Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Defenestrategy posted:

Half guard is absolutely miserable if you both know what youre doing. Guy on bottom getting smashed in the face by a shoulder repeatedly, guy on top getting knee torqued.

Also just got my judo yellow belt. No belt mummy pic because I dont think they expected me to just dunk on their test backwards and forwards, so belts in the mail.

Awesome! So Seriyoku Zenyo, Tsugaishi, and all of that just flowed right out of your mouth? Couldn't be me, I need two or three attempts just to get that down; kept a vocabulary chart in my cubicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

Awesome! So Seriyoku Zenyo, Tsugaishi, and all of that just flowed right out of your mouth? Couldn't be me, I need two or three attempts just to get that down; kept a vocabulary chart in my cubicle.

Pretty much, I have enough trade Japanese from highschool, college, anime, and grappling that vocab wasn't a big deal. The only thing that slipped me up was the breakfalls because we've never called the breakfalls by their Japanese name so I had to make best guess on which breakfall they wanted. Otherwise I blitzed through the actual techniques, and had a great uke which helped.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

You know what I want to see on BJJ Fanatics (maybe I just havent seen it): "Playing Against Big Guys: A Blueprint".

Anyone recommend anything along those lines? Would be interested in seeing just some strategies.

Stephan Kesting did two old-school instructionals on this with Emily Kwok and some other guy who I can't remember rn

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

My yellow belt test is in about 10 days and I have a memrise of the terms sensei said I needed to know.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

God, that's the truth. We JUST drilled knee bars from there last week and it was super easy and the technique has already completely left my mind because I'm not allowed to do them until...Brown?

Wait until you learn you cant heelhook in the Gi at brown and black, which is loving ridiculous IMO since all the old school greats did it to each other. I remember my instructor saying he had some old tapes of Marcelo Behring and Rickson Gracie heelhooking each other in the Gi. I never got a chance to see them before moving, but goddamn what I would give to watch those tapes of Jiu Jitsu royalty going at it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What makes it worse is that the reason I've hard given for why the heelhook is banned in the gi... because it's too good! The friction of the pants makes it too hard to escape.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Defenestrategy posted:

Half guard is absolutely miserable if you both know what youre doing. Guy on bottom getting smashed in the face by a shoulder repeatedly, guy on top getting knee torqued.

Also just got my judo yellow belt. No belt mummy pic because I dont think they expected me to just dunk on their test backwards and forwards, so belts in the mail.

Congrats on the belt! But yeah, half guard has maybe the widest spectrum of "great for the bottom person" or "great for the top person" of any position in BJJ if one person knows it better. Everyone, big or small, should invest time into getting good at it from both sides, 'cause you're gonna find yourself there sooner or later whether or not you want to.

CommonShore posted:

Stephan Kesting did two old-school instructionals on this with Emily Kwok and some other guy who I can't remember rn

A bunch of it is free on YT, too.

Jack B Nimble posted:

What makes it worse is that the reason I've hard given for why the heelhook is banned in the gi... because it's too good! The friction of the pants makes it too hard to escape.

If you thought the IBJJF lightweight meta of double guard pulls was stupid now...

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

Pretty much, I have enough trade Japanese from highschool, college, anime, and grappling that vocab wasn't a big deal. The only thing that slipped me up was the breakfalls because we've never called the breakfalls by their Japanese name so I had to make best guess on which breakfall they wanted. Otherwise I blitzed through the actual techniques, and had a great uke which helped.

anime is the best base for judo

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

It's true. When I am able to grab a body lock in judo, I tell them "Omae wa mo shinderu" and when they say "what?" I hit them with a giant uranage.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Defenestrategy posted:

It's true. When I am able to grab a body lock in judo, I tell them "Omae wa mo shinderu" and when they say "what?" I hit them with a giant uranage.

Real talk one time a dude who is good at wrestling and likes anime had me locked up but for once in my whole life I counter threw him because all I heard was "omae-" and timed it.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

this is why everyone should watch ippon again!

https://i.imgur.com/kUvib5b.mp4

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Anyone watching the AIGA Champions League this weekend? That should be some interesting poo poo. I predict a lot of Russians protecting their legs.

its on at like 7am et lol

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Mekchu posted:

this is why everyone should watch ippon again!

https://i.imgur.com/kUvib5b.mp4

uke posting while falling smh

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm a big fan of Yawara, it's older and the Judo depictions are restrained and realistic.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 19, 2023

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

where can i watch these?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sherbert Hoover posted:

uke posting while falling smh

It was a match and the tori wound up getting choked out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUtfGo42kt8

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Hellblazer187 posted:

where can i watch these?

