Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Miguel Prado posted:

Hell yeah gently caress nazis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Moose-Alini posted:

Isn’t the cannon that if you die and come back to life you become a perpetual?

Not necessarily. It depends on how you are brought back. There are several people in the lore that did become perpetual as a result of being resurrected. It can also be taken back as in the case of John Grammaticus who is no longer a perpetual and is on his last life.

the panacea posted:

Not sure if that's been really nailed down.
Are the saints that are popping up now perpetually too then? My guess is no

Saints are on a case by case and resurrection by resurrection basis. Celestine (at least so far) is going to come back every single time, provided she passes her trial in the warp that is portrayed in her book. Other saints are only brought back once, some never.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
A bunch of them are prolly imperial demons.

But hey that's just a theory A 40K THEORY!

also, heard the dude that runs that channel is having health problems, sending them all my warp energy.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

a guy showed up to a Spanish 40K tournament wearing fascist poo poo including literal swastikas and calling himself Austrian Painter.

Not only was he not kicked out immediately, the tournament organisers ignored all complaints and awarded the nazi full points for any game where his opponent refused to play him.

quote:

Deplatforming nazis works. Keeping our spaces and communities safe works. GW and other model companies should get their hands into this, because organisers won't, and this is (to my knowledge) the biggest 40k event in Spain with 700 players. It's your IP what's at stake, not ours.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

MariusLecter posted:

A bunch of them are prolly imperial demons.

But hey that's just a theory A 40K THEORY!

also, heard the dude that runs that channel is having health problems, sending them all my warp energy.

The nascent imperial demons is probably the best read on it currently with what we know. Or that are imperial psykers or whatever the various schools of psykers are in 40k. Pre psychic awakening the saints were a big "hrmmmm" point for a lot of people.

Really though, I think GW is going to go with "Human kind interacts very weirdly with the warp in comparison to other races" which there is a absolute poo poo ton of evidence for, and perepetuals and saints are a consequence of that.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 20, 2021

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Broken Record Talk posted:

Pretty sure it's also now been established that they've all got a limited number of deaths in them. SoT spoilers: Malcador doesn't just crumble into dust on the Golden Throne because of the weight of the burden; it's also because Magnus already killed him the final time in the lake beneath the dungeons of the Imperial Palace and he's living on the borrowed last life of another Perpetual, so when the Golden Throne finally kills him, he's basically at negative lives left and *POOF*. Assuming I read that all correctly, of course.

Woah where was this

May have flown right past it if it was mortis

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Telsa Cola posted:

The nascent imperial demons is probably the best read on it currently with what we know. Or that are imperial psykers or whatever the various schools of psykers are in 40k. Pre psychic awakening the saints were a big "hrmmmm" point for a lot of people.

Really though, I think GW is going to go with "Human kind interacts very weirdly with the warp in comparison to other races" which there is a absolute poo poo ton of evidence for, and perepetuals and saints are a consequence of that.

I am legit excited to see how Imperial warp-creatures get developed in the future. I love any excuse to add crazier poo poo to the setting.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Waroduce posted:

Woah where was this

It's a somewhat suspect reading because it has a lot of relatively heavy implications and I haven't really seen it discussed anywhere else.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

AnEdgelord posted:

There seems to be some misunderstanding here. It is important to call out people like the Spanish Nazi whenever possible and that is exactly what GW did here but there is a material difference between him and a guy like Arch. Arch isn't just a person, he is a media brand that thrives off of engagement. GW has already stripped his ability to use the 'Warhammer' name in his usernames but after that acknowledging him at all is just free advertising for his media brand.
Exactly. At this point GW have made their stance clear on him so now any time they say "gently caress nazis" him and his fans know who GW are talking about.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

I am legit excited to see how Imperial warp-creatures get developed in the future. I love any excuse to add crazier poo poo to the setting.

Oh yeah, its pretty neat.

Another example is that weird demon of the greater good that forms.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Waroduce posted:

Woah where was this

Fury of Magnus, which is worth reading, but Sons of the Selenar sucks poo poo (although it is the pre-origin story for the primaris).

