Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Do I really need 5 healers/Holy users to get that Curada?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Fat Samurai posted:

A solid white magic BSB can coast you through. Power creep really shows in the nightmare battles. They were introduced back when BSBs were a new thing to articulate just how old they are.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Back when that was first released, single-hit abilities were the norm and levels mostly capped at 80. I remember a contemporary guide that mathed out how much MND you needed for 9999 on one attack with Diaga or Curaja. In fact all the targets in that encounter have no more than ~300K HP in total. You will probably be fine with Holy R3 and a WHT offensive BSB. In fact Cid Raines BSB, despite being BLK, would probably still work for 9999 x4 per hit because the power creep is that substantial.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 12, 2018

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
One other thing to know about the Curada fight is that Guardian doesn't counter Summon attacks, which the various White Mage-Summoners can take advantage of. I used Alphinaud BSB as my RW since the commands are Summon-typed.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Ignore the actual mechanics, use summons. It's not even vulnerable to holy.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks, I’ll have a go with whatever I can scrounge.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Daily draw good
Give me Cecil BSSB, uhh, whichever is the draw attacks/magic one.

Daily Draw is good. Everyone do Daily Draw.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks, I’ll have a go with whatever I can scrounge.

PWD has (or had) a Rem up who could basically oneshot the first two stages, and then just damage race the third with the BSB commands and summons.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

I've done most of the discounted pull realm banners I feel actual shortcomings in by now, but the others are not terrible ideas when I lose all semblance of self-control I feel flush with mythril and want a shot at something useful. Pulled on VIII today and got Squall USB2, Rinoa earth BUSB, and Seifer's lovely ATK-on-damage-taken LMR. Squall's was a dupe but I have very little physical ice boost stuff so I didn't mind it at all, and Rinoa's is icing on the cake for KB when I get there. Too bad she's one of my least favorite FF characters, I keep getting stuff for her.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hey so coming back to this after burning out around the first Tactics Advance event.

Anything important I missed out on? Anything I should pull on right now? Are all of the Acolyte Archive Selections just going to be uniques?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Hey so coming back to this after burning out around the first Tactics Advance event.

Anything important I missed out on? Anything I should pull on right now? Are all of the Acolyte Archive Selections just going to be uniques?

Acolyte Archives are supers and bursts. There's some useful stuff there (generally on the healing/support side) if you aren't totally loaded up on ultras.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Start pulling on the free daily draws. Their 5*/6* rates got upped to the same level as normal pulls, albeit completely uncurated (so you can still get poo poo generics/uniques/shared sb gear).

If you have the mythril to spare, pull once on each of the Realm Select lucky draws - they're 15 mythril for an 11-pull for the first of each realm, and only have BSB/LMR in the 5* pool alongside 6* stuff. That's not a high priority, though, since those banners don't go away, they're like the old Newcomer banners except actually competent.

Acolyte Archive draws get better the deeper you go in, capping out at BSB-tier stuff. It's a good way to patch holes in characters or get +element gear you wouldn't have a good chance for otherwise. There's a list somewhere on Reddit on what the good choices are for efficiency, but if you've been missing that one lovely Unique for a character to give them All Their poo poo, then you can always opt for that, too.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 13, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

If you have the mythril to spare, pull once on each of the Realm Select lucky draws - they're 15 mythril for an 11-pull for the first of each realm, and only have BSB/LMR in the 5* pool alongside 6* stuff. That's not a high priority, though, since those banners don't go away, they're like the old Newcomer banners except actually competent.

They are getting refreshed in 5-6 months though. Still not high priority, but there is effectively a time limit on them.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

Don't spend all your mythril here right now; we're getting 3 25 mythril lucky draws very soon, so keep at least 75 around. They should be pretty good for a returning player.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

They are getting refreshed in 5-6 months though. Still not high priority, but there is effectively a time limit on them.

Does that coincide with the Elemental Banners?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Vivi USB from daily draw :getin:

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
SB-less Green Beret from daily draw :frogout:

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

eelmonger posted:

SB-less Green Beret from daily draw :frogout:

They should just give literal Rosetta Stone at that point

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
At least I can grind it up into rainbow dust or whatever later.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I can see why a lot of people quit this game. For the last few months 99% of all fights in this game are either effortless or complete loving bullshit brick walls like 5* magicite and D280+ torments.

It really isn't fun to just log in every day and squash the new event, then try to do harder content only to get steamrolled.

I've been playing non-stop since the first FFT event. I've been a minnow and spent money on the game during fests. I have tons of high end gear, USBs, +element stuff, lots of LDs, and multiple copies of honed abilities.

I try looking at successful teams for hard content on reddit, try emulating something similar, and get plowed under anyway.

And it sucks that I basically feel like I need to wait for 4A to pull on any banner so that I can have nutso power creeped stuff instead of pulling on the occasional useful or fun banner.

