Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

moths posted:

Hunter also had a specific type of broken imbued, the Wayward, who took to violence and absolutism for its own sake after signals get crossed in imbuing. They were bad guys, but (of course) they got a Black Dog book.

They probably map closest to today's fash, and they're really not lauded by the text.

And in fact they can sort of 'infect' other Imbued (or break them as well) so they could in theory symbolize fash's infectious nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

juggalo baby coffin posted:

but i think overall it just comes off as corny to tie it all down to one origin, especially one origin that's based in existing myth.
I like the "Convergent Evolution" thing going on in Requiem, which IIRC is all but canon, there's even some vampire-like creatures that are actively becoming more like Standard Issue Core Book Vampires somewhere.

Much like things keep turning into crabs in the sea, there's some kind of evolutionary pressure that makes a blood-drinking undead creature of the night become something you can play without having to change the rules in the core book much.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Zereth posted:

I like the "Convergent Evolution" thing going on in Requiem, which IIRC is all but canon, there's even some vampire-like creatures that are actively becoming more like Standard Issue Core Book Vampires somewhere.

Much like things keep turning into crabs in the sea, there's some kind of evolutionary pressure that makes a blood-drinking undead creature of the night become something you can play without having to change the rules in the core book much.

I don't know why but making a direct link between the gently caress It Everything's A Crab phenomenon and nWoD's convergent vampires has me in stitches.

Given sufficient time, all supernatural creatures in or near a certain ecological niche will become a crab, a dracula, or in rare instances the Ordo Dracul chases rumors of feverishly, a crab dracula.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
IIRC the Jiang-Shi are very close to achieving full vampire status.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zereth posted:

I really enjoy the idea that if you exist in the NWOD drinking blood, eventually you'll have to sleep in the day and gain access to Vigor and Majesty.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Dawgstar posted:

I really enjoy the idea that if you exist in the NWOD drinking blood, eventually you'll have to sleep in the day and gain access to Vigor and Majesty.
It's like how in Good Omens any cassette tape left in a car for a fortnight becomes the Best of Queen but if you drink enough blood it triggers the vampire quest line.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Daeren posted:

I don't know why but making a direct link between the gently caress It Everything's A Crab phenomenon and nWoD's convergent vampires has me in stitches.

Given sufficient time, all supernatural creatures in or near a certain ecological niche will become a crab, a dracula, or in rare instances the Ordo Dracul chases rumors of feverishly, a crab dracula.
It's an extremely good analogy for the phenomenon I'm talking about, and also a hilarious one, which is why I bring it up at every opportunity. :allears:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Pope Guilty posted:

IIRC the Jiang-Shi are very close to achieving full vampire status.

I like that the mechanical changes to them between books has been made a canon lore thing. Losing their weaknesses but also some of their strengths, becoming closer to the regular style of vampire.

I like that in requiem each clan originates from a totally different source. Like the Mekhet are from egyptian priests who went into the underworld while they were still alive, the nosferatu either rose spontaneously from rotting corpses, the ventrue were originally like household gods of the greeks and didn't have the weakness to fire or sunlight until later. Weirdest of all, the Daeva potentially come from the Dancing Plague (a real event) in the 16th century, where people would dance until they died. Some of the victims of the plague died, but didn't stop dancing.

Like Zereth said, its like there's some universal force that tries to balance out these creatures whose only commonality is they drink the blood of the living.

Some of the bloodlines also seem to be that way, like they started out as wholly original undead creatures but then became folded into one of the existing clans, rather than being a mutation of the clan's existing blood. Like the Gorgon ventrue bloodline claim that they were spawned when people drank the blood of Medusa after she was slain, or the one bloodline who just seem to be basically native american wendigoes who are connected to a specific native american afterlife thing.

There's a bloodline I thought was really cool, who when they're embraced their blood just busts out of their body like the kool aid man and crawls around as a big blood blob until they get strong enough to take human shape again. They don't have any player rules though, cause they're believed to be extinct.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

There's a bloodline I thought was really cool, who when they're embraced their blood just busts out of their body like the kool aid man and crawls around as a big blood blob until they get strong enough to take human shape again. They don't have any player rules though, cause they're believed to be extinct.
A. that's the top Viscitude discipline move, isn't it?
B. yeah sure the blood aid man is extinct, SURE

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Daeren posted:

Crabula.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Nessus posted:

A. that's the top Viscitude discipline move, isn't it?
B. yeah sure the blood aid man is extinct, SURE

https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Pijavica

it took me like forever to find what they were called again

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Original Character™ Do Not Steal

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

is there a crab nosferatu bloodline? i could see there being some type of underwater drowned vampire bloodline who can get crab hands or something

edit: should i go full nerd and design one?

