Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

And maybe it's just me, but now with him gone, the ATK personnel seems like about half queer. And yes, it's an improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Oh on that we can all 100% agree. He’s a mealy mouthed smarmy little gently caress who we’re well rid of, and he has been from the jump off.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Suspect Bucket posted:

BA's got Gaby and Molly. Any time a video's being slow, just bring Gaby in to dish out some perspective, or have Molly curse.

Or have Claire do literally anything. :allears:

Or put Matty Matheson in a river and make him play footsie with catfish. That was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Croatoan posted:

I think that's the big deal. Criticisms aside of his preference to water, the dude is a dick. He was belittling in every drat segment he was on and I eventually disliked ATK, now I love it again. It doesn't help his case that he absolutely hates anything with any heat but generally I think most people in here just don't like him as a person and it's well deserved.

Kimball was running around on his second wife with one of the ATK producers, whom he later married. He also literally raided ATK's recipe database when he was working behind the scenes to get Milk Street off the ground.

He's also a giant baby who cringes at more than a dash of salt or black pepper, and he's a condescending jackwagon (you can tell in some episodes of the TV show that Bridget Lancaster was ready to deck him but was holding back). gently caress him.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

bartolimu posted:

Or have Claire do literally anything. :allears:

Or put Matty Matheson in a river and make him play footsie with catfish. That was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

BA needs to figure out their post-production bottleneck before they keep trying to push more content. I don't know if it's a lack of editors or overworked directors/producers or too much bureaucracy, but they need to streamline that poo poo because they have plenty of on-camera talent.

Like, I get that frequently they're also trying to make magazine articles, but when you're testing christmas cookies in july for the november/december edition you need to streamline your pipeline or just stop trying to make magazines entirely.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Made the pumpkin potato corn chowder I had made puree for. It's... Not amazing. It's ok, and it'll do wonders for our digestion (bf just got back from India, and he brought back the runs). I liked the mash with just seasoning.

Oh well, tons of mash in the freezer to make pies and cookies. Because it's finally cool enough to use my scary oven!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ba suffered from long form vids leading to more ads. It's quickly becoming as absurd as huge rear end stories before a text recipe

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Ba suffered from long form vids leading to more ads. It's quickly becoming as absurd as huge rear end stories before a text recipe

To be fair, they've cleaned this up a lot and nowadays most of the long form stuff is clearly produced to be entertaining, not instructional. The videos that are straightforward "here's how you make this thing" are typically 7 to 11 minutes, while the long form network-style stuff goes 15-42 minutes depending on format.

This is as opposed to people like Sam the Cooking Guy, who takes thirteen minutes to talk about his ingredients, two minutes to prep, three minutes to cook, and spends five more minutes talking about how good his recipe tastes.

e: and yes, there will be six commercial breaks in the latter video.

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 26, 2019

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I like ba's long videos. Better than most TV imo.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Long live the BA talent and editors

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I always thought he and his daughter's dynamic was weird and a thing to joke about on the internet but nah, dude's cool
http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/September-2019/Rick-Bayless/
Good god, 2000s me was such a snarky rear end in a top hat who always had to be bitchy

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 26, 2019

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Croatoan posted:

I always thought he and his daughter's dynamic was weird and a thing to joke about on the internet but nah, dude's cool
Good god, 2000s me was such a snarky rear end in a top hat who always had to be bitchy

i always conflated and/or dismissed all the food network personalities back when, but dude is p. chill irl and i came to respect him a lot

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Croatoan posted:

Rick Bayless has always seemed like a genuine fuckin' dude to me, like, he's always seemed like he really wants to do things right when making a recipe. For a while, his was the only show I'd watch on Food Network, before 2016 happened and everything went to poo poo and now watching four episodes of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives just seems like what I deserve a lot of the time

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

As much as I hate Guy, for a while he had a show where he actually cooked, all by himself, with no one else to clown around with... and it was pretty good? I guess I was surprised that he can actually cook.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I saw him make eggs for smash mouth and then smash mouth could not eat the eggs

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

So is there anything that makes a good substitute for Cilantro, cause I've got that thing that makes Cilantro taste like soap to me

Strong Italian parsley is my go to. Though that is at least partly because I have like a loving field of it in my yard. That poo poo grows like a weed.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
This might be idiotic, but what about Thai basil? Would that work as a substitute?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
why do you need a substitute? You can just not use it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

No Wave posted:

why do you need a substitute? You can just not use it.

Why do you hate flavor?

Cilantro is a BIG flavor, removing it means you need to add something.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I too have that stupid gene and it sucks. Everyone says cilantro is awesome, I wish I could enjoy it. I've asked before and from what I understand it really is one of those herbs where there is no really good substitute. IDK for sure :(

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

You can try Culantro.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Squashy Nipples posted:

Why do you hate flavor?

