Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

Yep same old same old, a record in the thread's favorite genre. How's everybody else doing tonight?

In my mind you found it in a thrift shop and I’m pumped.

Thrift shop scores are my only joy in life.

Help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

BigFactory posted:

In my mind you found it in a thrift shop and I’m pumped.

Thrift shop scores are my only joy in life.

Help

Wish I did but I don't see poo poo in thrift stores anymore period. Not just records, just a dearth of anything neat or cool that's worth buying. Idk if Goodwill has funneled everything to their auction site or what. Maybe I should find the time to stop into the Savers next town over. Next week I'll be in the area of an Amvets too, maybe I can get lucky there, it's just the relentless amount of nothing but literal junk has killed my enthusiasm to go.

Also because it amuses me, here's the image on the back of the Metal Slug Jacket.

:3:

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Haven't seen a decent thrift record in months, if not years. Plenty of copies of the mormon tabernacle choir if anyone needs a dozen or two though.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
My best thrift store find continues to be an almost-new copy of Laura Branigan's first album, and I don't see that changing any time soon!

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

The Numero 95 album cover is more ridiculous in hand than what you see in the pictures. Lots of die cuts and embossing and the label on the diskette is actually a label and not just printed on. If there is an industry award for best album cover I hope they won.

https://numerogroup.com/products/numero-95

funk_mata
Nov 1, 2005

I'm hot for you and you're hot for me--ooka dooka dicka dee.
Clapping Larry

CPL593H posted:

You can't have cool poo poo if you have kids. It's one or the other. This is especially true in the case of records because they loving destroy everything and how easy would it be for kids to ruin a vinyl record. Every kid under 12 perpetually has sticky hands. What are they even doing that makes their hands sticky all the time and how are they not constantly irritated by that? If hell exists it's an eternity of children having access to my record collection.

My dad will sometimes remind me of the time I was a toddler and thought it'd be a good idea to take a couple records from his copy of "Anthology of American Folk Music" and rub them against each other as hard as possible on top of a wooden table. I think he finally picked up a new copy of that record some twenty years later haha.

His cat also shredded the poo poo out of the spines of his records since they made a good (?) scratching post. I'm leery of ever owning a cat for this reason.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I found a picture of me from when I was, like, four where I'm standing in front of a television, but in the corner is a single, unprotected record just lying on the hardwood floor. :gonk:

Awww yeah, the new Oingo Boingo reissue just showed up on my door.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

sporklift posted:

The Numero 95 album cover is more ridiculous in hand than what you see in the pictures. Lots of die cuts and embossing and the label on the diskette is actually a label and not just printed on. If there is an industry award for best album cover I hope they won.

https://numerogroup.com/products/numero-95

Speak of the devil! I actually got this in the mail on Friday; the packaging is absolutely fantastic. Looks like that label does that, with cool gimmicky packaging.

Besides the Numero 95 album, the only other cool gimmick packaging I have is my Foodman album:

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 26, 2021

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Read After Burning posted:

Speak of the devil! I actually got this in the mail on Friday; the packaging is absolutely fantastic. Looks like that label does that, with cool gimmicky packaging.

Numero is up there as one of my favorite labels alongside LITA, and Colemine. They put out really good poo poo.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

sporklift posted:

Numero is up there as one of my favorite labels alongside LITA, and Colemine. They put out really good poo poo.

Facts right here, all 3 labels are stellar to work with too. I would also add Cultures of Soul to this list too.

SwimNurd fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 26, 2021

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I think the best gimmick packaging I’ve seen is by a Sydney band called Litter who put their record in a pizza box along with a disposable nappy, an old tampon box, a used coffee cup and other assorted bits of trash, all with the lyrics printed on them. The nappy had a very realistic looking stain. It was extremely impressive.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Creature posted:

I think the best gimmick packaging I’ve seen is by a Sydney band called Litter who put their record in a pizza box along with a disposable nappy, an old tampon box, a used coffee cup and other assorted bits of trash, all with the lyrics printed on them. The nappy had a very realistic looking stain. It was extremely impressive.

Yes realistic looking.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

German band Die Ärzte has also done the pizza box gimmick, with a pizza picture LP, and the set came with a tomato slice printed CD and a paper chili pepper that had the download code; as well as that there was an economy version with the cover hastily scribbled in pen and only the picture LP, looking like a plain flatbread.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

funk_mata posted:

My dad will sometimes remind me of the time I was a toddler and thought it'd be a good idea to take a couple records from his copy of "Anthology of American Folk Music" and rub them against each other as hard as possible on top of a wooden table. I think he finally picked up a new copy of that record some twenty years later haha.

