Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I've been on some sort of - dunno, weird body horror kinda kick lately? I've watched through the V/H/S series, the ABCs of death 1 and 2, and Antiviral - all movies I really dug.
Just finished up watching You're Next, and it was good but not really scratching that same itch.
Anything more kinda humorous and grotesque you guys would recommend?

Let me welcome you to the wonderful world of Cronenberg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Housebound was really really good, watch it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Sire Oblivion posted:

Housebound was really really good, watch it.

Yeah, I really recommend it too, great stuff. Love the musical score when things start getting really intense.

I just saw "What We Do In The Shadows" last night and that was great fun too, straight up comedy and not scary at all but a great time. It should be a viewing staple around Halloween everywhere in my opinion.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I've been on some sort of - dunno, weird body horror kinda kick lately? I've watched through the V/H/S series, the ABCs of death 1 and 2, and Antiviral - all movies I really dug.
Just finished up watching You're Next, and it was good but not really scratching that same itch.
Anything more kinda humorous and grotesque you guys would recommend?

Masters of Horror: Sick Girl is right up your alley. Or really anything by Lucky McKee.

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?
Anyone know if It Follows will be available on VOD or anything soon? I can't find it playing anywhere and I'm dying to see it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Mr. Boogie posted:

Anyone know if It Follows will be available on VOD or anything soon? I can't find it playing anywhere and I'm dying to see it.

VOD on March 27.

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?

morestuff posted:

VOD on March 27.

Thanks!

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

Kvlt! posted:

Have we talked about Pieces of Talent yet? Holy poo poo this movie blew me the gently caress away. Gorgeous cinematography, great plot, quality acting and some decent gore to boot. What did you guys think of it? I had a blast with it.

I felt the cinematography was all over the place. It certainly had some great shots but then it delved into typical bleach bypass color grading, some ugly as sin lighting and then back to some nice shots. The movie as a whole was "okay".

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
I don't know if it's been discussed here, but I just watched The Canal and that movie is preeeet-ty drat good. There's some hokey dialogue at some point but other than that it was well acted, the cinematography was good and some of the more unsettling moments actually got to me (which is fairly rare these days). Give it a go if you can get a copy.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Netflix has a bunch of Saw films up now.

Watched Saw for the first time and kind of hated it. I liked the twist, but felt the editing was annoying as hell.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Stephen King tweeted some good words about Crimson Peak:

"Was treated to a screening of Guillermo del Toro's new movie, CRIMSON PEAK, this weekend. Gorgeous and just loving terrifying.
It electrified me in the same way Sam Rami's EVIL DEAD electrified me when I saw it for the first time way back in the day."

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I love King as a person and like him as an author, but I really don't trust his taste in film.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't either, necessarily, but I also don't see a lot of ways that Crimson Peak doesn't completely own.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

moths posted:

I love King as a person and like him as an author, but I really don't trust his taste in film.

Look, the man knows a bad movie when he sees it. He made Maximum Overdrive.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Look, the man knows a bad movie when he sees it. He made Maximum Overdrive.

That film was actually mostly made by cocaine, which just happened to be in Stephen King in large quantities at the time.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Also, Maximum Overdrive is actually good. Stephen King has been involved in way worse productions while sober.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

K. Waste posted:

Also, Maximum Overdrive is actually good. Stephen King has been involved in way worse productions while sober.

Agreed how can you not love a movie that features death by vending machine.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
ABC's of Death 2 is actually good! Glad I gave it a chance after the first one sucked so hard. It's on Netflix so go see it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaz2k21 posted:

Agreed how can you not love a movie that features death by vending machine.

Everything fun in that movie is in the opening 10 minutes. The rest of the movie is just people standing around, and then the movie just ends with a text scrawl. It's awful.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Lurdiak posted:

Everything fun in that movie is in the opening 10 minutes. The rest of the movie is just people standing around, and then the movie just ends with a text scrawl. It's awful.

Nah, lots of stuff past those ten minutes is great. The movie is legit suspenseful and weirdly romantic, on top of being patently ridiculous. It fits perfectly alongside Creepshow.

