Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

I read rest of your post and you are asking for specific legal advice so :shrug:

If people would ask hypotheticals maybe I would respond but no. People barf their personal details out and ... I can’t touch that.

see: the thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mr. Nice! posted:

Lets say I hypothetically tried to extort Nike for ~$25 million and was recorded by the feds. Of course, I'm also doing this while draining clients trust accounts and filing fraudulent tax returns. Will my sentence be better or worse than Paul Manafort's?

Hypothetically, how white are you?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nm posted:

Hypothetically, how white are you?

Let's say northern mediterranean white. Hypothetically.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

DaveSauce posted:

I have some will/estate planning related questions. Thought this was going to be simple, but it ended up sprawling a bit so bear with me.

Since my wife and I now have a kid and are probably going to have a second, we decided it was time to get a will. We're in NC. The main intent is to cover the unlikely event where we both die at the same time, since it's kind of a no-brainer if only one of us goes.

We had a quick free consult with an attorney and it seems pretty straight forward, but this is the only one we've talked to so far. The only thing I didn't like is that he seemed to lack confidence on pricing... seemed a little nervous when he threw out a figure of $525 for two wills (one for each of us, basically going to be copy/paste). With no other info I'm comfortable with that number, but it kind of set off alarm bells the way he acted.

So first, is $525 on par for a basic will for 2 people? I think there will be verbiage to set up a trust(s) for our kid(s) in the event that both of us kick it at the same time, but outside of that I'm not sure there's anything special about our situation. No special property at the moment, just cash accounts, cars, some minor valuables, house (mortgage), retirement accounts, life insurance (through work), etc.

Second, anything in particular to ask for/watch out for? The attorney made sure to advise against giving specific amounts to people since it could take away from the "remainder" portion of things. So if I wanted to leave $5k to my brother and leave the rest to my kid(s), there's a risk that my kids get nothing if my estate has less than $5k. So I'm wondering if there are other tricky things like that where you make assumptions that don't really pan out like you intend.

Third, we have no family members in NC that we would necessarily want to take care of things, the executor will almost certainly be out of state. Anything alarming about this? The attorney mentioned that we need someone NC based to shuttle documents/etc. to from the courthouse around after we go, but he made it sound like that could easily be assigned to a local 3rd party by the executor.

And finally, what is the portability of a will? Say we make this in NC, but in 5 years we move to another state and forget to make a new one. Will this document at least be used as a guideline for another state to work towards? I'm sure some of this depends on the state we go to, but I'm looking for a general sense of how important it is to get a new will if we move.

Oh yeah, one last question: we have two 529 savings accounts set up, one with our first-born as the beneficiary, and one with myself as the beneficiary (since we haven't even conceived our 2nd kid yet). They're both solely in my name as the account owner, with my wife named as the successor for ownership (in the 529 plan documents). Do we need to do anything special for these in the will, or is the intent clear enough that they're supposed to be for college? I mainly want to make sure they don't automatically get liquidated and paid as cash to our kids' trust, since I assume that would trigger taxes and penalties. I'd prefer that they (or a trustee) decide what to do with that money.

This sounds like a good deal, you should take it. Also, the attorney is less than 100% confident when quoting a price because he's doing you the huge favor of quoting you a flat-fee price instead of billing hourly, and you should be grateful he was kind enough to do that before starting on drafting your wills. Wills are very portable as long as your state follows some of the standard self-authentication procedures (witnesses, notary present, etc) and the state you move to also follows those same procedures. Many states, including mine, will recognize a will from a foreign state as long as it was executed properly according to the laws of the state it was executed in. Updates to an existing will("codicils") or new wills patterned after old ones are generally not difficult or expensive. No problem with out of state executor, just make sure that the person you nominate is the type of person that can take time off to handle your affairs. If you name your spouse or someone else as the beneficiary of a bank account, CD, 529 or retirement account, you don't specifically need to talk about it in the will, because the financial institution has the contractual right to disburse that money to the beneficiary without going through probate.

