Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Guinness posted:

Hilarious that you found this thread to ask in, but seriousanswer your credit union is likely part of the Co-Op network and you can withdraw from any Co-Op network ATM or even walk into any Co-Op network CU branch and use it as if it were your own for ordinary checking/savings account stuff. The Co-Op network is huge and nationwide.

https://co-opcreditunions.org/locator/

I kind of doubt they will be helpful for multi- thousand dollar transactions. Co-op is okayish for making deposits but they likely have a withdrawal limit as they can't verify your account at a moment's notice. What you need.is a bank with a national banking charter so it isn't split up into separate banks by state. Bank of America is a real pain in the rear end in that regard.

It depends on where you are going to be. Is it really all of the contiguous 48 or are there a set of states where you normally tend to go? That could narrow it down significantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Cant you just call your bank and say I'd like to up my withdrawal limit for the day to whatever?

I've definitely done that when I needed to pay some security deposits and whatnot.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Thanks for the link for the Co-op thing

Teeter posted:

The Newbie Personal Finance Thread has been pretty great to me for any general banking questions along these lines. That said, while you're here in this thread you may as well stick around and tell us more about all these vehicles you've been purchasing...

Its simple, buy a car from somewhere they don't salt from someone who wants to get rid of it quick, put 30-50k on it and sell it a year later. If you pick up something for under 2k that needs something stupid fixed you can put on the miles for the cost of oil changes and gas. As for motorcycles, you can always use more motorcycles.

edit: I get sent all over the country, mostly the southwest and new england lately but its kinda random.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

omnibobb posted:

Cant you just call your bank and say I'd like to up my withdrawal limit for the day to whatever?

I've definitely done that when I needed to pay some security deposits and whatnot.

Yes, I've done exactly that with my credit union and pulled it out of an ATM.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Motronic posted:

The loan disclosure was very clear...listed the exact amount of interest as well as totaling the entire vehicle price with interest if I were to pay the loan for the full term.

I came back later, I signed a stack of paper which all had the exact same numbers on it.... freshly detailed car and I drove off.

You didn't have to negotiate for this. Anyone in the US offering credit is obligated by law to do all of this besides washing the car. If a dealership does this, it doesn't necessarily mean they're great and boy you sure twisted their arms. They're not obligated to state on the first page about early repayment penalty, it's just a good business practice. If there is no ERP, it makes the loan more attractive to state that on the first page. Unless you had to negotiate to remove an ERP, it has nothing to do with your consumer savvy, it's part of their standard disclosure. I'm going to go on record and say I sincerely doubt they redrafted their disclosure when you walked in and they saw your poo poo was so tight.

Granted, it never hurts for people to know what the hell they're talking about when they go buy a car, but this dealership probably didn't suddenly start following the law just because you played hardball.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Motronic posted:

I'm not sure every dealership is as bad as you think it is. I mean, I literally just bought a car for my wife today.......I drive junk, but I like her in nice stuff because i travel a lot and she's got most of the kid hauling duties. Also because she puts up with me so she has to have something nice in her life. ("it's making this noise" "Drop it as the dealership valet, have them give you a loner" is frankly worth it to me, even though I'm someone who does all of my own work normally)

I saw a nice 4 year old car that she test drove and loved on Saturday (amongst about 6 others at various dealerships). I let her sleep on it, and it stuck. Okay, great. I go back to this dealership that I've never done business with before this morning. I tell them they want too much, I checked out what these are going for CPO, etc. I was asked if I wanted to make an offer and I said "no, come back to me with one, you have the same or better information than I do, and I need to know your fees." I was told fees are $300. I said we're only negotiating an out the door price, bring it back. He does. It's good. I get another grand off plus 2017 map updates, we shake hands, and then discuss financing or not. I ask him to give me a rate. We do a credit app and the money is so drat cheap I financed almost 2/3s of it. The loan disclosure was very clear, specified no prepayment penalty and listed the exact amount of interest as well as totaling the entire vehicle price with interest if I were to pay the loan for the full term. I said "do it", I'll be back later.

I came back later, I signed a stack of paper which all had the exact same numbers on it. The put a license plate on my now freshly detailed car and I drove off.

The moral of this story just might be: don't come in shopping like a sucker and you won't be treated like one.

This is a whole lotta smug from someone that has to finance a four year old car. GWM is paying cash for depreciating assets.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

n8r posted:

This is a whole lotta smug from someone that has to finance a four year old car. GWM is paying cash for depreciating assets.