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 28, 2019

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I don't have the post on hand but I think nWoD vampirism has been likened to a wound. It can be inflicted a number of different ways, with a number of different weapons but whether you're getting stabbed with a sword or a knife or whatever, the properties of a wound are more or less the same.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

is there a crab nosferatu bloodline? i could see there being some type of underwater drowned vampire bloodline who can get crab hands or something

edit: should i go full nerd and design one?
There were aquatic Gangrel.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nessus posted:

There were aquatic Gangrel.

I need to know what book because I 100% will make a fish-pire next Vampire game

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

sexpig by night posted:

I need to know what book because I 100% will make a fish-pire next Vampire game

Blood-Dimmed Tides. The Mariners are honestly kind of boring. "They're like any other Gangrel, except they're total loners who hang out in the ocean and most of their animal features are like lamprey mouths or whatever. Here's a couple Discipline variants they use. Their Agendas and Missions are 'nothing' because it's more of a phenotype than an ideology." And their example character is called a "Representative Profile" but: a) he can still pass for human most of the time; b) he still feeds primarily from humans and interacts with land-bound vampires regularly; c) his name is "Paul."

EDIT: Like the very basic idea could be a cool one-off NPC you encounter way out of the way once in an entire story, but it sure didn't need three pages of no real information.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 28, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

That Old Tree posted:

Blood-Dimmed Tides. The Mariners are honestly kind of boring. "They're like any other Gangrel, except they're total loners who hang out in the ocean and most of their animal features are like lamprey mouths or whatever. Here's a couple Discipline variants they use. Their Agendas and Missions are 'nothing' because it's more of a phenotype than an ideology." And their example character is called a "Representative Profile" but: a) he can still pass for human most of the time; b) he still feeds primarily from humans and interacts with land-bound vampires regularly; c) his name is "Paul."

EDIT: Like the very basic idea could be a cool one-off NPC you encounter way out of the way once in an entire story, but it sure didn't need three pages of no real information.

my dreams, dashed :qq:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Blood-dimmed Tides was reasonably solid in terms of "So here's a buncha poo poo you could use to make an ocean campaign." It got me to buy it, anyway.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nessus posted:

Blood-dimmed Tides was reasonably solid in terms of "So here's a buncha poo poo you could use to make an ocean campaign." It got me to buy it, anyway.

Like most of the oWoD books that weren't entirely based around a racist stereotype (and even some of those), it had some goofy cool fun ideas, but it also had some real dogshit in it.

The book literally says there're like maybe a dozen Mariners and they're all loners who don't have anything to offer you (except Paul, I guess). They suck. But then right after that you get the mysterious and unsettling ties to benthic darkness and the Lasombra, and they've got their fingers in all kinds of transoceanic shipping, and a plot hook about underwater Lasombra pirates who stole a submarine.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

That Old Tree posted:

, and a plot hook about underwater Lasombra pirates who stole a submarine.

Yo I would read/watch/play the hell out of that if it were a book, movie or game because vampire pirates in a submarine sounds hysterical and amazing.

It's like a lost Roger Corman movie.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
A nuclear-armed submarine, if memory serves.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Loomer posted:

What the gently caress is it with white wolf and nuclear armed submarines?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Loomer posted:

:black101:

Kurieg posted:

What the gently caress is it with white wolf and nuclear armed submarines?

Because they are :black101: as gently caress, obviously.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

joylessdivision posted:

Because they are :black101: as gently caress, obviously.

Well, yes, but they're also at the crux of one of the most :psyduck: end times scenarios.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i'm doing it, i'm going to be ashamed of this forever:

The Drowned

'The captain goes down with his ship' is more than just a saying. It's a tradition going back hundreds of years, and forms an important part of maritime law to this day. A captain who abandons his crew and passengers to save his own skin can face jail time or worse.

But for those who acquit themselves bravely, who face death with dignity and ensure that every effort is made to protect those under their care, sometime salvation awaits.

