Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Drake_263 posted:

Keep in mind that I haven't actually played 30K - so I might have mistakes in here - but from what I hear Alpharius is also the trolliest of Primachs.

First off, mind fuckery.

Second off, more mind fuckery.

Haha holy poo poo, that sounds too fun to pass up. I was still on the fence but even if I prefer their fluff, Sons of Horus and IF are going to have to wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah I need to start assembling my AL dudes, I have enough bitz now. That's hilarious.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Alpha Legion basically are Goons In Games, The Legion.

I'm surprised it's taken this long for this to be recognised and take off.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Copypasted from his 1d4chan article:

An excitable ham posted:

While not a monster of close combat like other primarchs, Alpharius gives candy to his army while loving with the opponent's like no one but him can. (That being said, even the worst of combat primarchs will whomp just about anything else.)

Sire of the Alpha Legion grants all Alpha Legion units Preferred Enemy (Everything) and gives Alpharius Counter Attack, Move through Cover, Scout, and Crusader- but not right away. You see, after both sides deploy he can opt out of deploying normally or via deep striking and choose to hide in any of your units disguised as a generic model, but can reveal himself starting at turn 2 (and does so automatically at turn 5) for all of the above buffs. If the unit he's hiding in is falling back when he reveals himself, it auto-rallies, and if it's destroyed while he's still hiding, he just goes into reserves.

He can seize initiative on a 4+, give units arriving via Outflank a +d3 movement bonus, and best of all if an enemy unit is successfully brought in from reserves and your army has an identical version of that same type also in reserve, roll a d6- on a 4+, the opponent brings in your unit instead.

The Pythian Scales gives him 2+ armour save and 4+ invulnerable save and also ignores the effects of Poison and Fleshbane. Not bad. His weapon, The Pale Spear doesn't boost his Strength, but it does have AP1, Armourbane, and Instant Death along with Two-Handed. He also has the following equipment: Venom Spheres, Master-Crafted Plasma Blaster, Cognis Signum, Nuncio Vox and Camelioline, making him quite the force multiplier and adaptable to a variety of strategies.

Edit: I've gotten the picture that most Legion units aren't quite as customizable as 40K Marine squads, so the 'identical version' clause shouldn't be quite as much of a hindrance as it sounds like. Also perfect for loving around with a player who you know loves a certain kind of a unit.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 24, 2015

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
At first I really liked that I can use Gal Vorbak or some other kick-rear end looking unit, but now I like that Alpharius rule. I need to get around to reading my HH3 book.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Having a bit of a clear out again, and as I never throw away books, I thought I'd ask if anyone wants 'Eye of Terror' by Barrington J. Bayley - listed as out of stock on the BL site.
As it was going to goto charity along with all my other junk, I don't want anything for it - just somewhere to post it (In the UK preferably ! )

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
the dark angels codex is a predictably mediocre c+p complete with entries for wargear that no models can actually take, etc. rad grenade launchers got "updated" to the new type which was a straight nerf, stasis shells are still the same. at least the ravenwing bike units got a better special rule to make up for their relatively high point cost (which remains basically the same across the board).

deathwing knights got a very nice buff but i'm not really sure how deathwing is supposed to operate in general anymore

the lovely land speeder variants are a little less lovely but not really. 120 points for a flying cardboard box with a glorified plasma cannon strapped on top just doesn't seem great but the stealther one could definitely be pretty solid in a jinking ravenwing army

the lovely flyers are a little less lovely, nephilim can like almost shoot down flyers but it's not exactly amazing at it, even with the buffed missiles. dark talon still seems stupid and useless

ravenwing's probably the way to go with the jink rerolls

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Renfield posted:

Having a bit of a clear out again, and as I never throw away books, I thought I'd ask if anyone wants 'Eye of Terror' by Barrington J. Bayley - listed as out of stock on the BL site.
As it was going to goto charity along with all my other junk, I don't want anything for it - just somewhere to post it (In the UK preferably ! )

I'll have it if nobody else has claimed it, I'm a sucker for older BL fiction.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Lungboy posted:

I'll have it if nobody else has claimed it, I'm a sucker for older BL fiction.

shoot me an email at autakus at gamerarmy dot com

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Eye of Terror is an adorably bad old BL book. Like, crazy awful. You'd buy it for the same reason you'd buy some movies - Because it passes so far into deadpan, taking-itself-seriously stupid into being good for being bad.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Aleth posted:

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Imperial-Guard-Cadian-Heavy-Weapon-Squad

There are loads of heavy weapons in there that you can spike up if you're not fussed about fancy backpacks. I think it's 3 of each of heavy bolters, autocannons, missile launchers, lascannons and mortars.

