Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

dj_clawson posted:

tl;dr PEOPLE ARE UPSET ON TUMBLR

Well that's about as rare as those mysterious lights above the Arby's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Not sure how much crossover there is between people that like Night Vale and Magic: the Gathering, but Constructed Resources had a fun little WTNV parody near the end of the episode (starts at 1:39:37). Please excuse the other guy chuckling, he has no idea what is happening.

Caros
May 14, 2008

dj_clawson posted:

It was a reading of erotic fan fiction about Watchmen in Brooklyn, full of hipster nerds, and some people got upset about the content. Apparently some woman started crying and walked out after a "chick with dicks" (they happened to be action figure dicks; it's very hard to put in context) joke and then posted on Tumblr about it and said she won't listen to Cecil anymore or Night Vale. Then it got extended out (falsely) that it had something to do with Night Vale or that Jeffrey Cranor had written the story (he hadn't) or that Joseph was also involved (he wasn't). I remember laughing pretty hard at that joke, and everyone else laughing, but now the MC has gone back on it and said she didn't laugh and it wasn't funny. But whatever, everyone seemed to be cool with the molestation of a teenager by his action figure in the same story, or maybe just felt compelled to think, "I signed up for an edgy and uncomfortable set of satire sex stories that are intentionally supposed to be pushing boundaries, maybe there's going to be some material I don't like, and it's not the end of the world." But said person did not take that stance, and she is demanding an apology from Cecil and from Jeffrey for being complicit (in that he didn't stand up and stop the reading immediately, therefore he is a terrible person).

Update: Jeffrey has written a polite post about it on Tumblr.

tl;dr PEOPLE ARE UPSET ON TUMBLR

Every time I hear something about this I have to worry about how much time my wife spends on tumblr :ohdear:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Caros posted:

Every time I hear something about this I have to worry about how much time my wife spends on tumblr :ohdear:

It's not omnipresent, I use it to follow some artists who post pretty pictures and never see any of that poo poo.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Caros posted:

I spend way more time on tumblr than on here, and exclusively follow "SJW types", and I've got no idea where goons find these people constantly.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
One of my earliest Google searches of WtNV led me across a "trigger warning" Night Vale fan site on tumblr that reviewed each episode with a list of what would trigger different types of anxiety.

At least it was more mild than the usual SJW stereotypes of tumblr.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

senae posted:

I spend way more time on tumblr than on here, and exclusively follow "SJW types", and I've got no idea where goons find these people constantly.
One of my favorite artists on there is constantly getting poo poo on by self-righteous but incredibly misinformed people. Other than her previously offensive name, which she's changed, I don't think there's any valid reason for it. Hell, apparently people have been attacked for just reblogging her stuff.
Basically there are some people on Tumblr who like to get attention by making up stories about other people or blowing existing stories out of proportion and a whole lot more who refuse to do any research of their own and automatically assume that anything anyone blogs is true as long as it's inflammatory enough. It also happened when people started claiming that the DashCon disaster was somehow WtNV's fault.

Edit: Actually, that specific incident was the result of people believing what those who ran DashCon itself claimed, so it isn't a good example, but still.

Action Yak fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 10, 2014

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Action Yak Police posted:

One of my favorite artists on there is constantly getting poo poo on by self-righteous but incredibly misinformed people. Other than her previously offensive name, which she's changed, I don't think there's any valid reason for it. Hell, apparently people have been attacked for just reblogging her stuff.
Basically there are some people on Tumblr who like to get attention by making up stories about other people or blowing existing stories out of proportion and a whole lot more who refuse to do any research of their own and automatically assume that anything anyone blogs is true as long as it's inflammatory enough. It also happened when people started claiming that the DashCon disaster was somehow WtNV's fault.

Edit: Actually, that specific incident was the result of people believing what those who ran DashCon itself claimed, so it isn't a good example, but still.

That kind of thing happens in pretty much any community once it gets big enough, and the internet and it's anonymity (and ease of creating multiple personas) only exaggerates this.