The Drowned hold that their progenitor is none other than Davy Jones himself. While some may scoff at such a claim, others point out that the recorded sightings of Davy Jones, the devil of the sea, speak of a demonic figure with glowing eyes spotted clinging to the rigging. A bestial silhouette, backlit by flashes of lightning during a storm at night. Perhaps these sightings were of a single figure, or perhaps they were sightings of many different early Drowned.

Other kindred speak of a different origin for the Drowned, and refer to them as Barnacles. Their story is one of ancient nosferatu clinging to the undersides of galleons during the Age of Sail, hiding beneath the ocean's waves during the day, and coming out to feed on the crew at night. Who knows how many cases of scurvy, or deaths by mysterious illness at sea, were in fact symptoms of a particularly greedy predator.

The years spent under the waves is said to have warped these kindred, the brine seeping into their Vitae and twisting them into hideous new shapes.

Whatever the truth of their origin is, the Drowned of tonight are a long way from the hull-clutching parasites some claim them to be. They pride themselves in adhering to the traditions and morals of the sea, forming tight Crews (as they call their coteries) of loyal friends. These crews are more akin to the democratic pirate crews of the age of sail, as many of the early Drowned had experienced the tyranny and the lash of the Navy, and had no desire to replicate that lifestyle in their Requiem. Each Crew has a Captain, whose word is law when the Crew is 'underway'. The Captain isn't necessarily the leader of the crew overall, though they often are, they are just the member who is regarded as the best shot-caller in life or death situations.

A Captain who abuses their position or their Crew is liable to face a mutiny, which can end with them being diablerized or worse. While mutinies are rare, this habit has given the Drowned something of a bad reputation within Kindred society. They may keep their diablerie in the family, but few Elders like to be reminded of the fact that, were their underlings to band together, they too could wind up as dinner.

The Drowned regard themselves as being forever at sea, whether it's the actual ocean, or the vast, hostile mass of humanity that surrounds their small group. This can sometimes lead to a kind of cabin fever, where tempers flare between Drowned, but these conflicts usually only lead to isolated brawls and are soon forgotten and forgiven. Crews are also loyal to other Crews when the chips are down. Just like a fishing boat might give up their catch to go and answer the distress signal of another boat, even a boat whose crew they hate on an interpersonal level, so too will The Drowned mobilise to help another crew in need.

But when the Drowned succumb to the Beast, they become true monsters of the deep. Rapacious pirates whose hunger leaves ghost ships in their wake

Parent Clan: Nosferatu
Nicknames: Barnacles (insulting), Crewmen, Davys
Covenants: Most Drowned are Carthians, favouring the democratic structure and practical attitude towards the use of power and unity, but they can be found in any covenant but the Invictus. The Drowned despise the corrupt, controlling nature of the Invictus, and the Invictus in turn regard the Drowned as too rebellious and distasteful.
Drowned in the Lancia Et Sanctum are rare, but those who follow that path draw on the myth of Jonah, claiming to be his descendants. Crewmen in the Ordo Dracul recall the ancient science of navigation, and the role of seafaring in advancing man's understanding of the natural world. Those drawn to the Circle of the Crone draw on centuries of seafaring superstition to flavour their rituals.
Appearance: Like all Nosferatu, the Drowned are hideous to behold in some ways. Unlike their parent clan, the Drowned's ugliness is always physical deformation, and always linked to the sea. Many are bloated like floating corpses, others are constantly wet and slimy, others still have barnacle-like growths strewn across their skin. Shark's teeth, webbed fingers, blood-hungry octopus suckers on the palm, all are common.Those with more dramatic Flaws might have hands twisted into bony crab claws, or a lamprey's jaw in place of their own.
Havens: The natural home of the Drowned is on a boat at sea, but more metropolitan Drowned might reside in a houseboat, or find a sewer pipe that leads out into the ocean. They value being by the sea, and like to fill their homes with their hard-won treasures and trophies. Contrary to stereotypes, they do not bury treasure anywhere.
Backgrounds:The Drowned only embrace (and perhaps only CAN embrace) those who are drowning. They pick out the mortals who have faced their death bravely, and give them a second chance at life. Whether it's a crab fisherman drowning in the Bering Strait, or a Navy Seaman trapped within a sinking warship, or even a lifeguard or passer-by who gives their life to try and save someone else, all are worthy candidates. More than being something in their blood, this recruitment tactic means that the vast majority of Drowned are stoic, level-headed, and courageous individuals. They have very little patience for scheming, which sets them apart from a great deal of vampire society. It also makes them rare.

