Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
A bunch of people talking about asian horror and best horror film of the 00's and nobody mentions Thirst? Shameful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I love occult but it's a silly movie

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I found Noroi much too long, psychic powers being taken seriously as a given was a bit of a culture shock, and the ending came off like some kind of weird attempt at a moral about abortion.

Generally I think Japanese horror is better off when it's channeling the 80s and making weird, colorful monster / haunted house movies instead.

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

Profondo Rosso posted:

I always liked how they decided to deliver on the hellscape even though they could have left well enough alone. And probably should have. But they had a vision and they were gonna stick to it, dammit! :allears:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Profondo Rosso posted:

I love it, silliness and all.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
I watched the vampire one that came out not to long ago, the one with all the martial arts and crazy special effects. I was suprised how much i didn't like it. It looked so much fun in the trailer.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I love it, silliness and all.

i know its great. although i burst out laughing at the ending.

just watched ghosts... of the civil dead which although not a horror movie is much more disturbing than the vast majority of horror movies. what's interesting is although its a film based on violence it actually shows very little of it, cutting from before the act to after it most of the time, and focuses instead on creating an incredibly miserable atmosphere. also based on a true story (and although highly fictionalized the true story is pretty much just as bad if you research it, which is really saying a lot considering how hosed up the prison in the film is)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

schwenz posted:

I watched the vampire one that came out not to long ago, the one with all the martial arts and crazy special effects. I was suprised how much i didn't like it. It looked so much fun in the trailer.

Rigor Mortis has cool visuals, but not much else. There are a ton of subplots that don't actually end up going anywhere. The twist ending is also incredibly dumb, and doesn't even really make sense.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Noroi and Occult are both good and I love them, but how is Cult by the same director? I have it ready to watch, but haven't gotten around to looking at anything about it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

mikeycp posted:

Noroi and Occult are both good and I love them, but how is Cult by the same director? I have it ready to watch, but haven't gotten around to looking at anything about it.

i loved Noroi and Occult, but I did not like Cult at all. I couldn't even finish it. Its been awhile since I've watched it, but I think my main issue was that clearly supernatural events were being treated as completely normal.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

mikeycp posted:

its not as good and more intentionally comedic (if i remember correctly its been abit) but it def has some spooky moments in it. some of the acting is pretty bad. cgi is terrible as always and kinda overused. worth a watch though

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Hedenius posted:

A bunch of people talking about asian horror and best horror film of the 00's and nobody mentions Thirst? Shameful!

If you mean the Korean one, Thirst is absolutely amazing.

I loved how it showed both archetypes of the modern take on that monster in one movie, how they came to be and how they would react to each other instead of just picking one and considering it the only way to be.

The juxtaposition of the priest's guilt driving him to be the woe-is-me angsty vampire and the girl feeling liberated and going on her killing spree just works so well. She is empowered, but it just creates more shame and responsiblity for the priest, who can't even deal with his own change. It is a broken relationship that ends beautifully.

Now I want to watch it again.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

mikeycp posted:

i don't think I've seen any of these so I guess that's a thing I'm going to do now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mikeycp posted:

Not great. I love Noroi and Occult and Shirome. The rest I either haven't seen, or like a lot less.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
No love for Spanish-speaking films?

I loved Atrocious, Here Comes The Devil, The House at the End of Time, et. al.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

schwenz posted:

Who in their right mind would think that an American version of Martyrs is even possible?

apparently it's in the can already.

At least they're not setting expectations too high

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Walls, my greatest fear!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
They know that almost nobody has even heard of Martyrs right? The average person walking by that sign might want more to go on than a picture of a dirty wall.

I'm very curious to see this remake actually because it can't possibly just be a shot-for-shot kind of thing can it? If they put a good amount of money into it and didn't tone down the violence at all, I could see it being a complete flop because I don't think the audience is there. Is there a trailer?

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

They know that almost nobody has even heard of Martyrs right? The average person walking by that sign might want more to go on than a picture of a dirty wall.

It looks like a trade show poster meant to sell potential distributors on the film. They're usually sparse and lovely because they're made before the film has actually been shot. The point is really to just get the producers' names on there.

ovaries fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 9, 2015

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I don't think it's necessarily a bad tac, because to the casual moviegoer (who they're targeting, with the two leads being from True Blood and Pretty Little Liars), if you tell them it's a horror classic they'll probably believe it whether it's true or not. Still, I think it sets up an expectation that they'd have an extremely hard time delivering on.

I don't know if they're sticking with the script that's been in development for a while, but that script was pretty different from the original and from what I've heard it's somewhat less bleak (probably some spoilers there if it is indeed the same script).

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

flashy_mcflash posted:

The tagline should just be "Désolé".

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

InfiniteZero posted:

The tagline should just be "Désolé".

Haha, or just a speaker playing a foghorn sound.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

flashy_mcflash posted:

If they want to do an English remake, I wouldn't mind Alexandre Aja doing it. He's not afraid of brutality.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Really curious as to how this will be. I'm not too optimistic though, all things considered. I did really "enjoy" Martyrs but I don't have the kind of affinity for the source material as I did for say Let the Right One In or Oldboy.

On a side note, I managed to get on a guest list for a Fangoria early showing of It Follows tonight, so the wife and I should be seeing it. I'm extremely excited for it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just watched Oculus. It was fun to watch a horror movie where the character is just not impressed with the ghost's tricks. Also, apples!