I PM'd you about Yawara.

Edit: Oh I guess they're all on YouTube now?

https://youtu.be/4L5pyNm6aEo

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 19, 2023

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm a big fan of Yawara, it's older and the Judo depictions are restrained and realistic.

oh i never heard of this. will check it out.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

I still mad AnimeEigo released the first 40 episodes of Yawara on dvd (which I remember paying over $100 CAD for). Then hadn't licensed the rest of the show or whatever so never released them.

Anyways who else is still bad at grappling?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

duckdealer posted:

I still mad AnimeEigo released the first 40 episodes of Yawara on dvd (which I remember paying over $100 CAD for). Then hadn't licensed the rest of the show or whatever so never released them.

Anyways who else is still bad at grappling?

There's a 125lb white belt teenager at my gym who has trained inconsistently for six months and I, a 180lb purple belt with four years of 3-6 classes a week and no breaks but covid, can beat him with difficulty and it takes a couple of minutes of hard work. He's the most naturally talented and gifted grappler I've ever personally trained with and a year from now he'll be better than me.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

Game over position, in nogi would like to have a word with you :D

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Jack B Nimble posted:

There's a 125lb white belt teenager at my gym who has trained inconsistently for six months and I, a 180lb purple belt with four years of 3-6 classes a week and no breaks but covid, can beat him with difficulty and it takes a couple of minutes of hard work. He's the most naturally talented and gifted grappler I've ever personally trained with and a year from now he'll be better than me.

Theres a kid who's like, 170 with a slick leg lock game who's pretty smooth with a few rough edges, and I, a 196 pound brown belt with more than a decade experience, consider it a success when I survive his leg locks. I knew he was a teenager, just found out the other day he's 13 and now I fear the young.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Yep, 16 year old blue belt who weighs about 60kg gave me a bunch of trouble Friday night. He mostly trains himself from video material.

Also, I only ever have any real success taking people down with a sloppy sacrifice throw in gi, can't hit it in no gi because there's nothing to grip. It does work on black belts though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-nALpO6x-c&t=94

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

starkebn posted:

Yep, 16 year old blue belt who weighs about 60kg gave me a bunch of trouble Friday night. He mostly trains himself from video material.

Also, I only ever have any real success taking people down with a sloppy sacrifice throw in gi, can't hit it in no gi because there's nothing to grip. It does work on black belts though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-nALpO6x-c&t=94

If it's the person I'm thinking of, I also kneed him in the face on accident earlier in the night. So that's him with a mild bit of head trauma.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

starkebn posted:

No Gi standing work is absolute butts and awful for anyone whose not younger than 25 or on the sauce.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Defenestrategy posted:

No Gi standing work is absolute butts and awful for anyone whose not younger than 25 or on the sauce.

Just turn every arm drag into a brutal makikomi, easy peasy.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Just turn every arm drag into a brutal makikomi, easy peasy.

Kouchi, Uranagi, and Makikomi are my go to in no-gi and its still just... so tiring.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Defenestrategy posted:

Kouchi, Uranagi, and Makikomi are my go to in no-gi and its still just... so tiring.

Oh yeah it definitely is. Sometimes I feel like no matter how much i do this, I'm just always going to be too old to keep up.

I've been getting into waki otoshi from a failed forward throw that uke has side stepped. Anyone have any tips for setting this up?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Hitting the arm drag is still step one though

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Dean Lister is a good dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e41w--hKFpA

That area of SD where Victory MMA is, is sketchy.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Dean Lister is a good dude.

:yeah:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Was on fire wrt standup in BJJ yesterday. Something clicked and I realized that once I get grips I should actually attack something and let the drilling and experience take over. Ended up hitting a beautiful osoto to sasae among other things. I think I realized some sort of truth about passivity in standup being about as draining as not being passive so you might as well go for stuff.

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021
Tuesday nights is just a roll-fest at my gym and tonight was the first night I didn't need to sit out any rounds. Feels nice, like a little incremental progress.

