Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Just watched The Gleaners and I. How the gently caress is Varda so good but so unknown? I swear every movie of hers that I've seen hits, and hits so hard. And yet you hear so much more about Truffaut and Godard. And I like their films, but hot drat does she deliver here. You can really see the threads of the person who made Vagabond making this. You owe it to yourself if you haven't seen her work to watch it. She really is an amazing director.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
The Candy Snatchers (1973) - a fairly gritty and nihilistic kidnapping movie in which all the characters are pieces of poo poo except the titular Candy. Spoiler: Everyone including Candy either gets killed by the end or is implied to die off-screen. Also there's a few sexual assaults. Not a fun watch, but there were some moments that were so bizarre I had to bust out laughing, mostly involving a mute little boy who somehow gets wrapped up in the plot.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Just watched The Witch followed by The Lighthouse

The Witch I quite liked. The sets and world were very well done and it kept me interested but still wondering about stuff at the end. It was driving me nuts that the father’s voice was so familiar but I couldn’t place it. Chris “Finchy” Finch!

The Lighthouse was strange and lovely to look at but went on far too long. The performances were riveting though

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Carillon posted:

Just watched The Gleaners and I. How the gently caress is Varda so good but so unknown? I swear every movie of hers that I've seen hits, and hits so hard. And yet you hear so much more about Truffaut and Godard. And I like their films, but hot drat does she deliver here. You can really see the threads of the person who made Vagabond making this. You owe it to yourself if you haven't seen her work to watch it. She really is an amazing director.

She's the best.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

The Velvet Queen. This is how nature documentaries should be. It teeters on the verge of navel gazing, but somehow pulls it off to bring some real emotion and deep contemplation. Amazing visuals and the Warren Ellis / Nick Cave soundtrack just pushes it over the edge into something sublime. One of those films that landed right place right time for me, both emotionally and spiritually.

Plus the line “Prehistory wept, and each tear was a yak.” should be on t shirts and street art. It’s the new “Frodo Lives” imo.

Cracking film, highly recommended.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Gaius Marius posted:

Civil War Alex Garland
The movies is as tepid as I expected storywise. I will give them credit for making firearms feel like firearms rather than pop guns. A24's effects wing really couldn't handle some of the poo poo they were trying to do especially once they get to DC. The plot was so rote that I was hoping they'd pull a Barry S2 at the end just to give me a single interesting bullet point.

That said, it was far and a way better than MEN. I didn't actively hate watching the film and lament my wasted dollars. I also gotta say it again, please give Dunst better roles! The scene with her in the dress was her best in the film and you can tell in it and in most of her other roles that she has the juice but these directors never let her cook.

The last thing is, and this is a concern that I didn't have going in, I absolutely hate the way that this movie looks. The way they use focus and the macro photography look god awful, that scene with them driving through the flaming forest with all the ashes falling around made me physically cringe although the terrible music choice through the whole film didn't help.

Its funny I feel overall the same emotions about it but I liked the focus and the flaming forest scene, as well as the needle drops.

Classic road trip story, moves at a nice clip, concise. Def some dodgy CGI in DC when but overall enjoyable. 3/5

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The Cat Returns: This a cute coming of age story about a girl and a lot of magical cats. It's fine and simple, but definitely on the lower tier of Ghibli films. Some fun cat designs at least.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

In Search of Anna (1978) - young Australian guy gets out of prison and drives around Australia in a vintage car with a young Australian lady and they talk about life and stuff. Not much of a story, but it works as a character piece/time capsule film of Australia in the late 70's.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Amazing Spiderman 2 Marc Webb
The screenwriting and plotting of this movie is rear end despite having some cool parts, Dane DeHaan should've never been put into the role he was in, Stone is even cuter in this film than she is in the first despite the fact she keeps running back to fuckboi spiderman. Most importantly though Gwen quotes Miami Vice (film) during this movie which is insane.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Fall Guy: a little messy in places but it won me over by the end. Gosling's comedy chops are beyond question at this point, the supporting cast is quite good (Hannah Waddingham is a highlight), the writing can try a little hard but it does also work, and placing it all against the backdrop of them shooting a weird sci-fi extravaganza leads to some great bits. And yes plenty of great cool stunts and a good soundtrack. I get the feeling this will gain a following over time.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Cat Hassler posted:

It was driving me nuts that the father’s voice was so familiar but I couldn’t place it. Chris “Finchy” Finch!

