Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I’m gonna look for some mittens and then use these insulated work gloves for stuff like fuelling that requires manual dexterity. Problem is the winter sports store near me closed, and I don’t know where to start looking for something like that because I hate shopping deeply :v:

Something like this? https://www.rei.com/product/834143/marmot-expedition-mittens
The key word for anything useful below 0 F is "expedition"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Oh, gently caress, I’d completely spaced on the outdoors store that’s three blocks away from my place! They’ll probably have exactly what I need.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Also, worth mentioning, "putting on gloves" when your hands are cold, doesn't help. Put them on when you're still warm. :-)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chemical heaters (ie hot hands) in your mittens if it’s that bad

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I have a pair of something similar to these: https://www.rei.com/product/101378/black-diamond-windweight-convertible-mittens

With the mitten closed they're warm enough to keep me comfortable on -30C walkarounds but when you flip the mitten part up you have enough dexterity to easily push the buttons on a door security lock. Unfortunately as soon as they get wet they become totally useless.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

a patagonian cavy posted:

Everyone post your answer to this one.

Flew into freezing rain in a 172.

Did the "how fast can you go" game in the T-45 on my first solo, got up around 0.9 mach and it got REALLY pitchy.

The Harrier hasn't really terrified me like that...yet.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Was that from mach tuck?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

hobbesmaster posted:

Was that from mach tuck?

Imagine what happens as you start to get flow separation in front of the elevator line. Where the mach shockwave shows up, you get instant flow separation...

... So suddenly your elevator starts being outside the airflow.... and you need to put more control input to get any response.

God I'm shivering just thinking about it. Chuck Yeager figured out how to survive that "while in flight". *shakes head*

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
It wasn't elevator ineffectivenes (T-45 has a stabilator), it was extreme pitch sensitivity (which the NATOPS does talk about at that speed) that I just wasn't ready for the magnitude of. If I'd been even the slightest bit hamfisted I probably woulda over-G'd it.

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
From the OSHA Thread:

https://twitter.com/AviationSafety/status/1095407977287348224

quote:

Following this, the captain went into the cockpit and started the APU, which generates electricity for aircraft systems and bleed air for heating the cabin. The co-pilot began to brush off the snow that had fallen on the aircraft. A moment later the captain came out to help the co-pilot. At first, he worked with his bare hands. Due to the extremely cold conditions (-22°C), however, he went back inside to fetch a pair of gloves. When he came back out, he closed the door.
A little later the cabin assistant inside the cabin felt strange pressure in her ears and chest.
She went into the cockpit and attempted to get the attention of the pilots working outside by knocking on the window. The pilots noticed the knocking and the captain went to open the door. According to the co-pilot’s observations it was unusually difficult for the captain to get the door open. Then, the captain pulled harder on the door handle at which time the door blew open with excessive force, hitting the captain who was standing underneath the door and knocking him to the ground. The pressure wave also knocked the co-pilot down, who had been standing approximately one metre from the left side of the door.

The captain died as a result of the serious injuries he sustained at the site of the occurrence. The co-pilot had not sustained any physical injuries. The cabin assistant had bruises on her right arm, continued to feel chest pain and was diagnosed with a mild concussion.
The cabin sustained substantial damage. The cockpit’s aft left bulkhead and the cabin’s forward left bulkhead were nearly torn off.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
:stare:

That's quite a spatter of blood back there

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I would have thought a weight on wheels sensor could be used to prevent the airplane from ever being pressurized on the ground, didn't a bunch of people die on an airliner that landed with a fire onboard but remained pressurized which made the doors unopenable?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I thought there was supposed to be a light or something in the window of the exit door that indicated the cabin was pressurized?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

sanchez posted:

I would have thought a weight on wheels sensor could be used to prevent the airplane from ever being pressurized on the ground, didn't a bunch of people die on an airliner that landed with a fire onboard but remained pressurized which made the doors unopenable?