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

D-Pad posted:

Fury of Magnus, which is worth reading, but Sons of the Selenar sucks poo poo (although it is the pre-origin story for the primaris).

Ah I think I skipped that.

I tolerated son's of the selenar for the cool moon scenes and interesting tidbits about what Luna was like and the Big E doing stuff up there but it was absolutely window dressing and didn't really move a thing along and most of the book was terribly boring for a few nuggets of interest.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

In Talon of Horus, the Black Legion meet a sentient warp representation of the Astronomican, which is essentially a Greater Daemon of The Emperor

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

In Talon of Horus, the Black Legion meet a sentient warp representation of the Astronomican, which is essentially a Greater Daemon of The Emperor

That was such a good scene

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah that was one of my favorite scenes in all of Warhammer. He's at the boundary between the eye and where the astronomicon touches too so he is basically like a ferryman into/out of hell.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Telsa Cola posted:

Another example is that weird demon of the greater good that forms.

I just looked this up. I haven’t read War of Secrets and didn’t hear about this, but it’s cool as hell. I’m all, but Tau can’t make chaos gods! Oooooooh….

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Moose-Alini posted:

I just looked this up. I haven’t read War of Secrets and didn’t hear about this, but it’s cool as hell. I’m all, but Tau can’t make chaos gods! Oooooooh….

Unfortunately, it is a Phil Kelly book and thus stupid

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/21/dragons-outcasts-petite-knights-and-a-cave-troll-in-this-massive-sunday-preview/

Collector Edition hunters should keep an eye on the store next weekend because they're releasing a pretty slick looking special edition for the Forges of Mars series.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/21/dragons-outcasts-petite-knights-and-a-cave-troll-in-this-massive-sunday-preview/

Collector Edition hunters should keep an eye on the store next weekend because they're releasing a pretty slick looking special edition for the Forges of Mars series.

Those look sick. Maybe this means BL will give the green light to a sequel... :(

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Well Wolftime is the best of the Dawn of Fire books but talk about a low bar. Angsty Logan Grimnar has to be the worst version of Logan ever put on page so I guess it's got that going for it in a C.S. Goto Achievement award sort of way.

Edit:

This on the other hand sounds amazing. Time to pick this up and wash the foul taste of Logan Caulfield out of my brain.

orphean fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 22, 2021

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

orphean posted:

This on the other hand sounds amazing. Time to pick this up and wash the foul taste of Logan Caulfield out of my brain.

I actually got it wrong, that happens in Black Legion, but that's the sequel to Talon of Horus so you should read Talon first anyway

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

I actually got it wrong, that happens in Black Legion, but that's the sequel to Talon of Horus so you should read Talon first anyway

Just read Talon earlier this month, it does happen there, you were right.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Just read Talon earlier this month, it does happen there, you were right.

I'm getting my Extremely Dangerous Warp Journeys mixed up

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I still love show they reacted to the current stat of the imperium.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Azubah posted:

I still love show they reacted to the current stat of the imperium.

"Lorgar won!" (almost literally dies on laughter unable to breathe)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Dog_Meat posted:

"Lorgar won!" (almost literally dies on laughter unable to breathe)

Telemachon laughing til he vomited blood was pretty great

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The Black Legion books actually give the Black Legion character, they own and I can't wait for the third. I'm also really excited for David Guymer to complete his Iron Hands trilogy. He might not be a ADB level author but he really gets what actually makes the IH interesting and what sets them apart.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Was the Black Legion author the one that kept making Twitter posts about how all the characters are going to die horribly and see their dreams fall to ruin because they were Chaos dogs or was that someone else.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Was the Black Legion author the one that kept making Twitter posts about how all the characters are going to die horribly and see their dreams fall to ruin because they were Chaos dogs or was that someone else.

