Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

xzzy posted:

If you do make sure to take a lovely cell phone picture and put it on r/hockeyplayers with a NEW TWIG!!! subject like anyone in the world is going to give a poo poo.

http://youtu.be/jkhbSNUll8I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

My favorite posts on r/hockeyplayers are the ones titled "is it too late for me to start playing hockey?" and then it's revealed in the text they're a teenager.

My wife was talking to the ~12 year old son of one of the guys in my league. The dad started as an adult because his kids play so I guess he wanted to have something in common with them. His son basically said it was weird his dad played hockey and that there were a bunch of adults playing while being bad at it.

He wasn't being lovely about it. I think basically kids see that the norm is to start playing sports as a kid and assume they either a) make it to pro level, or b) stop playing sometime after high school or maybe college and never play a sport again.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

z0331 posted:

My wife was talking to the ~12 year old son of one of the guys in my league. The dad started as an adult because his kids play so I guess he wanted to have something in common with them. His son basically said it was weird his dad played hockey and that there were a bunch of adults playing while being bad at it.

That's why my wife started playing. The kids were little and started figure skating and playing hockey (for a bit). They're all way better skaters than both of us, but I can still hang the hockey stop over them.

I started because I dumped a gf and needed a hobby :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's how the adult instructional league got so big where I'm at too. When the Blackhawks started doing well, every kid in the suburbs wanted to play hockey. Their dads would be stuck at the rink on Sundays and see a bunch of wobbly never evers getting coached and decide they want to try it out too, and sign up.

Now that the Blackhawks suck there's fewer kids and fewer dads too, so signups are wayyyy down.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Guess that’s the good part of living in Mass, even when the bruins underachieve there’s enough buzz around them to make kids and adults want to try Hockey.

We have a dude on my team that skates hard one shift a game, but it’s not consistent which shift he steps it up, so just randomly you’ll see him charge up the ice to back check, grab the puck and then be part of the rush back in. The rest of the game he just coasts and waits for the puck to come to him. Unless someone makes him mad, then he plays hard for two or three shifts.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
rage perk, nice

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

V for Vegans posted:

We have a dude on my team that skates hard one shift a game, but it’s not consistent which shift he steps it up, so just randomly you’ll see him charge up the ice to back check, grab the puck and then be part of the rush back in. The rest of the game he just coasts and waits for the puck to come to him. Unless someone makes him mad, then he plays hard for two or three shifts.

He forgets he has a turbo button for most of the game.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's never too late to start playing. Who gives a poo poo how good or bad you are. I've been skating since I was a kid and I'm not a pro or even close. I don't beat myself up over that or even give a poo poo.

It's fun no matter what skill level.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Both my parents started in their late 50s. I play with another guy who started at 65, we just celebrated his 75th birthday at our game a few weeks ago. Everyone should play hockey.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
The try-hard team we played last Saturday night at 11:30 recorded the game, and then decided to make a friggin highlight video of said game.

It's really weird, but also kind of neat being able to see things again, like your goal in slow-mo. But also not good because you realize they completely missed the bit where you got punched in the face right at the end of the game because you went after a 50-50 puck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aojRfgB6vcw

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We have a guy that liked to record our games because it's fun to watch that stuff later. But he got poo poo on so much by other teams he's pretty much stopped, dudes would take runs at him for having a gopro.

And jesus gently caress how many spectators do you have. :stare:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

People are actually in the stands... That's unnerving as hell, too much pressure. Hockey is secret time, I only want to fail in front of my team and the other guys!

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 5, 2020

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

A kid in their mid teens picking up hockey is at a bad place. They don't have time to get good enough to play with kids their age (as in on a team), and they can't play in adult leagues. I'm not sure what kind of drop-ins they'll be able to play in, either.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

It's never too late to start playing. Who gives a poo poo how good or bad you are. I've been skating since I was a kid and I'm not a pro or even close. I don't beat myself up over that or even give a poo poo.

