Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah don't get me wrong- I'm digging this rules set a lot. It seems pretty tight and I'm really excited to try it out.

It's also been a pretty big seller around here, which means people will probably still be into it after I get my army together.

The only other thing that seems odd is the Russians getting a free inexperienced unit with every army. I wonder how well it'll scale... In huge games you'd barely notice it, but in a 200 point game a free 60-odd point unit could be a pretty big deal! The effect is that there's no such thing as a small Soviet army, unless you explicitly want one.

It'll be fun to see how this all shakes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yup, that issue of WI is pretty huge alright.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Arquinsiel posted:

Yup, that issue of WI is pretty huge alright.

But almost every article is worth reading.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The add page for open fire after the article is just :rolleyes:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

The add page for open fire after the article is just :rolleyes:

With the woman? Yeah. I rolled my eyes, too.

I do love the name of their Bastogne book, though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Anyone who has not seen the title of that book should grab WI300 and take a look. Well worth it.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Colonial Air Force posted:

With the woman? Yeah. I rolled my eyes, too.

I do love the name of their Bastogne book, though.

I got a copy the day it came out, too, knowing what it was going to be called.

Then again, I have all three Battle of the Bulge books for no good reason.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
No man you don't understand, the Airborne in Bastogne was totaly different to the Airborne in Nijmegan and Eindhoven because

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I just got the November issue, and it's all about Bastogne.

But there's also an article for Saga with an OFFICIAL Byzantine battleboard!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Goddamnit, I am such a sucker for SAGA battleboards.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

moths posted:

Well, issue 301 not only has the Byzantine board, it also talks about Raven's Shadow, the new expansion: http://www.grippingbeast.com/product.php?ItemID=268441556

EDIT: I don't mean to sound like a shill for WI.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

moths posted:

Has anyone seen reasonable fanmade battleboards for Asian (15th-16th century China, Korea, Japan etc.)? That could make me plunge into SAGA, as I would have the miniatures ready.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

lilljonas posted:

Has anyone seen reasonable fanmade battleboards for Asian (15th-16th century China, Korea, Japan etc.)? That could make me plunge into SAGA, as I would have the miniatures ready.

I dont think you will have to worry about fanmade stuff.

The latest episode of Meeples and Miniatures podcast which had Mike Hobbes of Gripping Beast and Rich Jones (game designer, surfer and gently caress knows what he does but he pops up everywhere) said that there are releases lined up until 2015 for Saga and Muskets and Tomahawks. Rich Jones also said he was working on a secret project for Tomahawk Studios and seeing as hes an absolutely massive fan of Samurais (and has his own Samurai skirmish rule set available) and the like I think its a pretty safe bet they are developing a ruleset/source book for that period.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 23, 2012

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The rules are pretty perfect for a Samurai skirmish game, too. I can see it being pretty easy to develop.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Colonial Air Force posted:

The rules are pretty perfect for a Samurai skirmish game, too. I can see it being pretty easy to develop.

The rules are fairly easy to adapt for most forms of sword and shield skirmish games.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Lucky me I guess, some of the local Flames of War guys are looking into starting SAGA. Vikings are kind of "meh" for me but some Eastern Romans? hell yeah.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Sounds cool. I did listen to that m&m podcast, but I didn't pick up that possibility. Their episode on the tomahawks game made it sound really interesting, especially the scenario system. Mixing the two and placing it in medieval asia would be perfect for me, more so than my own trials of shoehorning the Mordheim rules into a historical setting which is as far as I've gotten before.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lilljonas posted:

Sounds cool. I did listen to that m&m podcast, but I didn't pick up that possibility. Their episode on the tomahawks game made it sound really interesting, especially the scenario system. Mixing the two and placing it in medieval asia would be perfect for me, more so than my own trials of shoehorning the Mordheim rules into a historical setting which is as far as I've gotten before.

Muskets and Tomahawks is ace, I bought it a month or two back as well as some Hurons. Cant wait to put a game on.

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Muskets and Tomahawks is ace, I bought it a month or two back as well as some Hurons. Cant wait to put a game on.

