Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
My biggest question is whether there are going to be regular stasis anomalies in addition to the vast ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Naramyth won 10 - 9.

Fucker.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

With destroyer weapons, do you roll saves before or after the D3 wounds are determined?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I believe its one wound, which if unsaved, is multiplied into D3.

krushgroove posted:

I'm hoping for a new Chaos codex next, or within a couple of months.

Rumors are it will be next year alongside 8th edition

You know, just to make sure Chaos can have another lovely codex

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

BULBASAUR posted:

I haven't been playing since RT, 2e or 3e like some of you guys but I've been around long enough in this era of GW to see that rumors are just rumors until whatever's next is about 1 or 2 months away.

That said, there's been nothing about Chaos mentioned for a while, so I'll wait before getting my hopes up.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Slimnoid posted:

Most rumors are pointing towards Tau as the next release. After that it'd be either Chaos or IG, with me betting IG first (can't have too many non-imperial releases in a row yanno).

Which would make my entire collection unuseable unless I cough up for the new codexes! :shepspends:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

krushgroove posted:

I haven't been playing since RT, 2e or 3e like some of you guys but I've been around long enough in this era of GW to see that rumors are just rumors until whatever's next is about 1 or 2 months away.

That said, there's been nothing about Chaos mentioned for a while, so I'll wait before getting my hopes up.

At this point, I'm not even sure I care enough to hope. It'll either be another crap bland book to play Washington Generals, except it'll have formations that give Forgefiends Fear or some crap if you bring 3-6 of them. And perhaps some formations that give free transports since that's the new thing, so if you like rhinos a lot, I guess it'll be fun.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Glad Deathwing and Knights are getting decent changes/buffs. Now I have to sit down and paint up 46Terminators. :shepface:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sephyr posted:

At this point, I'm not even sure I care enough to hope. It'll either be another crap bland book to play Washington Generals, except it'll have formations that give Forgefiends Fear or some crap if you bring 3-6 of them. And perhaps some formations that give free transports since that's the new thing, so if you like rhinos a lot, I guess it'll be fun.

CSM were my first army, but I don't care anymore. I learned the hard way that you get much better support playing a loyalist army. So I'm entirely switched to 30k where I can get the best of both.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

PierreTheMime posted:

Glad Deathwing and Knights are getting decent changes/buffs. Now I have to sit down and paint up 46Terminators. :shepface:

I got something like 30 terminators painted and that's as much as I'm probably going to have, barring a massive points drop or something.

The 16 or so bikes I have are what make me :shepface: right now though. And the 4 land speeders. And 5 razorbacks.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Slimnoid posted:

I got something like 30 terminators painted and that's as much as I'm probably going to have, barring a massive points drop or something.

The 16 or so bikes I have are what make me :shepface: right now though. And the 4 land speeders. And 5 razorbacks.

Yeah a full Terminator army hasn't really ever been competitive but it seems like a very quick and fun way to play. I'll probably get in a few games for funsies with them but they're not a huge priority. Still have a bunch of Drop Pods, Devastators, and Daemons to paint through first.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

BULBASAUR posted:

Wait, are there actually credible rumors about 8th edition coming out next year?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah a full Terminator army hasn't really ever been competitive but it seems like a very quick and fun way to play. I'll probably get in a few games for funsies with them but they're not a huge priority. Still have a bunch of Drop Pods, Devastators, and Daemons to paint through first.

Back in like 3rd edition it was surprisingly effective since AP3 was the gold standard for weapons at the time and AP2 was uncommon for most people.

However, DA terminators were 52pts a pop and if you committed to a DW army, you could ONLY take them and dreadnoughts and land raiders. Usually that meant you had maybe 25 models on the field for a 1500pt game, if that, so you were even more hilariously outnumbered than you are in 7th.

Edit:

WELP. There goes my first-turn deep striking.

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 21, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheChirurgeon posted:

Oh you mean the sold out Skyhammer Annihilation force, that comes with exclusive web rules for the formation? Yeah, that's totally what we were asking for when we wanted some units to be able to assault from deep strike

so exclusive :swoon:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Slimnoid posted:

Back in like 3rd edition it was surprisingly effective since AP3 was the gold standard for weapons at the time and AP2 was uncommon for most people.