Many Drowned will claim they were embraced at the site of a famous shipwreck, be it the Lusitania, the Titanic, or even the shark infested waters around the USS Indianapolis, but often these are just tall tales for the benefit of land lubbers.

They do sometimes recruit other nosferatus into their crews, but they are regarded as dangerously untested greenhorns until they prove themselves reliable. Once they win the trust of their crew, they are offered the chance to join the bloodline, in a ritual based on the mortal practice of Crossing the Equator. Some particularly orthodox Drowned actually take their new prospect out to sea to literally cross the equator, and welcome them to the bloodline during the ritual.
Disciplines: [insert disciplines here + Bad Crabitude]
Weakness: [I'm torn about what to do here, I was thinking of 1) they're just extra ugly and get Nos penalties but more 2) they can only feed on drowning people (but depending on GM that could either be a huge pain in the rear end or a formality) or 3) they need to sleep in salt water? idk.]

Bad Crabitude

I'm not super familiar with how to make balanced powers, but here are my ideas for this discipline:

Saltwater Feast
Extra vitae when you drink from a victim who is drowning

Crabsformation
Gain some armour and/or attack claws by spending vitae to become crablike

Ocean's Embrace
Even shallow water protects you from the sun if you spend vitae & are fully immersed

Putrescence
Spend vitae to turn the corpse gasses inside you into a poison fog that leaks out when you take damage

Rising Brine
Spend vitae to start drowning people around you on dry land.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
idea owns, i dont have any comments on mechanics

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Kurieg posted:

Well, yes, but they're also at the crux of one of the most :psyduck: end times scenarios.

Someone at WW read too many Tom Clancy novels.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nah, it was "just" a regular attack submarine, sold by the Russians to Iran before it was stolen. If it was the right variant and fully armed it would have some torpedoes, mines and a handful of normal missiles.

It was tentatively linked to the sinking of a Ventrue yacht.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

trying to write in the white wolf house style will make you want to die, but i think the idea turned out alright.

my concept was:

- draws from nautical legends
- retain the nosferatu trait of their mental humanity being directly proportional to their physical inhumanity
- have them keep the attitudes and values that real sailors have, for better or worse
- draw from realistic pirates, who were reviled, but as free people often ran their ships more humanely and democratically than the 'good guy' navies.
- crab power
- ocean man

i'm not a great Stats man so I didn't want to try and throw something together myself and have it turn out to be trash. The powers for the discipline are designed to compliment each other so the Drowned could be a monster swashbuckler and have a way to access ocean powers on land. I'm not sure how much overlap there is between the discipline powers I made and the existing disciplines, but I figured if there was already a gangrel thing that gave you claws then the drowned version could be either a bit cheaper or more specialised.

I don't know which stock disciplines would be a good fit for them though.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I like the concept, in terms of Disciplines I'd just make it a Nosferatu Bloodline, so Nightmare, Obfuscate, Potence and then Protean as their extra, with a strong suggestion to pick Aquatic, Claws and a new Shelled trait (adds armor) when building their Predatory Aspect. Create a Protean 1 and Obfuscate 1 devotion that has shallow water protect them from the sun.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Nessus posted:

Wraiths being able to walk on water was extremely neat.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

ZearothK posted:

I like the concept, in terms of Disciplines I'd just make it a Nosferatu Bloodline, so Nightmare, Obfuscate, Potence and then Protean as their extra, with a strong suggestion to pick Aquatic, Claws and a new Shelled trait (adds armor) when building their Predatory Aspect. Create a Protean 1 and Obfuscate 1 devotion that has shallow water protect them from the sun.

that's a good idea, I wasn't sure if every new bloodline HAD to have a new discipline unique to them. It seemed like all the ones in the books did so I tried to make one up. Protean seems to have a good range of stuff for them, the burying yourself power ties in nicely with the idea of pirates burying stuff. Obfuscate and nightmare fit with stories of dread pirates and ghost ships, and potence/vigor fits with sailors being strong as gently caress overall.