See: the framing of completely innocent people for the Boston Marathon bombing, fueled initially by reddit (and very much echoed here on SA where people were propagating the same speculative bullshit), culminating in those same innocent people having the faces plastered on the front page of the New York Post and other similar media outlets.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Sadly I wasn't super-keen on the crossover. There were some good jokes but the plot was a mess and a lot of it was too on the nose.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I met Cecil and Dylan at NYCC and gave them little knitted Glow Clouds and totally forgot to take a picture of it, dang it. :doh:

However Cecil and Dylan were super nice and the con-exclusive shirt and poster are amazing!

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
I recently stumbled onto this podcast and quickly devoured all the episodes. Now I click on this thread and am delighted to read of its beginnings at the start of the thread, I had no idea it was started by SA posters. However this delightful news is somewhat dampened by my just finding out they are doing a live show in my town Birmingham, UK next Sunday. I was so excited, until I discovered it was sold out :(

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I spent my long weekend working at the Thrilling Adventure Hour booth at NYCC. I posted this in the TAH thread but thought you guys might enjoy it here too.

There was one adorable 12-ish year old girl who was a huge Night Vale fan that came by to ask where the Night Vale booth was while Hal was doing a signing. So I squatted down to get eye level with her and pointed out Hal sitting at the signing part of the booth and said "Do you know who that is? That's STEVE CARLSBERG!" and the thrill and fear in her eyes was the most amazing thing. I kind of shepherded her over to the booth and even though they weren't supposed to do pictures, it was slow at that point so after signing her little card thing Hal came out from behind the booth and gave her hugs and got his picture taken with her. She said she'd written an article about WTNV in her school paper so Hal had her mom tweet it to him so he could read it. She was crying and shaking, it was the cutest thing.

I told her mom to bring her back in an hour, and they did, when Mark Gagliardi was signing. So then I told her that John Peters... you know, the Farmer? was there and again with the shaking and crying. Mark also took a picture with her (it'd gotten slow by that point, too) and she came back over to show us his autograph, and he'd signed it "Mark Gagliardi... you know the farmer?" and was the happiest thing on earth. Seriously, that little girl made the entire thing worth it if it hadn't been already.

I *think* we heard that she was able to get Cecil's autograph at one point, too. We didn't have any idea what was going on at the WTNV booth most of the time since it was on the opposite end of the show floor as us, but I hope she did.

Also, Cecil was in the TAH show at the Bell House on Saturday and was excellent, as always. :)

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Listening to the new episode. As soon as I realized who was voicing Earl Harlan I giggled like a loon.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Earl's voice was great. The revelation about Cecil's age is great. His reaction was great. It was all so great.

It did sound rather obvious that his part was recorded elsewhere though.

Slack Motherfucker
Aug 16, 2005

Pillbug

Annakie posted:

adorable 12-ish year old girl

What a great story :3: you're all so nice.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

I love that the whole "time doesn't work in Night Vale" thing started out (at least in my mind) as a "hey, Night Vale sure is weird, right?" but now it's like "No, really. Time doesn't work in Night Vale" and we're starting to see the implications or repercussions or whatever of that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The imaginary runningback apologizing for a 'lack of transparency' was legitimately one of the funniest jokes I've heard in a while.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 15, 2014

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I was bummed that we didn;'t get Cecil's Mom lore but at least we have Cecil is probably immortal lore.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Solaris Knight posted:

I was bummed that we didn;'t get Cecil's Mom lore but at least we have Cecil is probably immortal lore.

But does this mean Night Vale has had tape recorder technology for over a century?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Considering how ancient the statue of Lee Marvin is, nothing would surprise me.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Kazy posted:

But does this mean Night Vale has had tape recorder technology for over a century?