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
Speaking of Let the Right One In, a friend made me watch it Saturday night and I can't stop thinking about it. It's so melancholy.

vv I wasn't in love with it at first, but it's really a fantastic film. I'm glad that I finally got around to seeing it.

gnomewife fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 10, 2015

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

It Follows was great, but drat the people on the IMDB boards for that one are insufferable. A whole lot of people missing the point. Really looking forward to reading some Goon's thoughts on it.

Let the Right One In is phenomenal.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I was very surprised at how well the remake Let Me In was executed, you might enjoy that as well.

j. alfred moonrock
Nov 15, 2014
Is there a concrete date for an It Follows VOD release? I can't find one anywhere.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I enjoyed Let Me In more than most American remakes, but there are some feelings you just can't capture from originals. The isolation of a Swedish winter really comes through in LTROI. It's good, but it definitely feels like a remake. I do like that LMI tried to bring in the cop character from the book, and made the bullies a bit more threatening. It goes in a few of its own directions, but not enough for my liking.

It's also interesting that both film adaptations decided to eschew arguably the most horrific part of the book, the entire Hakan storyline after he falls from the window.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

God bug is a difficult movie to watch. Very good though, not what I was expecting going in mostly blind

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I watched It Follows last Friday. I apprecaited it for what it was but I'm not sure if it's quite worthy of the amount of hype being thrown its way. It has a beautiful suburban Halloween vibe with a Ring-esque mystery, but I grew frustrated with the pacing of the second half of the film and lost some engagement with the characters.

On the plus side it absolutely nails the tonal dread of an oncoming doom, it has an excellent score and some interesting visuals. However, its focus on ambiguity and aesthetic metaphor meant I ended up not caring about the monster or the kids.

Would be interested to know what others thought about it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

reality_groove posted:

I watched It Follows last Friday. I apprecaited it for what it was but I'm not sure if it's quite worthy of the amount of hype being thrown its way. It has a beautiful suburban Halloween vibe with a Ring-esque mystery, but I grew frustrated with the pacing of the second half of the film and lost some engagement with the characters.

On the plus side it absolutely nails the tonal dread of an oncoming doom, it has an excellent score and some interesting visuals. However, its focus on ambiguity and aesthetic metaphor meant I ended up not caring about the monster or the kids.

Would be interested to know what others thought about it.

This was more or less my take on it. After a while the creeping dread became sort of mundane and certainly not very threatening, and the STI aspect of it never really seemed all that developed beyond just a clever hook to get into the film.

When I saw it in September I didn't feel that it lived up to the hype it'd gotten from Sundance, and now that hype has increased tenfold. I'm sure there's people that'll absolutely love it (there's a whole thread of them) but it fell off a little too hard by the end for me to want to see it again or recommend it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Alhazred posted:

Just watched Oculus. It was fun to watch a horror movie where the character is just not impressed with the ghost's tricks. Also, apples!

I think I've mentioned it before, I love movies where people take really extensive, thought-out measures to prevent supernatural things from happening. That's part of why I still like the original Final Destination, as well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I think I've mentioned it before, I love movies where people take really extensive, thought-out measures to prevent supernatural things from happening. That's part of why I still like the original Final Destination, as well.

Final Destination should have been 20 minutes of setup and 100 minutes of a guy going insane about rolling tin cans in a cabin.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

I think I've mentioned it before, I love movies where people take really extensive, thought-out measures to prevent supernatural things from happening.
She is doing the opposite though. She's basically ghost chumming, believing that the cage she has built herself will hold when the great white appears.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

One of my favorite parts of Housebound was how not impressed the main character was by the supernatural.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Profondo Rosso posted:

God bug is a difficult movie to watch. Very good though, not what I was expecting going in mostly blind

Yeah, Bug hit me like a ton of bricks when I saw it. I was super impressed.

The DVD's commentary was horrific, though, and the worst I've ever heard. I was excited to hear insight into the film, but Friedkin just recited what was happening on the screen. "And now Agnes is opening the freezer. She gets out some ice cubes for her drink because her soda is warm. Now she sits down and drinks it." I don't think he understood what a commentary was supposed to be. :(

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Violator posted:

Yeah, Bug hit me like a ton of bricks when I saw it. I was super impressed.

The DVD's commentary was horrific, though, and the worst I've ever heard. I was excited to hear insight into the film, but Friedkin just recited what was happening on the screen. "And now Agnes is opening the freezer. She gets out some ice cubes for her drink because her soda is warm. Now she sits down and drinks it." I don't think he understood what a commentary was supposed to be. :(

He did a commentary for The Exorcist that isn't as bad as what you're describing, but yea he did a little bit too much pointless narration. I didn't feel like I had wasted my time though because there were at least one or two insights into what he was thinking when he shot certain scenes that make it worthwhile if you're a big fan of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

weekly font posted:

One of my favorite parts of Housebound was how not impressed the main character was by the supernatural.

I was at the premiere of a very low budget and largely terrible horror film a friend's brother had done sound design on. One of the characters reacted to a mysterious sexy lady appearing in an abandoned factory by making out with her, and then reacted to her turning into a monster by shoving her down and going "What the gently caress! Bitch!" and just kind of walking away. It was amazing.