up when working in my sump. I've been meaning to replace it with a dip switch one for a while.

Hopefully you can get rid of that GHA easily. The lights out method has worked for me in the past.

--

I haven't posted in this thread in a while - since my last post I've upgraded to a 40g breeder with 20g sump. This replaced a 14g Biocube. I've had the new tank up-and-running for about six months. During that time, I had my old live rock and sand sitting in the Biocube with a heater and single powerhead. I kept telling myself, 'I'll set up a second tank as soon as I figure out what to do with it'. Then some of the wiring in my DIY LED setup failed, and I never got around to fixing it. I got lazy at topping up this tank, and more than half the water evaporated from it (remember, nothing living in it beside some pods). I didn't feel like making saltwater for it so I just dumped a ton of freshwater into it. Very bad idea. Almost immediately all the 'stuff' in the live rock and sand died, and the tank got rancid. One interesting thing is the bristleworms came to the surface of the sand to die, so I got to see how big they got over almost two years :D I dumped out the water and put the rock and sand into an airtight bucket.

Now I'm trying to decide what to do with the tank. Once I fix the LEDs, I'd like to set it up as a second tank... but only if it's low-maintenance and something different than my main tank (mixed reef). A single species tank would be cool, but I don't know what I could put in it. My initial thought was an angler/frogfish species but it looks like they all need a larger tank. I had thought about a soft coral-only tank, since they are usually hardy, fast growing and ironically do horrible in my main tank.

Let me know if you have any ideas!

Also: I realize I've ruined the 'live' aspect of my live rock and sand at this point. If I soak it in saltwater for a while, and then re-add it to the tank with some true live rock/sand, it should be ok, right?

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

...armed with five-five-sixers, and pineapples.
So it's been a while since I checked into the thread. I had a mini cycle going and wanted to wait it all out before I started adding anything. My alk also was pretty low and I've been bringing it back up the last few weeks and the coral went from receding to exploding in growth. I ramped up the intensity of my lights (AI SOLs) from 60 to 80% and some of my SPS are starting to get some crazy colours. Tank is still really plain though compared to my old one.

I've got a few red flatworms that survived from the old tank so I've got to see how I'm going to get rid of them as FW Exit didn't quite get everything after two different attempts. Clears up for a few weeks then they come back.

Recent additions after my self imposed wait period are:
Abalone (creeps the fiancee out, but I think it's awesome)
Sand sifting starfish
Red scooter blenny
Orange diamond sifting goby
Tiger pistol shrimp

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

When I feed my cube, I get a specific (MALIBU RUM WOOOOO) double shotglass, fill it with tank water, chop up whatever I'm feeding into the shotglass, and use a 25ml syringe to feed the fish, spot feed my anemone, corals, etc.

This has had the side effect of unintentionally target training my Percula, Coral Beauty, and Skunk Cleaner shrimp. As soon as I present the shotglass outside of the tank, they line up at the front waterline and start zipping back and forth.

Last night, I was speaking to my girlfriend when I dunked the shotglass into the tank water, not paying complete attention and came up with a shotglass full of salt water, and a Percula clownfish. My girlfriend drat near died laughing; The clownfish was less amused. :downs:

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I'm posting in the reptile and aquarium threads too, but just wanted to give a heads up. I went in to my local Petco, and they were having their dollar a gallon sale on tanks up to 55 gallons. Should run until the 19th, so now's a good time to stock up.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

And now for some kinky snail-on-snail action.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Hope I'm not inviting trouble with this.

http://visuvius.no-ip.info:9125

guest/hello

Gonna feed in a couple hours!

visuvius fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 2, 2013

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

visuvius posted:

Hope I'm not inviting trouble with this.

http://visuvius.no-ip.info:9125

guest/hello

Gonna feed in a couple hours!

That's the login for the settings and stuff, not the stream :). Might wanna change your password now.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

SaNChEzZ posted:

That's the login for the settings and stuff, not the stream :). Might wanna change your password now.