Generally yes but things can malfunction. Whether it's the normal outflow valve or a separate one just for ground depressurization, they can stick with or without indication depending on the complexity of the plane. On ours, they tell us that if outside air is plugged in, the plane can pressirize even if everything is working right.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

I'm not sure about the g150 but every door into the pressurized part of an airliner that I've ever seen requires 2 distinct physical actions to open. The first one is either supposed to be impossible with the airplane pressurized or will allow air to escape without the door blowing open like this.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Our plane has nothing like that. Our air conditioning pressurizes and our outflow valves don’t really work without main engine bleed so we have to keep either the door or pilot side window open on the ground.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The DFW TRACON building caught fire. If you've seen a ground stop, that's why.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Thanks for the SATAM

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

sanchez posted:

WoW can get broken in hilarious ways. In the V-22 it will often leave the pitot heaters on, making some nice lava-temp fire pokers sticking off of the front of the plane.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I present the most vicariously embarrassing words one can hear on the radio:

"So I'm guessing there's not an instructor on board... [after getting chewed out for violating Class C for the past 20 minutes and misreporting their position]"

Meek voice, separate from the one that had been apologizing: "Uh, I'm an instructor and on board [ident]"

That's a paddlin'....

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bob A Feet posted:

WoW can get broken in hilarious ways. In the V-22 it will often leave the pitot heaters on, making some nice lava-temp fire pokers sticking off of the front of the plane.

Imagining the switch shorting in flight and messing with the cabin would scare me constantly.

I used to help train and fly the LR60 and there was an incident we trained from real life where the WoW switch was shredded on landing by a blown tire. Mechanical details are fuzzy because it’s been years but the TR refused to deploy when the lever was pulled but it still lets you power them up. They powered up with non-reversed thrust with the brakes on until they went off the end.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Speaking of switches, I had a 172 get stuck at 40 degrees of flaps in the circuit today. A 172 does not climb at all well with 40 degrees of flaps, it brought to mind doing the engine-failure-on-takeoff exercise from my multi rating.

As much as everyone hates the M-model and earlier flaps switch, I've never seen one of those go hosed, but this is the second time I've dealt with it in an N-model.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

SeaborneClink posted:

:stare:

That's quite a spatter of blood back there

i'm like 87% sure that's deicing fluid

unless that's :thejoke:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Bob A Feet posted:

Still better than what happens on the EMB 145:

At the point that picture was taken the crew believed their gear was down and locked. It apparently jammed the air/ground switch when the nose gear deployed (check the nose gear doors). This made the airplane think it was on the ground because if the switch says you have WoW your gear must be deployed.

The crew ended up going around and doing a manual extension but not before dragging the flaps on the runway.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 14, 2019

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

RIP Airbus A380, 2005-2019. I've still never even been on a four engine plane, someday.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I had fun reading these. Please don't go ruining it by telling me how plausible the conversation is.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/LFC6pjc

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Who has two thumbs and forgot to update his standing bid to include the new base which happened to be the most junior base and thus the guy immediately behind him got the very last captain upgrade slot?

This guy.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Animal posted:

Who has two thumbs and forgot to update his standing bid to include the new base which happened to be the most junior base and thus the guy immediately behind him got the very last captain upgrade slot?

This guy.

:negative:

On the plus side you get to spend more time with a comfy FO schedule and less time as the junior CA on reserve.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

This guy.

Ooppphhhh :negative:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Pryor on Fire posted:

RIP Airbus A380, 2005-2019. I've still never even been on a four engine plane, someday.

I've been on one 747 and 3 RJ-85s. That's it.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I used to have to ride an a380 from Dubai to Kuwait City, I won't miss that airplane. Like an hour and 45min flight crammed full of 500 locals

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Real talk I ended up making pretty good connections with a large purple cargo carrier at NGPA and I'm in the pool for LCA training, which is something they greatly like.
The cargo life sounds grand, but I dunno about all those drat night hub turn stuff... if I could 777 immediately though it'd be amazing...
I guess I'm just not sure if I'm actually a freight dawg or not.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

The Slaughter posted:

Real talk I ended up making pretty good connections with a large purple cargo carrier at NGPA and I'm in the pool for LCA training, which is something they greatly like.
The cargo life sounds grand, but I dunno about all those drat night hub turn stuff... if I could 777 immediately though it'd be amazing...
I guess I'm just not sure if I'm actually a freight dawg or not.

