Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
B then messes with A because B is like mutated A. I try to be a good teacher but it's not worth it when the student doesn't put forth effort and also I'm not a teacher and he's the one who wants to have a band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

On the note of possibly chaotic collab ideas, dudes who want to collab, any ideas? Random ones from me:

Throw together an original song of some type.

Pick individual tracks from a song for each of us and combine them for a cover.

A jazz/blues thing with our own solos.

Some ambient noisy thing where we pass along a track and layer it to death with delay and reverb.

I’m also interested in seeing what I can bring to another song so if you have an original that needs leads or some little accents that could work too.

:shrug: I’m bad at this lol

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I keep forgetting about it but I could totally give you guys base tracks to solo over, and I would love any tracks you guys have that I can practice solos on.

What style (black, old school death, iron maiden style power) would you guys like? It'll give me something to do later and I can throw it together pretty easily.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

canyoneer posted:

Lot of people ITT transitioning from Metal Uncle to Blues Dad

Blues dads don't give a poo poo about riffs though, they just want to wail in A all night.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Spanish Manlove posted:

I keep forgetting about it but I could totally give you guys base tracks to solo over, and I would love any tracks you guys have that I can practice solos on.

What style (black, old school death, iron maiden style power) would you guys like? It'll give me something to do later and I can throw it together pretty easily.
All black metal all the time

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I thought a blues/jazz jam might be a good way to start. I had basically the same ideas otherwise.

But, Spanish Manlove, some metal tracks sound cool too. It’s been ages since I tried anything remotely metal.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I’d be all for some standards; there’s plenty of tunes that do both. Twisted blues, Freddie Freeloader, straight no chaser, jump monk, west coast blues...

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Kilometers Davis posted:

On the note of possibly chaotic collab ideas, dudes who want to collab, any ideas? Random ones from me:

Throw together an original song of some type.

Pick individual tracks from a song for each of us and combine them for a cover.

A jazz/blues thing with our own solos.

Some ambient noisy thing where we pass along a track and layer it to death with delay and reverb.

I’m also interested in seeing what I can bring to another song so if you have an original that needs leads or some little accents that could work too.

I would love to do any / all of these things.

A probably stupid idea: Pick a tempo and a structure like ABACAB or whatever, then for each part, you do either the drums, bass, guitar or melody. So everyone starts with a different section, and does one of those things, then passes the part on to the next person, who fills in another layer, etc. then at the end you stick the sections together and laugh at how terrible it sounds as a song.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I bought the Yamaha FG800, god help me I went to Guitar Center because the other places in town didn't have it. I tuned it up and did the D chord a bit, now my fingertips hurt.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Acoustics have heavier strings than electrics so that's normal.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I bought the Yamaha FG800, god help me I went to Guitar Center because the other places in town didn't have it. I tuned it up and did the D chord a bit, now my fingertips hurt.

I have the 340 from the 80s. It’s a good instrument.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
Here's a stupid question. Let's say I want a JCM800-esque sound, but with a footswitchable clean, an effects loop, and at the very least a master volume (ability to lower power output or even an attenuator would be pretty great). What amp do I want? I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure this out.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Professor Science posted:

Here's a stupid question. Let's say I want a JCM800-esque sound, but with a footswitchable clean, an effects loop, and at the very least a master volume (ability to lower power output or even an attenuator would be pretty great). What amp do I want? I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure this out.

Marshall DSL? I don't have any firsthand experience with it but it seems to check all the boxes.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

JCM800 with an ABY switch that alternates signal chains from the high sensitivity input to the low sensitivity input.

Or a 6505+ or 5150iii

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

JCM800 with an ABY switch that alternates signal chains from the high sensitivity input to the low sensitivity input.

Or a 6505+ or 5150iii
huh there's a 5150iii 50W for sale near me, maybe I should try that out

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Any cheap acoustic hard case recommendations or should I just look for a used one?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Well, how cheap is cheap? An inexpensive new case is about $60 from a brand like Musicians Gear. Even though they're a budget brand, I've never had a bad experience with any of their products.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Chip McFuck posted:

Well, how cheap is cheap? An inexpensive new case is about $60 from a brand like Musicians Gear. Even though they're a budget brand, I've never had a bad experience with any of their products.

