Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Geez I remember those being cheap as poo poo in Japan and no one really wanting them because they were like a has been sports car, everyone wanted Skylines and RX7's instead. One of my supervisors drove one and we made fun of him cuz it had the classic 280 rear end sag, and every time he hit the gas it sagged even lower then back up :v:

The 82-83 Turbo 280ZX were pretty nice and to this day I'd like one, but the standard NA models were pretty heavy and under powered, even for the time and like you said rear suspension was soft as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

angryrobots posted:

It's my MO to make clear as a seller that it's first come with cash, unless stated otherwise.

Y'know I did this once and was told it was a big no-no. :v:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Coredump posted:

Y'know I did this once and was told it was a big no-no. :v:

No one else sets up an in-person bidding war in a cop shop parking lot you weirdo.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Elviscat posted:

No one else sets up an in-person bidding war in a cop shop parking lot you weirdo.

I literally told the buyers who ever got to me first with cash gets the car. Same as angryrobots. I just had 3 pages of people texting me at once when I posted the ad within 15 minutes. It got hectic quick. That's not me trying arrange an in-person bidding war or being a weirdo.

I thought meeting near the cops is advised when doing Craigslist deals? I know some of the precincts in my area have special places in their parking lots for buyers and sellers to meet up for doing craigslist/facebook deals.

To give you an idea of how many people contacted me in 15 minutes each square you see is a different person texting me:

I wasn't trying to setup a "bidding war" my phone was literally alerting faster than I could keep up with. Once I had that many people in the first 15 minutes I knew I was in trouble and wanted to get ahead of it quick. I couldn't even tell who contacted me first as messages got shuffled by whoever texting me last going to the top and repeated messages from interested buyers. I did my best. But that makes me weird?

Coredump fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 9, 2021

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yes

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You done hosed up on so many levels, it's not even funny. But so did I, when selling my race-ready 240 for an attractive amount. Feel your pain. Let's move on.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Nitrox posted:

Let's move on.

Lets.

Please get back to posting some dumb poo poo you found on craigslist/FBM.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Coredump posted:

I literally told the buyers who ever got to me first with cash gets the car. Same as angryrobots.

I'll risk a probe to clarify that the post of mine you quoted was in reply to the concurrent discussion about agreeing to a price before meeting up, and the potential liability of that being a contract.

I would never under any circumstance arrange to meet multiple interested parties at the same time.

1986 VW Volkswagen "2DR" Jetta VR6 Rare, Track/Drag Car - $7,500

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 9, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This thing is apparently on FB marketplace, I don't have a link since it was reposted on reddit. But someone should find and buy the El Miatino.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What in the hell is that abomination :v:

I've had multiple buyers at once interested in cars I'm selling before, I just decide who I want to see the car first and next for whatever reason it doesn't really matter because I'm in control who sees the car.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Applebees Appetizer posted:

What in the hell is that abomination :v:

Australian Miata.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Miatute was right there.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Nitrox posted:

You done hosed up on so many levels, it's not even funny. But so did I, when selling my race-ready 240 for an attractive amount. Feel your pain. Let's move on.
How did I gently caress up on "so many levels" :rolleyes: This was aimed at you LAST TIME this came up:

Adiabatic posted:

God damnit I came in here all excited about finally probating some rear end in a top hat and you have to go and apologize to him. I hope you at least learned an important lesson on being "in the right" and morally superior to the guy talking about selling his car in the thread for talking about cars being sold.

angryrobots posted:

I'll risk a probe to clarify that the post of mine you quoted was in reply to the concurrent discussion about agreeing to a price before meeting up, and the potential liability of that being a contract.

I would never under any circumstance arrange to meet multiple interested parties at the same time.
How is the person not going to be the first with cash if you're telling this to one person at a time? If one buyer flakes at agreed upon time but then tries to show up later you run the risk of two buyers showing up at the same time.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Oh good, it’s time for one of SA’s tropes to emerge, the always fun captain hindsight, accompanied by lieutenant victim blaming

Coredump posted:

And I said I would space them out next time like you said so I’ve learned my lesson. I don’t know what more you want at this point.
But yeah like I said last time, if I've ever in that situation again, which is doubtful, I'll space them out.

I feel like I should be able to respond to the posters above. I've said my peace so I'll move on.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Coredump fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 9, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Krakkles posted:

Miatute was right there.

If it was in Alaska, it'd be a Miatamute.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Oh the topic of questionable buyers/sellers in general, my dad held an auction a few months back (yes, I'm aware how terrible of an idea it was to have an auction sale), sold a few old cars and some memorabilia. One of the stipulations from the auction company was that there could be no other vehicles advertised for sale within some distance of the auction, like maybe a quarter mile. What it amounted to was that people couldn't show up for the auction and be advertising their cars for sale. Hearing that, I thought "huh, people show up to someone else's auction wanting to hawk their own poo poo in the parking lot?" I was skeptical, but was assured it was a thing.

Holy poo poo, was it a thing. We had family members helping out with parking, who were on watch for people putting up "for sale" signs in their cars. The amount of vitriol some of the people would direct at a 16-year-old girl for telling them they couldn't do something they wanted to do was amazing. I had other jobs that day but I saw a guy park and immediately put a "for sale" sign up in his window (after my relatives letting people into the parking area told him not to specifically), and I walked over and told him he could park there but he had to take the sign down. He swore up and down that (name of my dad) was a personal friend of his and that he was told he could have his sign up. I just told him that it was a fine story, but it wasn't my dad's rule, it was the auction company's and as a condition of the auction, he had to take the sign down. He did go and take the sign down after that, but there were a bunch of similar stories throughout the day. Some people completely have no idea how to react when told "No."

