Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

So will ship crashes actually look like the trailers now instead of ships just being obliterated into dust?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Kinda shocked my save game with a load of mods still works with the new update, On the downside the azimuth 6pt small reactors seem to put out less power or the ntech T2 atmo thrusters eat more because I nearly crashed a ship on a 15km flight so it might be worth double checking power requirements of any ships you want to keep.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGAPZPU4I5g

That is pretty impressive.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
But what are the actual practical implications?

Carusel bases?

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

And I was just hoping for some decent content. A good update.

McGiggins posted:

But what are the actual practical implications?

Carusel bases?

Small ship bridges in large ships don't explode. Stuff like X-wing s-foils, ramps and elevators without drag or exploding. Basicly anything and "don't explode".

I'm sure some stuff will still explode.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
This was the huge new update? Disappoint.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

McGiggins posted:

What were you expecting? Rotors and pistons have been broken since like 2013...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

McGiggins posted:

On the contrary, this is major. They can't create anything that actually involves fun gameplay poo poo unless the engine works right, and they just fixed that issue. If they just started throwing out random new gameplay systems before this, they'd have to rebuild them all every time they made changes to the basic engine code.

Turret code seems to be fixed up as well, because gatling turrets are much better at swatting missiles now.

And gotta test the important things of course; FIRE MISSILE! :byodood:

Three reinforced targets stacked together, each with three reinforced armor layers. It'll do. I guess.

I also lobbed a missile at a nefarious rogue pirate-controlled Battlecarrier to see how it handled it.

Turns out very well, in fact :stare:. I lobbed a second missile at it right afterwards, assuming the shields would deplete, but it managed to regen fast enough to eat the second one too.

I've also been working a heavy VTOL lifter, but never been happy with the cockpit.

It's now a two-man enclosed cockpit, which gives it a much better look of a heavy support craft I think. It's also got shield generators, which are good for all of a stray hit or two, and a shitload of the little 5x56mm sentry turrets from the Battle Cannon modpack.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 18, 2017

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
a) Holy poo poo that's awesome.
b) Did they remove the cheat menu? I was building a new ground-based vehicle, went to scout some ore and when I came back it was gone. Normally I'd just look in the grids menu for missing things (and I'm suspecting maybe it was cleaned up automatically).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Less Fat Luke posted:

a) Holy poo poo that's awesome.
b) Did they remove the cheat menu? I was building a new ground-based vehicle, went to scout some ore and when I came back it was gone. Normally I'd just look in the grids menu for missing things (and I'm suspecting maybe it was cleaned up automatically).

Alt-F10 is where the Cleanup and general Space Master controls are now.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Duh, thanks!

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Man, are there any good dedicated servers running currently? I haven't been able to find any goon ones.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

quote:

Summary
Hello, Engineers! Today's update is focused on addressing some of the issues and crashes occurring with last week's major update.

Now that the release of our Major Physics Overhaul is in the hands of the community, we’ve decided that it’s time to kick off a new contest with physics and engineering as the focus. It’s been great seeing what people have been able to achieve since this update released so now is your chance to really show everyone what you are capable of!
To go with the launch of this new contest, we have added a screenshot resolution modifer setting in the in-game options to allow users to take 4K and higher screenshots on lower end systems.

For those of you who couldn't watch the Major Physics Overhaul developer livestream, here's the recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4RZsdDoKAo

Physics & Engineering Contest
Check the details at Marek's blog post: http://blog.marekrosa.org/2017/11/space-engineers-physics-engineering.html
Because we are already in the process of switching to a new skybox, you can use it as well before it is officially released: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1208808693

Features:

Screenshot resolution multiplier setting

Fixes:

Fixed various crashes
Changed drill efficiency against armor
Fixed LG unlocking after reload on SP
Fixed highlights going through characters

If you have any questions or requests, please do not hesitate to contact us, we will do our best to solve your problems. We would be also very happy if you can submit your feedback at our Space Engineers Steam store page and encourage us to do better. We welcome both positive or negative comments, it helps us to create better game for you!