I chose to answer this man's questions as a giant gently caress YOU to my law school ethics professor.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

This sounds like a good deal, you should take it. Also, the attorney is less than 100% confident when quoting a price because he's doing you the huge favor of quoting you a flat-fee price instead of billing hourly, and you should be grateful he was kind enough to do that before starting on drafting your wills. Wills are very portable as long as your state follows some of the standard self-authentication procedures (witnesses, notary present, etc) and the state you move to also follows those same procedures. Many states, including mine, will recognize a will from a foreign state as long as it was executed properly according to the laws of the state it was executed in. Updates to an existing will("codicils") or new wills patterned after old ones are generally not difficult or expensive. No problem with out of state executor, just make sure that the person you nominate is the type of person that can take time off to handle your affairs. If you name your spouse or someone else as the beneficiary of a bank account, CD, 529 or retirement account, you don't specifically need to talk about it in the will, because the financial institution has the contractual right to disburse that money to the beneficiary without going through probate.

I chose to answer this man's questions as a giant gently caress YOU to my law school ethics professor.

euphronius posted:

I stopped reading a few paragraphs in but 525 for two wills is cheap as gently caress

Imma respond too since there's no loving way you can hold me responsible for whatever I write here: 500 bucks would be hilariously inadequate to get you a will with me. I do a custom job and I would easily quote you twice that if I was being nice to you for some reason (I wouldn't be), though I am in a very different country.

Also btw

euphronius posted:

I read rest of your post and you are asking for specific legal advice so :shrug:

If people would ask hypotheticals maybe I would respond but no. People barf their personal details out and ... I can’t touch that.

Dude is right, you're coming in here asking very specific legal advice questions that are best answered by your personal attorney practicing in your relevant area for remuneration and quite frankly it comes way too close to asking for free legal assistance and this thread isn't for that, and you didn't deserve "TheWordOfTheDayIs" answer. I'm sorry, but I've had too many assholes calling me up wasting my time soliciting for free legal advice lately and I'm getting kinda salty about it.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

Awesome, thanks man! I was hypothetically in the middle of writing a response when this popped up.

The only thing on price that got me was that he pulled out a rate sheet shortly after he quoted us and confirmed the price, and then he gave us a letter listing the firm price on it.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Imma respond too since there's no loving way you can hold me responsible for whatever I write here: 500 bucks would be hilariously inadequate to get you a will with me. I do a custom job and I would easily quote you twice that if I was being nice to you for some reason (I wouldn't be), though I am in a very different country.

Yeah I have absolutely no frame of reference here. Makes sense, this guy was barely older than us and was working out of a very spartan 2-room suite in a small suburban office space (literally down the hall from a dentist). So I thought this guy was either dirt cheap, or quoting such a ridiculously high rate that he can't hold on to clients.

He came as a reference from my wife's co-worker in a nearly identical situation, so we figured it was a good place to at least start.

quote:

Also btw

Dude is right, you're coming in here asking very specific legal advice questions that are best answered by your personal attorney practicing in your relevant area for remuneration and quite frankly it comes way too close to asking for free legal assistance and this thread isn't for that, and you didn't deserve "TheWordOfTheDayIs" answer. I'm sorry, but I've had too many assholes calling me up wasting my time soliciting for free legal advice lately and I'm getting kinda salty about it.

Yeah I get that now, so I apologize for that. I'm going to have to plead ignorance of where the line is. I thought my questions were far more generic than they apparently are, and every other ask/advice thread around here will throw you out the door if you don't provide specifics. I wasn't looking for "hey tell me exactly what I need here," so sorry if it came off that way. And in re-reading what I posted, I can see how it would be interpreted as such. I was more looking for "are there any red flags here and what other questions should I be asking or things should I be looking at for what I perceive is a very common situation."

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

DaveSauce posted:

Yeah I have absolutely no frame of reference here. Makes sense, this guy was barely older than us and was working out of a very spartan 2-room suite in a small suburban office space (literally down the hall from a dentist). So I thought this guy was either dirt cheap, or quoting such a ridiculously high rate that he can't hold on to clients.

He came as a reference from my wife's co-worker in a nearly identical situation, so we figured it was a good place to at least start.