However, DA terminators were 52pts a pop and if you committed to a DW army, you could ONLY take them and dreadnoughts and land raiders. Usually that meant you had maybe 25 models on the field for a 1500pt game, if that, so you were even more hilariously outnumbered than you are in 7th.

Edit:

Hang on, doesn't that kill Deathwing Assault?

Have they changed the rule that you have to have models on the table or you lose automatically.

Otherwise you can't run a full Deathwing army, you're going to have to bring enough other troops to sit on the table (and survive) turn one.

Edit: Do we know if the Terminators got any cheaper?

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 21, 2015

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

I get that I can download the rules. It's just a shithouse thing for them to do and the fact that the internet exists and will let me illegally circumvent their bullshit doesn't change that.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Slimnoid posted:

Edit:

Man I wish they'd do these interactive codices on Android and not just iOS, that looks convenient as hell.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Deptfordx posted:

Hang on, doesn't that kill Deathwing Assault?

Have they changed the rule that you have to have models on the table or you lose automatically.

Otherwise you can't run a full Deathwing army, you're going to have to bring enough other troops to sit on the table (and survive) turn one.

Edit: Do we know if the Terminators got any cheaper?

I have to assume that the Deathwing Redemption Force, which is a Formation of only Belial/Chaplain/Company Master/Librarian, Deathwing Terminators, optional Deathwing Command Squad, optional Deathwing Knights, and optional Venerable Dreadnought, will have an ability to come in first turn. One of the "tease" texts from a recent White Dwarf was that Deathwing would be ready to assault turn 2. It would make sense that the Formation would fix the necessary FOC requirements of Troops to go full Terminator, give them a bump in arrival time and probably give ObSec to the normal Terminators.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

CSM were my first army, but I don't care anymore. I learned the hard way that you get much better support playing a loyalist army. So I'm entirely switched to 30k where I can get the best of both.

CSM 8th edition: Strength D weapons on sonic weapons! Inferno rounds are D! The D is everywhere! No legions.
A month later, SM 8th edition: Introducing Strength Double D, and D-Resistant Armor. Rules for every chapter.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

CSM are bad guys, games workshop would never give them the D.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Ignite Memories posted:

CSM are bad guys, games workshop would never give them the D.

Oh, Chaos will have the D*.

*Slaanesh only.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Welp, ended my tourney win streak yesterday.

Doubles tournament, where I was running Eldar/Dark Eldar and my partner was running a Grey Knight Nemesis Strike Force and we absolutely crushed a Admech/Skitarri/Grey Wolf force in the first game. The second game, however, was probably the most frustrating thing I've ever played.

We faced a dual Eldar/Dark Eldar force who deployed first and because we null deployed, they went second. We brought all our Grey Knight stuff in turn 1 and proceeded to just thrash them over the next three turns.Because I rolled a -1 to their reserves their stuff came in at a trickle and we just pounded everything. We lost this game. Why? Because they played so slow that we ended at the bottom of turn 4. Knowing they had no reason to worry about losing more troops, their last stuff came on the board (bikes) and just turboboosted over all the objectives to take the secondary/tertiary objectives. Primary was kill points, but losing the secondary and tertiary meant they tied and won on tactical objective points. It was a kill points primary and we had only lost two units (a bike squad and the Tantalus), and would certainly tabled them in turn 5.

Why was it so frustrating? Because they slow-played, intentionally or not, that whole goddamn game. In that last turn, with 3 units on the board, and 3 coming in from reserve, they took 10 minutes debate how to move them before touching a single goddamn model. That team eventually went on to win the tournament against an opponent that we would have matched up well against in a deployment type favorable to us.

Boon fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 21, 2015

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Boon posted:

Problem

Timed turns. I don't know why tournaments don't have them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Boon posted:

Welp, ended my tourney win streak yesterday.

Doubles tournament, where I was running Eldar/Dark Eldar and my partner was running a Grey Knight Nemesis Strike Force and we absolutely crushed a Admech/Skitarri/Grey Wolf force in the first game. The second game, however, was probably the most frustrating thing I've ever played.