Well that's loving retarded. I'm guessing you tried logging in from a mobile browser or ipad or something? The stream on this new camera I got is h.264 so mobile poo poo doesn't stream it yet. The guest login works great in a desktop browser -- you just get a video stream with no other options.

Whatever moron engineered this thing hosed up royally. When I log in as admin on a mobile browser, it won't show the stream but will let me adjust all the options, apparently they let the guest account do the same thing. At first I thought it only let you adjust things like the video resolution but I see that guest can disable DDNS and poo poo. That's insane.

Thanks for the heads up.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

visuvius posted:

Well that's loving retarded. I'm guessing you tried logging in from a mobile browser or ipad or something? The stream on this new camera I got is h.264 so mobile poo poo doesn't stream it yet. The guest login works great in a desktop browser -- you just get a video stream with no other options.

Whatever moron engineered this thing hosed up royally. When I log in as admin on a mobile browser, it won't show the stream but will let me adjust all the options, apparently they let the guest account do the same thing. At first I thought it only let you adjust things like the video resolution but I see that guest can disable DDNS and poo poo. That's insane.

Thanks for the heads up.

Yep, got it from my mobile. And I agree, that's totally dumb. Maybe you can disable the mobile part somewhere or force desktop emulation?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Pictures:

Not shown:
Purple Monti
3x flame BTAs
4 other fish

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Well, it's only been a bit over one day since I posted the tank up for sale...so far what I expected-everyone just wants to give me their stock hood and some cash to grab the LED setup...Can't say I'm surprised...I did that for a few months before I bit the bullet and bought my own LED setup.

I figure I'll leave it like this for another week or two since I'm not in a huge rush where I need to get rid of the tank. After that I might go ahead and try to sell off the livestock and coral, trash the LR and sand, and then just part everything out. It will definitely take longer and be more of a hassle, but oh well.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

SaNChEzZ posted:

Pictures:

Not shown:
Purple Monti
3x flame BTAs
4 other fish

Dude this tank looks great. I guess I hadn't checked your pictures in a while cause I didn't realize it was this far along. Those are some bigass colonies.

Also, I'll be honest, I'm not really a fan of uhh, objects, in the tank but I'm digging that Buddha head.

What's your light setup?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

You know, neither am I. When we picked up the tank on craigslist 3+ years ago, the head was in there and the fish love it. It's hollow, so they hide in it and stuff, and the mandarin sleeps in it, so I couldn't toss it haha. it was covered in coraline, but stupid asterina stars ate it all.

The lights are 48x3w LED build, it's 30"x5.8"

It's crazy, in just over a year all of this stuff has kinda just exploded. Everything in the tank started as frags, the huge frogspawn was 1 head now it's 12, the hammers were each two heads, now they're multiple, the green acro was the size of a cigarette butt, and the giant monti was about as big as a quarter. The weirdest thing about it is, I only do water changes like every 3 weeks/month, and when I do them I only do 4-8gal. It's a 40+20 setup, you'd think that it'd be dirty (minus the glass, which could stand a good cleaning).

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
SaNChEzZ Your tank is looking amazing! I love how big that green acro has gotten!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
Is that a RTBA below your buddha? It almost looks like a red montipora setosa in the photo, but I know it probably isn't.

Looking great!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Melchior posted:

Is that a RTBA below your buddha? It almost looks like a red montipora setosa in the photo, but I know it probably isn't.

Looking great!

Its a flame tip, there's 3 more on the other side of the rock. It went from 1 -> 4 in about 6 no this with regular feedings. I've since cut that back because everyone that wants to buy them flakes. I'm selling them cheap too!

Oddly enough, my cell phone shows off the colors better than my real camera:

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 9, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

SaNChEzZ posted:

Its a flame tip, there's 3 more on the other side of the rock. It went from 1 -> 4 in about 6 no this with regular feedings. I've since cut that back because everyone that wants to buy them flakes. I'm selling them cheap too!