Cilantro is a BIG flavor, removing it means you need to add something.
that's not really true and should be evaluated on a dish by dish basis

Guacamole is good with or without cilantro
A taco is fine with or without cilantro sprinkled over it

Whether you need a replacement and what that replacement should be will be motivated by what you're cooking. Just putting a new different strong herb into every cilantro dish probably will not work out well.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Okay so there is a little edge drying on this next batch. I’m going to put the rest into the vacuum sealer to even out over the next few months.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.
I’ve never thought cilantro tasted like soap, but to me it tastes like any other, slightly bitter green herb.

I don’t hate it or anything, but if there’s some key to some godlike cilantro flavor, I’ve never found it.

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt
I never liked coriander until recently. I’d recommend trying to build your way up to using it with small amounts. Even a few strands can improve a dish. Strands? Yes, I’d also recommend hitting up the farmer’s market by you to get some Delfino coriander. It is like dill fern in appearance, little strands for leaves, and has a better flavor. I can never find any that hasn’t bolted but the flowers are edible too. I mostly only though am cooking Indian things - I have no idea how I would use it in any other context.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Dead Of Winter posted:

I’ve never thought cilantro tasted like soap, but to me it tastes like any other, slightly bitter green herb.

I don’t hate it or anything, but if there’s some key to some godlike cilantro flavor, I’ve never found it.

I've never met a cilantro agnostic. Dang

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Eat This Glob posted:

I've never met a cilantro agnostic. Dang

I'm pretty much the same way. My thing is that cilantro definitely has a place, but everyone uses waaaaaay too goddamn much of it and the whole dish just tastes like cilantro. Especially Tex-Mex places where there's cilantro in the rice, cilantro in the pico, cilantro in the hot salsa, and cilantro in the guacamole. And then more cilantro on top.

I feel the same way about sandwich places that use too much drat oregano, incidentally.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Whalley posted:

My wife's family has several friends who really like his stuff and think he's a genius and also told me not to go down the "ethnics" aisle in the grocery store because "you don't know what they eat" and that's the kind of person I think of when I think Christopher Kimball

I was very amused when I moved to America and the British food was in the 'ethnic aisle' at Meijer. Like, I'm not used to thinking of myself as an ethnic?

Of course, right next to it was the 'Southern' category because I guess they won the civil war and the Confederacy is a foreign country now?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Well I mean, have you ever been to the South?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
One thing that definitely makes the south different is how many more smokers there are and how much more socially acceptable it is than in other parts of the country.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Coasterphreak posted:

One thing that definitely makes the south different is how many more smokers there are and how much more socially acceptable it is than in other parts of the country.

I am confused by this. There are a lot more smokers, as in the cooking appliance.

If you are talking about people who smoke, I don't think that's right at all. The only place I have been with any major stigma against smoking, or appreciably fewer smokers than the south is California. Everywhere else seems about the same.

The south has WAY more chewing tobacco than anywhere else though.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Yeah I guess my frame of reference is skewed because I just got back from a week in San Diego and it was my first vacation out of the south in a really long time. It just amazed me how few smokers there were (and how few cigarette butts lying around everywhere).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Doom Rooster posted:

If you are talking about people who smoke, I don't think that's right at all. The only place I have been with any major stigma against smoking, or appreciably fewer smokers than the south is California. Everywhere else seems about the same.

You are wrong, although it's more Appalachia and surrounding points.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

ulmont posted:

You are wrong, although it's more Appalachia and surrounding points.

Yeah coming from LA to Ohio it’s crazy how many smokers there are.

Of course my Belgian exchange student remarks on how few people smoke here in Ohio compared to Europe.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Just spent two weeks in the Netherlands and it’s insane how much people smoke there compared to California.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

When i went to Taiwan, people there smoked like chimneys.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

No Wave posted:

Guacamole is good with or without cilantro
A taco is fine with or without cilantro sprinkled over it

Well, I guess we can agree to disagree on these here.

Coasterphreak posted:

I'm pretty much the same way. My thing is that cilantro definitely has a place, but everyone uses waaaaaay too goddamn much of it and the whole dish just tastes like cilantro. Especially Tex-Mex places where there's cilantro in the rice, cilantro in the pico, cilantro in the hot salsa, and cilantro in the guacamole. And then more cilantro on top.

Cilantro extends life. Cilantro expands consciousness.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I find cilantro to be like salt, the more you add the more delicious anything is. My go to Green smoothie is now 90 grams of baby kale and 25 grams of cilantro. So good.
E: there's other ingredients too.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 27, 2019

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Jalapeños extend life. Jalapeños expand consciousness.

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

I love chilis in general but jalapeños are the worst tasting one
except green bell peppers which I don't count because I don't consider them food