Not a bad source for weapons if you have a use for all 4 types but I think they would be quite hard to convert for carriage by space marine models - the ml comes molded to a Cadian arm, the others are all very boxy shaped with long barrels etc. Better to get weapons designed for the power armoured models imo. Hbs and autocannons look much better in that underslung look imo

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Genghis Cohen posted:

Not a bad source for weapons if you have a use for all 4 types but I think they would be quite hard to convert for carriage by space marine models - the ml comes molded to a Cadian arm, the others are all very boxy shaped with long barrels etc. Better to get weapons designed for the power armoured models imo. Hbs and autocannons look much better in that underslung look imo

This is true, I really like the look of the official GW Havoc Squad weapons, but heck if I'm going to pay so much for so little.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
So, odd question here. Say you shoot at a squad of Ravenwing bikers with something that does not penetrate their armor, and the unit is jinking. What save do they use? Do they have to use the best save available to them? If so, then do they use their armor save of 3+, or the jink of 4+? The standard armor roll is better, but the jink becomes better when you factor in the reroll.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
You have to use the best save available I believe.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Phyresis posted:

the dark angels codex is a predictably mediocre c+p complete with entries for wargear that no models can actually take, etc. rad grenade launchers got "updated" to the new type which was a straight nerf, stasis shells are still the same. at least the ravenwing bike units got a better special rule to make up for their relatively high point cost (which remains basically the same across the board).

deathwing knights got a very nice buff but i'm not really sure how deathwing is supposed to operate in general anymore

the lovely land speeder variants are a little less lovely but not really. 120 points for a flying cardboard box with a glorified plasma cannon strapped on top just doesn't seem great but the stealther one could definitely be pretty solid in a jinking ravenwing army

the lovely flyers are a little less lovely, nephilim can like almost shoot down flyers but it's not exactly amazing at it, even with the buffed missiles. dark talon still seems stupid and useless

ravenwing's probably the way to go with the jink rerolls

It's a sight better than the old book, but it ruined DW as a full-on army. Marine-centric/Ravenwing are definitely solid options, and if you mix DW in there you'll at least get SOME use out of terminators. Knights got a sideways upgrade--their maces being AP3 is nice, but they lost the ability to kill superheavies with a sea of S10 AP2 attacks. Cheaper than hammernators though.

Most RW models got a points reduction, which while only a 2pt drop, helps alleviate some of the pain. Given that they have H&R, scout, and reroll jink saves, 4pts above vanilla bikes seem more or less fine.

The LSV has a use in the Ravenwing Support Squadron formation, as that gives it Interceptor. It's still too much for what will usually blow itself up, but dropping a pie plate on something DSing nearby has its uses.

The Nephilim can actually do its job now, unlike before, so it went from bad to mediocre. The Dark Talon is much better, since its weapon is S10 AP2; the only problem really, is the small range and blast. It can't do poo poo to Invisible units, meaning its ability to wreck most deathstars is limited.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

serious gaylord posted:

You have to use the best save available I believe.

One again though, this is GW text. "Best" may or may not assume the reroll and ultimately that would likely be up to you. If your opponent wants to be a massive rear end in a top hat and force the issue just "ask the wizard" and roll a d6, 1-3 for them 4-6 for you.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Renfield posted:

shoot me an email at autakus at gamerarmy dot com

I just tried but Gmail bounced it, says that address doesn't exist.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

They specifically called that out in the old Necron FAQ with regards to the Lychguard's dispersion shields. They said you couldn't deliberately use the 4++ to get the bouncy shield effect if the attack allowed the 3+ to be used. I realise how it is with wording and what not but it's at least useful for a guideline.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Fuegan posted:

They specifically called that out in the old Necron FAQ with regards to the Lychguard's dispersion shields. They said you couldn't deliberately use the 4++ to get the bouncy shield effect if the attack allowed the 3+ to be used. I realise how it is with wording and what not but it's at least useful for a guideline.

In that instance though 4+ is worse than 3+. 4+ with a reroll versus 3+ is 8.33% better.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Oh I get that, but it seems like an example of how they might call out that you must use the 3+ unless it gets bypassed in which case you can use the 4++.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
For those of you yet to experience it, a Bio-flail Stonecrusher dropped in a pod is soooo drat fun against massed IG. The look on an opponent's face when he realises that not only can lasguns not wound it, but he has to pile into combat first and increase the number of models in base contact before it carries out a sweep attack...