Why? You can get below 3 APR on auto loans (in the US at least) and invest that cash instead as long as you can handle the risk.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
1.8% on my 3 year old vehicle loan - 60 month term. I put zero down. 18 months in and KBB says I'm $200 under water still. Wouldn't have it any other way.

I only play hardball at dealerships to stop the the BS early, however.

Edit: So that's probably around 2.1% at today's rates? Would do it again.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NancyPants posted:

You didn't have to negotiate for this.

I wasn't suggesting that I was "playing hardball" or thought I had to "negotiate" for them to follow the fair credit reporting act. This was an illustration of how not horrible the process can be, and has been in my experience. Multiple times. In response to a post saying how fairness and transparency couldn't be a component of a successful dealership model.

n8r posted:

I in fact do not "need" to finance a 4 year old car. I make enough total compensation that it is literally cheaper for me to pay interest rather than realize any more capital gains this year. It's March and my total tax bill is already drat near 6 figures. I literally handed them a check for like $20k, which didn't require me to even move funds around, and told them to put the other $30k into financing if they could give me under 2.25% and they gladly did.

Is that smug enough for you?

GWM is knowing that even though you can write a check for an $85,000 vehicle, as well as properly afford one, you find one that someone already ate nearly 1/2 of the depreciation on, looks new, is still under warranty and then ask your CPA how best to pay for it in your particular financial situation.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 7, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Motronic posted:

I wasn't suggesting that I was "playing hardball" or thought I had to "negotiate" for them to follow the fair credit reporting act. This was an illustration of how not horrible the process can be, and has been in my experience. Multiple times. In response to a post saying how fairness and transparency couldn't be a component of a successful dealership model.

I in fact do not "need" to finance a 4 year old car. I make enough total compensation that it is literally cheaper for me to pay interest rather than realize any more capital gains this year. It's March and my total tax bill is already drat near 6 figures. I literally handed them a check for like $20k, which didn't require me to even move funds around, and told them to put the other $30k into financing if they could give me under 2.25% and they gladly did.

Yeah. Buying something on finance isn't BWM, per se. It depends on the situation and can actually be GWM if you can afford it and you plan it carefully.

I once bought a washing machine on finance instead of cash, even though I had enough cash in hand: it was an interest-free deal (as long as you never missed a payment) and I was confident that I would be able to make the payments: so I used the money to pay off a credit card instead. It actually made a decent chunk of change.

Even now, my insurance policies (car/house/life) are paid monthly instead of a lump sum upfront. The difference in cost is negligible (I think it's about £2 per policy per year) and it helps my credit score to the point where I financially benefit from that.

spog fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 7, 2017

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Motronic posted:

My question wasn't really why are car dealerships horrible or why don't people care about shady car dealerships. What I meant was, are underhanded practices a necessary component of the model--did they have to screw over the next little old lady who came in because their margins weren't high enough on your purchase? If they are, does that mean you can't profitably run an honest car dealership (I put it in quotes last time because I think working as an agent for an auto manufacturer adds external pressures which lead to conflicting priorities for an ethical business so I was imagining something similar to a dealership), and if they aren't, does that mean Americans are happy enough for other people to get screwed over if they can pretend those people somehow deserved it?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

FrozenVent posted:

Home made pulled pork is less than a buck a meal :negative:

And delicious to boot. (guess what I ate last night)

e: NEVERMIND I'm not going to start a car loan derail

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I don't have a great new story nor do I want to contribute to car dealer derail, but I just got word that my cousin has successfully crowdfunded the money from my family to get a loan on a new F-150 right before he goes delinquent on his student loans, business loan, and credit cards and ruins his credit.

This was the original story:

quote:

My cousin is hitting up people in the family for money because they need to repay their small-business loan for a craft brewing company they started.

He quit his job serving, spent about 9k on equipment, and didn't realize that you need a license to sell alcohol. He gave up after discovering that.

They also got the loan online from Prosper.com, I don't know if that is an additional BWM factor or not, but I am immediately suspicious of any place that offers an online small business loan to my cousin.

The BWM cherry on top is that they need the family to help them pay this off because he has 35k in student loan debt from one semester of art school and he can't afford both debt payments, but needs to get a new truck before their reported income and credit score tanks.