I'm not going to quit the game but I totally understand why lots of people did. I would really like to know how anyone is beating any of this stuff, especially the 5* magicite. I can't survive the damage output even with Godwall and 2 instant healing USBs on LD healers.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Yeah this is definitely the Dark Times, at least until 4A hits. I'm scraping what magicites I can, but Torments are mostly wholly beyond me because I just haven't been playing long enough to have a good stable of useful characters. Even after 4A it'll be mostly pulling on AASB banners. No AASB = no pull for the most part, sort of like how chains kind of make or break current banners, but even more overwhelmingly so.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Elephant Ambush posted:

I can see why a lot of people quit this game. For the last few months 99% of all fights in this game are either effortless or complete loving bullshit brick walls like 5* magicite and D280+ torments.

It really isn't fun to just log in every day and squash the new event, then try to do harder content only to get steamrolled.

I've been playing non-stop since the first FFT event. I've been a minnow and spent money on the game during fests. I have tons of high end gear, USBs, +element stuff, lots of LDs, and multiple copies of honed abilities.

I try looking at successful teams for hard content on reddit, try emulating something similar, and get plowed under anyway.

And it sucks that I basically feel like I need to wait for 4A to pull on any banner so that I can have nutso power creeped stuff instead of pulling on the occasional useful or fun banner.

I'm not going to quit the game but I totally understand why lots of people did. I would really like to know how anyone is beating any of this stuff, especially the 5* magicite. I can't survive the damage output even with Godwall and 2 instant healing USBs on LD healers.

I basically have stopped playing because of this. I don't even log in anymore for my daily mithryl. I even spent a fair amount too. I guess I got burned out.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Elephant Ambush posted:

There's a lot of problems, for sure. Recently it's been dire with no real event to sink your teeth into for mythril since, what, the FF2 event? Bomb was a nice distraction and fishing was... Something... But it's felt like ages since diving in to a new event or raid dungeon. And when you do get it, it's usually like you said - either a squash or you get squashed with no middle ground. Nowadays I just log in to level some Magicite, get the dailies done, and that's about it. I should really challenge the 4* and some of the Torments that might be in my reach.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Forgot to post this earlier, but I got my first Disco off the Daily Pull, and of course it was Aemo's Ultra because I can't a get big pull without some asterisk attached to it... :confuoot:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Here's some alternative music for your Phoenix attempts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbCWVlwzAag

BENNU BENNU BENNU BENNU

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I feel like the new torments are actually a step in the right direction as far as the new content goes. Being able to get some rewards even without killing the bosses is a step in the right direction. They encourage you to use characters that you might otherwise never use in ways that you might never have used them. As someone who has been playing this game for about 2 years now, they feel like a breath of fresh air in comparison to any of the magicites or the old torments.

The record dungeons are also a decent way of putting in puzzle fights into the game though that last optional 13 fight was kind of a kick in the nuts. I started getting burnt out around when 4* magicites started coming out and a lot of my friends had dropped it at that point, but I feel like things have been getting better since then. Now if only they would bring back full throttles again. Those were always fun to mess around with.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Yeah, I enjoy the new torment format. They encourage you to work at a fight over time and try again as you continue to pull new relics for a realm and slowly reward you along your path to progress. With it not being an all or nothing 'you lose get hosed' thing you're encouraged to give it a shot and try to improve even if you won't be able to make it all the way or get the best time. They're nice 'challenge' dungeons that you don't have to feel pressured to complete ASAP, they'll be there waiting. Although you're definitely encouraged to get in there, what with the amazing skills you get access to. Sure I can't clear the hardest difficulties yet, but I've still gotten a good amount of the abilities for the progress I have made, and the ruby system lets me choose the reward I'd be able to use best instead of arbitrarily gating a skill behind clearing a certain realm/difficulty.

The difficulty is definitely... challenging on some of them though. Though I'm sure future power creep will make them feel much more manageable, for those who are patient.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
The 240s are free for me. The 280s are challenging and sometimes kinda fun but I have to hone a lot of stuff and spend resources to beat them. Okay that's fair but then I have to spend even more resources to get and hone abilities that don't seem to matter that much in 5* magicites.

I mean, I guess I just need to ask this thread how I can beat Queztalcoatl with the stuff I have or something. Maybe I can't just use the old Godwall + Boostga + element spam and a healer or 2 or whatever but it's aggravating because I feel like I have the stuff to do it I'm just missing something in terms of strats and/or team composition. :sigh:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Couldn't hurt to ask! I know I won't exactly be tearing up the 5* magicites myself, I'm still working on Siren and some of my 4* clears have been semi-jank already. But either way, they'll be there for a long time, no need to crush them right off the bat.