Haha yeah, i got this as well..took me a while into the movie to realise it's the great terrible rep from The Office UK. (He's such a good depiction of an awful person at an office) A show I watch about two times a year since it ended.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Fall Guy:

I'm pumped to watch this movie when it comes out on streaming.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
The Stepfather (1987)
6/10

Not enough kills to be a good slasher movie, and its way too short to be a good psychological thriller. The only thing that really hits about this movie is John Locke from Lost playing a serial killer stepfather. He has a very nice smile, one that makes you feel warm inside, at least until you realize what he is hiding behind that smile. It's very potent.

There's bits of good social satire in the movie. The serial killer obsessed with having the perfect family and american dream, and he feels extremely entitled to that. But all in all the movie is too short to get into that stuff. I'd say its perfect for a remake except for the fact that remakes suck 100% of the time now. Maybe there was a time in 2008-2012 a really good remake could have come out.

lukevictorious
Mar 31, 2019

this is the water

Fighting Elegy posted:

Maybe there was a time in 2008-2012 a really good remake could have come out.

Great news! They made one, in 2009!

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
well poo poo, I'll check that out sometime. Reviews seem to be very, very, bad but that means nothing to me when it comes to enjoying something.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Riddle of Fire (2023) - This movie is going to be divisive. Given a sample size of 4 (me, my wife, and a couple we watch a movie every Friday with), 2 loved it (my wife and I), 1 (husband in couple) liked it quite a bit, and 1 (his wife) hated it. And by hated I mean truly detested it. It's a movie about 3 very young kids who steal a video game system only to find out they can't play it cause their mom put a password on the TV. She's very sick and won't give them the password unless they go get her a blueberry pie from a local baker. The rest of the movie is the quest these three kids are on to get this pie. It has a very Escape From Witch Mountain vibe. Very late '70's, early '80's live-action Disney adventure film feel. The kids acting is interesting. It's very naturalistic to the point where one of the kids is almost unintelligible due to a lisp and just being so young, so they just subtitle him the whole movie. The dungeon synth soundtrack is great and really adds to the feel. Anyway, I'm terrible at reviews but watch this movie if you get a chance.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare - 2024 Really enjoyed this movie a lot. I feel like it could've maybe been 30 minutes shorter but I don't think it detracted from the movie at all. The main cast was great. Til Schweiger as Heinrich Luhr was awesome. He was really creepy and has a very intense look. It's very loosely based on a true story so I always dig movies like that. It was fun, it was violent and it was tense! 4/5 would watch again.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Oldstench posted:

Riddle of Fire (2023) - This movie is going to be divisive. Given a sample size of 4 (me, my wife, and a couple we watch a movie every Friday with), 2 loved it (my wife and I), 1 (husband in couple) liked it quite a bit, and 1 (his wife) hated it. And by hated I mean truly detested it. It's a movie about 3 very young kids who steal a video game system only to find out they can't play it cause their mom put a password on the TV. She's very sick and won't give them the password unless they go get her a blueberry pie from a local baker. The rest of the movie is the quest these three kids are on to get this pie. It has a very Escape From Witch Mountain vibe. Very late '70's, early '80's live-action Disney adventure film feel. The kids acting is interesting. It's very naturalistic to the point where one of the kids is almost unintelligible due to a lisp and just being so young, so they just subtitle him the whole movie. The dungeon synth soundtrack is great and really adds to the feel. Anyway, I'm terrible at reviews but watch this movie if you get a chance.