We faced a dual Eldar/Dark Eldar force who deployed first and because we null deployed, they went second. We brought all our Grey Knight stuff in turn 1 and proceeded to just thrash them over the next three turns.Because I rolled a -1 to their reserves their stuff came in at a trickle and we just pounded everything. We lost this game. Why? Because they played so slow that we ended at the bottom of turn 4. Knowing they had no reason to worry about losing more troops, their last stuff came on the board (bikes) and just turboboosted over all the objectives to take the secondary/tertiary objectives. Primary was kill points, but losing the secondary and tertiary meant they tied and won on tactical objective points. It was a kill points primary and we had only lost two units, and would certainly tabled them in turn 5.

Why was it so frustrating? Because they slow-played, intentionally or not, that whole goddamn game. In that last turn, with 3 units on the board, and 3 coming in from reserve, they took 10 minutes debate how to move them before touching a single goddamn model. That team eventually went on to win the tournament against an opponent that we would have matched up well against.

I honestly don't understand why tournaments haven't started solving that with the obvious solution - a chess clock. Hams are minmaxing, loophole abusing assholes, but being an rear end in a top hat won't beat a time limit per turn.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Tournaments dont have turn time limits? Why the hell not? Thats such an abusable thing.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
It also balances the power of things like summon spam lists.

Sure you can create 10 units a turn, but can you do anything with them...?

I knew a guy who was a top chap, very friendly, ran the local game club. Notorious for long turns, I'd never played him but wanted to find out for myself.

1500 pts. I had a horde guard force. He had a pair of raiders with Terminators, Tigurius in one, Stormraven gunship in reserve. It meant on turn 1 he had like 2 land raiders on the board.

I timed his movement phases secretly.

35 minutes. Two models. The amount of deliberation over cover etc, when I made it clear I ignored cover with orders. Shooting phase - 25 minutes, for like 4 lascannons.

My total turn 1 with horde guard? About 20-30 mins?

Was absolutely ridiculous. We finished bottom of turn 2 as he just took so long! I managed to explain the issue to him over a beer afterwards and he couldn't believe how long he was taking, even with me trying to chivvy him along. Timed turns are where its at, with flexibility in friendly games if you have complex combats or whatever.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I have a checklist of red flags when I look at tournament postings and it's staggering how few pass my abysmally low bar of timed turns, no kill points, no end of game objective grabs.

Atleast the obsession with Kill Points I can sort of understand as in ye olden days "just kill the other guy" was more or less the only form of game anyone bothered playing, but drat.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I have never played in an event with timed Turns. I also play slowly, maybe this would be a way to teach me how to play faster. How do you guys do it? For shooty armies it makes sense to start long and get faster but I play a lot of assault, so my middle turns take way longer (and I have been assaulting turn two most of the time now).

Maybe you just cut the time in half and start/stop like chess? Less simple than "Player Turn 1- 30min!" but might be necessary for adaptability?

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
So when is chaos slated for a new codex ?

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
Here's a related question - how much time do you guys normally have for your rounds? I do two and a half hour rounds, with some flex built in if we absolutely need it for after time is called. This leads to longer days, but rarely do we need the extra time. One of the other TOs does two hours a round, which I find very frustrating - that extra half hour really does mean a lot in my book. On the other hand, we start later and wrap earlier.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So Im in another tourney today. Just crushed my buddy in hilarious fashion (I felt bad for him)

He null deployed with his x2 Nemesis Strike Force of 4 Dreadknights, x2 Librarian, x2 Terminator and made me go first. So I turtled up and cast a couple blessings and awaited the Alpha strike.

He rolled pretty poorly and on turn 1 two Dreadknights came in but only forced my Tantalus to jink and stripped a gun.

Turn 2 I killed both Dreadknights. On his turn 2 he brought in one Dreadknight and one Termie/Librarian squad.
The Termies scattered 11 inches on top of his Dreadknight then promptly died as they mishapped right into it at terminal velocity. He forced a Hornet to jink and then I gunned him down.

Turn 3 he failed to bring in his final two units, and i bought him a shot at the bar next door :(

Waiting for game 3 and getting drunk as we speak

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I have never played in an event with timed Turns. I also play slowly, maybe this would be a way to teach me how to play faster. How do you guys do it? For shooty armies it makes sense to start long and get faster but I play a lot of assault, so my middle turns take way longer (and I have been assaulting turn two most of the time now).

Maybe you just cut the time in half and start/stop like chess? Less simple than "Player Turn 1- 30min!" but might be necessary for adaptability?

