Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

JaySB posted:

I'm like 99% sure Pedro Sauer's gym is in Herndon. So, yeah go there.

Edit: Yeah it is
http://www.virginiabjj.com

this is GREAT, he seems to be a bona fied master. I hope it isn't too expensive or crowded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Can anyone recommend a Judo or grappling school somewhere in the Northern Virginia area? Preferably close to Herndon/Reston

If you want to do judo train at SportJudo http://sportjudo.org/

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

JaySB posted:

I'm like 99% sure Pedro Sauer's gym is in Herndon. So, yeah go there.

Edit: Yeah it is
http://www.virginiabjj.com

Seconding Pedro Sauer. His association is uh... a thing.... but he himself is good.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 30, 2018

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Neon Belly posted:

*Yamasaki has some weirdness

Do tell, my current instructor got his black belt from Fernando a long while back but isn't apart of an affiliate program AFAIK.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I signed up for a free class this week at the Pedro Sauer gym because its 10 minutes away from me and everything else you guys recommended is 30+ minutes and with rush hour traffic maybe even worse.

Any tips for my first class? the guy on the phone said it would be mostly free practice so I guess some experienced dude is going to use my body as a training dummy. I wrestled in high school but that was over 15 years ago

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I signed up for a free class this week at the Pedro Sauer gym because its 10 minutes away from me and everything else you guys recommended is 30+ minutes and with rush hour traffic maybe even worse.

Any tips for my first class? the guy on the phone said it would be mostly free practice so I guess some experienced dude is going to use my body as a training dummy. I wrestled in high school but that was over 15 years ago

Bring a mouthguard

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Shower before and after class.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
File your nails and teeth into sharp points

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Any tips for my first class?

Bring: A clean rashguard/shirt you don't mind getting damp to change in to. A water bottle filled with water. Mouth guard and Cup.

Before class: Shower with soap that doesn't smell too strong, Drink water and eat something light that settles easy in your stomach, trim your nails. Remove piercings.

During Class: Listen to your instructor and do only the drill explained to you and do it until your instructor tells you other wise.

If they allow you to roll: 1) Make sure they explain the rules and etiquette to you first 2) tell your training partner your a dumb noob and don't know anything 3) If it feels weird/hurty/panicky tap. Don't feel bad for tapping out, you're new and people would rather you tap early then tap too late.

After class: Try to stick around and talk to some dudes and see if they're people you don't mind training with.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 29, 2018

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Bring a pair of shower shoes (flip flops) to wear when you’re not on the mats.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 30, 2018

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Neon Belly posted:

. Not a good look.

Agreed.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

Bring: A clean rashguard/shirt you don't mind getting damp to change in to. A water bottle filled with water. Mouth guard and Cup.

Before class: Shower with soap that doesn't smell too strong, Drink water and eat something light that settles easy in your stomach, trim your nails. Remove piercings.

During Class: Listen to your instructor and do only the drill explained to you and do it until your instructor tells you other wise.

If they allow you to roll: 1) Make sure they explain the rules and etiquette to you first 2) tell your training partner your a dumb noob and don't know anything 3) If it feels weird/hurty/panicky tap. Don't feel bad for tapping out, you're new and people would rather you tap early then tap too late.

After class: Try to stick around and talk to some dudes and see if they're people you don't mind training with.

This + arrive early and ask any questions about general etiquette.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Well here's a way to go up a couple belt colours. Don't forget your sweaty gear in your bag people, it's too gross.

yeah that's mold :barf:

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
Mold Belt is the secret rank of the ultimate goon self defense technique, which involves being too gross to approach or attack

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Pooper Trooper posted:

Well here's a way to go up a couple belt colours. Don't forget your sweaty gear in your bag people, it's too gross.

Look the gracie magic thing is a posting gimmick. No one actually doesn't wash their belt. :barf:

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

mewse
May 2, 2006

Squirrel Burger posted:

Mold Belt is the secret rank of the ultimate goon self defense technique, which involves being too gross to approach or attack

Your gym doesn't even award my belt rank :smug:

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
Found out my sensei, who has been kind of an rear end in a top hat lately, was dating a student. And they broke up, which is why he’s being an rear end in a top hat, including intimidating students during open mat and injuring others during sparring.

Anyway, looks like I’m finding a new gym

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Squirrel Burger posted:

Found out my sensei, who has been kind of an rear end in a top hat lately, was dating a student. And they broke up, which is why he’s being an rear end in a top hat, including intimidating students during open mat and injuring others during sparring.

:chloe:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
BOW TO YOUR SENSEI

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Squirrel Burger posted:

Who do you call him sensei and not instructor or something?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Squirrel Burger posted:

these people are the worst

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Does anybody here watch team fights? https://teamsfight.com/

Is it interesting enough to actually watch?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Willie, I've found the Batman to your Robin.
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...-in-london.html

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I could take Benedict 1 v 1, therefore he would be my Robin.

Glad that other people are taking up the task of tackling Britain Moped/Bike crime problem, I feel I am a trend setter here and it does not surprise me in the slightest that A listers are following my lead.

Just looking into how viable a McMMA Moped attack celebrity defence training class business would be. If you invent the martial art you automatically get the top belt I think.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

:allears:

As an American I drive a four door sedan and know nothing of mopeds, what would you put in your Moped Martial Art willie?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

willie_dee posted:

I could take Benedict 1 v 1, therefore he would be my Robin.

Glad that other people are taking up the task of tackling Britain Moped/Bike crime problem, I feel I am a trend setter here and it does not surprise me in the slightest that A listers are following my lead.

Just looking into how viable a McMMA Moped attack celebrity defence training class business would be. If you invent the martial art you automatically get the top belt I think.

Fine, maybe you're the Kato to his Green Hornet

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

:allears:

As an American I drive a four door sedan and know nothing of mopeds, what would you put in your Moped Martial Art willie?

If this is going to be a viable martial arts gym, it's not going to start with me giving the exclusive lessons away for free.

But I'll say this, because I've said it before, confidence is paramount. If you have to stand and bang with someone with a knife, do so knowing that you'll win because no one can take the power of your right hand. Worst case scenario is you get stabbed to death, and that doesn't matter because you'll be dead, so you literally can't lose.

Confidence.

Also steroids.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

The Martial Arts Thread: Worst case scenario is you get stabbed to death

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44364912

It’s only a loving hammer Mike mate, run the oval office over. My idea of a McMMA Moped attack celebrity defence Training class came too late for some.

In all seriousness, the guy had his kid in the car with him. London is really frightening at the moment. I'm going to go there thief baiting this Saturday, wish me luck. If the police are reading this because someone died I do not intend to hurt anyone who tries to take my phone, merely detain them, if they try and fight me and they die, that's on them, it will have been self defence.

If I get killed, you guys have been a good sport. Wish me luck lads!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

willie_dee posted:

Wish me luck lads!
No.

Stop being weird.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
have you picked out your outfit yet?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Pooper Trooper posted:

Is that a yellow belt??

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Is that a yellow belt??

yep, it was. Why?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Is that a yellow belt??

It looks more like a blue belt with black stripes to me. My bud Yanny had one just like it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yanny should wash their belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Pooper Trooper posted:

yep, it was. Why?

Just curious, weird lighting...