Does it run fairly quickly? Some of the reviews make it seem like the turn might get bogged down in record keeping (each unit gets two actions, once activated they can save some/all of the activations for later, figures in the unit can all do different actions). I love the basic scale and sound of the rules, and I have tons of F&I figures, but worry about keeping track of things on the table.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

CrazyLikeAMadDog posted:

Does it run fairly quickly? Some of the reviews make it seem like the turn might get bogged down in record keeping (each unit gets two actions, once activated they can save some/all of the activations for later, figures in the unit can all do different actions). I love the basic scale and sound of the rules, and I have tons of F&I figures, but worry about keeping track of things on the table.

Not played it but I cant see how it would get bogged down. It looks fast play to me. Mechanics are very straight forward and morale rules mean that units, especially irregulars and indians etc are quite brittle and likely to run for it if taking too much of a pasting.

You arent quite correct on some of those statements. Units get 4 actions a turn. You can only save actions for later to do opportunity fire (called vigilance in the rules) and to do that you must save all your turns actions), so no book keeping as I can see, just a counter on the unit I guess if you need a reminder whos on opp fire.
Its entirely card driven too remember so I dont think book keeping would be an issue. I really didnt see any evidence of that from my rules reading and the reviews Ive read.

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007

Serotonin posted:

You arent quite correct on some of those statements. Units get 4 actions a turn. You can only save actions for later to do opportunity fire (called vigilance in the rules) and to do that you must save all your turns actions), so no book keeping as I can see, just a counter on the unit I guess if you need a reminder whos on opp fire.
Its entirely card driven too remember so I dont think book keeping would be an issue. I really didnt see any evidence of that from my rules reading and the reviews Ive read.

Ah. Rereading here it seems like all units of a type will get specific actions off the card draw. These can be done in any order but all must be completed by the time that activation's up. So it does seem faster than I'd feared. Thanks for making me take a 2nd look!

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN
So is the new Open Fire box set a good buy? Because it seems like it and it seems really dope

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you're looking to play British, Americans or Germans in FoW then I'd say go straight for it. There's a decent chunk of of a US army there, a solid core for an Irish Guards with US Paratrooper support army, and the Germans are all kinds of awesome options with pretty much just an artillery unit needed to be done. Buying the other starterbox with three Shermans and two StuGs gives you a really solid pile of metal to use with your squishy mans too, so splitting both with a friend would be a great idea.

If you're looking to do any other WWII game in 15mil then they're still a decent buy, there's a good variety of mans in each.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

If you like Roman poo poo, "Wargames, Soldiers and Strategy" magazine this month has Saga battleboards and rules to fight skirmishes between collegia in Late Republic Rome. You too can be Vorenus and his gang!

Looks fun.

quote:

Feature: Mark Backhouse, 'Mob violence in Late Republican Rome - Clodius and the Collegia'.

Violence played a huge role in the politics of Late Republican Rome. Tiberius Gracchus was one of the first Roman politicians to attempt to use the power of the mob to force through his political agenda. To his enemies, he was regarded as little better than a tyrant who had abused his sacred position as tribune to spread a revolutionary message.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

Arquinsiel posted:

If you're looking to play British, Americans or Germans in FoW then I'd say go straight for it. There's a decent chunk of of a US army there, a solid core for an Irish Guards with US Paratrooper support army, and the Germans are all kinds of awesome options with pretty much just an artillery unit needed to be done. Buying the other starterbox with three Shermans and two StuGs gives you a really solid pile of metal to use with your squishy mans too, so splitting both with a friend would be a great idea.

If you're looking to do any other WWII game in 15mil then they're still a decent buy, there's a good variety of mans in each.
Honestly I want to do a Russian army but the box set gives me a chance to rope someone in with me

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The starter box also comes with the mini-rulebook which, in my opinion, is worth the price alone.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Power Player posted:

Honestly I want to do a Russian army but the box set gives me a chance to rope someone in with me

Russians used Shermans, too. And you can use the infantry units "count as" until you get proper Russians. It's not like 40k where you want to play IG but all you have are Space Marines.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

YF19pilot posted:

Russians used Shermans, too. And you can use the infantry units "count as" until you get proper Russians. .

