Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Barnsy posted:

It lands at running pace, so probably not a whole lot. It's more he needs a wide-rear end runway, that thing is as wide as a 747 and a hell of a lot flimsier.

He's in luck then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcI-pMC1ALA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The internet is telling me a 747 needs just shy of 10,000 ft to land a 747, yet Henderson Field @ Midway Island is only ~7,800 ft. Presumably during a a controlled landing with a healthy headwind the official minimum landing/takeoff number is a very padded safety number?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Hadlock posted:

The internet is telling me a 747 needs just shy of 10,000 ft to land a 747, yet Henderson Field @ Midway Island is only ~7,800 ft. Presumably during a a controlled landing with a healthy headwind the official minimum landing/takeoff number is a very padded safety number?

Midway's runway is the same size as Princess Juliana's at St Maarten (TNCM) and KLM operate 747-400s to there on regular services, so I'm guessing it's all down to weights and 10k feet is the MTOW requirement

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
What speed does it cruise at? There are possibly boats that could keep up with it in case he needs to ditch :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hadlock posted:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
So Topgun 2 is about drones. Sounds terrible.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2015/06/29/top-gun-sequel-tom-cruise-drones-david-ellison/29457073/

quote:

op Gun's Maverick is coming back, but he's going to be fighting a different enemy this time.

Skydance CEO David Ellison revealed to Collider more details about the sequel to the 1986 hit, and it will look at the clash between manned and unmanned aircraft, or in other words, pilots versus drones.

"Justin Marks is writing the screenplay right now," Ellison said. "He has a phenomenal take to really update that world for what fighter pilots in the Navy (have) turned into today."
So on the radio this afternoon they had a chat with a volunteer from the Australian National Aviation Museum, who are raising funds to purchase a CAC P-51 Mustang and do a complete restoration. Despite living 20 minutes away I've never been to the museum, although I have seen some of the outside displays while driving past. I also learned that Moorabbin Airport is Australia's third busiest airport, although it is all light aircraft and flight schools.

Looks like they've just passed their $5000 goal for the Mustang Project, although the current owner wants $250k for it.
http://www.pozible.com/project/195714
From their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/moorabbinairmuseum?_rdr=p

quote:

Australian National Aviation Museum We are buying the whole aircraft, the Pozible campaign is one of a number of fundraising ventures to raise funds from different sectors. Total cost is 250k. We have the prop and engine lined up already. The aircraft itself is complete but disassembled as it has been under restoration by one individual since 1984.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Not sure how Top Gun 2 could possibly be good even if it weren't drones.

"There's the enemy, 5 miles away."

"Missile launched, returning to the carrier."

<<roll credits>>

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

<<roll credits>>

This hasn't really changed from when the first one was made though.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Just show fighters dragging to defend for 25 minutes, then head to the tanker with no one shot down.

If it didn't have to be USN I'd say feature a less advanced country that still heavily relies on SAR missiles and heaters.

To be fair, half the reason the fights in Top Gun were so closely pitched and cool were that it quickly devolved from a no-shoot scenario to a shoot scenario. That's still fun training with modern aircraft with the aggressors generally behaving like assholes while the friendlies try not to start a war but also defend themselves. Having long range missiles isn't super important if the fight suddenly kicked off when someone turned air policing into air combat from within a nautical mile or three.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Cat Mattress posted:

The billionaire was Hergé's interpretation of Marcel Dassault, by the way, so that's why his private jet was a fancy variable-sweep wing supersonic bizjet, designed and drawn by one of Hergé's assistants, Roger Leloup, who is mostly famous for a comic series full of aircraft, futuristic gizmos, and bona fide alien space ships.

Yoko Tsuno :swoon:

Nerdy 10 year old me ate that poo poo up in the library. Pretty drat AI.

AlexanderCA fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 30, 2015

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

AlexanderCA posted:

F-16s and a Schwerer Gustav. Excellent.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

TheFluff posted:

Aerodynamics of the 37 Viggen aircraft. Part 1: general - characteristics at low speed

Some of you nerds might just be far enough gone that you'll read 145 pages of aerodynamical theory discussing the relative merits of a canard delta wing configuration when applied to the conflicting requirements of a supersonic fighter that is also supposed to have STOL characteristics, so I'll leave this link here. Saab rejected the swing-wing configuration as being too expensive and complicated and designed the first production canard jet (XB-70 predated it by a few years) instead and this explains how it works.

:butt:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

AlexanderCA posted:

What's this comic and has it been translated into English?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Shampoo posted:

It says "Yoko Tsuno" on the top. And yes, it has but the publishing is out of order for some reason. The first volume is sold as volume seven. Also, they're still in the process of getting them all out.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I really want to know what's going on in that cover image.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Shampoo posted:

Kamakazi F-16 pilots and retard Dora the Explorer lookalikes?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

McDeth posted:

Sooooooooo, it's Luke AFB?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Hog fart.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

If our T.O.s were this entertaining I might actually read them

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

McDeth posted:

Implying that isn't a Scorpion or some other ULWF that she's flying.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

I really want to know what's going on in that cover image.
F-16 in the back hosed up and is ejecting after attempting to shoot down the lead. Her plane has a jettisonable engine pack and rear firing missile interceptors. That's what I can remember from reason them when I was 12 anyway.