Ok, I'll take a look at Musicians Gear and also look in at the Music Go Round

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Friedman Runt-20. Exactly what you want, sounds more Marshall than a Marshall and has an amazing clean with three voices.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006

Southern Heel posted:

Friedman Runt-20. Exactly what you want, sounds more Marshall than a Marshall and has an amazing clean with three voices.
hmmmmm.... yeah, okay, I'm debating between the 50W 5150 III EL34 and a Runt (20? 50? idk. I like the additional clean EQ on the 50...) now. I think you're right that the Runt is more my thing, but we'll see.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've never had a 5150 amp but I found the pedal to be total full-bore all the time; the runt can go from Plexi to JCM800; in terms of 'extreme' it can go to thrash/NWOBHM with just a boost pretty easily but it's not a "high gain" amp.

IMO the foot switchable channels, separate master volumes, 3-band EQ, etc. etc. etc. all make it a really simple choice. As for 20w vs 50w I think the former would be plenty loud enough if you weren't expecting crystal cleans at max volume on the clean channel - the power amp will add a little sizzle once you're about halfway up. (which is loud as balls).

EDIT: I did consider a Mesa Mark V:25 and would probably consider it even more versatile, but I couldn't justify the cost at the time.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 22, 2018

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

It's my birthday tomorrow so I decided to treat myself and actually buy a guitar now that I feel it's something I can keep doing (I've been using cheap rentals up until now). I have a couple of questions about care.

First question is about humidity packs: The guy at the shop threw in a cheap old one pro-bono, the kind that you fill up with water now and then and leave it hanging between the strings. When exactly am I supposed to use this thing? My understanding is that they're supposed to be put in place if you plan to store your instrument for long periods, but this is the only guitar I have and it'll be taken out and used at least five days a week. Should I still "install" it whenever I put the guitar away every night?

Second, related question: Should I be putting this in the case every time I don't plan on using it for longer than a couple of hours? My dad only ever kept his on a stand and just used the case for travelling. It's a 30ish-year old Flambeau and it's in great condition, as far as I know.

For reference I live in the Vancouver area where humidity is high and temperature fairly mild year-round, but live in an air conditioned condo building that's pretty dry.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Kilometers Davis posted:

There’s good modern production but honestly there’s way too much time imo spent by artists on trying to get the best sound possible. There are quite a few 70s/80s albums that to my ears sound as good as it gets. Anything more seems like a distraction. I’m not against innovating and the advancement of technology but a lot of it seems to turn into it’s own specific hobby. Again, not a bad thing. Just needs to be realized for what it is.

One of my all time favourite tracks is son of alerik by deep purple, which was basically just a recorded instrumental improvised studio jam that Ritchie Blackmore wanted to draw out as much as possible to annoy some journalists who were waiting to interview them.

They only stopped because Ian Paice dropped a stick and you can hear him go arrrghh! on the recording.

It's just perfect.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

if you want something cheap a peavey windsor is a jcm800 clone with a master volume and effects loop

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006

Southern Heel posted:

I've never had a 5150 amp but I found the pedal to be total full-bore all the time; the runt can go from Plexi to JCM800; in terms of 'extreme' it can go to thrash/NWOBHM with just a boost pretty easily but it's not a "high gain" amp.

IMO the foot switchable channels, separate master volumes, 3-band EQ, etc. etc. etc. all make it a really simple choice. As for 20w vs 50w I think the former would be plenty loud enough if you weren't expecting crystal cleans at max volume on the clean channel - the power amp will add a little sizzle once you're about halfway up. (which is loud as balls).

EDIT: I did consider a Mesa Mark V:25 and would probably consider it even more versatile, but I couldn't justify the cost at the time.
I actually tried a Mesa TC-100 yesterday. Expensive, vastly more than I need, etc. It just didn't click with me; cleans sounded good, some of the crunch sounded good, but the higher gain sounds I didn't like at all. Might have been the cab, might have been that I was playing at low volume, might have been the guitar, might have been that I didn't know the right settings to use for the sounds I wanted, but ultimately I wasn't into it. I've never played a Mesa I really liked. Mark Vs don't really seem like my thing either (listened to a lot of clips and have some familiarity with a Mark IV).