It's fun no matter what skill level.

this dude gets it

Doctor Butts posted:

A kid in their mid teens picking up hockey is at a bad place. They don't have time to get good enough to play with kids their age (as in on a team), and they can't play in adult leagues. I'm not sure what kind of drop-ins they'll be able to play in, either.

what are you talking about?

kids go do skating classes then join the lowest level house league at their age group and get pummeled then next season they don’t as much and then next season even less. The good players go play travel. Some house leagues don’t even have checking anymore from what I’ve been told.

I basically did this and started ice hockey in my last year of peewees and my house team when I was 17 was some of the most fun I’ve had playing hockey ever. My buddy and I were just pasting people and scoring a shitload of goals.

Start hockey literally any time but those under 18 usually have a much easier time finding learn to skate/play classes and joining leagues that have practices which help accelerate getting better. Also they have coaches. And stick and puck is a thing, too. Doesn’t have to be drop in.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 6, 2020

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

also my large adult sons and I are headed to the pbr tournament in a week

Anyone aside from you Seattle idiots playing in it ?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Just kidding, we don't give a gently caress.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

sellouts posted:

also my large adult sons and I are headed to the pbr tournament in a week

Anyone aside from you Seattle idiots playing in it ?

I am. We are in the Brown Bottle since Broken Bottle sold out before I could get guys to commit. We're going to get so worked.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

xzzy posted:

And jesus gently caress how many spectators do you have. :stare:

a mysterious cloak posted:

People are actually in the stands... That's unnerving as hell, too much pressure. Hockey is secret time, I only want to fail in front of my team and the other guys!
The people recording were for the team we were playing, they had all their fans in the stand and it was weird as hell. Like who wants to come watch a bunch of scrubs play poo poo hockey at almost midnight is beyond me.

They also recorded our previous game but I have a feeling it's some guy who wants to get better at video editing since they didn't have slick graphics for our previous game and also didn't make up a highlights package.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Stitecin posted:

I am. We are in the Brown Bottle since Broken Bottle sold out before I could get guys to commit. We're going to get so worked.

:rip:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hope they get mercilessly chirped for that.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Stitecin posted:

prepare for a boring Sunday unless y’all just booked flights out that day anyways

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Stitecin posted:

Oh. Buddy... :rip: x2

That was us in the 2018 tourney.
(It's still fun tho)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

They didn't have the broken bottle league when my team went.... 7 years ago? I like to think they made it specifically for us because of how badly we got worked. IIRC, we lost our first game 34-3 or something like that. We were so bad the MC roasted us all weekend, it was great. They actually emailed us to apologize afterward and offered us a discount on the next year's entry. It was entirely good poo poo and hope we can go back sometime.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

real_scud posted:

The people recording were for the team we were playing, they had all their fans in the stand and it was weird as hell. Like who wants to come watch a bunch of scrubs play poo poo hockey at almost midnight is beyond me.

Once a season, our team does a "fan appreciation night", usually on a Friday or Saturday night game, where people bring loved ones to the game and then we all go to a bar afterwards. It's a lot of fun having a cheering section and it was super great having everyone see literally my worst game of the season.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bummer is you probably cant even go to them at half and tell them to take it easy as playoff seeding is determined by wins then second fewest goals against and these dudes are gonna try hard and love that you'll put in very few goals and have very little possession

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

As someone who started skating in his early 30's loving start as soon as you can if you get the itch.

I wish, I wish, I started in my teens. I'd be that much better now. But I didn't.

But I'm still glad I started in my early 30's than now because now I'm better than I would be if I just started.

Don't think about it, just take some skating lessons to get good enough to go forwards and backwards and stop shittily. Then find some local power skating club that'll take you on.

My power skating classes were for ages 6 and up. That meant I was a 31 year old dude getting out skated by a bunch of 6-10 year olds when I first started.

Now I can keep up with some of the average skaters in my local league instead of being the slowest and least agile guy on the ice.

Don't wait, just start because the sooner you do the better you'll be.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I think you guys are being too hard on yourselves, although I think hockey players tend to be more self-critical than other sports. Anyway, just play, do what you can to improve, and have fun. Revel in the awkwardness.