That actually sounds really interesting!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

SalTheBard posted:

The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare - 2024

Yeah, I really enjoyed it too. I pegged Fleming as Ian the first time he was named. Somehow I didn’t peg it as a Guy Ritchie film while watching it, but the moment I saw his name in the end credits, it made sense. Lots of immediate <bang, drops dead> deaths, but sure, ok.

For some reason, I really enjoyed the flirty scene on the boat. All of them felt like they’d be up for some extra fun on that 12 day boat ride. :gay:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Von Pluring posted:

That actually sounds really interesting!
It is! My description really doesn't do it justice at all. There's a whole witchy subplot that just vibes for days. It's really great.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, I really enjoyed it too. I pegged Fleming as Ian the first time he was named. Somehow I didn’t peg it as a Guy Ritchie film while watching it, but the moment I saw his name in the end credits, it made sense. Lots of immediate <bang, drops dead> deaths, but sure, ok.

For some reason, I really enjoyed the flirty scene on the boat. All of them felt like they’d be up for some extra fun on that 12 day boat ride. :gay:

I also didn't realize it was a Guy Ritchie film until the very end! Credits rolled and I was like "Yeah I should've guessed." I thought the cast had really good chemistry and Henry Cavil was great.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Wittgen posted:

The People's Joker answers the question on all our minds. What happens if a YouTube poop was also a 90 minute, stirring queer coming of age movie?

It is really funny.

I absolutely adored this movie and it's probably my second favorite of all time behind Sorry To Bother You. I dragged my partner to see it with me the next night and he enjoyed it but not quite as much. You can hear the budget being stretched to breaking point, it's messy as hell and I can understand why some people would be left completely cold, but it's also just laser targeted to me.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Europa Report (2013) - despite sounding like the title of a Kraftwerk album, this was a pretty good found-footage sci-fi movie about the first crewed mission to one of Jupiter's moons. The beginning was a tad slow, but Dan Fogler perked it up a bit in a small role.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Accountant (2016) - this movie is trying hard to do something but I'm not sure it succeeds. Laudable attempt at humanizing autism but it does exactly the same thing Rain Man does by conflating "able to do complex math problems instantly" with autism which is just ... no. Fun stunt casting though, Jeffrey Tambor in prison is a guffaw

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Data Graham posted:

The Accountant (2016) - this movie is trying hard to do something but I'm not sure it succeeds. Laudable attempt at humanizing autism but it does exactly the same thing Rain Man does by conflating "able to do complex math problems instantly" with autism which is just ... no. Fun stunt casting though, Jeffrey Tambor in prison is a guffaw

Autism as a super power is big cringe but Gavin O’Connor is a solid, slick director. Warrior is likewise full of cliches but fundamentally enjoyable and well executed.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The Insider: This is us peak important men talking about important subjects while women exist just discourage or encourage them. And it is also a great watch with fantastic performances and a stark reminder of how poorly whistleblowers are treated.

Michael Mann kills it with the direction in making a film all about phone calls and board rooms really interesting. Al Pacino makes 60 minutes look cool with all his connections and powerful yelling. Russel Crowe reminds us that he can act subtlety. Christopher Plummer really sells the arrogance of Mike Wallace. And there is some sexy sax in the fantastic score.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Just walked out of I Saw the TV Glow. Holy poo poo. Absolutely jaw dropping. It's one of those movies that you have to sit with, so I would struggle to tell you what it is about right this instant. But it blew me away.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Wittgen posted:

Just walked out of I Saw the TV Glow.

Man, I'm glad I kept reading, I thought you were saying you had to walk out of it because it was bad for some reason. I'm kinda jazzed for this one, glad to hear at least one account of it being good.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Yeah, that's bad wording on my part. Better to say I just got out of it. I thought it was really good. Visually very cool. An interesting sense of tension. Not the high anxiety of an Ari Aster movie, but a profound and ceaseless feeling of something being wrong.