I've been using this other guy as a measure of progress, maybe not the right way to go about it but w/e. We started the same day, but he's 19, fairly big/athletic guy, and pretty aggressive. I'm 43, overweight, and been gaming as my main past time for the past 15+ years, so as long as I can keep up with him for now, I'm feeling pretty good about myself.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Yeah, it's hard not to compare yourself to others, but it won't serve you well in the long run. Just be happy that you see progress in yourself, even in the smallest things like the way you're thinking while grappling.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
or be like me and accept you suck, will always suck, and should just do your best to annoy/frustrate sparring partners as much as you can with silly things

themongol
Apr 30, 2006
Let us celebrate our agreement with the adding of chocolate to milk.

CommonShore posted:

if I understand you correctly, that's actually a passing position which favours the top player strongly, if you're being tight in your space:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmZWRDCTlDI

e. a long video but skip around to see what he does

Thanks so much!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

starkebn posted:

Yeah, it's hard not to compare yourself to others, but it won't serve you well in the long run. Just be happy that you see progress in yourself, even in the smallest things like the way you're thinking while grappling.

I have to admit I don't fully understand how to do this vis a vis grappling. Like with lifting, let's say I increase my bench by 5 lbs, and my gym friend already benched more than me and they still increase theirs by 10 lbs over the same period. Comparing myself to him is a bad idea, I should just be glad over my 5 lbs - I'm stronger than I was before. Great, OK, I get that.

But with grappling our only measure of skill progress is what we're able to do to other people. I have a rolling partner I never swept from guard, then one day I manage to get a sweep. My sweeps are probably getting better. I don't know of another way to determine whether my sweeps are getting better. There's no way to see my own progress except vis a vis another person.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hellblazer187 posted:

I have to admit I don't fully understand how to do this vis a vis grappling. Like with lifting, let's say I increase my bench by 5 lbs, and my gym friend already benched more than me and they still increase theirs by 10 lbs over the same period. Comparing myself to him is a bad idea, I should just be glad over my 5 lbs - I'm stronger than I was before. Great, OK, I get that.

But with grappling our only measure of skill progress is what we're able to do to other people. I have a rolling partner I never swept from guard, then one day I manage to get a sweep. My sweeps are probably getting better. I don't know of another way to determine whether my sweeps are getting better. There's no way to see my own progress except vis a vis another person.

The problem with that is that the other people aren't static numbers or a cumulative mass of iron. They're learning too and getting better. In fact, because of the way the learning curve in this sport works, if you measure on that front there will be many many times where that will mislead you into feeling as if you're getting worse because newer people will learn skills and close those gaps faster.

I'm pretty deep into purple and right now we have a white belt who is 15-20 lbs bigger than me, 15-20 years younger than me, has been doing this for close to a year, and is also a competitive power lifter. He has learned the basics of staying on top, keeping his elbows in, keeping posture, fighting for good grips, not letting me try bullshit, and he has had a few comps. He's tough as nails and has a squeeze that makes up for a lot of deficiences. I have an extremely difficult time with him. I can sweep him and submit him way way less than I could six months ago, and he's strong and fast enough that I need to be as perfect as if I'm rolling against a black belt the same weight as me to control him or I get just hucked off into a scramble. Am I getting worse at jiu jitsu?

I still blow his mind by showing him new techniques that are relatively basic, though. He'll be really scary once he can start doing his sweeps and escapes with technique rather than youthful athleticism.

So the best person to measure yourself against is the person who isn't showing up.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Everyone thinks they suck until year 2 or whatever and they eat some poor new guy alive with guillotines and triangles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Xguard86 posted:

Everyone thinks they suck until year 2 or whatever and they eat some poor new guy alive with guillotines and triangles.

That's what I was going to say; don't get discouraged and sooner or later someone new will join and THEN you'll see all the progress you've made. And then another new guy will join and he'll still be too strong or athletic for you, etc etc. Or you'll have long, suffering rounds on the bottom and think you're doing poorly, but then the round ends and the younger, tougher guy is both exhausted and frustrated that he didn't "beat" you - how do you think things would have gone if neither of you had trained and you got into a fight?

The longer you stay in, the more context you'll have for your own skills and hopefully that makes you more and more comfortable.