Well it's not like it's difficult, it's just time-consuming. Also, lawyers in the US don't get paid money anymore unless they are from a top school at a big law firm and those guys probably wouldn't take your call and charge you 500 dollars to walk in the room, look at you in disgust and leave. Small practice law is not lucrative, it's just a simple service, and it's hosed up that people go "oh well he's not very successful, his office is tiny, maybe he's crap" assuming it's the 1960s and being a lawyer is a real job for the upper classes. Maybe he's got a small office because he got hosed by student loans and the lawyer glut and it's all he can afford. If all you need is a will there's no reason to turn your nose up, but if you like I'm sure you can go uptown to a more classy joint and pay 5000 dollars for the exact same service.

DaveSauce posted:

Yeah I get that now, so I apologize for that. I'm going to have to plead ignorance of where the line is. I thought my questions were far more generic than they apparently are, and every other ask/advice thread around here will throw you out the door if you don't provide specifics. I wasn't looking for "hey tell me exactly what I need here," so sorry if it came off that way. And in re-reading what I posted, I can see how it would be interpreted as such. I was more looking for "are there any red flags here and what other questions should I be asking or things should I be looking at for what I perceive is a very common situation."

Eh, I'm just being pissy. There's not really any harm in asking, after all, and it's smart to be well prepared for these things because probate with no wills and multiple heirs is just a painful clusterfuck for any family.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ve done tons of small and medium lawyering and spartan offices is the norm.

The only guys who had nice offices were some successful plaintiff lawyers and the guys with huge clients ( who wouldn’t represent you anyway)

Often times you just will have people who convert the front rooms of a house into an office as well (if zoning allows it).

There really isn’t a point to high overhead except for employees and even employees are a pain in the rear end.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 26, 2019

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Well it's not like it's difficult, it's just time-consuming. Also, lawyers in the US don't get paid money anymore unless they are from a top school at a big law firm and those guys probably wouldn't take your call and charge you 500 dollars to walk in the room, look at you in disgust and leave. Small practice law is not lucrative, it's just a simple service, and it's hosed up that people go "oh well he's not very successful, his office is tiny, maybe he's crap" assuming it's the 1960s and being a lawyer is a real job for the upper classes. Maybe he's got a small office because he got hosed by student loans and the lawyer glut and it's all he can afford. If all you need is a will there's no reason to turn your nose up, but if you like I'm sure you can go uptown to a more classy joint and pay 5000 dollars for the exact same service.

Yeah that was kind of a lovely assumption to make on my part. Again, no frame of reference here. To be sure, I wasn't expecting a giant office with vaulted ceilings, thousands of books, and a 20' long oak desk filled with brandy. But when I think of a "small law practice" I had expected at least 2 or 3 lawyers and a couple other employees. This was literally 1 guy with an assistant, so it didn't really mesh with anything I had in my head.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If he had an assistant he was doing very, very well.

No one has books anymore. They are ridiculously expensive and stupid.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

euphronius posted:

I was at least hoping for some brandy :(

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

DaveSauce posted:

I was at least hoping for some brandy :(

It’s there somewhere, trust me

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It’s there somewhere, trust me

Joking aside, I'm actually curious. Who keeps alcohol at the office? Is this an american thing? I can't think of a single person who would do this who wasn't a massive alcoholic. poo poo I'd almost call it a fire-able offense.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Joking aside, I'm actually curious. Who keeps alcohol at the office? Is this an american thing? I can't think of a single person who would do this who wasn't a massive alcoholic. poo poo I'd almost call it a fire-able offense.

Every firm I’ve worked at had alcohol. Usually it was used at the end of a long day, with other lawyers and/or clients, as a way to unwind and talk about stuff that had happened in court or whatever. Then people could go home.

Same as meeting up at the bar for a drink which also happens.

I guess if a solo has booze that’s sort of different, but presumably he has things to toast with clients for as well. The “whiskey bottle in a drawer that comes out for a pop around 10am and 2pm” is something else entirely.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

I stopped reading a few paragraphs in but 525 for two wills is cheap as gently caress

Same

Joking aside, I'm actually curious. Who keeps alcohol at the office? Is this an american thing? I can't think of a single person who would do this who wasn't a massive alcoholic.