Jolly good fun indeed.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Reporting back from Texas Wargames Con a few days late... (And after a long absence here).

Had a great time, on Friday, our team did very well in the Doubles Tournament, and on Saturday and Sunday, we had two guys go 3-1-1 in the Championship Tournament. Our Tau player took best Tau, and I somehow managed to take Best Grey Knights (despite my awful record). I also, proudly, scored a 9/10 paint score.

We met a TON of really awesome people there, and out of all of us, only one guy ran into a sour opponent. Overall we had a great time, despite the ridiculous humidity in Austin which put two of us down with pneumonia upon our return.

My only complaint was on Friday, in the doubles tournament, the judge decided on game 3 turn 5 that tabling your opponent was not enough for a win, it would be decided on mission points (this is, of course, shortly before we tabled our opponent). So my team failed to go undefeated in the doubles tournament - but that's alright, as the missions were a ton of fun anyway (Rocket Man and Foosball were both very cool missions).

Here are some pictures from Austin - I wish I had been able to take more, but I was pretty anxious as it was my first big event outside of our local scene. Reece and Frankie from FLG were really great, and we had a very spirited debate with Alan "Pajamapants" regarding Techmarine Gunner toughness in melee (we all eventually agreed that RAW, the Techmarine Gunner uses the T7 of the TFire Cannon, and Reece ruled as much on day 2 of the Championship - though I expect them to update the ITC FAQ to change this).

Some of the narrative tables, which were amazing, the skyscrapers lit up with lights inside - and they're adding neon signage to make them Tokyo based.

Our Doubles List, 2k points (1k each):

My 1850 list, and the debut of my "Mystery Machine" which I painted the two days before we left for the tournament:

Closer shots of the Knight, (I've posted the GK here before)

The Mystery Machine is my second of five Knights based on movie/tv vehicles. (I need to repaint the first, though, as I'm unhappy with how the washes settled on the General Lee). My Knightly House will gain a Love Bug next.

I'll post more thoughts when my brain isn't so swimmy. 102 fever this morning, I'm one of the guys that came home with concrud/nurgle rot/pneumonia.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

xtothez posted:

For those of you yet to experience it, a Bio-flail Stonecrusher dropped in a pod is soooo drat fun against massed IG. The look on an opponent's face when he realises that not only can lasguns not wound it, but he has to pile into combat first and increase the number of models in base contact before it carries out a sweep attack...

Jolly good fun indeed.

I am so going to do this. I've been trying to make lists that are more fun and fluffy for my nids, and I think dropping in three fexes could be a lot of fun.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
It's pretty weak that you can't just pick which save to use, and also that the rules determine "better" based on the target dice roll, not overall chance of success (so like, re-rolls).

Deathwing Knights are interesting and I'll probably pick up another set of DV bodies and put the leftover knight weapons I have on them. They're basically lovely Thunderhammers, but having AP3 attacks that hit at initiative owns, and being able to be T5 if you clump them up also owns. Also they apparently have precision strikes and can take a Land Raider as a DT, which RAW means the Land Raider can deep strike in a DeathWing Murder Bros Formation?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The rule doesn't spell out which is better, it just says use your best save. If anyone thinks that a 4+ rerolled isn't a better save than a flat 3+, they're crazy.

You can't pick what save to use to prevent dumb stuff like purposely using a bad or nil save in order to make sure your units leave combat when you want, like a jury rigged version of Calgar's old God of War rule.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

So I threw together a silly list I hope to use in a game tomorrow.

CAD
Hive Tyrant - wings - 2x devourers - electroshocks - hive commander
25 termagants with 15 devourers
Mucolid Spore
Malanthrope
Stonecrusher Carnifex with bioflail and wrecker claw
Carnifex with crushing claws and devourers
Carnifex with crushing claws and devourers
3x Tyrannocites

2nd CAD
Hive Tyrant - wings - 2x devourers - electroshocks
Mucolid Spore
Mucolid Spore
Trygon Prime
Mawlock

Just pound the enemy lines with monstrous creatures. Not as good as the Dimachaerons I usually use, but could be fun.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

ANAmal.net posted:

[...]which RAW means the Land Raider can deep strike in a DeathWing Murder Bros Formation?

I don't think so, no. Land Raiders can't deep strike, so they either start on the table or you can't take them at all.