Also I want to try something different, with a Challenge of my own for anyone looking for something to do in SE;

Engineering Mission: One Small Step

Objective:
Build a multi-stage rocket that launches from a static Earth-based site in Creative Mode. Once completed, switch to Survival Mode and attempt to travel to Moon, construct or deploy a small monument of your glorious voyage upon the lunar surface, and return to Earth safely on limited fuel. Survivable landing optional.

Requirements:
Your rocket must use several separate stages.

Your rocket must contain/carry a Lunar Lander Module.

You can only use Hydrogen Thrusters. Use your fuel wisely...

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

So I've come back to this game to give it another try after the physics update. I haven't played for a year or so I think, but did they change the power values of atmospheric thrusters or something? I'm running with a number of mods including a speed limit mod, but none of them should have affected vanilla items. I printed up a copy of an old utility miner blueprint I built with 4 small thrusters in each direction except sideways which had two and even with half the thursters turned off it is still dangerously fast to try and mine with. Just a tap of the thrusters forwards feels like it will break the drills.

In good news though they seem to have fixed the awful freezing/stuttering I used to suffer when traveling in space. Used to be that leaving the planet took half an hour with most of that spent frozen as it loaded in asteroids I assume, it's what killed my desire to keep playing that last planet -> space survival run.

EDIT: Odd, I loaded up that game again and my miner has much more reasonable thrust. Guess it was a bug?

Cluncho McChunk fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 29, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

So Empyrion is pretty good right now, after a few hours anyway. It's a lot more satisfying in a survival sense, and has actual enemies!

I'd say worth it if you were hoping for actual survival elements in SE.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Rhjamiz posted:

So Empyrion is pretty good right now, after a few hours anyway. It's a lot more satisfying in a survival sense, and has actual enemies!

:agreed:

Empyrion is like if SE tried a little harder to be an actual game instead of just a physics simulator.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I saw saw some gameplay videos a while back. Decidedagaint getting it. Though I do agree that it looks like it's focusing a lot more on gameplay rather that simulation and realism like SE is doing.

I really wish keen would focus more on ai, npcs and better auto-pilot and drones. I find it really ironic that they have the "good-ai" side company, but then there's SE... :lol:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Rhjamiz posted:

Empyrion doesn't have the Rube Goldberg mechanics I like from Space Engineers. If all you want is to build space ships to fight with some survival mechanics it's OK but you don't get to engineer systems and don't have to deal with things like connections of resources, power, etc... which is a big part of the fun in SE for me.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

RandomBlue posted:

Empyrion doesn't have the Rube Goldberg mechanics I like from Space Engineers. If all you want is to build space ships to fight with some survival mechanics it's OK but you don't get to engineer systems and don't have to deal with things like connections of resources, power, etc... which is a big part of the fun in SE for me.

Yeah that is fair, it's one of the things I miss about SE. If Keen would just fuckin' code some decent AI and get some NPCs worth shooting at it'd be a whole lot better.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The exploration enhancement mod and planetary installations mod can help a lot with that, it adds more stuff to find in space and stuff to find on planets too.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

The exploration enhancement mod and planetary installations mod can help a lot with that, it adds more stuff to find in space and stuff to find on planets too.

Are planets still as janky as they were? Also do I still have to manually place planets if I want more than three?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I keep hitting the weirdest bug - I'll be constructing a ship in space that isn't attached to any existing grid. Then I fly away and mine for a bit, come back and.... the new ship is loving gone. It's happened a couple of times and I've used the cheat menu to search for the grid and it's literally nowhere. The only thing I can think of is that maybe during mining the amount of objects to clean is being hit and the game is cleaning my ship but that seems stupid. Anyone else get this?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rhjamiz posted:

Are planets still as janky as they were? Also do I still have to manually place planets if I want more than three?