Maybe if you list your potential candidates for the one you want to start with, someone with more experience in them can help you decide what is likely to work. Personally I'd try to avoid Tyro, because gently caress tyro, but that's personal bias. I just feel godwall is kind of a buff crutch that gets you to bring a bad character into a tough fight when you could probably get by with just RW wall and one pro-or shellga. He probably works fine though, if you have LMR so the wall at least goes up fast. But 5* does seem pretty firmly in the territory where if you don't have a chain, you better have a drat good team.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Godwall can potentially save you three ability slots, which is a pretty big deal. Also not using Fabula Guardian means you can use Fabula Healer instead, which is extremely good. And Tyro is at least a decent entrust bot.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I don't think there's anything massively wrong with the 5* magicite and d??? torments. It's good to have long term goals you might not be able to clear right away. But they really dropped the ball with not providing more in-between content.

The jump from 4* magicite to 5* is massive, as is D280 torment to d??? Likewise stuff like 260 event bosses, MP and Crystal Tower are turning trivial for vets. So a lot of the game is either trivial or punishingly difficult. Awakenings are clearly an effort to make 5* and d??? normal content again , but they'll also have to do something about lower difficulty stuff being further trivialised.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fister Roboto posted:

Godwall can potentially save you three ability slots, which is a pretty big deal. Also not using Fabula Guardian means you can use Fabula Healer instead, which is extremely good. And Tyro is at least a decent entrust bot.

Plus you can just make Tyro use the Fabula Heal. He can be useful doing that and magicite and throwing an Entrust to let someone SB a turn earlier. And if you don't take Tyro you need some people using White 4 as well as elemental DPS and that's not always easy to find.

Mind, I have to use both Fabula Heal and Relm USB to sub-30 Quetz, so for the tippity top content it's just not enough by itself most of the time. I suppose if you were somehow even more blazing fast you could do it, but I'm going in with Galuf CSB, Bartz USB1/AOSB, Tifa USB2/AOSB, Tyro Godwall and Relm USB. I don't really know how much faster I could be at this point.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

The torments encourage the use of sbs that you don't use a lot. I just cleared FF6 280 sub30 and gogo with his esunaga ssb played a key part curing sleep, plus being able to heal and dps. Finished with terra aosb and sabin's suplex osb, feels good. :)

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Arbitrary Number posted:

The torments encourage the use of sbs that you don't use a lot. I just cleared FF6 280 sub30 and gogo with his esunaga ssb played a key part curing sleep, plus being able to heal and dps. Finished with terra aosb and sabin's suplex osb, feels good. :)

Moving from a heavy elemental focus to a realm focus is definitely making some older stuff way more viable. Also generally being more susceptible to breaks. Certainly much better than having the relevant SB's be just buffs, heals, and key elements for magicite.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Indecisive posted:

Yeah, I enjoy the new torment format. They encourage you to work at a fight over time and try again as you continue to pull new relics for a realm and slowly reward you along your path to progress. With it not being an all or nothing 'you lose get hosed' thing you're encouraged to give it a shot and try to improve even if you won't be able to make it all the way or get the best time.

Personally, the partial rewards aren't a huge motivator, but I can see how they would be to some. For me, these high end fights take so much time and experimentation that if I'm going to invest that degree of effort, I want to be done with the fight. Otherwise, I have to spend a bunch of time learning the AI and timings and tweaking my team to do a 50% run, and then I'll have to redo all that effort in a few months if I get a new relic because, not only will I have forgotten everything from the first time, but my same strategy will probably be upended by the new relic. I could just look at them as completely different fights, but my brain isn't letting me.

That said, I do kind of enjoy that 5* magicite and neo-torments are pesudo-puzzle battles. I remember the nightmare fights also being pretty gatcha locked when they first came out, so it's not a new strategy for DeNA (although those could get power-creeped by other people's gatcha luck, thanks to unrestricted RWs). Regardless, the fixed AI of the new stuff means you always know what's coming and can plan around it, which lets you employ tactics that might be too risky otherwise and use things you totally forgot about (there's a defend button?!?). I do agree that there's a big gulf between the rest of the game and 5* and D??? torments, and I was lamenting the same thing when it was 4* magicites and D???, so 5* has kind of bridged that for me, but they still require a totally different mindset and level of effort than the rest of the game that I'm having more and more difficulty finding time for.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I like the new torments because they do force me to go out and use characters who I may have had relics for but they didn't quite make the grade. I start up a torment fight and think to myself "drat, I need a hastega or a proshellga or something, because I am dying so fast" or such. Stuff like FF12's torment making me level up Reks, or how I look at Gordon and think "Yeah, I can figure out how to slot him in now". Before my process was "Onion Knight and Shelke are supports, Aerith heals, choose two DPS characters to taste." Now I have reasons not to bring those three folks to every single fight. It *does* make me wish I had more doublecast-white LMRs though, because I miss Aerith's record dive on every single fight.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite bit of goofy gacha/mechanics interaction is that IIRC when the first Combat Nightmare came out, Cloud's BSB1 was still endgame tech.