It's a rules question that a lot of people seem confused over, so it needs a definitive statement via FAQ. Like a number of things in this book, actually; why have multiple HQ slots for the Ravenwing Strike Force when only Sammael has the Ravenwing special rule? If you take a Nephilim or Dark Talon with the RSF, does it force the entire detachment into reserves, or are they put in reserve if the rest of the force deploys as normal?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Just finished up batch-painting two Drop Pods to a decent tabletop quality as my very first commission. The pain of Drop Pod assembly/painting isn't as bad as I remember. Or perhaps I've just slowly become numb to the norm of human suffering...

If anyone is interested in having stuff painted up let me know, I'll be happy to work with you.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Overall we had a great time, despite the ridiculous humidity in Austin which put two of us down with pneumonia upon our return.
As a Houstonian, I can't get over this. Never come here. I looked up the historical weather data for the weekend in Austin because I was curious and, yeah, it was over 90% humidity, but that's normal down here. :v:

Seriously though, sorry about the illness, but it looks like the event was a good time. I'm not really plugged into the scene at all so I didn't even know it existed.

ANAmal.net posted:

Deathwing Knights are interesting and I'll probably pick up another set of DV bodies and put the leftover knight weapons I have on them. They're basically lovely Thunderhammers, but having AP3 attacks that hit at initiative owns, and being able to be T5 if you clump them up also owns. Also they apparently have precision strikes and can take a Land Raider as a DT, which RAW means the Land Raider can deep strike in a DeathWing Murder Bros Formation?
Deathwing Knights are going to be a lot better with AP3, but I'm going to miss the old smite. I loved being able to dump a bunch of S10 AP2 attacks on some poor fucks. They've had precision strikes so that's not new though it was under a different name before. I'm pretty sure you can't take a land raider in that detachment as written though. They don't have the deep strike rule and don't gain it from being in the Deathwing force so they're just out of luck. This book already needs a FAQ...

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Safety Factor posted:

As a Houstonian, I can't get over this. Never come here. I looked up the historical weather data for the weekend in Austin because I was curious and, yeah, it was over 90% humidity, but that's normal down here. :v:

Seriously though, sorry about the illness, but it looks like the event was a good time. I'm not really plugged into the scene at all so I didn't even know it existed.

I lived in Ft Worth for a year, and don't recall it ever being as bad as it was that weekend. I partly blame the hotel, which had really poor ventilation in the rooms. The bathroom didn't have a fan, and the air was so thick in the room that you could chew it.

We also got stuck in that I-35 closure on our way down through Oklahoma, so the neverending rain was a problem all its own.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Master Twig posted:

I am so going to do this. I've been trying to make lists that are more fun and fluffy for my nids, and I think dropping in three fexes could be a lot of fun.

I'm tempted to just throw all 12 Carnifexes I own into a single unbound list, providing I can convince my opponent to let me ignore Instinctive Behaviour so the army is vaguely playable.

quote:

New List: 2000 pts

----- HQ -------------------------------
1. Old One Eye (unique) (220pts)
- 1x Old One Eye

----- Heavy Support --------------------
1. Stone Crusher Carnifex Brood (495pts)
- 3x Stone Crusher Carnifex
- 2x Wrecker Claw and Bio-flail, 3x Frag Spines
2. Carnifex Brood (495pts)
- 3x Carnifex
- 6x Devourer with Brainleech Worms, 3x Adrenal Glands
3. Carnifex Brood (450pts)
- 3x Carnifex
- 6x Devourer with Brainleech Worms
4. Carnifex Brood (340pts)
- 2x Carnifex
- 2x Crushing Claws, 2x Adrenal Glands, 2x Bio-Plasma

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Lungboy posted:

I just tried but Gmail bounced it, says that address doesn't exist.

My bad - missed an 'r' out autarkus at gamerarmy dot com
or iyandenfarseer at gmail dot com

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

xtothez posted:

I'm tempted to just throw all 12 Carnifexes I own into a single unbound list, providing I can convince my opponent to let me ignore Instinctive Behaviour so the army is vaguely playable.

I know right? That's the entire reason I took the Trygon Prime instead of a second mawlock. Although, IB feed isn't so bad when it's a single carnifex if I have them positioned correctly. Still, Instinctive Behavoir is a really bad mechanic that makes a lot of Tyranid builds completely unplayable.

A simple solution would be synapse sergeants in squads, like being able to take a warrior as an upgrade in termagant or hormagant broods (or a shreik with gargoyles). OR, to reduce the price of Warrior Primes to something sane. (I personally think they're double the cost they should be for what they do.)