Warmachine has timed turns and it's a meaningful part of what makes the game work in competitive play. (There are lots and lots of other parts too, but times turns matters.) There are generally three formats, and in all three, only judges can pause the clocks and if you're seriously exploiting timers you can get warned and/or disqualified.

1) "Classic" Timed Turns with dice-down tiebreakers: The round lasts a random amount of time, between 70 and 90 minutes IIRC. (I don't play this format much and when I do my games always end long before the round does.) Players alternate taking turns (say, ten minute turns) and each player gets a single two-minute extension once per game. If a turn timer ends, the turn ends immediately; if the round ends before the game is over, there are a bunch of tiebreakers like Control Points, models in the zone, etc. This wouldn't work as well in 40k because of the Assault Phase, but whatever.

2) Deathclock: Chess clocks with a set amount of time (say, 60 minutes per player). If your clock runs out of time, you lose.

3) Hardcore: Similar to #1, but with such a small amount of time that even the fastest players will struggle to activate everything. Think five-minute turns for an 1750-point 40k game.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
I think I just finished my Ork army and it feels really weird. I just put the sealer on a Trukk and decided to look at my lists to see what to paint next. But then I realized that I can easily field a 2500+ point army no sweat. I hardly ever play above 1850 anyway.

It feels strange, like finishing the last book of a great series. Maybe I'll do some local commission work to keep my brush sharp until the next Ork codex drops in a few years. Anyone else get this way when you finally finish that last model for your army?

Mad Dok Grotsnik 1
Painboy 1
Big Mek w/ SAG 3
Big Mek 1
Weirdboy 1
Boss Klaw 1
Boss Mega Armor 1
Mek 3
Zagstruk 1

Boyz 80
Boyz w/ big shoota 9
Grots 31
Runtherd 2

MANz 10
Tankbustas 21
Nobz 11

Deff Koptas 10
Buggies 5
Dakkajets 3
Bomma 1
Burna Bomma 1
Trukks 6
Stormboyz 5

Battle Wagons 3
Lootas 18
Kans 3
Kannons 10

ADL 1

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
My WA group only plays 40k in 'Iron Man' mode. After you loose a model, you put it on the garage floor and smash it with a claw hammer. Sure it can slow down the pace, but it does make your game much more meaningful.

Mango Polo posted:

CSM 8th edition: Strength D weapons on sonic weapons! Inferno rounds are D! The D is everywhere! No legions.
A month later, SM 8th edition: Introducing Strength Double D, and D-Resistant Armor. Rules for every chapter.

This is a good post- both accurate and representative of what will happen

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 22, 2015

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

CyberLord XP posted:

It feels strange, like finishing the last book of a great series. Maybe I'll do some local commission work to keep my brush sharp until the next Ork codex drops in a few years. Anyone else get this way when you finally finish that last model for your army?

If you want to improve as a painter, try painting stuff from other armies, or other systems - the different ascetics will challenge you to change your techniques and make you a better painter !

Try Neverborn from malifeaux for spooky ghosts, or get a 'Dire Foes' pack for infinity for totally different looks :)

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Infinity's aesthetics, but they have a ton of little details that are fun to work with. Paint non-heroic scale models is interesting. Tiny, tiny hands.

You can also have a full size army of, like, ten models, so that's nice.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Aesthetically I love it, but I have 200pts of Alpeh I've not built because I hate working with metal.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

Aesthetically I love it, but I have 200pts of Alpeh I've not built because I hate working with metal.

Same here, probably 300pts of Haqq. I've painted the first 75pts or so but the models are so drat fiddly I don't want to do the rest.

Paper thin 2mm long shoulder vents? Better make them a separate piece!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

WhiteOutMouse posted:

The problem with timed turns in 40k is that you're not the only person acting in your turn. Your opponent is rolling saves, overwatch, leadership tests, moving models, etc. Too much for a chess clock to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I ended up winning that tournament today with a clean sweep. If anyone's interested I can post some pics and a write-up later tonight. It's worth noting, however, that a jetbike Farseer, with a jetbike Warlock, in a squad of heavy weapon jetbikes is incredible. If you can roll Protect/Jinx... oh man. It's basically a really fast terminator squad for like half the points.

• Locked thread