Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.
Aluminum yeah. It still has a few passes in the mills yet so it wasn't damanged. The truck basically fell into a shallow cut out for the coil cart. You have to center yourself before you pull forward. This guy is new and came in at an angle

*edit* hey new page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Oh hey he came back:

Gonna be fun getting that bolt out!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Shai-Hulud posted:

Oh hey he came back:

UPS package car maintenance is insane. On the old stovebolt-six package cars, one guy could top-to-bottom finish an engine swap in less than six hours. That's probably less than an hour of work for them.

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.
It's been a good day for mechanical failures at work. The bottom spindle hub on my mill just chewed the gears up something gnarly. Gonna be down probably the rest of the day. At least it's payday and Friday! :toot:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Shai-Hulud posted:

Sadly i didn't get a picture but UPS just delivered a package and something was off about the car. so i told the guy "Uh your shocks' loose" "Oh yeah it rattles a bit, dont worry about it" "No i mean its loose. The bolt sheared off. Its freely swinging under the car"
Great thing is he had it in for service because of the rattling sound a couple days earlier and they couldn't find anything wrong with it...
Didn't stop him from blasting of and doing the rest of his deliveries either...

Shai-Hulud posted:

Oh hey he came back:

UPS package cars are insanely overbuilt. They also ride about as smooth as a horse drawn wagon going through a field of boulders - when they're loaded to capacity. If they're unloaded, they ride about like a boulder slamming into a cliff.

He'll also get bitched out if he doesn't finish all of his deliveries. So yeah... it'll be like that for quite awhile, since the same driver gets the same package car every day. Once the right person is made aware of it, it'll be fixed in a couple of hours, but good luck with that. Besides, it's on the passenger side... nobody ever sits in the passenger jump seat unless it's the holidays. :v:

(former UPS employee here....)

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'm curious to see if it's still broken next week's when he comes around again.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

This week has a been a fantastic week for horrible failures at work.

There was a bearing here, it's gone now:

Also, One motor, extra crispy, with windings on the side for dipping?

There was also an additional puddle of copper goo underneath it.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

HVAC equipment?

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003

ExplodingSims posted:

This week has a been a fantastic week for horrible failures at work.

There was a bearing here, it's gone now:

Also, One motor, extra crispy, with windings on the side for dipping?

There was also an additional puddle of copper goo underneath it.

good grief where's your current protection

those wires aren't supposed to get so hot they melt in half

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah it's AC Stuff. It counts as automotive if it's at an Autozone right?

For the record those are two separate units. It's not that the bearing caused the motor to melt.

PromethiumX posted:

good grief where's your current protection

those wires aren't supposed to get so hot they melt in half

Hey I'm not the one who installed it. I'm sure the electrician who put it on a 150A breaker knew what he was doing!
Although according to the maintenance man the store got a crazy power surge from a lightening storm, but I'd think that would do more than just melt the motor in one unit.

Also, I don't think things are supposed to be able to get hot enough to liquefy the innards of a motor either. :v:

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 9, 2017

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Came across this poor guy the other day.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

n0tqu1tesane posted:

This reminds me, I started going to the local road course a bit ago to do autocross stuff. A kid gave me a ride around the track in his Integra to show me around and give advice on how to attack the turns, since like me he also has an MR2 (being fixed so not there that weekend). As we got to the third to last corner, there was a loud bang and the car just stopped. Turns out the ball joint on the drivers side front tire sheared off and the tire came almost completely off the car. In fact it was only the wheel embedding itself into the fender that stopped it from flying off the car.

That was my first experience on a race track. Thankfully my SW20 gave me zero issues and I met my goal of not liftoff oversteering myself into a spin like a noob.

The kid went to the parts store woth hos dad and fixed everything in a matter of a few hours and drove it home. Makes me wish I had that sort of mechanical wisdom.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
My ex was driving across the US one winter when she heard a grinding noise and pulled off. When the tow guys hooked it up, the entire wheel fell off. I forget the exact damage diagnosis, but the punchline is she got the car fixed and continued to drive it until Chicago snow plows totaled it 3 years later.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
On my dad's work-supplied van a few vans ago (1998 E250, electrician) the entire rear passenger axle snapped and fell off about a foot from the hub. Mechanic at the time said the brake was probably dragging, causing overheating that fatigued the already-overstressed axle.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Is that grease? It sort of looks like it but you don't usually see zerks on motors that small. Either way, that kind of thing is usually a result of someone absolutely greasing the everloving gently caress out of the bearings; which is also why sealed bearings are better than greaseable bearings for most of applications.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

No, that's not grease. That's the copper windings inside that melted and are running out of the unit. They cooled off so they solidified into those slag bits.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Holy poo poo. I bet that smelled lovely. :barf:

You're replacing the breaker and inspecting the wiring too, right?