That doesn't sound like ADB, he has a lot of affection for his characters even if (especially if?) they're doomed. All of his books seem to start with the premise "okay how do I make this faction cool as gently caress"

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It's 40k, everybody is going to die horribly and see their dreams fall to ruin.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

That doesn't sound like ADB, he has a lot of affection for his characters even if (especially if?) they're doomed. All of his books seem to start with the premise "okay how do I make this faction cool as gently caress"

Night Lords are the angsty, 15 yearold's idea of 'bad rear end' with cringe-worthy skull and lightning motifs with bat wings on their helmets, a primarch who is basically murder-god Batman and they run round playing halloween in the battlefield. Yet somehow ADB made a triology out of them and it's one of the greatest pieces of 40k literature with fully realised characters to the point where you forget you're literally cheering on the inhuman monsters that skin children alive...

World Eaters were "the angry beserkers" with a primarch called Angry who charged blindly at anything with their swords. ADB somehow turned them from silly story to tragic pathos and made a half-lobotomised, murder-slave, rampaging, frothing madman one of the better characters in the series.

He's a goddam genius

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

He is actively working on the 3rd one and has been for a while I believe. Probably get it next year sometime.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Dog_Meat posted:

World Eaters were "the angry beserkers" with a primarch called Angry who charged blindly at anything with their swords. ADB somehow turned them from silly story to tragic pathos and made a half-lobotomised, murder-slave, rampaging, frothing madman one of the better characters in the series.
Not ADB, but I loved in Warhawk when Kharn is fighting Sigismund and he realises what the Imperium is going to be like because of the Heresy, so he decides he has to kill Sigismund to save humanity. He then fails completely.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the thing is the alternative Kharn is offering is like the one conceivable worse fate. One thing that continually makes Chaos characters’ judgments of the Imperium fall flat is that their proposed alternative is “turn the human race into living marionettes and subject them to eternal torture at the hands of sadistic puppeteers”

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the thing is the alternative Kharn is offering is like the one conceivable worse fate. One thing that continually makes Chaos characters’ judgments of the Imperium fall flat is that their proposed alternative is “turn the human race into living marionettes and subject them to eternal torture at the hands of sadistic puppeteers”

To go back to the fire and shadows on a cave wall analogy people were posting before, their alternative is giving the marionette strings to the fire itself as they fall back into the flames.

What if everything on fire? - Yes.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Speaking of the Chaos characters missing the point, I like that Miss Astarte or Edra or whoever (latest book spoiler) was chatting with our boy Erebus in the desert and he was like I can make you a god like Horus and she was like LOL you're literally getting high on your own farts, thats all chaos is.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Warhawk absolutely has some awesome back and forth on the nature of Chaos and its worshipers.

The fight between Kharn and Sigismund, presented through Kharn's eyes was absolutely masterful. Seeing Kharn go "Oh, poo poo, you're loving NUTS dude! was one of my favorite moments in the series as a whole. Arida's "stupid child, you're huffing your own farts and trying to brag about how smart you are" comment to Eribus was an :iceburn: :master: Majorly disappointed that she's now dead, especially that she seemingly served almost no purpose in the overall plot.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Broken Record Talk posted:

Warhawk absolutely has some awesome back and forth on the nature of Chaos and its worshipers.

The fight between Kharn and Sigismund, presented through Kharn's eyes was absolutely masterful. Seeing Kharn go "Oh, poo poo, you're loving NUTS dude! was one of my favorite moments in the series as a whole. Arida's "stupid child, you're huffing your own farts and trying to brag about how smart you are" comment to Eribus was an :iceburn: :master: Majorly disappointed that she's now dead, especially that she seemingly served almost no purpose in the overall plot.

I mean. Uh. You remember why Erebus came to visit her right?

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

I just finished plowing through both of them. I loved the scene near the end of the second book where Khayon just straight up asks “so you’re Horus, right bro?” And Zeke’s reply of “does it matter in the slightest?” :discourse:

That was the perfect antidote to Wolftime, can’t believe I hadn’t read them yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

orphean posted:

I just finished plowing through both of them. I loved the scene near the end of the second book where Khayon just straight up asks “so you’re Horus, right bro?” And Zeke’s reply of “does it matter in the slightest?” :discourse:

That was the perfect antidote to Wolftime, can’t believe I hadn’t read them yet.

Easy Kyle being an rear end in a top hat and utterly refusing to give straight answers to the answer collectors is always hilarious.