Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Seems like. DT has been like a jackhammer to the face all weekend. Somehow by magic the 60 minutes I signed up for turned into 96, clearly, Sally is a magician. Sigh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Yeah my 60 turned into 112 for today. Thankfully got it done due to people mentioning EOD is kind of flexible.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Slightly Used Cake posted:

Seems like. DT has been like a jackhammer to the face all weekend. Somehow by magic the 60 minutes I signed up for turned into 96, clearly, Sally is a magician. Sigh

This is why I've been limiting my time to 30m right now, because I know that the odds are I'll either get 40 or 50 and that's kinda pushing it but I can manage.

E: lol, that italian dude is a total loving troll to the producer, using his accent to purposefully mis-pronounce words. They made him say "hazel nut cream" and he keeps doing poo poo like "nazen nut" or "azen nut" when saying the lines because he hates that they didn't call it a mousse.

A: I am making a nazen nut [PH] cream croquembouche.
Q: Say 'hazel nut.'
A: Hazel nut.
Q: Again.
A: Azen nut [PH].

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 23, 2015

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Fresh DT policy hot off the presses for ya. They don't want anyone signing up for less than 30m of work at a time (Which is weird because I know for a fact they actually get a lot of smaller poo poo anyway), and if you reject 2+ files in a week they'll not assign you anything else out of spite, and if you reject one part of an assignment you're rejecting every part from now on, so even if one of the files they give you is unlistenable trash garbage that isn't worth it but the rest is, too bad.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!
Yeah, I also got the vibe that the rejection "policy" was done out of spite. I mean... not receiving any more work that week and "possibly" the following? What kind of a policy is "possibly"? Hey DT, how about you start scaling the pay on your projects appropriately so we don't have to spend 4 hours schlogging through 10 minutes of absolute poo poo for 75 cents/min?

Oh sorry, I meant 80 cents/min because those extra 5 cents make those poo poo projects SO WORTH IT.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
My immediate response was to reply to HR and ask if that applies to assignments I have to reject because they are well over my requested minutes. And the wait begins.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Slightly Used Cake posted:

My immediate response was to reply to HR and ask if that applies to assignments I have to reject because they are well over my requested minutes. And the wait begins.

Gonna have to lol when the answer is "yes".

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
What the hell? I didn't get any email like this. I took the day off because I ended up working all weekend, but still.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Gonna have to lol when the answer is "yes".

Actually, my response seems kind of fair on their end...but also means they're still giving no fucks.

"This is mainly for people who are constantly rejecting files. We are finding this to be the case on a regular basis mainly because they are more difficult than others. We can't conduct business that way. We receive work from different clients with a variety of different audio/video qualities and need to be able to count on our transcriptionist to take on work of all qualities."

Edit: I also asked if this meant that because of this they were also going to improve the compensation for the lovely files, I was told this

"Anytime we can pay better, we do. We negotiate the rates with our clients and can only afford to pay based on what they pay. We spread the difficult files around just like we do the better quality files. We try to be as fair as possible about it so the same people are not always stuck with the more difficult files. "

So... yeah. Basically we should all be team players and stop whining I guess. To be honest, I will say this, when I have had really lovely files and it's taken more time and I've let them know, they've always been really good about it because at least I'm willing to give it a crack. This new policy is nothing new, just, you know, accept you might get poo poo from them. :shrug:

Slightly Used Cake fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 23, 2015

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
When I get lovely files I'll bitch on the forums and also to my friends but I'll still do them because they represent money and that's something that I like. I've only rejected files because I can't do them due to time and they didn't bother checking the calendar or because something's come up (Although they did once purposefully take me off the schedule for a week and a half and told me they did the last time I had to do that so IDK).

Come to think of it, I don't think I've rejected any of JKL's files at all yet, and I've gotten some weird ultra-low-quality stuff from him before. Have had to ask for extensions though. But then, they're more understanding about [inaudible] use than DT is.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Do "you knows" go in clean verbatim because this dude says you know more than what he's actually talking about so, you know, you know, you know, the transcription looks like, you know, this.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
I always, you know, put them in there, you know, for clean verbatim. I do think they should count as a stutter or whatever though.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

When I get lovely files I'll bitch on the forums and also to my friends but I'll still do them because they represent money and that's something that I like. I've only rejected files because I can't do them due to time and they didn't bother checking the calendar or because something's come up (Although they did once purposefully take me off the schedule for a week and a half and told me they did the last time I had to do that so IDK).

Come to think of it, I don't think I've rejected any of JKL's files at all yet, and I've gotten some weird ultra-low-quality stuff from him before. Have had to ask for extensions though. But then, they're more understanding about [inaudible] use than DT is.