It's, uh, a real problem on that fight.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Alright, since I have some time, I'm asking for advice on building a Quetzalcoatl team. Here are my potential nerds and the stuff I have for them:

Ingus - Chain, LD,
Bartz - LD, USB1, OSB
Meliadoul - USB, BSB
Dorgann - BSB, could LD if necessary
Gladiolus - OSB
Tifa - USB, BSB, LMR
Cinque - SSB, BSB
Tyro - Godwall, LD
Selphie - USB, LD
Aerith - USB1, LD
Iris - USB, BSB, LMR

I also have stuff like OK PUSB but I don't think he's appropriate for this fight.

I have almost every 4* magicite all maxed out except for the damage reduction ones, which I've read are actually good for 5* magicite nubs like me so I can farm those up if necessary. What other magicites would I need in my deck?

I'd also like RM advice. Right now it's chain and Godwall starting out, healer with TG Mode, +earth on someone, and +damage against weakness on someone else.

Oh and I have 2 Dirt Sabers at ,R3 and Stone Press at R2. I'm willing to hone and/or craft more stuff if it means finally beating this rear end in a top hat.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 14, 2018

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Alright, since I have some time, I'm asking for advice on building a Quetzalcoatl team. Here are my potential nerds and the stuff I have for them:

Ingus - Chain, LD,
Bartz - LD, USB1, OSB
Meliadoul - USB, BSB
Dorgann - BSB, could LD if necessary
Gladiolus - OSB
Tifa - USB, BSB, LMR
Cinque - SSB, BSB
Tyro - Godwall, LD
Selphie - USB, LD
Aerith - USB1, LD
Iris - USB, BSB, LMR

I also have stuff like OK PUSB but I don't think he's appropriate for this fight.

I have almost every 4* magicite all maxed out except for the damage reduction ones, which I've read are actually good for 5* magicite nubs like me so I can farm those up if necessary. What other magicites would I need in my deck?

I'd also like RM advice. Right now it's chain and Godwall starting out, healer with TG Mode, +earth on someone, and +damage against weakness on someone else.

Oh and I have 2 Dirt Sabers at ,R3 and Stone Press at R2. I'm willing to hone and/or craft more stuff if it means finally beating this rear end in a top hat.

First order of business: Get a Tremoring Quadstrike and/or Blastspell Strike for Bartz. If you have the spare rubies, get Ironfist Earth and hone it up as high as you can. Ingus actually mildly prefers Gaia Cross/Dirtbringer over 2x Dirt Saber, but in a pinch you can use what you have. Your main attacking core there will almost certainly be Bartz/Tifa/Ingus.

You're not going to reliably do single-healer unless you have Elarra USB. Do you have Deuce BSB? If so you can get your buffing and main-healing on one character, otherwise things get a bit hectic since you either have to rely on Fabula Raider for buffing (and give Tyro Charge+Stone Press for breaking enrage modes, which he will probably not be that hot at, to say nothing of the fact you'd have to run single healer) or Fabula Guardian (and give OK w/pUSB one of the proshellgas + Curada, which will be potentially too slow to rely on. It would also mean you'd have to pop enrages with Bartz, which would lower your DPS significantly.)

If those are really your only healer options, I'd probably gun for Selphie; her USB is a little weaker than everyone else's (since it's NAT-based, so it doesn't get all the passive buffs of her dive) but the Last Stand will be completely and utterly invaluable here. Dealing with the incoming damage is going to be the hard part; if you're using Godwall you don't have quite as hard of a time limit as if you had to use Fabula Guardian. That said, if you're going over a minute, you're very likely going to rub your face over its final gently caress You Mode anyway, so it's more about being able to juggle survivability with damage output.

That's all I can personally offer; someone who's more used to these fights might have an alternate way to use Meliadoul to keep things survivable. I will say, for sure, though - Ingus is non-negotiable unless you get Galuf's chain or a really good imperil earth (read: not Tifa BSB). Chains are super-important for DPS purposes in these, to the point that you might even want to try to force a physical chain into a magical team for the other 5*.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Try:
Ingus earthsaber/protectga,
Cinque grant charge/stone press,
Selphie curada/shellga,
Ok ultra cure/entrust,
Bartz blastspell strike/tremorring quadstrike (might potentially try running Tifa with earth ironfist here instead only if that is usb2 and not 1).

For magicites I run earth guardian (primary), catastrophe, evrae, evrae, midgarsomr - you'll def want to inerhit a second dampen lightning to earth guardian, and ideally another empower earth somewhere else for 3x total.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 14, 2018