Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Why does it not bode well for the Mac Mini? A lot of people buy it to just plug it into a TV or whatever monitor they already have.

The price to performance ratio of the Mac Mini (and really all of the Macs right now) is really bad right now. No one who knows better is going to buy a Mac Mini. The system is badly in need of a refresh but it looks like Apple is phasing out most of their Macs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
As someone who was limping along with a dying early 2008 mbp (15 inch) for about 6 months, I think I have to bite the bullet and get this. The question is which.

I really like the idea of getting a dedicated GPU, but to be fair I stopped playing games around 2012 so I have no idea if that's really even a necessity anymore. The most I'd do is probably bootcamp to play fallout 4 since I liked 3 and it's set where I live. I'd prefer a 15 inch screen, but base $2400 + at least 1 USB adaptor seems comically high when I had set aside 2K for this upgrade.

I'm very torn on what to do now.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007
Any recommendations for a hub with Charging, display port or hdmi, and some usb a ports? The ones I've seen have very mixed reviews.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
As a postgraduate scientist, the current line-up seems just about right for me: real computation happens on powerful Linux machines (in the future potentially EC2 or Azure) you ssh into. You want a highly portable Mac notebook for preparing your conference talks in the airport and showing off the Mac swag to your colleagues during the actual presentation. My boss has a 11" air and a 27" iMac, and 90% of the time he'll use the Air even when at the office, and if I show up with a $2000 13" MBP, he'll have to get a $3000 15" MBP!

On the other hand, I can see how developers and creative people might feel disappointed. I hope they get back to sticking some recent processors into the trashcan and Mini soon.

I think for undergrads, the current line-up in the form of the Macbook is also decent.

For what it's worth, scientists also experience vendor lock; in part because the tenured guys all use Word on their Macs instead of something sensible, in part because all of the scientific software is Unix based and typically most polished on Mac and Linux. (I know only one serious scientific programmer who uses Windows, and I have no idea how he copes.)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Any recommendations for a hub with Charging, display port or hdmi, and some usb a ports? The ones I've seen have very mixed reviews.

Anker makes some great devices, generally very high quality. They came out of nowhere about 4 years ago but have become a top brand on amazon. I use this guy for charging my phone, but it also gives you 4 "standard" ports and 60w of power.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hadlock posted:

Anker makes some great devices, generally very high quality. They came out of nowhere about 4 years ago but have become a top brand on amazon. I use this guy for charging my phone, but it also gives you 4 "standard" ports and 60w of power.

Just so no one, gets confused: THIS IS A CHARGER ONLY NOT A HUB.

That being said, these kind of devices are awesome. Just make sure the power budget per port can meet your needs or you'll be disappointed.

According to their specs, it will deliver enough to charge the rMB @ 29W on the USB-C port, which matches the rMB power charger. The other ports look like they'll charge phones and tablets with no issue at the same time since they have a shared power budget of 31W.

Trying to charge a rMBP 13" seems like it would take along time since it comes bundled with a 61W charger. The 15" would be crazy long as it comes wth an 87W charger.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 29, 2016

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Hadlock posted:

But those USB A ports are just for charging other devices. We need that, but with data connections.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cingulate posted:

They have to always support some desktops for developers right? App Store sales are a significant revenue factor, and app quality is a significant factor in making their products available.

They sell a poo poo ton of iMacs. Mac Minis and Mac Pros are a very small part of their desktop sales.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Xcode is tolerable on 32gb. 16gb is a joke. OSX barely runs on 8gb.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

zergstain posted:

I'm going to guess that it has two controllers, one for the left and one for the right, and bandwidth is split between the pairs. The dGPU is almost certainly 8 lanes. That still leaves 4 for the SSD, which might come off the PCH. Either that, or lanes are dynamically reassigned when you plug stuff into the ports. If that's possible.

The 13" doesn't have a dGPU.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Christ, man, what are you doing? Xcode is just fine on 16GB. Well, okay, let me rephrase that - Xcode is a pile of poo poo and will crash on you and be completely stupid and unintuitive if you're used to literally any other IDE and the iPhone simulator sucks - but Xcode sucks just as much with 32GB of RAM as 16GB in my experience, unless you're doing something crazy to suck up all that RAM.

That being said, the Pro obviously needs a fairly-priced 32GB option, but Apple isn't being sane, so c'est la vie.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
There are no more minis.
There are no more pros.
There are no more iMacs.

If there were, they would have come out at the Hello, Again event because that's where they would have been announced.

Furthermore, if apple is getting out of the display game, they are getting out of the iMac game.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

rear end Catchcum posted:

Furthermore, if apple is getting out of the display game, they are getting out of the iMac game.

