Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh I remember those. My brother had a few of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Holy poo poo I had Dinosorb and had no idea what it was from.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I only had three or four of the MOTU branded ones. I had a bunch of the other brands though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Were they recolors? I'm pretty sure I remember him having Dinosorb but in green.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Were they recolors? I'm pretty sure I remember him having Dinosorb but in green.

There were tons of KOs. My grandmother used to bring them back from Mexico.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

I’ve been wanting to pick up a Dinosorb for awhile. Just can’t seem to getting around to buying one.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I know mine were the MOTU ones, pretty sure I have the lion, tiger, bear and mammoth.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TheDK posted:

Holy poo poo I had Dinosorb and had no idea what it was from.

Same, but it was that way with most of the stuff I had from the early 80s. There was a woman that had a side hustle of traveling the tri-state area and flipping toys at the local flea markets. Best birthday was my fifth, since 5 was the minimum age according to the packaging, when my dad came in with a grocery bag full of GI Joe figures and accessories.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I know mine were the MOTU ones, pretty sure I have the lion, tiger, bear and mammoth.

If you dig them out and want to haggle a bit i might be interested. The way I'm going im gonna run out of figures to buy.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rhyno posted:

If you dig them out and want to haggle a bit i might be interested. The way I'm going im gonna run out of figures to buy.
When you run out of figures to buy, could you start buying figures for me? :kiddo:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xenomrph posted:

When you run out of figures to buy, could you start buying figures for me? :kiddo:

Maybe after I put together complete runs of New Adventures, 200X and Classics.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I think Eminem’s MOTU collection is all in box, but I don’t remember. I know he had a custom figure made of some character that was on the show, but didn’t get a figure.

It can always get worse, Rhyno.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Good thing I'm not insane.

With MOTU, I want back what I had. I don't need perfect figures, I just want them to be complete as I was missing very few accessories. I'm looking at what figures are left and it's really down to Scare Glow and Twistoid that are stupidly priced. Those will definitely be the last two things I pick up unless I stumble on a major deal. Once vintage is done I will move on to 200X and then Classics but I'm pretty sure I'm only going to buy the updated versions of original figures unless I find killer deals again. And it's unlikely I'll find a reasonable price on Grayskull. Who knows if Snake Mountain will ever actually ship.

Looking ahead, on card pictures of all the new Origins figures have leaked and we know Grayskull is coming. Good money says we'll have all that stuff by Christmas and the 2021 NYTF is gonna be huge for the line. I feel very happy with this choice to redirect my collecting energy.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Saw a different Figuarts Goku at Target this weekend! Kaioken this time. I almost got him, but I have Normal and SSJ so do I really NEED Kaioken? We'll see.... it'd be cool if this was the start of a bigger Figuarts presence in the US.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So are those all just the same figure with a different hair piece?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Aphrodite posted:

Kaioken is tinted red because in the show when he goes Kaioken he gets a red energy aura

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Aphrodite posted:

Basically yes.

It’s the same as the regular form Goku that’s been at Target painted a very nice pearlescent red with an extra hair piece. It’s really more for completionists, but since it’s 95% a repaint, it keeps the price down to the same $35.

Figures in this line with all new sculpts tend to start around the $55-60 mark and can go up to around the $70 area for huge guys like Broly from the new movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I found a snake eyes and bought it. Seems cool. Excited to photograph him.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
They updated that warehouse sale I mentioned before. Might be some cool poo poo.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Saw a different Figuarts Goku at Target this weekend! Kaioken this time. I almost got him, but I have Normal and SSJ so do I really NEED Kaioken? We'll see.... it'd be cool if this was the start of a bigger Figuarts presence in the US.

When I grabbed Goku I’m pretty sure they had some kind of Figuarts Evil Buu

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

oh no I’m addicted to GI JOE toys again

Goddamnit.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

Finally Lando - been waiting a while for that one.

HOT TOYS LANDO!!!

My collection will be complete. In 2022. I will never have to buy another toy again.

And LOL I have all of those vintage MOTU toys.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm just glad I found the strength to not buy any of the joes when I saw them at the store a few weeks back. That's one goddamn slippery slope to hop onto with "oh, I'll just get there commander, maybe snake eyes, but oh wait they need enemies and if course snake eyes isn't gonna be intimidated by just ONE ninja..." bankruptcy looming.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I dove all in but am still looking for a Trooper(s). GI Joe was my main plastic crack as a child, so when this line came out I basically killed my comic Marvel Legends collecting and now am only collecting Spidey and X-Men, no more Avengers or anything else.

Joes were the backbone of my toys for basically my entire childhood... I had a bunch of them and a couple of the vehicles, but I mainly would pretend they were other stuff because I didn't have figures for those things. Throw a cape on one guy, he's Batman, or Superman. Rubber band toothpicks to another's hands, he's Wolverine. Take some colored pipe cleaners, wrap tape around one end for a hilt, and now you have lightsabers. Give Sgt Slaughter a piece of black wire, now he's Indiana Jones. My whole childhood was basically repurposing a bunch of GI Joes into everything, because that's all we could afford at the time. Like, the birthday when my mom gave me Slaughter's Warthog tank literally first thing in the morning is still probably one of my favorite birthdays ever, and has stuck with me 30ish years later because it was so expensive and the only new vehicle I ever got, the rest were all garage sale buys.

Anyway, I'll stop with my crazy monologuing. Anyone have any Troopers in their area? :pray: NYC is a wasteland for toys at Target.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Luckily that will be the one and only time you see them in stores.