I don't find them particularly janky, though yes you'll need to plop some in, it's really easy with space master though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

quote:

Summary
Hello, Engineers! In today's update we are bringing you another bunch of improvements and fixes. We have added input method for Chinese text, fixed gravity HUD and laser antenna issues and more!

If you have any questions or requests, please do not hesitate to contact us, we will do our best to solve your problems. The ideal way is to leave a bugreport in the bug section on our forums: https://forums.keenswh.com/forums/bug-reports.326950/
We would be also very happy if you can submit your feedback at our Space Engineers Steam store page and encourage us to do better. We welcome both positive or negative comments, it helps us to create better game for you:

Improvements:

added input method for Chinese text

Fixes:

fixed crash caused by steam sending duplicate data
fixed ship stuttering while player remained unaffected on DS
fixed block preview offset
fixed laser antenna not disconnecting properly
fixed issue with middle part not being attached to the rest of the laser antenna
fixed artificial gravity not taking into account natural gravity
fixed gravity HUD displaying according to camera not astronaut
removed safety lock from G screen action bar
fixed rainbow boots thumbnail being incorrect
fixed racing stripe gloves at value -100 being always red
fixed emissivity for mag boots on different skins not working properly

Less Fat Luke posted:

I keep hitting the weirdest bug - I'll be constructing a ship in space that isn't attached to any existing grid. Then I fly away and mine for a bit, come back and.... the new ship is loving gone. It's happened a couple of times and I've used the cheat menu to search for the grid and it's literally nowhere. The only thing I can think of is that maybe during mining the amount of objects to clean is being hit and the game is cleaning my ship but that seems stupid. Anyone else get this?

Are you playing online or local? Also you can check the cleanup settings by pressing Alt-F10. Otherwise... I got nothing. Did your ship have power? That's generally a pretty good binary junk/ship toggle for the game to track.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Are you playing online or local? Also you can check the cleanup settings by pressing Alt-F10. Otherwise... I got nothing. Did your ship have power? That's generally a pretty good binary junk/ship toggle for the game to track.
Totally local, and yeah - it had a cockpit, thrusters and power via a couple batteries this time. So loving weird. These are the trash setting:

It was definitely under 20 blocks and more than a kilometer away but the other settings make me think it should have been excluded. Unless batteries don't count as powered.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Less Fat Luke posted:

Totally local, and yeah - it had a cockpit, thrusters and power via a couple batteries this time. So loving weird. These are the trash setting:

It was definitely under 20 blocks and more than a kilometer away but the other settings make me think it should have been excluded. Unless batteries don't count as powered.

Was there a charge in the batteries? Otherwise it wasn't actually powered up.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Was there a charge in the batteries? Otherwise it wasn't actually powered up.
Yeah definitely some charge, the new build was just idling in space with no power usage. Maybe I'll file a bug report.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Kickass hover engine mod just released a couple days ago: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1225107070

It's an actual, for reals hover engine too. Not just another thruster or slide-wheels mod. loving right and proper HOVER ENGINE that repulses away from the ground like a real grav-car or whatever!

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.

I just got this game for 10 bux. I'm excited to play.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Kickass hover engine mod just released a couple days ago: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1225107070

It's an actual, for reals hover engine too. Not just another thruster or slide-wheels mod. loving right and proper HOVER ENGINE that repulses away from the ground like a real grav-car or whatever!

That looks like a disaster waiting to happen so I'm pumped as hell :v:

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Do NOT combine hover engines and plane wings without valid thrusters in every direction that can counter the whacky forces.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Hover engines are great, they are really effective even on rougher terrain. They are affected by grid mass so you gotta have the Center of Mass in about the actual center or your hover car won't hover right and they can get a bit odd when encountering walls or players. Also you can embed them in the vehicle's body without issue.