And some of the horror visual designs are incredible.

I just got out of Evil Does Not Exist, and it was also good. Did not blow me away like Drive My Car did, but still good. Two things really impressed me. One, the movie knows how to cut off non-diegetic music in an impactful way. Two, some of the long, long shots with zero camera movement must have been a nightmare to get right. What feels like five or ten uninterrupted minutes where the actors are, as part of the scene, doing an extremely physical and visually obvious task like chopping wood.

As far as confounding ending double features go, I would recommend both movies.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Mirror the Tarkovsky one was such a miss for me. I disliked it so much. Is anyone here a fan that can help explain what I'm missing?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Demolition Man (1993) - wow with modern eyes this thing is just an incredibly dense time capsule of early-90s memes. Just in the first five minutes you've had *scary fingers* THE FUTURE (1996) of the LA of the Rodney King riots, as well as bungee jumping and cryogenics. By the time it's over you've had "freezing things makes them shatter with a punch", a million cool car designs from the EV-1 era, salt and fat and meat being outlawed along with everything else 80s health weirdos were freaking out about, a bugfuck take on video conferencing, and tons more stuff from a very particular time and place, both technologically and otherwise (fonts, architecture, logos). Also I feel like the Fifth Element visual designers must have been watching this movie very very closely in a lot of places. What a time it was.

Stallone's pseudo-beef with Schwarzenegger just oozes through this movie in every frame somehow. He really wanted a Terminator movie apparently. Even wakes up in the same pose as John Connor sorta. (And I'm not overlooking the incredulous "61st amendment" conversation.)

It's nuts how many of the movie's phrases and colloquialisms have become part of our casual vocabulary, not just obvious ones like "mellow greetings" and "what's your boggle" but even things like "be well" which I see plenty in even professional circumstances and never thought about it as having originated from this, but it might have?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
People have said be well for many decades outside of the context of quoting Demolition Man.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Old Dads : dipped out of this one almost halfway as I couldn't stand being preached to by Bill Burr about how Millennials are Bad because Woke. This movie came out last year. Just painful and a waste of the talents of Bobby Canavale.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I Saw I Saw The TV Glow. it's like if Twin Peaks and Are You Afraid of the Dark had a child.

I had the great displeasure of sitting in the same row as an older straight couple, who both scoffed in bafflement anytime a metaphor occurred on screen. When the movie was over I heard the man say "that was one of the dumbest movies I have ever seen." I wanted to say, "Harold, they're transgender!"

I think TV Glow is a good, but flawed, movie. There were parts of the film that really won my heart, but it seemed reticent to take any big risks. I think one big problem is the solipsism of the movie; there basically are no characters outside of Owen and Maddy. And well, Owen is dissociating most of the movie and Maddy is prone to disappearing, so that exacerbates things further. I think this dynamic compares unfavorably to a similar story, Serial Experiments Lain, which has some rich characterization even while exploring very similar territory about screen-mediated identity/dissociation/the blurring of realities.

It's also a movie where verrrrrry little happens, and where the characters have very little agency. This is really a PG-13 Mulholland Drive, but unlike Mulholland Drive, there are no events or meaningful action in the story. The film mostly consists of Owen and Maddy sitting or walking next to each other talking. I think the heavy use of monologues in the film are evidence of the tension between the characters having a lot of internality but no scenes through which they could express their internality on-screen.

I was really expecting more sick-rear end identity-switching, or reality-shifting, or some Twin Peaks red room surrealism. Something to play with the idea of "which side of the TV am I on?" Mister Melancholy is great though.

The overall horror metaphor that the film is built around is very striking, but it's also extremely on-the-nose. I dunno, good movie, a lot of style and charm, but the writing needed more time to cook.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Cephas posted:

I Saw I Saw The TV Glow. it's like if Twin Peaks and Are You Afraid of the Dark had a child.