I feel like that's a pretty big logical jump to make. Apple will still be buying display panels for all its other devices. Just because they don't feel like competing with their own branded display doesn't mean they won't be making a desktop all-in-one.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Then where was it? When is it due for an upgrade?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Pivo posted:

Christ, man, what are you doing? Xcode is just fine on 16GB. Well, okay, let me rephrase that - Xcode is a pile of poo poo and will crash on you and be completely stupid and unintuitive if you're used to literally any other IDE and the iPhone simulator sucks - but Xcode sucks just as much with 32GB of RAM as 16GB in my experience, unless you're doing something crazy to suck up all that RAM.

That being said, the Pro obviously needs a fairly-priced 32GB option, but Apple isn't being sane, so c'est la vie.

I run Xcode on my 2011 MBP with 4GB of RAM and it is usable as long as I'm not trying to do other stuff too

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SaturdayKnight posted:

I feel like that's a pretty big logical jump to make. Apple will still be buying display panels for all its other devices. Just because they don't feel like competing with their own branded display doesn't mean they won't be making a desktop all-in-one.

Just ignore him. He's a low effort troll.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I'm actually quite serious about this but ok.

Maybe next event!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Heisenberg1276 posted:

I think this is the one everyone is getting: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FWT7MEA/

edit: or wait for this thing that costs more and looks purdy http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/10/28/13453274/arc-hub-bourge-design-usb-c-port-apple-macbook

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I mean, the event was called Hello, Again, which always displayed desktop computers. So, was this just purely a marketing oversight?

If they were going to refresh the Pro, this is where it should have happened, along with their Pro emoji laptops.

The mini and the iMac, this also would have been the spot. But they didn't. And with them showing that ugly loving lg display or whatever it was, I just don't see them doing another iMac. I don't see them not making their displays, which often look like iMacs, and not making the iMac. Not for any manufacturing purposes, I just mean that they usually like to keep things in line and uniform and looking the same. If they were going to refresh their computers, THIS would have been the event. Otherwise Hello, Again makes absolutely no sense.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

South Park is pretty accurate this season. Apple is using member berries such as "Hello, Again" and showing the PowerBook 150 as a way to divert attention and keep everyone calm. 'member that old macbook pro you loved in college? Well now the shiny small new one is out so treat yo self, bitches! They're selling products to all the kids who just got hired or promoted at SalesForce.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

bone app the teeth posted:

Xcode is tolerable on 32gb. 16gb is a joke. OSX barely runs on 8gb.

I'm running Sierra on a 4gb 2012 Air just fine. Smooth as butter. Xcode most certainly doesn't require 32gb. The biggest factor for Xcode compilation performance has always been hard drive speed and multithreaded compilation.

And NO. I am not running XCode on this Air. LOL.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

incoherent posted:

PS/2 is STILL a requirement for government contracted hardware.

This is from a couple of pages back, but it is just so blatantly wrong, I have to comment. I've been government contracting for 7+ years, and I've never once used any PS/2 device.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

SourKraut posted:

The 13" doesn't have a dGPU.

I was more responding to the second paragraph where they thought that like 36 lanes were in use on the 15". I think I might've phrased it poorly, so just to clarify, I meant each controller spits the 4 lanes between its 2 ports.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Didn't see this posted in the last couple of pages so forgive me if repost but:

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/28/new-macbook-pro-removable-ssd/

Apparently the 13" non-touch bar model has an SSD that's replaceable/upgradable – decent way to save a bit of money if you're so inclined.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

It could just be that whatever they planned for the new iMacs and minis just isn't ready yet, though I could see the mini going away. It seems to me now a days casual computer users don't want to "formally" sit at a desk and do computer stuff when they're at home. It feels too much like being at work. Probably because they're so used to internetting on their smart phones on the couch or where ever else strikes their fancy. Also, I'm sure most people just aren't needing to use regular computers as much due to smart phones and tablets. Even with myself, I have less and less need to use a computer at home every day.

Now on the other hand, people who do need a computer for heavy duty use, like developers, engineering students, and creative hobbyists/professionals, they're not going to go for the mini, at least as their main machine. It seems like the only people who want, want it for old ball uses.

For me, the iMac I just ordered is basically a fancy photo editing machine and once in awhile a gaming rig. I only use it for that and the odd home/school project every now and then. 80% of the time I'm using my iPad and iPhone.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I want a fancy portable that can handle FCPX, Photoshop, Lightroom and light AE. I use consoles for gaming. I really like the 13" form factor for laptops. I don't do 3D. My video projects are usually under 10 minutes but have a few layers of video/audio to them. I wonder if the integrated graphics would be enough for that level of work and to occasionally drive an external display.

Then again it's like a $600 difference for the spec 15" with the best dGPU compared to the i7 13" I'm looking at unless I go down to i5 on the 13".

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Housh posted:

I want a fancy portable that can handle FCPX, Photoshop, Lightroom and light AE
Why?