My main issue though is that I want to lower pitch while keeping yaw and gyros can't do that, too much pitch will lead you to taking off or face planting into the ground.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
For Christmas we get... Bugfixes! :confoot:

quote:

Summary
Hello, Engineers! Today's update is another minor one bringing you more improvements before next major update. The battery exploit was removed, so welding your batteries back up no longer resets its powerstate without trashing the powercells. You are welcome. :)

And if the wait for another major update seems long to you, why not join our Physics & Engineering Contest meanwhile? Check the details at Marek's blog post: http://blog.marekrosa.org/2017/11/space-engineers-physics-engineering.html

Fixes

fixed mods download failing on dedicated servers
fixed issue with blocks sinking into the ground and exploding
fixed exploit when welding batteries back up reseted the powerstate without trashing powercells
fixed a bug when removing a block from a station caused it to convert to ship
fixed newsletter dialog problems with Chinese input
fixed candidate list when using Chinese input

If that second one is the bug I think it is, hopefully stuff will actually crash into the ground now instead of falling through it.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

No I'm pretty sure it was the bug where things just slowly sink into the ground and suddenly explode. Saw a funny video it recently.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Decide to build a more compact ground buggy for general adventuring/travel.

So far it's got an ejectable heavy-armor combat frame, and a pseudo-stealth frame.

The reflection trick actually looks pretty neat at ground level.

Or you can simply mount a Monobike on the back. It only has enough vertical thrust to maintain altitude, so you gotta accelerate for dear life and bank heavily into turns. It's about as unsafe as you think.

For recon and exploration. Certainly not joyriding through valleys to see if you can avoid smashing into walls at high speeds. That would be highly sickass fun irresponsible.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I see you're not using the new hover engines on that portable speeder? What's wrong with you?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ass_Burgerer posted:

I see you're not using the new hover engines on that portable speeder? What's wrong with you?

I forgot all about them. They actually make the Monobike into a safe vehicle that handles decently without the threat of smashing into the ground if you dive too sharply.

Which is frankly wholly unacceptable for it :colbert:.

That said;

The whole point of a modular vehicle is you have mounting points to try poo poo with.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Two things;

One, they finally fixed a bug that's existed for (I think) since the DX11 build was first released.

quote:

Summary
Hello, Engineers! As usual we bring you a weekly dose of game improvements while the majority of our team continue working on the next major update.

Join our Physics & Engineering Contest!

Also, if you want to participate in the Space Engineers Physics & Engineering Contest - there is still time. For more details continue to: http://blog.marekrosa.org/2017/11/space-engineers-physics-engineering.html

Fixes

fixed inconsistency in generation of oxygen and hydrogen
fixed issue when player needed materials even with creative tools enabled
fixed issue with projection being welded when Projector is turned off
fixed late targeting of enemy drones by turrets
fixed losing focus on text fields when moving cursor away during typing
fixed alt+tab resetting fields / selections to default values
fixed highlight disappearing when reaching last button in some screens

Thanks!
Keen Software House team

Two; I am under the distinct impression that all your ships and settlements are presumably peaceful places, happily sharing with your fellow players as you build and grow through mutual cooperation. This I cannot abide, so I'm giving you all STORM's - Surface-To-ORbit Missiles.

Nothing quite says "this is mine, go away" quite like twenty-four loosely-scattered warheads, decoy protection from defensive turrets, and a kinetic impact rod.

Or "What the gently caress did that?" like a stealth version.

The camoflage trick works surprisingly well on these things, and they are quite hard to spot a ways off.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Are the wheel physics just completely unusable or is it me? I've come back from before they added planets and for the life of me I can't get anything with wheels to stop sliding/flipping/careening off in random directions.

I've tried guides that talk about wheel settings but it just seems totally not worth it when you can just build a simple land speeder that behaves in a way that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It's not just you. The wheel physics are very very finnicky and tend to fail spectacularly if things aren't just right. At least they were the last time I bothered loving with wheels, anyway.

• Locked thread