That is the pitch to the family: "I am stupidly irresponsible and I need to be bailed out before my irresponsibility prevents me from doing something even more wildly irresponsible. Thanks, love you all."

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

greazeball posted:

My question wasn't really why are car dealerships horrible or why don't people care about shady car dealerships. What I meant was, are underhanded practices a necessary component of the model--did they have to screw over the next little old lady who came in because their margins weren't high enough on your purchase? If they are, does that mean you can't profitably run an honest car dealership (I put it in quotes last time because I think working as an agent for an auto manufacturer adds external pressures which lead to conflicting priorities for an ethical business so I was imagining something similar to a dealership), and if they aren't, does that mean Americans are happy enough for other people to get screwed over if they can pretend those people somehow deserved it?

The answer is they used to not need to screw over some customers to make ends meet, but did it anyway. Now they need to because customers are too educated about cars and margins are too low.

'This American Life' had an interesting series in a Chrysler car dealership. I don't recall them screwing anyone over on tape, but it offered some insight into how tough it is for dealerships today.

Of course 'screwing' the customer is subjective. The car price and loan could be completely fair, but then the customer walks out with an extended warranty they'll probably never use.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

Now they need to because customers are too educated about cars and margins are too low.

Lol@these big fat tears I am crying for them.

Really. They should just peddle that story and retrain to the tissue manufacturing business, all their troubles would be solved.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Motronic posted:

I get another grand off plus 2017 map updates, we shake hands, and then discuss financing or not.

Stuff like this is why car dealerships work the way they do. A self-described guy who owes six figgies in quarterly taxes bothers to mention inconsequential poo poo like map updates because the dealer made it sound like a great bonus that mattered. People loving love haggling for cars for some reason and think they got a great deal and have to brag about it.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

greazeball posted:

The capex on running a dealership is pretty bonkers; you need a lot big enough to house a bunch of new cars; sitting out in the open, plus inventorying enough cars optioned in such a way that when someone comes through the door to buy one, enough of the time it's sitting on the lot ready to go. You can only sell to customers who either have good enough credit or the cash on hand for your product; so basically those with good enough credit. There's very little you can do to differentiate yourself from your competitors except for having the exact car someone wants in stock when they show up. You need to eat fairly fixed monthly costs for sales staff, service and parts departments, and insurance. You need to inventory enough parts to run the parts and service departments in a timely manner. Your service department might be a differentiator if you're lucky, but the people buying the cars won't know that unless they're repeat customers.

So yeah, you could either educate your customers and try to build a loyal customer base of people who will pay you not amazing amounts of money for the difficult to inventory items you sell, OR you could wring every last cent out of the substantial proportion of people who are ignorant or lazy who wander through your door and are ready to be taken, but you can't do both of them at once because they're mutually exclusive.

So basically underhanded practices are the necessary default. But if you come in knowing the game, the good dealerships can switch out of them pretty quickly.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

7/10 good, but I think you can do better if you applied yourself.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
http://livingwage.mit.edu/

Interesting take on the income levels one would need in various different locations/situations to have a living wage. Not particularly BWM but helps put some of those "I make $750k/yr in the Bay Area and can't make ends meet" stories a bit more into perspective.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
BWM: Cosigning on a car loan for your deadbeat sister. https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5xxfpt/26_yrs_old_cosigned_a_car_loan_for_my_46_yr_old/

quote:

I'm still a little bit in shock after talking with the auto loan company, but I will try to explain my situation.

My sister, who has a great paying job, had terrible credit from mistakes she'd made in her marriage years previous. I agreed to co-sign for the car, and she agreed to make the payments every month.

I pulled my credit report today for the first time in awhile and found out that the car was charged off last year. I talked with the loan company and they agreed to settle on the loan - $4,016, and the title would be signed over. The rest of the difference would have to be reported as income on a 1099-C form for the year of 2017.

I have a few questions:
If I just let the company repossess the car (a.k.a give them her address), would my credit score take more of a hit than it already has?
If I pay the settlement price, can I get the title in my name even though I'm only a co-signer?
If you were in my situation, how would you handle this?

My sister has a good job but clearly no control over her spending, and hasn't paid on the car up to this point. I've given up on seeing any money from her on this deal - I'm just going to have to take it into my own hands. The worst part is that I'm 26 and have never had a mortgage or my own auto loan yet, and now my credit is in disrepair.