His cat also shredded the poo poo out of the spines of his records since they made a good (?) scratching post. I'm leery of ever owning a cat for this reason.

My cat thinks he can scratch or climb my grill covers :( still trying to think of a good way to scare him out of it.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Boinks posted:

My cat thinks he can scratch or climb my grill covers :( still trying to think of a good way to scare him out of it.

I think they make a spray that is a mild irritant to stop cats from scratching things.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I'm really thinking of using this BSR McDonald just for playing my 78s. Could anybody point me toward a good source for a suitable cartridge or needle? It's a 6500 CX, BTW, in case anybody wants to caution me against using it or something.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

I'm really thinking of using this BSR McDonald just for playing my 78s. Could anybody point me toward a good source for a suitable cartridge or needle? It's a 6500 CX, BTW, in case anybody wants to caution me against using it or something.

I would think any conical stylus in your budget would work. It’s not like 78’s are known for amazing audio fidelity. Maybe I’m off though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

I would think any conical stylus in your budget would work. It’s not like 78’s are known for amazing audio fidelity. Maybe I’m off though.

If we're talking about shellac 78s a microgroove stylus isn't going to work properly.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Boinks posted:

get one of those spray bottles you can buy empty at the supermarket. either get some pure citrus oils in a small bottle or peel a few oranges and toss the rinds into the bottle. throw some water in the spray bottle (for citrus oil I do 30/70 oil to water) and shake it up, spray where you dont want the cat to go. it'll take a bit for the cat to realize whats going on, but if you keep the area well scented for a couple weeks they'll just stop messing with that area all together. Had to do it when one of our cats was digging holes into our carpets.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

dorium posted:

get one of those spray bottles you can buy empty at the supermarket. either get some pure citrus oils in a small bottle or peel a few oranges and toss the rinds into the bottle. throw some water in the spray bottle (for citrus oil I do 30/70 oil to water) and shake it up, spray where you dont want the cat to go. it'll take a bit for the cat to realize whats going on, but if you keep the area well scented for a couple weeks they'll just stop messing with that area all together. Had to do it when one of our cats was digging holes into our carpets.

Thanks for the advice. Ive got them on speaker stands, maybe I can spray the stands to keep them away and maybe the carpet in front of them.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

If we're talking about shellac 78s a microgroove stylus isn't going to work properly.

Jeez, this opens up a different can of worms then. I've been assuming all old 78s are shellac and I need to get a suitable needle but now that you mention it I don't really know. Maybe I can take a couple snapshots and see if there's any advice here.

For starters:

Or this:

Am I going to need a different needle for these, do you think?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Boinks posted:

Thanks for the advice. Ive got them on speaker stands, maybe I can spray the stands to keep them away and maybe the carpet in front of them.

Spraying the cats helps sometimes.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

petit choux posted:

Spraying the cats helps sometimes.

Yea it depends on what sorta training you’re doing. Also some people freak out about spraying cats, if I gotta do it I do it with the actual spray and not the stream and I sorta just spray around them and not directly at them. The real instigator of the two though knows the sound of the spray bottle trigger now and ceases her buffoonery before i even have to spray.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

petit choux posted:

Jeez, this opens up a different can of worms then. I've been assuming all old 78s are shellac and I need to get a suitable needle but now that you mention it I don't really know. Maybe I can take a couple snapshots and see if there's any advice here.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but in my experience, essentially all 78s use wider grooves, no matter if they are shellac or a different material. You shouldn't need to overthink it.

Every BSR turntable I've used has always had one of those flipper carts, with a dual-sided stylus for playing 33/45 and 78. It looks like this:
https://www.amazon.com/banpa-Turntable-Cartridge-Replacement-BP2ATC/dp/B071WMFGHL/

However, these are usually cheaper BSRs that are built into consoles and your turntable seems to be a little more upscale than those. I'm not sure what cartridge yours has, but you might be able to find a 78rpm stylus for it. I was tasked with ripping a lot of 78s last year and I bought one of these to fit my AT95E. If you can't find one, you can buy a cheap one with a flipper cart and it should work fine. 78's aren't exactly known for their high fidelity. I felt bad spending $30 on my 78rpm stylus, to be honest.