Oddly enough, my cell phone shows off the colors better than my real camera:

Ya but you won't ship! :argh:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

api call girl posted:

Ya but you won't ship! :argh:

It's scary!! I may resort to that at some point, they're just so cute with their little anemone crabs though :3:

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
That anemone is amazing. How much are you asking for them, and why won't you ship?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

U.S. Barryl posted:

That anemone is amazing. How much are you asking for them, and why won't you ship?

Asking $250 per, which is $100 less than the LFS is selling them for (they got their mother from me, and have been propping it). I don't wanna ship because I'm scared they'll die, and they're too pretty for that haha.

E: Excuse me, they're asking $399 per:
http://www.coralcollection.net/product/inferno-bta

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
Wow, I'm not going to spend 400 on one, but they have some really pretty anemones, and decent prices too. Do you do a lot of business with those guys? I may look into ordering from them sometime if they get decent reviews. It sucks living in central IL. All the shops within an hour from me don't have any interesting livestock.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

U.S. Barryl posted:

Wow, I'm not going to spend 400 on one, but they have some really pretty anemones, and decent prices too. Do you do a lot of business with those guys? I may look into ordering from them sometime if they get decent reviews. It sucks living in central IL. All the shops within an hour from me don't have any interesting livestock.

I have in the past, they're about an hour from me, and there's closer... The guys that run the shop are super cool dudes, they basically said, well we have some tanks, lets start a shop with our collection and see what happens. And they're doing pretty well for themselves.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Well the tank has developed a pretty serious leak at the bottom seal in the front. I really can't justify fixing a 23year old tank that's scratched to poo poo so you know what that means... upgrade time! I really wanted to bump up to 100 gal area but I don't have the floor space so I decided on a 60gal cube. That should be here Friday.

Now I just need to build a stand for this thing...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I love cubes. Love them a lot.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Same. I loving love my 50 gallon cube.

I'd seriously consider a deep sand bed in your new cube man. Not only does it look great sloped but I've had several tanks and this cube with a 5 inch sand bed has been the most stable of the bunch. I've pretty much never had measurable nitrates.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

visuvius posted:

Same. I loving love my 50 gallon cube.

I'd seriously consider a deep sand bed in your new cube man. Not only does it look great sloped but I've had several tanks and this cube with a 5 inch sand bed has been the most stable of the bunch. I've pretty much never had measurable nitrates.

I actually have a question regarding this. Can I go with new sand and just move all my existing rock to the tank or will this cause a cycle? I wanted to switch over to black sand
Never mind, I just read about it always turning grey on the top layer, the question remains tho can I just use new sand?

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 11, 2013

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

Henchman 21 posted:

I actually have a question regarding this. Can I go with new sand and just move all my existing rock to the tank or will this cause a cycle? I wanted to switch over to black sand
Never mind, I just read about it always turning grey on the top layer, the question remains tho can I just use new sand?

Not only can you, you SHOULD. Lots of crap is stuck in the sand and if you try to transport it you'll have a terrible nitrate and maybe ammonia spike. Put in new sand, and put your existing LR on top of it.

You know, I've got black sand but as long as you've got a sand sifter it stays pretty close to black. The only problem with it is that it is ferrous, so if you get a magfloat too close to it some pieces will stick to it and if you don't notice it it will scratch your glass. Keep that in mind :)

My only problem is that I've had two sand sifter gobies and a cleaner wrasse jump out of the tank in the past month. I can't add another until I make a screen top, because I don't really feel like investing another $30 for a floor ornament. My sand looks like poo poo and I need to replace my RO filters, so I've got a TON of diatoms on the sand and a ton of the stringy brown poo poo with bubbles in it all over my coral and rock. Ugh.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008
Speaking of sand sifting gobies, mine is constantly scooping up sand and depositing it all over my rocks and corals. I think I need to get a turkey baster or something to just keep the zoanthids happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
That will be perfect then, I just got a diamond goby so I'll let him take care of it. I think I'm going to get rid of my mag-float anyways and just stick to magic erasers, especially with the new tank being acrylic I don't want to risk scratching it.

• Locked thread