Please help, Reddit!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Letting family who are BWM make you BWM is BWM.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Barry posted:

Interesting take on the income levels one would need in various different locations/situations to have a living wage. Not particularly BWM but helps put some of those "I make $750k/yr in the Bay Area and can't make ends meet" stories a bit more into perspective.

The difference is less between bay area and where I live than I thought. Maybe we should consider moving hmm.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Least it seems like hes got his finances in order and realizes he needs to cut his sis off.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Inept posted:

Stuff like this is why car dealerships work the way they do. A self-described guy who owes six figgies in quarterly taxes bothers to mention inconsequential poo poo like map updates because the dealer made it sound like a great bonus that mattered. People loving love haggling for cars for some reason and think they got a great deal and have to brag about it.

I didn't say I got a "great deal". I said the deal was good. I'm the one who asked for the map updates. They had no idea how much they cost but were willing to throw parts/service under the bus to close the deal (it's about $200 retail, so I wasn't exactly taking a piece out of them).

I could have spent the next few hours or days negotiating over another grand (playing the walking away game), but I have better uses of my time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5xyyfg/i_am_a_full_time_ebay_seller_who_has_never_paid/ posted:

I am a full time eBay seller and have been for many years. I have yet to file taxes. ...... Should I go all the way back to 2011 when paypal first started submitting 1099s (where can I find them?)?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5xyyfg/i_am_a_full_time_ebay_seller_who_has_never_paid/

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

The capex on running a dealership is pretty bonkers; you need a lot big enough to house a bunch of new cars; sitting out in the open, plus inventorying enough cars optioned in such a way that when someone comes through the door to buy one, enough of the time it's sitting on the lot ready to go. You can only sell to customers who either have good enough credit or the cash on hand for your product; so basically those with good enough credit. There's very little you can do to differentiate yourself from your competitors except for having the exact car someone wants in stock when they show up. You need to eat fairly fixed monthly costs for sales staff, service and parts departments, and insurance. You need to inventory enough parts to run the parts and service departments in a timely manner. Your service department might be a differentiator if you're lucky, but the people buying the cars won't know that unless they're repeat customers.

So yeah, you could either educate your customers and try to build a loyal customer base of people who will pay you not amazing amounts of money for the difficult to inventory items you sell, OR you could wring every last cent out of the substantial proportion of people who are ignorant or lazy who wander through your door and are ready to be taken, but you can't do both of them at once because they're mutually exclusive.

So basically underhanded practices are the necessary default. But if you come in knowing the game, the good dealerships can switch out of them pretty quickly.

Having a huge huge inventory of cars on the lot isn't inherently necessary, but it certainly caters to the American instant-gratification gotta-have-it-now mentality. And now the industry is so entrenched in the mega-dealership model that everything is built to support it, too.

Having some demo models in inventory and then ordering most customer cars would lower the capex significantly, but might offer too many customers a chance to cool off and think over their purchase while it gets shipped.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 7, 2017

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Guinness posted:

Having a huge huge inventory of cars on the lot isn't inherently necessary, but it certainly caters to the American instant-gratification gotta-have-it-now mentality. And now the industry is so entrenched in the mega-dealership model that everything is built to support it, too.

Having some demo models in inventory and then ordering most customer cars would lower the capex significantly, but might offer too many customers a chance to cool off and think over their purchase while it gets shipped.

The sketchy nature of used car sales also means that there's no way in hell I'm signing for a car I haven't actually seen, based on a "representative" model. It makes sense for new, but most dealerships have a used component as well.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

Barry posted:

Also makes you realize how much being a single parent costs. The living wage jumps from just under $10 in my area for a single adult to over $20 for an adult with one child.

If you want to help people out of poverty, subsidized childcare is the way to go.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Guinness posted:

Yeah but that's kind of the point of everything I was describing: it's not strictly necessary from a fundamental business viability, but in the context of competition it becomes pretty much the only viable course.

You could order all customer cars or you can have a huge lot with the car a customer wants in stock on the lot. You can make some sales custom ordering, but you will lose some amount of sales to a competitor who has the car in stock that day.

You could operate transparently and offer generally favorable financing terms and prices and educate your customers, but only some of them will be loyal to you for doing so. The rest will go to your competitors, who will make more money off of them, ripping those customers off.