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Huh, I did not know that.

I guess it's kind of like having a garage/yard sale and all the neighbors asking to put their poo poo in your driveway.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

slidebite posted:

Huh, I did not know that.

I guess it's kind of like having a garage/yard sale and all the neighbors asking to put their poo poo in your driveway.

Yeah, neither did I. At first thought, it's not a dumb idea, you know a certain type of thing is being sold (old cars), you have one like it, and maybe you keep an eye on who's bidding at the auction and say you'll sell them one like it, or just put up a sign and see if there's interest. Doesn't cost anything.

But just the sheer indignant fury at being told "No" was amazing. The owner of the auctioneer company said that if we have a problem (ie, someone absolutely refuses) they'd call the car out and halt the auction. They'd apparently done it before, but all we had was people being children.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

boxen posted:

Some people completely have no idea how to react when told "No."

When I did security that was basically my job, telling people no they can't do that.

On busy days I'd be getting into confrontations all night long with people having temper tantrums because they were told no.

I've had my life threatened over parking. Yep.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

boxen posted:

Oh the topic of questionable buyers/sellers in general, my dad held an auction a few months back (yes, I'm aware how terrible of an idea it was to have an auction sale), sold a few old cars and some memorabilia. One of the stipulations from the auction company was that there could be no other vehicles advertised for sale within some distance of the auction, like maybe a quarter mile. What it amounted to was that people couldn't show up for the auction and be advertising their cars for sale. Hearing that, I thought "huh, people show up to someone else's auction wanting to hawk their own poo poo in the parking lot?" I was skeptical, but was assured it was a thing.

Holy poo poo, was it a thing. We had family members helping out with parking, who were on watch for people putting up "for sale" signs in their cars. The amount of vitriol some of the people would direct at a 16-year-old girl for telling them they couldn't do something they wanted to do was amazing. I had other jobs that day but I saw a guy park and immediately put a "for sale" sign up in his window (after my relatives letting people into the parking area told him not to specifically), and I walked over and told him he could park there but he had to take the sign down. He swore up and down that (name of my dad) was a personal friend of his and that he was told he could have his sign up. I just told him that it was a fine story, but it wasn't my dad's rule, it was the auction company's and as a condition of the auction, he had to take the sign down. He did go and take the sign down after that, but there were a bunch of similar stories throughout the day. Some people completely have no idea how to react when told "No."

I don't understand. What right does your dad or the auction company have to stop people from putting for sale signs on their cars within a certain distance? Were they doing it on your dad's property?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's actually an interesting point.

For example, assuming the father doesn't own the property on the other side of the street from the auction, it's not like anyone can stop someone on their own private property from putting a for sale sign up. I guess if that means the auction has to pack it up because that's "their rules" , well, that's their decision. But if I own the land across the street and I have a car for sale in my front yard nobody is going to tell me I can't short of some sort of municipal by-law.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't understand. What right does your dad or the auction company have to stop people from putting for sale signs on their cars within a certain distance? Were they doing it on your dad's property?

For a little more background, I don't remember the exact details, but something like a quarter mile was the distance, maybe only a few hundred yards. The auction was on my parents' property, way out in the country, very rural area. Parking was in a field. The stipulation very well could have been for vehicles on my dad's property only, now that I think about it I don't think we gave a poo poo about people parking on the road.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Craigslist Gold Gloves - SCREENSHOT YOUR POLICE REPORTS

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The desire to fly cross country for this is pretty strong:

Elephanthead posted:

Craigslist Gold Gloves - SCREENSHOT YOUR POLICE REPORTS
Y'know they never gave me a copy of any.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 11, 2021

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Coredump posted:

The desire to fly cross country for this is pretty strong:

Y'know they never gave me a copy of any.
nobody's going to chase you down to give you a copy of the report. You have to get it yourself once it's properly filed. And it's likely to be available online as well

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Nitrox posted:

nobody's going to chase you down to give you a copy of the report. You have to get it yourself once it's properly filed. And it's likely to be available online as well
I’m not really worried about it. I thought you wanted to move on.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 11, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oh hell yeah, real gold.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rbYBggXk/1992-plymouth-colt-vista-awd

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I spent enough time on honda-tech as a teen to convince myself the Wagovan looks cool, and that thing (which I've never heard of before) looks even cooler

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/san-francisco-gran-torino/7276034398.html

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Haha, saw a couple like this at the dsm shootout 15ish years ago. Pretty hilarious swaps but the motors bolt right in. Making it awd though is pretty wild.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
They came with AWD (optionally).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Q_res posted:

They came with AWD (optionally).

Didn't know that. Guess that would make converting easier even though the stock parts probably aren't good for that kind of power.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Suburban Dad posted:

Didn't know that. Guess that would make converting easier even though the stock parts probably aren't good for that kind of power.

IIRC the AWD versions of these cars had live axle rears while the FWDs had IRS, it might not have been that easy to convert.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The 5 speed is the conversion, not the AWD.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Man that's badass.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

That was a pretty good Roadkill episode.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I'd buy it. There's no PO surprises with a RK car, you know it was hacked to hell but you know exactly what they hacked and how/why.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Suburban Dad posted:

They came with that engine stock in Japan so the parts are all available.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

dissss posted:

They came with that engine stock in Japan so the parts are all available.

:aaa:

if you guys could stop making me look ignorant that'd be great, haha. :v: I knew about dsm stuff at one point but not weird and neat little bishi vans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/1980-grand-marquis-7-inch-lift-on-35-s/1552331945