Yeah, our rule is try to keep it below 10 [inaudibles] for every 30 minutes of audio, though admittedly most of our stuff is well-mic'd broadcast programming. Any more than that and you're not saving the in-house editor much time, but then again our in-house editors have coworkers they can ask for listens. But definitely don't be slapping [inaudible]s around if you've only given it 2-3 listens. Maybe ~5 listens or so. More than 10 listens and I understand your per-minute rate starts to dip a little, so it's a balancing act for sure.

e: vvv Yeah, and it causes me to reconsider how large their workforce actually is. Large enough to pay the rates that they do, but not large enough to not have to send out that announcement.

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 24, 2015

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Ouch. I mean, on the one hand they do have a valid point -- it does turn into a nightmare for assigners when people reject tons of work, but the lesson they need to take from it is "we need to figure out a way to charge/compensate better for hard work" not "we need to yell at the galley slaves until they voluntarily start doing more work for less pay." I just had a discussion last night about pay scales with my per-hour client and she was thrilled to know how much I appreciate their system over places like DT and such. And I've never had to kick anything back, just the occasional "hey, this is a really bad file so it's going to take some extra time" heads up email.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Yeah, our rule is try to keep it below 10 [inaudibles] for every 30 minutes of audio, though admittedly most of our stuff is well-mic'd broadcast programming. Any more than that and you're not saving the in-house editor much time, but then again our in-house editors have coworkers they can ask for listens. But definitely don't be slapping [inaudible]s around if you've only given it 2-3 listens. Maybe ~5 listens or so. More than 10 listens and I understand your per-minute rate starts to dip a little, so it's a balancing act for sure.

Which is infinitely more flexible than DT's, since their policy is pretty much "If we see an [INAUDIBLE] during the few minutes that we go QC your file, we're kicking the file back to you." They would literally rather have you guess at what someone says, which they do have tags for. I'm not a fan of having to tag anything either way, I'd like to just get it right, but sometimes you just can't understand someone.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
For the record I didn't get this DT e-mail either, but I've also never turned down a file for quality reasons, only "y'all double-booked me with rush jobs" reasons.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I turn down files for quality reasons pretty regularly with them, as well as the over-assigning reason. They don't seem to get that I have other clients I do work for and I do appreciate those two hours of audio you want to give me but no. This is not going to change how frequently I reject assignments. I think I'll be quicker to kick the garbage back.

edit: Obviousness.

ohnobugs fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 24, 2015

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Does the fact that I received the same email and others didn't mean I'm on some sort of poo poo list?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

St. John Coltrane posted:

Does the fact that I received the same email and others didn't mean I'm on some sort of poo poo list?

Their e-mail system is basically garbage, so not really.

spatnack
Apr 26, 2012

I got that email and I haven't turned down any assignments so far. Maybe I'm just poo poo in general though.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Shima Honnou posted:

Their e-mail system is basically garbage, so not really.

Yeah, that email included an updated copy of the guidelines.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I was the first one to say I hadn't received the mail, and I actually did get it, my phone just decided gently caress you, you don't need email alerts for awhile.

I wonder if this has to do with that big 'this could be a weekly or even daily' client from a few weeks ago. The one that was an absolute loving joke, and was never mentioned again after the first wave. If they're honestly unhappy that people rejected those files, then they've really started to lose touch with reality.

Overall I think this is pretty poo poo, and they should actually spend some time assessing their projects and paying rates that are better represent the time involved, but I'm just a lowly scrub, so it's not like what I think matters. I wonder what they consider as 'constantly rejecting files'. I turn down maybe one a month or so, generally due to quality reasons.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
On the plus side, at least DT hasn't busted the pay down to like sub 50 cents a minute like that one place I inquired about like a month ago. If DT suddenly said "Hey from now on everyone gets $30 per hour of footage as a maximum" I would take a picture of myself doing goatse and frame it and personally mail it to Sally via literal USPS mail.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

I was the first one to say I hadn't received the mail, and I actually did get it, my phone just decided gently caress you, you don't need email alerts for awhile.

I wonder if this has to do with that big 'this could be a weekly or even daily' client from a few weeks ago. The one that was an absolute loving joke, and was never mentioned again after the first wave. If they're honestly unhappy that people rejected those files, then they've really started to lose touch with reality.

Overall I think this is pretty poo poo, and they should actually spend some time assessing their projects and paying rates that are better represent the time involved, but I'm just a lowly scrub, so it's not like what I think matters. I wonder what they consider as 'constantly rejecting files'. I turn down maybe one a month or so, generally due to quality reasons.