One of the Russian lists also uses captured German tanks, I believe at least one Stug III is available to them.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Just got Open Fire myself, and I'm a little disappointed in the plastic tanks. Now, at this point I've only got the two Fireflies put together, but they seem to have worse fitting and gap issues than my PSC Shermans.

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but the track/hull pieces all seem to be slightly bent outwards and it seems difficult to try to straighten them, leaving these ugly gaps between the top of the hull and the sides. Don't know how the StuGs will work out, but I'm afraid this will be a 'feature' for the six Sherman Vs yet unbuilt.

I'm all for plastic tanks, but I think BF should probably look into adjusting their tooling a little before going full time with this.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Are you using model glue and rubber bands? I've found that fixes most warping in plastic kits.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

moths posted:

Are you using model glue and rubber bands? I've found that fixes most warping in plastic kits.

rubber bands may help, i'm the kind of idiot who will hold the two pieces together for 15min until the glue dries. but with the fireflies, it just seems too much. the plastic is very thick & dense, so it doesn't give like it needs to bring everything flush.

It is a much heavier plastic than the PSC models, and I didn't have much issue with those.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Huh, that's some bad news then. You could also try running some very hot tap water over it or hitting it with a hair drier, but if that doesn't work there's not much left to try besides gap filler.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Yeah the plastic Shermans particularly require a bit of green stuff to fill in gaps if you want them to look perfect.

Disappointing but I think its a wash between filling in gaps on the new models vs removing and cleaning up all the flash and other defects I generally found on the metal and resin models (for my Turan company it took more time to fix their treads than it did to paint the whole tank).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

YF19pilot posted:

Just got Open Fire myself, and I'm a little disappointed in the plastic tanks. Now, at this point I've only got the two Fireflies put together, but they seem to have worse fitting and gap issues than my PSC Shermans.

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but the track/hull pieces all seem to be slightly bent outwards and it seems difficult to try to straighten them, leaving these ugly gaps between the top of the hull and the sides. Don't know how the StuGs will work out, but I'm afraid this will be a 'feature' for the six Sherman Vs yet unbuilt.

I'm all for plastic tanks, but I think BF should probably look into adjusting their tooling a little before going full time with this.

How are they scale-wise in comparison to the PSC tanks? I'm planning on a 11th armoured division army (from the website), and I was planning on using PSC tanks to fill out the numbers. Would you they be good in the same platoon? If not, the same army?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The Battlefront plastic Shermans are about the same width as the PSC ones but much longer. Slightly longer than the Battlefront Resin Shermans even.

Mixing the Battlefront Resin and Battlefront plastic models wouldn't be that bad. Or mixing the Battlefront Resin and PSC Plastics, But I personally wouldn't mix the PSC plastics and the Battlefront Plastics (in the same platoon anyway) as the Battlefront ones are big enough (compared to the PSC plastics) to look like a different tank even from a distance.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

YF19pilot posted:

I had the same problem when I picked up a box yesterday, my fix was to remove the tab on the back of the bottom segment of the tank on the offending side. this seemed to let everything fit together better.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Numlock posted:

The Battlefront plastic Shermans are about the same width as the PSC ones but much longer. Slightly longer than the Battlefront Resin Shermans even.

Mixing the Battlefront Resin and Battlefront plastic models wouldn't be that bad. Or mixing the Battlefront Resin and PSC Plastics, But I personally wouldn't mix the PSC plastics and the Battlefront Plastics (in the same platoon anyway) as the Battlefront ones are big enough (compared to the PSC plastics) to look like a different tank even from a distance.

Right. So keep the BF and PSC shermans in different platoons. Not a problem.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Does anyone know of a Baccus 6mm distributor or retailer in the US? Scale Creep minis has them, but the markup is pretty high, 2-3 bucks per blister over retail price.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Mr.Booger posted:

Does anyone know of a Baccus 6mm distributor or retailer in the US? Scale Creep minis has them, but the markup is pretty high, 2-3 bucks per blister over retail price.

No, I think they are the only one. Is the markup more than the 25% international postage from Baccus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
in most cases ya, a pack of inf costs 8.08 US after conversion, but 10.50 on their site. Hoping to find distributor so I could buy them without the markup, or a place with free shipping, I am okay paying SRP, just the shipping is killer.