Everybody does this here. Its some sort of amalgamation of 1950's romanticizing, and the normalization of alcoholism.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 26, 2019

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

My former office had a fully stocked bar, but no one ever drank on the clock.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

It was a thing in like Mad Men era. These days, the joke is that lawyers are alcoholics.

It's always a little weird when I'm at a work lunch and people order drinks, but it shouldn't be given how often it happens.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Well, there's a culture difference for you. All of that would probably be considered extremely unprofessional over here.

I mean we barely offer our clients coffee and even that seems very inefficient.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It's because at least 1 in 5 lawyers admit having a substance abuse problem and the number is actually closer to 1 in 3 if you count the ones that refuse to admit it.

A non-trivial number of attorneys are functioning alcoholics.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Well, there's a culture difference for you. All of that would probably be considered extremely unprofessional over here.

I mean we barely offer our clients coffee and even that seems very inefficient.

Oh I consider it pretty unprofessional! Doesn't mean it isn't common

To be fair, a lot of the time opposing counsel's filings strike me as unprofessional, too. :shrug:

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Honestly most people here in the US consider it unprofessional as well... today, at least. But there are certain sectors where it happens, and you don't have to go back to the 50s to see it as common either.

Essentially anybody in a job where networking/relationships are a key part of business seem to be more prone to having drinks at lunch. So sales, marketing, recruiting, etc... I'm in engineering, so trying to do work that requires a lot of focus after a beer or two isn't the best idea.

An old school sales guy at my last job had all sorts of stories... when he was just starting out as a junior sales guy in the 80s, for one of his regular Christmas tasks he was given a list of customers, a list of cars, and a stash of booze... he would swing by the car, pop the trunk, and make a deposit. This was the 80s though, where apparently you'd also get yelled at if the "entertainment" line on your expense report was too small... so there was quite a culture behind it.

Obviously things have changed significantly since then. Most places I've worked have pretty strict policies, and even at the places that were more lax it was pretty rare for people to have a beer at lunch unless they were taking a half day.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 26, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You need to consider most attorneys are their own bosses or similarly untouchable by any workplace rules.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

euphronius posted:

You need to consider most attorneys are their own bosses or similarly untouchable by any workplace rules.

This is true. If I have a drink or two at lunch, I can gently caress off all afternoon (either in terms of "working" or just enjoying the day) and it's really only my own issue to deal with. I think lawyers with downward pressure to bill and be available for assignments are in a different position. There are professional penalties to pay for, say, being too buzzed to go on a site inspection if asked at the last minute by a partner, or asked to sit in on a client meeting.

If a young lawyer tries to do that drunk, or has to turn it down because they aren't comfortable doing it because they drank at lunch or whatever, that's a problem.

Usually a young lawyer in the position of drinking at lunch is doing it with a partner, at that partner's implied direction, and for marketing purposes as others have said. So, it's generally tolerated.

Of course people should know their limits. One time five partners invited a potential hire to meet for cocktails. The purpose of this was for the partners to see if they could get along with him. This was after a solid interview, and the kid was a strong candidate. The job was his to lose. He did most everything right, but after his second big rear end martini he started getting too familiar, too arrogant and aggressive in his conversation. He didn't pick up on the subtle hints he was being given. He did not get an offer.