Also from what I'm seeing online and my own hunting is that the cobra island release is basically done. There are still a few Baronesses being restocked but i think thats just due to the lag from her delayed release. The other three i suspect we won't see again for a long while, if at all. Especially with the Chinese trade war hitting new heights.

Dale-Taco fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 20, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

When they announce the BAT trooper, I’m there.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah Chicago area is pretty empty at this point as far as targets are concerned. I missed out on the trooper and baroness. I'm hoping for a baroness solo release at some point but we'll see. Rumors for the next wave include Jaye and zartan which I'd love to see.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/toybroreviews/status/1307365644569055232?s=20

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Hasbro is doing a two-day "Hasbro PulseCon" online extravaganza of presentations and reveals this coming Friday and Saturday. Friday is Star Wars and Marvel, Saturday is G.I. Joe, Transformers, and Ghostbusters. It's crazy. They have Fall Out Boy and Tenacious D performing!

I suspect this is when we'll see the upcoming Kingdom series of Transformers, following Siege and Earthrise, and also the 1986 Transformers: The Movie Studio Series. Poor-quality photos of new Hot Rod and Kup have already been leaked, and Galvatron, Cyclonus, Scourge, Grimlock, and Slag have been rumored on leaked lists.

For G.I. Joe Classified, I expect to see at least one whole new wave, and hopefully more. Names that were leaked a whole back included Major Bludd, Zartan, Flint, Lady Jaye, and Barbecue. A more classic Storm Shadow and Alley Viper seem inevitable because they have appeared in promo art. I'm still hoping for Chuckles, although the right-wing racist "Boogaloo Boys" movement has probably ruined our chances of getting a guy in a Hawaiian shirt strapped up with paramilitary gear and weapons.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you're going for those previously SDCC exclusives though, PulseCon is Fri-Sat but the merch sale is Wed-Thu. Wednesday for their premium membership thing only.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

For G.I. Joe Classified, I expect to see at least one whole new wave, and hopefully more. Names that were leaked a whole back included Major Bludd, Zartan, Flint, Lady Jaye, and Barbecue. A more classic Storm Shadow and Alley Viper seem inevitable because they have appeared in promo art. I'm still hoping for Chuckles, although the right-wing racist "Boogaloo Boys" movement has probably ruined our chances of getting a guy in a Hawaiian shirt strapped up with paramilitary gear and weapons.

After seeing chuckles in the newest comic series I was suddenly reminded of a gi joe toy with a Hawaiian shirt. Would love to see a classified version but you make a good point.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

After seeing chuckles in the newest comic series I was suddenly reminded of a gi joe toy with a Hawaiian shirt. Would love to see a classified version but you make a good point.

This is the point where I once again recommend one of my favorite comics of the last decade, and IMO the best G.I. Joe story in any media, ever: Cobra: The Last Laugh, by Christos Gage, Mike Costa, and Antonio Fuso, an epic saga where Chuckles goes deep undercover in Cobra and does some very bad things in order to blend in and survive. It's AWESOME -- better than any stories Larry Hama ever wrote himself.

The continuity is slightly different -- modernized, updated, more mature, less cartoony. They even turn Big Boa, Crystal Ball, and Croc Master into terrifying villains! There's a beautiful hardcover that's out of print that goes for around $50, but I keep hoping the IDW shake-ups don't delay the long-delayed TPB any further. It's supposed to be out in December, for $29.99, and it's a must-read for anyone who thinks G.I. Joe is cool. If you loved Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips' Sleeper, Cobra: The Last Laugh definitely pays homage to it.

I think Hasbro could maintain Chuckles' laid-back undercover style by putting him in a retro bowling shirt or a guayabera, instead of the Hawaiian aloha shirt.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 20, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

And LOL I have all of those vintage MOTU toys.

gimmie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GI Joe figures were weird for me because I got hella addicted to them despite not ever watching the shows or reading the comics. They just looked neat.

I don’t want very Classifed figure. I just want Cobra Commander, a trooped, Storm Shadow (regular version) and maybe a Joe that looks neat. But I realize how awfully hard of a task that’s going to be....

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

She-Ra on a Masters card always looks so wrong to me... Good excuse to open that one up, I guess. I preordered that Power Con exclusive She-Ra which is a little fancier, and if that comes on a PoP style card I might keep it packaged... it would look cool next to my vintage one. And then the standard edition I can display loose. Should work out!

My general feelings on 80s cartoon stuff is that He-Man / She-Ra had the best toys, in terms of design, quality and overall fun factor, Thundercats had the better TV show but the toys were kinda clunky and prone to breakage. This is probably why they're worth so much now, it's hard to find them intact. The Thundercats toy line was definitely ambitious with the large scale, mechanical/electronic features and unique sculpts for every single character, but they couldn't sustain that, so the selection was more limited. This is why I'm stoked to have good Thundercats toys for pretty much the first time.

This thread makes me very glad I was never a big GI Joe fan...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alien deleted scene

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

This is the point where I once again recommend one of my favorite comics of the last decade, and IMO the best G.I. Joe story in any media, ever: Cobra: The Last Laugh.

Thanks for this, I've been looking to read more joe comics (I really like the new one and want to read other stories more in line with the mythos) and have no idea where to start. I was born in 84 but I inherited Joe's (and motu, star wars, etc) from my brother. My absolute favorite thing to do as a kid was watch top gun and "play along" with my sky striker.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CelticPredator posted:

Alien deleted scene

Jonesy?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I never got into the marvel legends stuff cause I thought it'd be too deep a rabbit hole

Now I'm staring into the classified abyss and I know it's staring back at me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Same, the only thing saving me so far is never seeing any pn the shelves.