And I'm officially out for the month of February - after taking that puck to the knee 3 weeks ago my lower leg swells up like crazy and hurts like hell, even with just skating enough to coach.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Also being better doesnt make it any more fun, it’s about the friendships you make along the way

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

Also being better doesnt make it any more fun, it’s about the friendships you make along the way

:3:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

sellouts posted:

No but also yes

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

it doesn’t though????

playing well in whatever skill level you’re at is fun, but the people at gold / div 1 / whatever top tier league aren’t having categorically more fun than the bottom division.

playing well is about everything but when you started playing imo

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

We scrimmaged in my beginner hockey class last night and I still can’t do crossovers at all but I got two assists!

I also need to get my skates resharpened and I heard that making it shallower (to 1/2) will make it easier to find my edges?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Getting better would 100% make it more fun for me because I'm still at the lowest division at my rink and am still visibly the worst player on the ice in almost every game.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

sellouts posted:

it doesn’t though????

playing well in whatever skill level you’re at is fun, but the people at gold / div 1 / whatever top tier league aren’t having categorically more fun than the bottom division.

playing well is about everything but when you started playing imo

I say no but also yes because I find it very fun as I constantly getting better and more skilled. Not that I'm really good or anything just that when I do something I couldn't before it's fun.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
It's not about being better, it's about those moments when you finally see improvement aka, you make a really nice pass play with less time and thought, you deke a guy, you stop a guy on defense who is normally burning through people, catching a pass that's coming from behind. All those incremental successes/victories are what the game is all about. This game is hard for so many reasons. Finding those individual successes are what keeps us going.

Nothing makes me happier than to catch a feed pass from the d as I'm coming out of my zone only to one touch the puck back to the center ice to catch my center streaking up the neutral zone and blow by their team standing still.

I like challenging myself in those ways. "Let's try ... this" and then when it works, holy poo poo that's better than a goal.

My latest was coming into the zone over the blue line their first guy poke checks me and I put the puck between his legs and get around only to find myself facing their d man. I do a between the legs toe drag to the outside and get completely around him. I've never done this in a game before. Once I'm around him I notice my other winger sitting wide open back door. I fed him a backhand saucer pass right on the tape which he barely had to touch for the goal. I could have never done either of those moves individually let alone in rapid succession a few years back if I wasn't always playing with a training ball or trying that move in warmups. I'm not the greatest player on my team but to hear the guys losing their minds over the move/assist rather than the actual goal when I came back to the bench was a cool moment.

I feel the same way when I see teammates make great team plays and improve. Watching things click and seeing chemistry happen is easily one of the coolest parts of hockey. Sitting in the locker room drinking beers whole recounting the great plays that happened in another of my favorites.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

taco show posted:

We scrimmaged in my beginner hockey class last night and I still can’t do crossovers at all but I got two assists!

I also need to get my skates resharpened and I heard that making it shallower (to 1/2) will make it easier to find my edges?

You can try 5/8", lots of people use that. I actually went with 9/16 last time but I've used 5/8 for a long time. You can tweak your gear all you want but nothing helps more than putting reps in.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

Getting better would 100% make it more fun for me because I'm still at the lowest division at my rink and am still visibly the worst player on the ice in almost every game.

Trust me, you're not the worst.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Showed up to my game last night to find out that there were a bunch of youth hockey championship games going on that were running super late and that our game was going to be delayed 30 minutes. Half the players left because they didn’t want to be playing until 1040 on a Sunday night so it ended up being 6 players a side. I wanted to do 3 on 3 but the ref told us to try 5 on 5 for a bit so we played the whole time with one sub and 8 minutes shifts. Everything hurts today but I got a hat trick so it was worth it.

xzzy posted:

The worst player on the ice is always the player who’s slashing and playing like an absolute poo poo, not the lowest skilled player out there. Your teammates appreciate you trying your hardest, trust me.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
We started at 10:40 last night, didn't get home till almost 1:30. Surprisingly we had more people than normal. Still little sleep sucks. At least I had a nice goal with puck going exactly where I wanted it to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Uh yeah we have several games a season that start between 10-10:30. Those are extremely not fun, especially on Sunday nights. It takes me forever to wind down when I get home, plus the rink is 35 minutes away. Last night we had 9 players, the other team had 8.