ExplodingSims posted:

150A breaker

:stonkhat:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

On my dad's work-supplied van a few vans ago (1998 E250, electrician) the entire rear passenger axle snapped and fell off about a foot from the hub. Mechanic at the time said the brake was probably dragging, causing overheating that fatigued the already-overstressed axle.

I had a bearing go bad in my Cutlass' rear axle. I thought it was the front wheel bearing, replaced that, then could not figure out where the noise was still coming from. I was doing slow circles in the parking lot with the door open trying to pinpoint the noise, when the left rear axle, brake drum, and tire slid out of the axle housing. The axle is retained by the bearing in "O" type axles in A-bodies, and that one finally gave up. Thankfully, I was barely moving, in a parking lot. It didn't damage the axle, either. One visit to the auto parts store and use of their bearing press service later, and I was back in business. As I recall, I'm still on that same bearing, even.
Pedal went a bit further than normal with the rear drum not containing the brake shoes... Fortunately, I didn't pop the wheel cylinder pistons out. I had to laugh a little seeing it sit there on the backing plate, with the axle just barely in the tube. At least I knew where the problem was, finally.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

ExplodingSims posted:

No, that's not grease. That's the copper windings inside that melted and are running out of the unit. They cooled off so they solidified into those slag bits.

Haha holy poo poo. I'm surprised the bearings didn't seize up before hand :stonk:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

I had a bearing go bad in my Cutlass' rear axle. I thought it was the front wheel bearing, replaced that, then could not figure out where the noise was still coming from. I was doing slow circles in the parking lot with the door open trying to pinpoint the noise, when the left rear axle, brake drum, and tire slid out of the axle housing. The axle is retained by the bearing in "O" type axles in A-bodies, and that one finally gave up. Thankfully, I was barely moving, in a parking lot. It didn't damage the axle, either. One visit to the auto parts store and use of their bearing press service later, and I was back in business. As I recall, I'm still on that same bearing, even.
Pedal went a bit further than normal with the rear drum not containing the brake shoes... Fortunately, I didn't pop the wheel cylinder pistons out. I had to laugh a little seeing it sit there on the backing plate, with the axle just barely in the tube. At least I knew where the problem was, finally.

Uhhhh maybe I should replace my bad rear wheel bearing on my old Ford, since it's also not a c-clip axle and has been grumbling for a few years.

Wait, was it just the bearing keeping everything in, or is there a bearing plate bolted over the bearing to the axle tube flange to retain everything?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Ford ball joints strike again, I can id them from a mile away from the creaking.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Malfunctioning toll booth vs angry grandpa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO04QmV97mk&feature=youtu.be

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Toll booths still take cash? :stare:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Illinois tolls still have coin catchers for tolls as high as $2.80...

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Why don't they just do it electronically? Sensors and cameras, with transponders inside the cars? Would there be problems with people taking off/not having license plates going through them?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Memento posted:

Why don't they just do it electronically? Sensors and cameras, with transponders inside the cars? Would there be problems with people taking off/not having license plates going through them?

A lot of places have a system like what you describe and still take cash for people who don't have a transponder.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like how the ones in Denver do it, they scan your plate, look you up, and send a bill. Great for tourists because they don't need the transponder installed.

As much as anyone can enjoy paying tolls that is.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The transponders like EZpass are also a racket. You have to keep them preloaded and can't just pay a bill at the end of the month.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Here in Oz it's now on a system that if you don't have a transponder you login to pay within three days.

