Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

exquisite tea posted:

Yes they are nothing alike at all. Sardines are fleshy, oily fish that you eat. Anchovies as they are usually prepared are heavily salted fish paste that you use for a cooking base and to accent food, never as a meal.

Anchovies are not that dissimilar from Sardines, they are actually both part of the herring family of fish. Anchovies are smaller, but the fillets are loving awesome packed in vinegar or oil. The salty anchovy people are familiar with on pizza or in a caesar salad are just one way they are prepared and the way most American's know anchovies.

In Spain, for example, boquerones (white anchovy filet) are very popular, meaty and oily and have a delicate taste.They are not salty at all but they are loving delicious, especially in vinegar with something crunchy and spicy - just like sardines.

Saltin fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

be a real dad and just dump all of the ingredients on the rotating plate in the microwave and run it for ten minutes. come back and eat it straight out of the microwave with your bare hands. then wash up with some gojo and exercise your shart separator while watching sports center from a 60-month-financed la-z-boy

That plate got dirty so I put it in the garage

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
So, I want to start off by thanking Number 1 Sexy Dad for being just about the most sexy dad around. What's sexy? Generosity. Generosity is sexy.

You see, us Canadagoons complain we can't get King Oscars every once in a while. But this time, a true hero stepped up to the plate.

Papa Sexy Numero Un stepped up to the plate and mailed me some delightful, no strings attached fishy delights.

I was going to go to the butcher shop today but I don't need to anymore. Can't wait to crack one of these open. Trip report when I've eaten.

Ceciltron fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 10, 2015

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
my pops brought me up eatin some King Oscar sardines in olive oil on football sundays and now I get the hankerings all the time

i would 100% stay away from sardines in mustard though, what the gently caress who thought that was a good idea

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I proudly handed my grocery manager the King Oscar Mackerel "Please Carry Me" card that I received with the tasting set, and told him all about our beloved sardines and how much the KO Mackerel would appeal to Dads. He looked pretty bewildered but took my name and number to notify me when the product arrives. He said something about it needing to be approved by the buyer, distributor, etc blah blah blah.

Keep your fingers crossed, 'dine goons.

Also, I'm about to pull the trigger on an order of chocolates shaped like sardines because why not.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Sardines in mustard are prettygood.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Sheep-Goats posted:

Truth right here.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Sheep-Goats posted:

sorry about the extra chromosome

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Ceciltron posted:

So, I want to start off by thanking Number 1 Sexy Dad for being just about the most sexy dad around. What's sexy? Generosity. Generosity is sexy.

You see, us Canadagoons complain we can't get King Oscars every once in a while. But this time, a true hero stepped up to the plate.

Papa Sexy Numero Un stepped up to the plate and mailed me some delightful, no strings attached fishy delights.

I was going to go to the butcher shop today but I don't need to anymore. Can't wait to crack one of these open. Trip report when I've eaten.

Super glad they made it! You're welcome! I hope you enjoy them!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Man if a goon ever mails me something I'm going to make him use my screen name I'm inspired.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

13 year old girls posted:

sorry about the extra chromosome

Your dad shaves his butthole

naem
May 29, 2011

13 year old girls posted:

my pops brought me up eatin some King Oscar sardines in olive oil on football sundays and now I get the hankerings all the time

i would 100% stay away from sardines in mustard though, what the gently caress who thought that was a good idea

Mustard was one of like, four flavors that even existed before refrigeration so now its traditional

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Cracked open my KO Mackerel tonight. Ate it with some sriraririacha sauce on saltines.

For some reason I expected them to be more like fillets, but they were just kind of pieces thrown in with oil. Great flavor and consistency but after I got halfway through the tin, I had to drain off some oil just to get at the smaller pieces.

Definitely going to give the card to my grocer. This could be a very nice way to ease people into canned fish if they're squeamish about dines

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
mustard goes in tartar sauce
tartar sauce goes on fish

I ate frozen breaded haddock for dinner because other people, but I made an awesome tartar sauce with a ton of fresh dill and capers and green onions and hot sauce and dijon and lemon

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Finally got round to making the fisherman's eggs. Put it on half a fresh baguette I just picked up.

It was excellent, and I don't feel like I'll need to eat for the rest of the day. Definitely going to be making those again.

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

Chris Cooley is my Life Coach.
Guys can we please cool it with the sardine love? My workmate reads and posts in this thread and he's stinking up our goddamn office constantly. He even has a sardine tshirt.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Captain Satire posted:

Guys can we please cool it with the sardine love? My workmate reads and posts in this thread and he's stinking up our goddamn office constantly. He even has a sardine tshirt.

Seems like you have a great workmate, get yourself some sardines, talk about fishing and get some good office bonding time in.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
E COME OUT, STU, TOM O'Connor, and he says to this man what do you do for a living? And the man says he works for Shell, or Exxon, one of them firms, and tom O'Connor Stu, he says to him, off the top of his head, are you a sardine? It was ilarious, stu

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Sardines are good and I have to pick some up tomorrow :)

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
I'm thinking of sending my SASS Santee some sardine stuff. He doesn't post in this thread. Any recommendations, goons?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Send him some little fishes in a can.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

withak posted:

Send him some little fishes in a can.

And some crackers.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Maw posted:

And some crackers.

And hot sauce with mustard

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Save the box from one of the good cans and eat the dines and then put a little note in there that says "Sorry I ate some of your dine haha gently caress your SASS 2015."

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Has anyone linked the only good sardine-based comedy act?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJAn70KjifY

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nanomashoes posted:

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

Nanomashoes posted:

Holy poo poo lol

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

I think I need to write that into my will...

Aluminum casket, fill with oil, hot sauce and put me 6 feet under.

The morlocks will appreciate this in the future.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Save the box from one of the good cans and eat the dines and then put a little note in there that says "Sorry I ate some of your dine haha gently caress your SASS 2015."

Please don't do this, it's mean and childish.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Nanomashoes posted:

Thank you. For this.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Sharzak posted:

E COME OUT, STU, TOM O'Connor, and he says to this man what do you do for a living? And the man says he works for Shell, or Exxon, one of them firms, and tom O'Connor Stu, he says to him, off the top of his head, are you a sardine? It was ilarious, stu

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

:)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

doctorfrog posted:

Or, maybe, do it.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
For the record, dine deviled eggs are pretty good.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

doctorfrog posted:

Of course not. I'm going to the grocery store (and using my KO coupons) later today to buy a fine selection for my Santee.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Hello friends i will be goldminding this in a few days so please make any parting words or dont.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

a starwar betamax posted:

Hello friends i will be goldminding this in a few days so please make any parting words or dont.

I like sardine. I like thread.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

I like sardine. I like thread.

this. This. THIS!

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I bought a ton of KO tins yesterday because they were on sale. Thanks SA, me and my cat have you to thank for our new love for sardines. :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

without this thread i would never have summoned the courage to try dines

so thank you thread. thank you dines.

you are good and as long as i have you all is good

• Locked thread