Now you're assuming that Night Vale is contemporary.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Not so much assuming Night Vale is contemporary, but assuming that time works in any conventional sense, which is patently absurd according to science.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

Rumor on Tumblr is that the episode was taken down because they were afraid that people would try to recreate the recipe and overdose on nutmeg? It's a dessert with fish in it, and "nutmeg" is described as an animal. That would be like trying to recreate the Portal cake from stuff GlaDos says, which if I recall included fish as well and sand.
Maybe there's an entirely different reason, but you can't really predict what idiotic stuff people will do.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Also Earl totally mentioned that it was deadly. They should listen to the chef. :colbert:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
No way. That was an amazing episode and I even recommended it to people who'd never listened to Night Vale before.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Action Yak Police posted:

Rumor on Tumblr is that the episode was taken down because they were afraid that people would try to recreate the recipe and overdose on nutmeg? It's a dessert with fish in it, and "nutmeg" is described as an animal.

Well actually it's not a dessert with fish in it, the recipe describes marscapone as a "type of fish" but it's actually just a type of cheese.

I have no idea what happened with the episode but a cup and a half of nutmeg is indeed technically a toxic amount, and then some. If that's why it was taken down, it actually probably is a good idea since I can imagine hardcore NV fans attempting any recipe they hear in the show, fish or no (and keep in mind a lot of the fans are like 12 years old and so not as likely to think critically about this sort of thing).

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I hope if they took the episode down to fix the recipe, they did it because they were embarrassed about how they mispronounced mascarpone.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
This was just a really really nice episode. I loved the pep rally, the Staples ad, and Diane Creighton's son Josh.

How is a child with a constantly changing physical form, "A bit tubby?" Susan Willman's just a meanie!

tom bob-ombadil fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 17, 2014

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

btw in case anyone needs it the episode is still up on the WTNV soundcloud. You guys have to promise me not to overdose on nutmeg.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The imaginary runningback apologizing for a 'lack of transparency' was legitimately one of the funniest jokes I've heard in a while.

I fuckin lost my poo poo at that.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Earwicker posted:

btw in case anyone needs it the episode is still up on the WTNV soundcloud. You guys have to promise me not to overdose on nutmeg.

Thanks for that, I saw there was a new Night Vale in iTunes but it wouldn't download.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Wandering Knitter posted:

Also Earl totally mentioned that it was deadly. They should listen to the chef. :colbert:

Man said it was highly poisonous, there's no excuse :argh:

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Has there been any official word about this? Will the episode ever come back, or will it become the show's first official lost episode?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 16, 2014

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
We didn't take it down. Just tried downloading it and it worked. Is it still not working for you all?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

They probably took it down to avoid encouraging people to try deveining nutmeg themselves. It's very wreckless to encourage handling such a dangerous animal.

They probably took it down to avoid encouraging people to try deveining nutmeg themselves. It's very wreckless to encourage handling such a dangerous animal.

e: Or maybe what maxnmona said

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

maxnmona posted:

We didn't take it down. Just tried downloading it and it worked. Is it still not working for you all?

Huh. It's mysteriously appeared. Out of curiousity, was the recipe ever an issue, or are the Tumblr users' theory glands oozing too much?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 16, 2014

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

BiggerJ posted:

Huh. It's mysteriously appeared. Out of curiousity, was the recipe ever an issue, or are the Tumblr users' theory glands oozing too much?

There are no issues with the episode. There was some sort of technical problem that jeffrey fixed.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Maybe you could issue a statement on Twitter or something to the people of Tumblr. Possible angles: 'nutmeg isn't real', 'your bodies are not real'.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 16, 2014

Ojo
Jul 4, 2003

Well... when I said that I had a plan, I meant that I have to plan... the plan.

This episode has added to my concern that Cecil might end up seeking solace in Earl if Carlos doesn't return soon. :ohdear:

I finally got to listen to the TAH crossover recently, and now I'm looking forward to catching up with that show too. I especially appreciated more Steve Carlsberg.

I'm guessing that character isn't in the Librarian live show, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ojo posted:

I'm guessing that character isn't in the Librarian live show, though?

There's some versions of the Librarian he was in and some he wasn't. I'm pretty sure he will be in the one we do in January since it is supposed to have EVERYONE