Just takes a scan of your license plate as you drive through.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Memento posted:

That's how every toll system in TX does it now, AFAIK. You get a bill in the mail (... eventually. it might take a few weeks, it might take over a year, but you'll eventually get a bill with a shitload of late fees added on and oh good luck getting those fees removed even if it took us 3 years to send a ream of paper for an invoice, gently caress you NTTA) if you don't have a transponder.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Toll booths still take cash? :stare:
Apparently not.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Boogalo posted:

The transponders like EZpass are also a racket. You have to keep them preloaded and can't just pay a bill at the end of the month.

how is that a "racket" I put $25 on mine then don't worry about it for several months or more I think you can go as low as like $10 for preloading.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Memento posted:

LA does this, they charge you $1/month to have an account, will only send you a paper bill quarterly unless you pay extra for monthly, then if you have a question about your bill good luck because the system the phone operators use only goes back 90 days. If you had a charge at the beginning of the quarter you believe to be incorrect they have to do research. They get really annoyed at you for having a question like "91 days ago you read me as HOV3 on the entry, no-transponder a mile later, then HOV3 again at exit, can you please reverse the $3 toll?"

And of course they're replacing all carpool lanes with this $1/month transponder nonsense.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

n0tqu1tesane posted:

He's probably on the phone or something, but at the small size of the picture, the position of his arm and the way he's leaning over examining it makes it look like he's pensively scratching his chin. "Hmmm ... What seems to be the problem? Oh, I see. It's hosed. Possibly turbofucked."

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Delivery McGee posted:

He's probably on the phone or something, but at the small size of the picture, the position of his arm and the way he's leaning over examining it makes it look like he's pensively scratching his chin. "Hmmm ... What seems to be the problem? Oh, I see. It's hosed. Possibly turbofucked."

Yeah, he was on the phone. Staying in the theme of the thread, he was probably calling a buddy to see how many zip-ties they were going to need to get it back on the road.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Enourmo posted:

Ford ball joints strike again, I can id them from a mile away from the creaking.

Speaking of which, I heard a Ranger of that vintage creaking as it made its way through a parking lot. And here I was thinking it was some sort of shock/spring issue.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

Uhhhh maybe I should replace my bad rear wheel bearing on my old Ford, since it's also not a c-clip axle and has been grumbling for a few years.

Wait, was it just the bearing keeping everything in, or is there a bearing plate bolted over the bearing to the axle tube flange to retain everything?

There is a retainer plate, but it only captures the outer race. The bearing separated, so out came the axle.

(from here)

It's kind of annoying when the seal leaks, because you have to replace the retaining collar as well at the very least.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

There is a retainer plate, but it only captures the outer race. The bearing separated, so out came the axle.

(from here)

It's kind of annoying when the seal leaks, because you have to replace the retaining collar as well at the very least.

Yeah, I see what you mean. The Ford way is a bit different (the axle seal is pounded into the axle tube, and the bearing is outside the seal and is a sealed bearing) but yeah I bet it would fail in a similar manner.

Only reason I haven't done mine is because the axle shaft itself is bent, and it's been kinda hard to track down a new one. I'm sure the bearing is bad due to the bent axle, so I don't want to replace one without the other. Sounds like I definitely should do that before driving it much longer, though :ohdear:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

Yeah, I see what you mean. The Ford way is a bit different (the axle seal is pounded into the axle tube, and the bearing is outside the seal and is a sealed bearing) but yeah I bet it would fail in a similar manner.

Only reason I haven't done mine is because the axle shaft itself is bent, and it's been kinda hard to track down a new one. I'm sure the bearing is bad due to the bent axle, so I don't want to replace one without the other. Sounds like I definitely should do that before driving it much longer, though :ohdear:

That's the 1970 Olds axle. The 67-69 axle is like you describe, with the seal inside of the bearing, which would have been far less annoying when I had to replace a leaking seal to satisfy the annual safety inspection. My '79 RX-7 also does is that way, and in fact the Mazda rearend is pretty much a 3/4 scale Ford 9" (6"? heh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Holy poo poo. I bet that smelled lovely. :barf:

You're replacing the breaker and inspecting the wiring too, right?

:stonkhat:

Well, I did replace the wires, and fixed everything on my end.
I told their facilities guy the breaker was way too big, so that's on him now.

SPOILER: Nothing will change

But I got the new motor in there looking purdy:

And some more carnange shots of the old motor:

And what happens when you throw a motor off a roof? Concrete wins:

In other failures, I found this on a different unit. Brand new store, had a 2016 Unit on it.

Terminal got blown out, cracked the ceramic plug, and lost the whole refrigerant charge.
Be careful with that electricity kids!