And that young associate was Phil Moscowitz. LOL just kidding, I was one of the partners. I liked the kid but he just rubbed everyone wrong by the end.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
e: wrong thread.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

euphronius posted:

Arguably the best local attorney in my (somewhat niche) area of law is a solo with one assistant. I believe he charges as much or more than his local biglaw counterparts, and is honestly worth every penny. I have no doubt at all he could bring on additional lawyers. But he does very well for himself and seems happy going solo.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Hypothetically, a not-for-profit (not a non-profit) in the Seattle area has begun requiring "community service" as part of their employee evaluations (evaluations which impact compensation). This "community service" is intended to be used for marketing purposes for the organization. The organization doesn't offer any sort of compensation for said service (no "16 paid hours per quarter of community service," or "do a day of community service, get an extra floating holiday" kind of thing). This is for a mix of (mostly underpaid) hourly non-exempt and salaried exempt employees. I'm guessing :capitalism:?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are these hypothetically professional level jobs or wage level

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Are these hypothetically professional level jobs or wage level
These hypothetical jobs are white-collar, most of the customer-facing positions making just above minimum wage, most non-management employees making sub-$60,000-$70,000 per year (even the exempt employees). Even the customer-facing jobs are relatively skilled, hypothetically something like tax preparation.

EDIT: I wasn't sure if you were asking what type of hypothetical jobs they are, or how much they hypothetically make, so I answered both.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 26, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
let's say i just got indicted for, hypothetically, extorting a major apparel company

would it be a good idea or a bad idea to immediately start tweeting about how the indictment is rigged and the alleged victim is out to get me

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

let's say i just got indicted for, hypothetically, extorting a major apparel company

would it be a good idea or a bad idea to immediately start tweeting about how the indictment is rigged and the alleged victim is out to get me

it would make your lawyer's plea in mitigation interesting to have to draft

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Hypothetical since people keep asking for that:

Person X signs a lease for 225 Main Street, Apt. 1, Anytown, USA 12345. One of the addendums to the lease (like the one that tells you to contact your landlord if you think there might be bedbugs) shows the address as 225 Main Street, Apt. 1, Anytown, USA 12367. Only the ZIP code is wrong, and the rest of the address doesn't actually exist in that wrong ZIP code.

1) Does this affect whether the addendum is valid? Or would a judge or whoever look at it and say obviously they meant ZIP code 12345 so it's fine

2) If that same address did exist in the wrong ZIP code, would that do anything?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The typo doesn’t invalidate your lease.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Hypothetically my workplace may or may not offer "legal insurance," where one hypothetically pays a premium and gets access to a wide array of legal services at theoretically no cost (though the hypothetical documentation is vague and may actually cover slim to nil, or maybe an initial consultation). Subject to "in-network" lawyers. A hypothetical person who was offered this may not have dug in to the details, but the provider is hypthetically MetLaw.

The cost is hypothetically $120/year.

Is this a real hypothetically useful thing, or is it hot hypothetical garbage?

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 27, 2019

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:guillotine:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

My dad's PI attorney has a couple statutes of Anubis and the upholstery reeks of stogies. Spartan or no?

E: thanks autocorrect for the appropriate typo

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 27, 2019

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

BonerGhost posted:

statutes of Anubis

Hieroglyphic code books written on papyrus. Sounds cool to me

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

DaveSauce posted:

Hypothetically my workplace may or may not offer "legal insurance," where one hypothetically pays a premium and gets access to a wide array of legal services at theoretically no cost (though the hypothetical documentation is vague and may actually cover slim to nil, or maybe an initial consultation). Subject to "in-network" lawyers. A hypothetical person who was offered this may not have dug in to the details, but the provider is hypthetically MetLaw.

The cost is hypothetically $120/year.

Is this a real hypothetically useful thing, or is it hot hypothetical garbage?

Hypotheticals aside, my work offers two tiers of ARAG, and I’ve enrolled in the 2.0 tier, which covers me for a wide array of stuff and is only something like $20 a pay period. I have co-workers that’ve used it and were happy with both the representation and the next to nothing bills they had.

I called HR and spoke with somebody there and at ARAG to go over what it covers. Does your hypotheical person have the ability to do that too?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
That’s surprising that people liked it because I have never heard stories of “legal insurance” not being useless

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

EwokEntourage posted:

That’s surprising that people liked it because I have never heard stories of “legal insurance” not being useless

One was for a non-contentious divorce, other was for some sort of property dispute. Small sampling but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was by and large useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

My legal plan through work has been fine for like $7/check.

I've used it for demand letters and for an attorney to do my closing.

Most other simple legal document services are covered as well: wills, trusts, etc.