I had the great displeasure of sitting in the same row as an older straight couple, who both scoffed in bafflement anytime a metaphor occurred on screen. When the movie was over I heard the man say "that was one of the dumbest movies I have ever seen." I wanted to say, "Harold, they're transgender!"

I think TV Glow is a good, but flawed, movie. There were parts of the film that really won my heart, but it seemed reticent to take any big risks. I think one big problem is the solipsism of the movie; there basically are no characters outside of Owen and Maddy. And well, Owen is dissociating most of the movie and Maddy is prone to disappearing, so that exacerbates things further. I think this dynamic compares unfavorably to a similar story, Serial Experiments Lain, which has some rich characterization even while exploring very similar territory about screen-mediated identity/dissociation/the blurring of realities.

It's also a movie where verrrrrry little happens, and where the characters have very little agency. This is really a PG-13 Mulholland Drive, but unlike Mulholland Drive, there are no events or meaningful action in the story. The film mostly consists of Owen and Maddy sitting or walking next to each other talking. I think the heavy use of monologues in the film are evidence of the tension between the characters having a lot of internality but no scenes through which they could express their internality on-screen.

I was really expecting more sick-rear end identity-switching, or reality-shifting, or some Twin Peaks red room surrealism. Something to play with the idea of "which side of the TV am I on?" Mister Melancholy is great though.

The overall horror metaphor that the film is built around is very striking, but it's also extremely on-the-nose. I dunno, good movie, a lot of style and charm, but the writing needed more time to cook.

I think I had a few of the same complaints about We Are All Going To The World's Fair, which had some real meat but it was buried in the rest of the film

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
molly's game sucked but michael cera did a good job playing toby maguire

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
The Iron Claw - a tragic mess, both the story itself and the storytelling

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cherry 2000, early-80s western/science fiction starring Melanie Griffith with Ben Johnson, David Andrews, and Tim Thomerson in prominent roles. A young Laurence Fishburne has a brief role and Brion James also has a bit part. Interesting use of Hoover Dam for some set pieces. It reminded me of Logan's Run.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Jade William Friedkin
There are some films that are good not because they're good in themselves but because they're so poor that they make you appreciate the art of good and great films even more; Jade is one of those films.

Dragging this up because I just watched it last night and agree with everything you said.

Jade (1995): This film is like a pastiche of more interesting erotic thrillers, and continually hints at intrigue and eroticism without delivering on either. On paper Fiorentino should have more to work with but the film itself isn’t really that interested in her. Palminteri too, he seems totally sociopathic after the reveal, honestly feels like he performed most of his scenes without knowing he’d be the killer at the end.

Weirdly stylish at times with little to no substance. Most of the sex scenes are deliberately & uncomfortably lifeless. But the sex scenes that are supposed to be titillating also feel lifeless and stale.

I’m actually a bit mad at how little the movie cares about its characters. The characters’ motivations are confusing because their actions are written to move the plot forward and confuse the audience.

Also lots of goofy faces from David Caruso while driving. The slow “chase” scene through the parade in Chinatown was dumb (why didn’t he get out of his car and run on foot??? The car was going 3 miles per hour!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Kingdom of The Planet of The Apes (2024)
I went into this with zero expectations since it’s a completely new cast and director and was surprised by how solid it was. I’d rank it higher than the first reboot movie, Rise, but not as strong as Dawn or War. It’s probably half an hour too long and should’ve introduced the main villain earlier, but I’m not that mad about it. You can probably blame the length on having to setup characters that are obviously meant to be leads for a new trilogy and all the little plot threads that’ll dominate it, but it’s all fairly well done and never bored me. I really love this dumb series and it’s been largely consistent since its inception.

It’s also just nice to see Peter Macon get a decent-sized role after The Orville, his orangutan character is easily the highlight of the movie.