All the tech bits in that series own to a ridiculous degree.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

Colonial Air Force posted:

<<roll credits>>

I wonder what sport they'll use in place of volleyball. Homoerotic ultimate frisbee maybe?

But most importantly, what the hell is the soundtrack going to be like? The soundtrack for the original is nearly as iconic as the movie itself.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DkZ3LlVRi4

:aaa:

Not sure who's at fault here but it's a safe bet that a Doctor is piloting that other plane.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

evil_bunnY posted:

F-16 in the back hosed up and is ejecting after attempting to shoot down the lead. Her plane has a jettisonable engine pack and rear firing missile interceptors. That's what I can remember from reason them when I was 12 anyway.

All the tech bits in that series own to a ridiculous degree.

Hm. Exactly what it looks like.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Sooooooooo, it's Luke AFB?

:perfect:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

McDeth posted:

Not sure who's at fault here but it's a safe bet that a Doctor is piloting that other plane.

:stare:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

McDeth posted:

It's the twin engine airplane pilot's fault. The plane filming has the right of way on grounds of being overtaken, and of being lower on an approach.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

vessbot posted:

It's the twin engine airplane pilot's fault. The plane filming has the right of way on grounds of being overtaken, and of being lower on an approach.

It'd be interesting to hear UNICOM or MULTICOM.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Not as funny: The Swedish word for thrust is "dragkraft" (literally, drag force).

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

hobbesmaster posted:

It'd be interesting to hear UNICOM or MULTICOM.

It'll sound the same as it always does:

"Twin-Engine Doctor Killer on final this is Eggbeater did you have visual on us?"

*5-second pause*

"...Roger looking for traffic" :downs:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hadlock posted:

We had a 747 land more than once on our lovely little 5500' more than once for an airshow and easily had room to spare.

I'm sure a fully-laden 747-400 would have been pretty sporty though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm guessing they still had 80% fuel left when they declared an emergency, then dumped a bunch of fuel?

With a 747 you could land on two engines, and have the other two throttled down, already configured for reverse thrust before touchdown? Or is that too fancy for an emergency landing?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Two engines out of play for a go-around is a bad idea.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
I normally don't post in this thread, but I have some stuff you all may be interested in. I paid a visit to the R&D section of the National Museum of the Air Force at WPAFB, while working on base.

This is the first time I've seen the YF-23 in person (yeah, that's the Valkyrie above it). It's just as impressive as it looks in pictures. It's kind of depressing seeing all of these really rare aircraft crammed into one hangar. There are no barriers here, so we were free to move around in and around the aircraft for a closer look. The YF-23 still has its engines mounted on it. More interestingly:

What do you all make of that metal plate above the intake, and that protrusion towards the fuselage?

http://imgur.com/a/BiCXJ

The YF-12 was also in this museum. It looks completely different than an SR-71 up close. The entire back of the fuselage has all of these additional control surfaces.

Job Truniht fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 1, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Job Truniht posted:

More interestingly:

What do you all make of that metal plate above the intake, and that protrusion towards the fuselage?

Pretty common in high-performance fighters to feature intake surfaces to direct airflow. These non-movable/movable surfaces aid in preventing break ups in airflow that would potentially cause compressor stalls during flight under certain conditions.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
It must be a stealthy vortex generator.

They 727 needed them in the s-duct for engine 2 to prevent an engine surge on takeoff discovered on the first flight

While searching for that picture - I found this one:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don't know much about the source, but interesting read of an F-35 vs F-16 in close combat fighting.

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/test-pilot-admits-the-f-35-can-t-dogfight-cdb9d11a875

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Job Truniht posted:

More interestingly:

I'm not an aerospace engineer (although I play one on the internet) but that looks like a vortex generator to help keep laminar flow along the side of the intake. That looks like a sharp enough bend that it could cause an eddie to form, and yeah cause compressor stall

They also go on the back of some rice rockets; Mitsubishi put them on the back of the roof of their "Evo Lancer" rally car a couple years ago to help airflow between the top of the rear windshield and the (functional) spoiler, they seem to have really taken off.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Job Truniht posted:

The YF-12 was also in this museum. It looks completely different than an SR-71 up close. The entire back of the fuselage has all of these additional control surfaces.

Awesome album, dude. That Valkyrie really begs for our attention.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Don't know much about the source, but interesting read of an F-35 vs F-16 in close combat fighting.

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/test-pilot-admits-the-f-35-can-t-dogfight-cdb9d11a875

Before anybody freaks out, the F-16 is one of the best "dogfighters" in the world, so it's not surprising the F-35 wouldn't perform well against it. Some of the specifics are a bit concerning (when an F-15E pilot says maneuverability sucks, that's an eyebrow raiser), but this is hardly conclusive and no unclassified report is going to contain the actual meaningful info from which to draw conclusions on performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Any sane person with a base knowledge of aerodynamics could look at the F-35 and reason out that it would make for a poor dogge fighter. Those tiny wings on a heavy rear end body don't bode well for taking out an F-16.