You could hire & train a bunch of educated salesmen who will know a lot about the product and can answer customers' questions factually and help them differentiate the cars you're selling from other makes. But they probably won't close as much as a slimy flim flam man, and can get up and leave taking their knowledge to other dealers in your geographic region.

etc etc etc

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
tldr; taking advantage of the ignorant? :capitalism:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

You could hire & train a bunch of educated salesmen who will know a lot about the product and can answer customers' questions factually and help them differentiate the cars you're selling from other makes. But they probably won't close as much as a slimy flim flam man, and can get up and leave taking their knowledge to other dealers in your geographic region.

Saturn, CarMax, CarSene (local chain to me) and others operate(d) on this model. CarMax is a 23 year old publicly traded company that appears successful, Saturn....well, we know that story but I'm unsure if it was the sales model that had them underperforming or the sweet sweet GM panel gap and chinzy interiors.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Motronic posted:

Saturn, CarMax, CarSene (local chain to me) and others operate(d) on this model. CarMax is a 23 year old publicly traded company that appears successful, Saturn....well, we know that story but I'm unsure if it was the sales model that had them underperforming or the sweet sweet GM panel gap and chinzy interiors.

Didn't Scion also have fixed pricing for a while?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

spog posted:

Yeah. Buying something on finance isn't BWM, per se. It depends on the situation and can actually be GWM if you can afford it and you plan it carefully.

I once bought a washing machine on finance instead of cash, even though I had enough cash in hand: it was an interest-free deal (as long as you never missed a payment) and I was confident that I would be able to make the payments: so I used the money to pay off a credit card instead. It actually made a decent chunk of change.

Even now, my insurance policies (car/house/life) are paid monthly instead of a lump sum upfront. The difference in cost is negligible (I think it's about £2 per policy per year) and it helps my credit score to the point where I financially benefit from that.

I didn't know monthly insurance affected your credit score. Is it just the frequency of payments?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

SquirrelFace posted:

Also makes you realize how much being a single parent costs. The living wage jumps from just under $10 in my area for a single adult to over $20 for an adult with one child.

If you want to help people out of poverty, subsidized childcare is the way to go.

It can start with something as simple as free breakfast. :)

(Link secretly explains why many people don't really want to help others out of poverty. :()

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Doc Hawkins posted:

It can start with something as simple as free breakfast. :)

(Link secretly explains why many people don't really want to help others out of poverty. :()

I don't understand why public schools don't universally distribute free breakfast / lunch to minors. I would gladly pay more property taxes to expand the existing programs, which apply only in very high poverty areas.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Twerk from Home posted:

I don't understand why public schools don't universally distribute free breakfast / lunch to minors. I would gladly pay more property taxes to expand the existing programs, which apply only in very high poverty areas.

UH BECAUSE THAT'S SOMETHING FAMILIES SHOULD PAY FOR THEMSELVES, BOOTSTRAPS, I DON'T PAY RELATIVELY LOW TAXES IN THE RICHEST SOCIETY IN THE HISTORY OF THE PLANET SO "URBAN" YOUTHS CAN EAT BEFORE THEY TRY TO LEARN :capitalism:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Don't they already? Schools all have reduced or free lunch programs. Although I'm not sure if that's even your property taxes in action, since I think federal funds are related to Title 1 schools.

The problem then is what those kids eat during weekends, holidays, and during the summer. There are some private programs that give needy kids backpacks full of food every Friday afternoon, but I've never seen anything official from schools.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Don't they already? Schools all have reduced or free lunch programs.

Lol not for long, that's one of the things the republicans are about to cut.

Also at my state level they're rolling it back separately from the national program, the news reported that 300,000 kids would no longer qualify, then immediately cut to the representative who's trying to do it saying "I've researched this carefully and determined that there would be no noticeable impact" :v:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Business, Finance, and Careers > Bad With Money - Wait this isn't DnD?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I didn't know monthly insurance affected your credit score. Is it just the frequency of payments?
It doesn't in America, but I have no idea how UK credit scores work.

Although people seem to think a lot of monthly bills count towards credit score when they don't, or only affect your credit if you're delinquent. I've seen several /r/personalfinance posts where people were claiming electric bills/cell phone bills/rent help you build credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

Don't they already? Schools all have reduced or free lunch programs. Although I'm not sure if that's even your property taxes in action, since I think federal funds are related to Title 1 schools.

An old high school friend is a single father, raising 4 elementary school aged children on a prison guard salary. Somehow he makes too much to qualify for even reduced cost school lunches.

BWM: Being a single parent to 4 children

• Locked thread