That client did reappear actually for a couple of weeks, but since she's moving from place to place I think she just batch dumps. That or they had too much kickback because of the accents. I predict if you were in that batch of folks, you'll see more of it.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Since everyone's griping, I popped over to Craigslist and did a search. Came up mostly dry, unfortunately. Allegis is hiring, but they say 2 years experience once you get to their actual hiring portal. Crowdsurf drew a complete gawp from me until I realized their .15/min rate was for editing/proofing. Transcribe.com is hiring, but it's through Crowdsource and the pay's like .40-.70 a minute (although they claim to be increasing that sometime soon).

EDIT: Oho! Paul M. Garton is hiring. .90 per minute. I actually worked for him back when I was a wee little one-celled transcriber, and he was a good guy to work for. I think a friend of mine is still doing editing/proofing for him. He definitely prefers transcription experience -- he's the source for my "most transcribers wash out in six months" quote -- but as long as you're not completely green you might give him a shot.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

thylacine posted:

Do "you knows" go in clean verbatim because this dude says you know more than what he's actually talking about so, you know, you know, you know, the transcription looks like, you know, this.

You knows are bad.

You know what I mean and you know what I'm sayin' are even worse because they're longer. I mean, just look at this thing that I literally just transcribed and this is just a couple minutes into a 30 minute DT file. Anyone who's worked this show probably knows what I'm saying here.

A: I mean, like, everybody know, when you got a little sister, the first time she get another boyfriend that you feel like he ain't poo poo, you gonna be all in they poo poo, you know what I'm sayin'? You gonna be like, "Man, gently caress that nigga," you know what I'm sayin'? "gently caress him." Blah, you know what I'm sayin'? But, as we got older and we, you know, we've been around each other, you know them sayin', 'cause gangsters gonna meet wherever gangsters meet at, you know them sayin'? You see they get down. You see you get down, and I see, like, they take care of they kids, you know what I'm sayin'? Even the kid that ain't his, you know them sayin'? So I honor him for that.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!
Gonna go ahead and guess that you're adding :00 to the end of all of those timecodes, yes? :rolleyes:

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy

I got the same email, and I haven't asked for work from them in months.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Well, the other day I posted "I haven't got a bad file" then I got some lovely phone recordings so I thought I'd tell you about one weird trick to make people easier to understand.

Unfortunately this program only works on Windows.

You might use your computer's built-in equalizer to cut out certain frequencies, but you can take it one step further by using a system wide parametric equalizer. This gives you full control over which frequencies to cut so you can understand ol' bob at the job site.

First, the equalizer itself: http://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

I downloaded this to have more control when I got some not-very-fancy-but-recommended headphones last month (JVC RX700s, they're not $600 but they are a good first-step if you want good headphones.)

After you install Equalizer APO you want the graphic front end called Peace. If you don't have this, changing the equalizer involves editing a text file like it's 1988.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/

You'll have to reboot eventually, I don't remember if it's after installing one or the other.

After you're all installed you can edit the equalizer in real time. You can even set it up, depending on your sperge level, to have a ton of different sliders for different frequencies. Otherwise you can use the default amount and drop out the frequencies that are making it hard to hear poo poo so just the good ones come through.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

AuntBuck posted:

I'm kind of in awe you've been doing it this long. I think I lasted nine months.

I just considered it a good way to earn a little extra dough. Only really did it 10 hours a week while I concentrated on my full time job. Job searching 1000 miles away is a pain. I wouldn't have minded stretching this out for 40 hours a week once I got up there as a preferred rarer until a full time gig came along.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Want to sleep... but also want to accept $2/min rush work.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Yep. I was just thinking about how I'm kinda tired, and I think I'll go to bed early tonight and...nope!

Edit: drat, it's been a lucky day. 5 minutes into the super rush, and the producer and hair dude are still chatting it up! My earlier file had 12 full minutes of crew bullshitting at the front of it.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 26, 2015

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Oh yeah, this is easy money for sure. So much [NON-INTERVIEW] due to sirens and trucks backing up going beep beep beep.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
As soon as she named the show I was like yes, because the first season of any reality TV is so loving brilliant. Everybody is scattered as hell. <3

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Don't sleep, do more work, make more money, sleep on the money (in the daytime)

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Don't sleep, do more work, make more money, sleep on the money (in the daytime)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HrmD_vIMIk

So, this then.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Oh good, another client that wants to cut out the questions. So glad you're looking out for us, DT.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
If they're stopping roll or cutting the tape to get rid of the questions, they can go gently caress themselves.

If they're speaking the questions and don't want them transcribed, show me to them so I can kiss them.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
I don't mind if it's running, time, but with BITC, yes, please go stand in the corner until you learn to understand being a grown up in business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Y'all are making me glad I bailed from DT to do some extra work for my primary job. The new rules seem patently ridiculous at their pay rate, and their file quality.

And gently caress cutting questions, oh my god. I'm pretty sure I can guess what the job is, too.