EDIT: Also, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiZHNw1MtzI

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 17, 2015

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I have no idea how reliable bloodydisgusting.com is, but according to them It Follows will not be released on VOD on the 27th, but is instead going for a wide release. Kind of annoying, but hopefully this means I'll get a chance to see it in theaters.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I swear they've gone back and forth with that like 5 times.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ariza posted:

I have no idea how reliable bloodydisgusting.com is, but according to them It Follows will not be released on VOD on the 27th, but is instead going for a wide release. Kind of annoying, but hopefully this means I'll get a chance to see it in theaters.

They're playing the movie, along with bringing it's director to Denver's Alamo Drafthouse in a few weeks. If anyone wants to hop on that train.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I checked out The Canal and Honeymoon last night, I dug both flicks a lot. The former had some great tension and the latter I applaud for not giving us too much and being left in the dark.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
I found the girl in Honeymoon so insufferable that I gave up 15 min into it.

I might try again. I realize it's part of the plot but drat.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

schwenz posted:

I thought the couple in general were pretty insufferable for the first 15-25 minutes, but it's worth sticking with it.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

schwenz posted:

The whole lovey-dovey thing had me rolling my eyes to the back of my skull. Stick it out though. It's one of the better horrors in recent memory.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Does anyone have recommendations for some lesser-known found footage horror that I could get on iTunes? I really enjoyed As Above, So Below and the Taking of Deborah Logan, if that helps. I realize it's not exactly everyone's cup of tea but found footage is extremely my poo poo. Thanks in advance!

Parachute
May 18, 2003

A Spider Covets posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for some lesser-known found footage horror that I could get on iTunes? I really enjoyed As Above, So Below and the Taking of Deborah Logan, if that helps. I realize it's not exactly everyone's cup of tea but found footage is extremely my poo poo. Thanks in advance!

I was just going to throw out The Den as a suggestion, but I saw that it's like $15 on iTunes. I thought it was decent, but not "$15 to watch once" decent.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

A Spider Covets posted:

Like Parachute says, this poo poo's expensive as hell, but just throwing some out there:

Apollo 18, The Den, The Bay, The Tunnel (though it was released officially for free on Youtube), Apartment 143, Lake motherfucking Mungo

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I'm embarrassed but I've seen all of those haha. Maybe I should be keeping an eye out for Netflix's April releases?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

A Spider Covets posted:

I'm embarrassed but I've seen all of those haha. Maybe I should be keeping an eye out for Netflix's April releases?

Pretty much. There's so little out lately.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

A Spider Covets posted:

I'm not sure about them being available on iTunes but SMG has some excellent posts about FF films so check his post history in this thread.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Yaws posted:

I'm not sure about them being available on iTunes but SMG has some excellent posts about FF films so check his post history in this thread.

Dear God, what have you done?!?

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Yaws posted:

Ariza posted:

Dear God, what have you done?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuJnIJHgQ44

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Coincidentally, I've just watched my official 199th found footage movie.

I guess it's a question of the level of obscurity you're after, since you can get really ridiculous and experimental if you go down that path. AASB was released theatrically, after all.

But it's also a subgenre question, since both those films are highly polished pulp-horror narratives that use the diegetic camerawork more for its aesthetic qualities than as part of the narrative. They're like Exists, where there's little concern for "who recovered the footage?" and "who is editing this?"

There's also very little blurring of the lines between documentary and fiction either (as in Blair Witch, where you actually are watching unscripted footage of some surly college students hiking around).

Based on just overall similarity, I'd recommend checking out these:

Evidence (directed by Olatunde Osunsanmi, not to be confused with the other found footage Evidence)
The Borderlands aka Final Prayer
The Hunted
The Atticus Institute
Afflicted

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I think the only one of those I've seen is Afflicted, so I'll go on a hunt tonight and check them out. Thanks, noble CineD posters!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Which Evidence do you prefer, by the way. Always wanted to ask that.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Which Evidence do you prefer, by the way. Always wanted to ask that.

I appreciate the forest-set Evidence for its anarchic, kitchen sink approach. But Osunsanmi's Evidence is just downright flawless, and it's a shame that it's not better known. It blows other whodunnit slashers like Re-cut out of the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I appreciate the forest-set Evidence for its anarchic, kitchen sink approach. But Osunsanmi's Evidence is just downright flawless, and it's a shame that it's not better known. It blows other whodunnit slashers like Re-cut out of the water.

They really should've just come up with an alternate title. Osunsanmi's film is better though, but I wish all the cutbacks to the CSI room didn't look like so much like CSI.