What do you think about the additional weaknesses? as a bloodline they get the nosferatu weakness, but they're supposed to have something else on top. the problem I'm having with it is the weaknesses of the official bloodlines seem to vary wildly in how severe they are. Some are 'you have to take a bath in 1 point of vitae every week or you turn ugly' or 'you have to eat meat sometimes and it makes you puke a bit' and others are 'you literally don't have any loving legs'

For the Drowned I thought of a big old list of potentials, but I don't know which are too crippling and which are too light

- Have to sleep in salt water (ie under wet beach sand, in the sea, in a saline swimming pool, a bathtub you've mixed salt into the water of)
- Extra ugliness penalties (ie nosferatu but More So)
- Can't blood bonds or use viniculum, whether its on vampires or mortals (pirates are free men, and loyalty is earned, not demanded or stolen)
- Spend willpower any time you have to trust someone outside your crew with something important (keep an eye on land lubbers)

any other ideas would be good, i just want it to be balanced and fitting.

I originally wanted to name the bloodline 'The Crew of Davy Jones' but I googled that and apparently there was Davy Jones in pirates of the carribean, and he had a crew of guys who were half turned into sea creatures, so i was worried it would look like the crabpires were ripping off a wildly lovely movie.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
They didn't end up going with it, but there was an idea that was batted around in the very earliest days of V:tM that vampires who lose their Humanity but aren't destroyed eventually gravitate to the deep sea, where the sun never shines, and live mysterious unlives of unknown purpose.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I always thought the benthic depths vampire concept was a really cool one, the only thing that always tripped me up was that vampires still need, like, one blood point per day. Where do they get it down there? Does fish blood even count, given that pretty much every example we ever see is mammalian in nature? I mean, I'm sure there are some reptiles here and there, too, but, muh. Do they have to go after whales and dolphins?

It just always seemed like they'd really benefit from a 'so long as they don't emerge from the pitch black depths, they need to spend blood to wake each night at (x) rate, or not at all, really' rule, given that it would hardly be game-breaking, but feels (at least to me) to fit both thematically, given that you're hiding out in an environment completely severed from the sun and from humanity, and in a suspending disbelief way, given...well, being at the bottom of the ocean means you've got a *lot* more 'territory' to cross to find something to eat than you'd ever have to deal with on the surface, even in the middle of the harshest deserts.

(Sorry for the weird interjection, it's just this thought I've had off and on for...gently caress...way too long now, without ever voicing to anyone else until now. Sorry, sorry.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Name it Carcinisation after the actual term for the "things keep convergent evolutioning in to crabs" phenomenon

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Ocean pressure would still crush vampires just like anything else. Underwater ocean vampires are a bad concept

Lake life vamps however...

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Also the Caine mythos is far superior to Lol all undead humans are vampires

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Oberst posted:

Also the Caine mythos is far superior to Lol all undead humans are vampires

You're very wrong, did you know that?

Convergent vampiric evolution points to an underlying structure of reality and allows for things like Blood Bathers, pennangalans, all the vampire-like folklore monsters which get categorized as local vampires anyways. They get more like Kindred/'True' vampires by weird occult pressure, despite starting off radically different. That's a fascinating concept that I have used in play (in Mage's Neoplatonic milieu) to make players extremely paranoid about the laws of the unnatural.

Caine's just a dude and requires every non-European vampire (and plenty of traditional folkloric vampires) to be non-vampires in fundamental ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oberst posted:

Ocean pressure would still crush vampires just like anything else. Underwater ocean vampires are a bad concept

Vampires don't need to breathe, so they can just fill themselves with water so their air doesn't turn them into a popping baloon.

What do you think about the additional weaknesses? as a bloodline they get the nosferatu weakness, but they're supposed to have something else on top. the problem I'm having with it is the weaknesses of the official bloodlines seem to vary wildly in how severe they are. Some are 'you have to take a bath in 1 point of vitae every week or you turn ugly' or 'you have to eat meat sometimes and it makes you puke a bit' and others are 'you literally don't have any loving legs'

I was going to suggest a couple - like taking a growing malus for every night they spend away from the sea or having to spend willpower if they have a whole night without being immersed in saltwater, but it's like you said, Bloodline weaknesses are kind of inconsistent in general, so I didn't feel confidence in any of the concepts. I do like the no blood bonds thing, which can play very well with the bloodline's etho.