I remember you when you were poor.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

If that specific company shows interest you don’t just say “uhh let me think about it, maybe if I get to fly a certain shiny jet.”

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

If that specific company shows interest you don’t just say “uhh let me think about it, maybe if I get to fly a certain shiny jet.”

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is large purple the one with the arrow?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Rolo posted:

Is large purple the one with the arrow?

Crap now I can't unsee it.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Rolo posted:

Our plane has nothing like that. Our air conditioning pressurizes and our outflow valves don’t really work without main engine bleed so we have to keep either the door or pilot side window open on the ground.

I've been on a couple CRJs where the cabin pressurized on the ground thanks to closing the main cabin door while ground air was connected. It hurts.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Anyone know of a good visualization of the relationship of indicated and true altitude as you fly through varying air masses? For some reason I’m having trouble seeing it in my head. I think I’ve almost got it but would like to see it from someone else...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

Anyone know of a good visualization of the relationship of indicated and true altitude as you fly through varying air masses? For some reason I’m having trouble seeing it in my head. I think I’ve almost got it but would like to see it from someone else...

Correction for temperature:

You have to remember that the altimeter is basically just a calibrated barometer. What it does is measures air pressure, so think of it in terms of showing you what pressure level you're at. Under standard atmospheric conditions, air pressure changes 1"Hg per thousand feet. Think of a column of air resting on top of the ground somewhere. Each 1000' you go up, your pressure goes down by 1"Hg.

When it gets cold, this column of air, like certain other things :dong: that get cold, experiences shrinkage. Now, instead of there being 1000 feet between pressure changes of 1"Hg, you have perhaps 900' or 800'. So, how does this affect your altimeter? Remember that when it says "1000 feet" what it's really saying is that the current outside air pressure is 1"Hg lower than whatever you've set the altimeter to. Since that column of air has shrunk, you're not actually 1000 feet above the ground, so your altimeter is over-reading.

The opposite happens with air when it's warmer than standard but I don't have a funny penis joke for that one so I'm not going to bother explaining it in detail.

The one gotcha involved in calculating how much to correct for non-standard temperature is that you have to remember that column of air is resting in on the ground -- it's not going into the ground -- so only the absolute altitude, which is the distance between you and the ground, is actually affected by the cold temperature.

Flying between areas of different pressure:

Again, think of the altimeter as nothing more than a calibrated barometer. If you're at sea level, and the altimeter is properly set (we'll use the standard setting of 29.92 to start), it will show 0. If you were to climb to 1000' under standard atmospheric conditions, it would detect a pressure that's 1"Hg lower, and say "hey, you're at 1000 feet." However, let's say you leave your plane parked overnight and a huge low-pressure system rolls in, to the point that the pressure drops by 1"Hg. When you get in the next morning without correcting the altimeter, the altimeter is going to detect that the pressure is 1"Hg lower than what it's set to and say "hey, you're at 1000 feet" even though you're still on the ground -- obviously an over-reading. The 28.92" pressure level is now located at the ground instead of at 1000' above the ground.

This is not likely to be an issue while you're still on the ground, but it becomes very dangerous if you fly into an area of lower pressure from an area of higher pressure, because if you don't reset the altimeter, you're just following the pressure level rather than maintaining actual altitude. This becomes a problem when that pressure level intersects with an obstacle and/or the ground.

It works the opposite way when flying into an area of higher pressure.

Why have I focused on the situations when the altimeter over-reads rather than under-reads? Well, those are the most dangerous, so it's more important to remember those ones. The rhymes we always teach are "from high to low [pressure], look out below" and "from hot to cold, don't be bold."