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Mak0rz posted:

It's my birthday tomorrow so I decided to treat myself and actually buy a guitar now that I feel it's something I can keep doing (I've been using cheap rentals up until now). I have a couple of questions about care.

First question is about humidity packs: The guy at the shop threw in a cheap old one pro-bono, the kind that you fill up with water now and then and leave it hanging between the strings. When exactly am I supposed to use this thing? My understanding is that they're supposed to be put in place if you plan to store your instrument for long periods, but this is the only guitar I have and it'll be taken out and used at least five days a week. Should I still "install" it whenever I put the guitar away every night?

Second, related question: Should I be putting this in the case every time I don't plan on using it for longer than a couple of hours? My dad only ever kept his on a stand and just used the case for travelling. It's a 30ish-year old Flambeau and it's in great condition, as far as I know.

For reference I live in the Vancouver area where humidity is high and temperature fairly mild year-round, but live in an air conditioned condo building that's pretty dry.

I take it it's an acoustic?

You'll probably get to get a hygrometer so you know what you're dealing with. They're like 10 bucks. Guitars like it between 40-50% humidity but it's not really a risk to them unless it's super low all the time. More than 50% makes the instrument sound a little different but it's not as bad as it being dry. Given your area you might be to get away with just leaving it on the stand. It's not like if you hit a super dry day it'll snap in half.

I have one of those things too that I keep with it in the case but I'm probably going to get something like a dampit when I get it back from service.

Some guys, usually guys with lots of guitars mind, will humidify entire rooms if needed.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

skooma512 posted:

I take it it's an acoustic?

You'll probably get to get a hygrometer so you know what you're dealing with. They're like 10 bucks. Guitars like it between 40-50% humidity but it's not really a risk to them unless it's super low all the time. More than 50% makes the instrument sound a little different but it's not as bad as it being dry. Given your area you might be to get away with just leaving it on the stand. It's not like if you hit a super dry day it'll snap in half.

I have one of those things too that I keep with it in the case but I'm probably going to get something like a dampit when I get it back from service.

Some guys, usually guys with lots of guitars mind, will humidify entire rooms if needed.

Thanks. It's an acoustic, yeah. Right now I leave it in the case overnight or when I feel done with it and leave it out on the stand during the day so I can pick it up and practice or gently caress around when I feel like it.

The humidifier is in there (but just laying in the case instead of hanging from the strings). Would repeatedly taking it out of the case and putting it back like this cause any problems with the different humidity levels between the case/apartment, or are the levels and durations too low for it to even matter?

I have another question about the new guitar: I'm finding that it's much harder to play than the rental I was using for the past three months. It's mostly that I need to press way harder to get those strings to ring, especially on the first two frets. Does it have to be broken in or something?

This guitar is a Epiphone DR100 and the rental is a Epiphone Hummingbird Pro.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I actually tried a Mesa TC-100 yesterday. Expensive, vastly more than I need, etc. It just didn't click with me; cleans sounded good, some of the crunch sounded good, but the higher gain sounds I didn't like at all.

i don't get the point of the tc series

the gain channels sound like a boxier, less hairy rectifier. and it's not as versatile as the mark series, nor is it significantly cheaper. kind of an odd duck

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mak0rz posted:

I have another question about the new guitar: I'm finding that it's much harder to play than the rental I was using for the past three months. It's mostly that I need to press way harder to get those strings to ring, especially on the first two frets. Does it have to be broken in or something?

Check the action on both of them - if the string gap is bigger you'll have to press down more, applying more force just to reach the fretboard. Check it at the nut especially, if the slots aren't deep enough you'll have a really sharp angle at the lower frets

If they look pretty similar, maybe you have a heavier string gauge on your new one?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

baka kaba posted:

Check the action on both of them - if the string gap is bigger you'll have to press down more, applying more force just to reach the fretboard. Check it at the nut especially, if the slots aren't deep enough you'll have a really sharp angle at the lower frets

If they look pretty similar, maybe you have a heavier string gauge on your new one?