Why do you want an inherently small-screened machine to do these things?
Why does the machine that does these things need to be portable?

I mean, the event was called Hello, Again, which always displayed desktop computers. So, was this just purely a marketing oversight?
I think you're reading tea leaves here.

They probably simply haven't come up with the product they'd like to sell yet.

The riMac is a pretty mean machine, isn't it?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I also just feel like with the iPad Pro and how great their keyboard cover is we don't really need comps.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Can't do pro Tools on an iPad Pro

Ironically

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I also just feel like with the iPad Pro and how great their keyboard cover is we don't really need comps.

Can we stop pretending that typing emails or whatever is the only work we do on our computers? I mean it's a pretty annoying projection. iOS doesn't work for real work, it's too locked down for ease of use. I like it that way, we still need two operating systems imo.

and i think new iMacs are certainly coming but it's not time yet, the current gen is still really nice

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Cingulate posted:

Why?

Why do you want an inherently small-screened machine to do these things?
Why does the machine that does these things need to be portable?
Personal preference. I started editing on a 13" laptop and enjoyed the intimacy. I then used a 27" iMac for 6 years and still miss working off a dinky laptop. I will have a powerful desktop for more intensive tasks but I enjoy having a portable with me whenever inspiration hits because I do travel. I have never owned a 15" but these new ones seem a bit more portable. I can't wait until they are at Apple Stores because I want to test out the keyboard and see the size in person.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I'm not pretending it's just my opinion. OS X and file systems aren't necessary to me or a lot of people and I sincerely think apple is heading that way. Then they basically get people upgrading all their devices 1-2 years.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm not pretending it's just my opinion. OS X and file systems aren't necessary to me or a lot of people and I sincerely think apple is heading that way. Then they basically get people upgrading all their devices 1-2 years.

I think if this were true, apple would be doing it already. But they just made something else

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As far as I can tell, there's no incentive structure to get people to create actual pro apps for iPad Pro. The App Store is not geared around the 30 day trial, academic discount, hundreds or thousands of dollars purchase price model. Tim Cook's idea that nobody needs a PC any more is a complete fairy tale and it's pathetic.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's a "great" idea but at some point someone needs to write the apps for that and compiling stuff on an iPad is a laughable notion. Maybe they'll just shove all compiling into the cloud or something, but that means you need a connection that doesn't suck and that's still problematic in a lot of the US and other parts of the world.

Apple has been shoveling poo poo at it's high end users and telling them it's good for some time now.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

ethanol posted:

I think if this were true, apple would be doing it already. But they just made something else

They gave you one "new" thing (you're really counting a barely up spec'd mbp with a slapped on gimmick literally no one wanted a. Ew thing? Ok.) when they would usually have a line of new things.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

xgalaxy posted:

I'm running Sierra on a 4gb 2012 Air just fine.

Do you browse the internet with one browser window and no tabs or something? A hand full of tabs and you are paging to disk.

This is generally how my usage looks while not working. Not running Xcode right now either.

bone app the teeth fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 29, 2016

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

As far as I can tell, there's no incentive structure to get people to create actual pro apps for iPad Pro. The App Store is not geared around the 30 day trial, academic discount, hundreds or thousands of dollars purchase price model. Tim Cook's idea that nobody needs a PC any more is a complete fairy tale and it's pathetic.

I think it comes down to real work. People who need to do real professional/technical work will need computers for a long time into the future. However, I think people who just need computers for daily living aren't going to need much more than an iPad. This is pretty obvious when it comes to pro level apps, but its true for even office suite work. Like for example I'm fine with doing my personal budget on excel or google sheets on my iPad, but at work there are time I need to have 3 or 4 sheets open to compare data and copy and paste between them or start building charts for powerpoint. This is something that could be on an iPad/tablet but it is also going to very difficult. I don't think apple or anyone else is going to find a good way of doing something basic like that on a tablet.

Now as far as doing all the little personal day to day computer things, it's been great with the iPad. Paying bills, booking flights/vacations, filing taxes, printing out recipes (air printer), watching how to videos, shopping, and general internetting are preferable on the iPad. Also if I didn't care as much about my photography, the pro is a great casual editing machine and cloud storage of photos is getting good enough for the normal person. I don't really mess with videos much but it's also perfectly fine for editing a short videos for facebook and youtube. If it hasn't already happened for most people, it will eventually do all the things a person not doing real professional work will need.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

The iPad is the perfect replacement for those lovely netbooks people buy at best buy for $300 and browse their favorite social network. Unless your business workflow is a custom built app I don't see how you could glue together a bunch of productivity tools on a single-task device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

For what it's worth I do PDF markups and drawing redlines on an iPad Pro and it's great with the Apple pencil. It's definitely nice having it out in the field during construction instead of an unweieldly set of drawings or specs.