Also, this is rad:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

petit choux posted:

For starters:

Or this:

Nothing pre-1948 will be made of vinyl though shellac 78s were made into the early 50s. But also this:

wa27 posted:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but in my experience, essentially all 78s use wider grooves, no matter if they are shellac or a different material. You shouldn't need to overthink it.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

wa27 posted:

So I guess I should use what's appropriate for shellac records for all 78s as a rule of thumb, then? Is that what you're saying?

quote:

Every BSR turntable I've used has always had one of those flipper carts, with a dual-sided stylus for playing 33/45 and 78. It looks like this:
https://www.amazon.com/banpa-Turntable-Cartridge-Replacement-BP2ATC/dp/B071WMFGHL/

However, these are usually cheaper BSRs that are built into consoles and your turntable seems to be a little more upscale than those. I'm not sure what cartridge yours has, but you might be able to find a 78rpm stylus for it. I was tasked with ripping a lot of 78s last year and I bought one of these to fit my AT95E. If you can't find one, you can buy a cheap one with a flipper cart and it should work fine. 78's aren't exactly known for their high fidelity. I felt bad spending $30 on my 78rpm stylus, to be honest.
Okay, I guess I'll see what it comes with then before I buy anything. Yeah, 78s mostly sound pretty poor IME, they also hadn't developed mixers really yet, for one thing. I would like to take a dive into the ones I have though, see what I can learn.

quote:

Also, this is rad:

I liked the cover art and that was before I saw it was a pretty well known conductor as well. If it plays I'm interested.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 27, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

:rock:

I'm glad they re-pressed this one recently...prices for the original on Discogs were quite high, last time I checked.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I got my crocodiles.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Ha, I'm actually grabbing the re-press of that one when I get paid next week.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

petit choux posted:

So I guess I should use what's appropriate for shellac records for all 78s as a rule of thumb, then? Is that what you're saying?

Yeah. It's less to do with the material of the record and more to do with how wide the grooves are. A "modern" microgroove stylus will ride too deep in the grooves and pick up more noise on playback. Just get something advertised as a "78 rpm stylus" and you should be good.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Read After Burning posted:

:rock:

I'm glad they re-pressed this one recently...prices for the original on Discogs were quite high, last time I checked.

At this point the bottom shelf price for anything that wasn't top 40 is about 40 bucks and that's usually in G or lower condition.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

That etched 78 is really cool.

My uncle had a couple old maple slabs sitting in his garage that he gifted me so I took them down to Creative Woodworking NW and had them flattened. Then I spent a week sanding and finishing them. One of them got turned into the top of my DJ setup. It is on top of a 4x2 Kallax. Once I move my music room out of the dungeon I'll post better pictures but turned out pretty rad.

Got my covid booster and then that Nick Cave box set showed up today. Good day.

I was worried it might be too much Nick Cave, but no, it is not enough Nick Cave.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

sporklift posted:

That etched 78 is really cool.

My uncle had a couple old maple slabs sitting in his garage that he gifted me so I took them down to Creative Woodworking NW and had them flattened. Then I spent a week sanding and finishing them. One of them got turned into the top of my DJ setup. It is on top of a 4x2 Kallax. Once I move my music room out of the dungeon I'll post better pictures but turned out pretty rad.

Got my covid booster and then that Nick Cave box set showed up today. Good day.

I was worried it might be too much Nick Cave, but no, it is not enough Nick Cave.

I can't say I've ever been Nick Caved out. But a man's got to know his limitations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

wa27 posted:

Yeah. It's less to do with the material of the record and more to do with how wide the grooves are. A "modern" microgroove stylus will ride too deep in the grooves and pick up more noise on playback. Just get something advertised as a "78 rpm stylus" and you should be good.

Sweet. Well I've now read a lot of disparaging remarks about BSR McDonald turntables online but at least as of right now I'll have something for the 78s and I never have before. I don't think most of them are very high quality recordings, it being BE (Before Electrovoice) but I wanted to digitize some of them pretty badly for a little while.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Anybody up for a $500 copy of White Blood Cells by the White Stripes.

Because Electric Record Company thinks so.

This is one of those "if you can choose to afford this, you have too much money" moments. Just get a cheap $23 copy. You could get 10 and it would still be cheaper!

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Does it have any of Jack or megs blood cells pressed in the wax or am I just trying to make a lame joke about the flaming lips.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

white blood stamper

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
They should use some of that money to hire someone to code their site to render properly on mobile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The regular retail pressings were cut from the analog tapes. I remember this vividly because Jack White made a whole announcement of it when he reissued the first three albums and said how he always wanted them to be all analog pressings but when they made those it was too expensive so all previous pressings were from digital masters. lol