Measured both at the nut and on fret 12. Both guitars seem to have the same action. The strings don't look any thicker as far as I can tell either.

The new one is fresh out-of-box with the stock strings. I'm not entirely sure if the store set it up or not (guy just took it to the sales counter as I continued to look around the music store for other poo poo), but I suspect not as it was out of tune when I brought it home. What could anyone do to make it easier to play besides adjust the action, though?

On a related note, the low E string is kind of... I don't know, dull? It just sounds a bit muffled and doesn't ring out as long as any of the other strings when fretted, even compared to the low E on the other guitar.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Mak0rz posted:

On a related note, the low E string is kind of... I don't know, dull? It just sounds a bit muffled and doesn't ring out as long as any of the other strings when fretted, even compared to the low E on the other guitar.

Probably dead as a result of sitting on the store wall.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Anime Reference posted:

Probably dead as a result of sitting on the store wall.

It was in a case in the stock room. It was never on the wall.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
The strings go bad either way, it's just a result of being exposed to air.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
A set of strings is like 5 bucks every two months (depending on how much you play). There's no excuse other than laziness for having dead strings.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Looking to pickup a small/medium tube combo for practice at home and jamming with friends.

Everything I'm looking at is pretty much in the 15-20w range, and I've narrowed it down to:
Marshall Origin 20
Fender Bassbreaker 15
Marshal DSL20
Orange Rocker 15

The only one I've been able to test near me is the Orange, which I enjoyed. But, I haven't been able to test the others.
Anybody have any input (yuk yuk) on these amps?
I'm playing a G&L Doheny (similar to Jazzmaster) and I have lots of fuzz and OD pedals.
In my head, I want to be able to sound like Dinosaur Jr but occasionally I want to get as heavy as Converge or Kvelertak.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Mak0rz posted:

It was in a case in the stock room. It was never on the wall.

Basically, it's this. A new guitar has gone from factory to truck to warehouse to stockroom, probably with some repeat stages in there. In other words, it's never existed in a consistent, stable environment. In my experience, new guitars are more likely to need minor tweaks than used ones.

And remember that the strings have been through all that, too, and started out as the cheapest the company could get in bulk. Put a nicer set on there, at the very least so you know what conditions they've been exposed to, and see if it settles down after being in your living space for a while.

Odds are that it needs a truss rod tweak, but so does everything else this time of year. Just did one on the Les Paul a few minutes ago after changing strings yesterday. Exact same brand and gauge, truss rod still needed to be tweaked. That is the Way of Things.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Okay I love my bass breaker 15, but it really does have a effects loop hum, even after the fix.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mak0rz posted:

Measured both at the nut and on fret 12. Both guitars seem to have the same action. The strings don't look any thicker as far as I can tell either.

Well the difference between say 11s and 12s (which you'll be able to feel) is 1 thousandth of an inch for the thin string and 2 thousandths for the thick one, so I don't think you'll be eyeballing it :frogbon:

Sounds like you need some fresh strings on it anyway - probably the best thing you can do is take it to a decent store if you can, give it to someone who can measure the gauge or just feel out the tension, and say "this tension is too high and I want it to feel like this guitar" and let them tell you what string set you need

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 24, 2018

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Spanish Manlove posted:

A set of strings is like 5 bucks every two months (depending on how much you play). There's no excuse other than laziness for having dead strings.

I feel like not realizing a new guitar would need the strings replaced is a good excuse :v:

That's good to know, thanks. Should I take it back to the shop for a setup then? I get a free one with the purchase that's good for a year. Does a setup typically come with new strings too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I don't see any reason to wait to get it set up, unless you think you'll want to permanently change the tuning and get it adjusted for that. And a setup usually involves taking the strings off anyway, so they'll get replaced - it's up to them if they throw in a set of strings, but I doubt it to be honest. Plus if you supply your own you're getting what you know you like on there

That said it might be worth trying a few string gauges first before you commit to a setup, especially if you're not sure what you like on this guitar. Also I'm not totally sure what an acoustic setup usually involves, they're less adjustable than an electric - do they permanently mess with the bridge?