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I lived in Ft Worth for a year, and don't recall it ever being as bad as it was that weekend. I partly blame the hotel, which had really poor ventilation in the rooms. The bathroom didn't have a fan, and the air was so thick in the room that you could chew it.

We also got stuck in that I-35 closure on our way down through Oklahoma, so the neverending rain was a problem all its own.

Ouch, that sucks. Texas has like 5 or 6 different climates and Austin's typically not anywhere close to that humid. It can actually be pretty pleasant there even in the Summer. As you know, Dallas/Ft. Worth is basically South Oklahoma so it's a lot dryer up there too. The weather's just been weird lately.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Crazy thought. They threw out the Skyhammer Annihalation force as a pay extra for turn one deepstrike shenanigans.

I wonder if they might do the same for Dark Angels with some exclusive buy this formation to get your turn one Deathwing deep strike back.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Master Twig posted:

A simple solution would be synapse sergeants in squads, like being able to take a warrior as an upgrade in termagant or hormagant broods (or a shreik with gargoyles). OR, to reduce the price of Warrior Primes to something sane. (I personally think they're double the cost they should be for what they do.)

The issue with synapse / IB is more fundamental than not having enough cheap synapse. Loss of synapse is a double-blow; not only are you losing Fearless for an army that already has poor LD values on many units, but you then have to roll on a table with often punishing results. GW's attempt at make Tyranids reflect their fluff is made at the cost of player choice. The worst-case result is a scenario where the player isn't actually 'playing' their own army, a dice roll decides for you if you move or charge. It doesn't take a genius to realise it's bad game design when half the participants in a 2-player game can't control their own stuff..

Instead of dictating what a player does, the rules should just encourage certain fluffy behaviour while still presenting a choice. Something like this:

Instinctive Behaviour (Hunt)

Out of Synapse: When making a shooting attack, this unit must fire snap shots unless it targets the nearest enemy unit.
Within Synapse: This unit gains the Preferred Enemy special rule when targeting the nearest enemy unit with a shooting attack. It may target other enemy units as normal with no benefit.

Instinctive Behaviour (Feed)

Out of Synapse: When this unit declares a charge on an enemy unit, treat it as a Disordered Charge unless that enemy unit is the nearest.
Within Synapse: This unit gains the Rage special rule when it successfully charges the nearest enemy target. It may charge other enemy units as normal with no benefit.

How many more builds would that open up if you're no longer dependent on a handful of decent synapse units?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Closer shots of the Knight, (I've posted the GK here before)

The Mystery Machine is my second of five Knights based on movie/tv vehicles. (I need to repaint the first, though, as I'm unhappy with how the washes settled on the General Lee). My Knightly House will gain a Love Bug next.

I'll post more thoughts when my brain isn't so swimmy. 102 fever this morning, I'm one of the guys that came home with concrud/nurgle rot/pneumonia.

Great! I recall the General Lee and was mildly meh about it but paired up with another 70s or 80s TV show theme Knight its great! What do you have in mind besides the Love Bug? Knight Rider would be kinda boring being all black.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

LingcodKilla posted:

Great! I recall the General Lee and was mildly meh about it but paired up with another 70s or 80s TV show theme Knight its great! What do you have in mind besides the Love Bug? Knight Rider would be kinda boring being all black.

The General Lee didn't come out looking how I wanted. I intentionally omitted the battle flag in the design, but without it, I'm not sure it's as recognizable as I would like. When I redo it, I will find a way to convey the Lee properly. That one is back on the drawing board.

After the Love Bug, which I'm really excited to paint, I intend to do a heavily converted Acheron in the style of Mad Max's Interceptor. From there, I have a well of ideas, but haven't settled on any designs yet. The Mystery Machine was essentially a straight paint job with no converting, as I don't want to overdo it on the theme stuff. (I think Scooby hanging out on the base is more than enough). I would like to continue doing strictly paint jobs with little conversion to keep the Knights somewhat pure. So after the Love Bug and Interceptor, I have the following ideas on the table: The Griswold Family Roadster (very green, and the MM is already part green - also, I'm not sure how well wood veneer would look on a giant Lord of War), the BTTF DeLorean (would require cables & large vents on the aft section of the upper fuselage, which is a simple conversion that could actually look pretty cool), the Starsky & Hutch Gran Torino (a basic paint job that few would get, so I've essentially already dropped this one), The A-Team van (same as Torino), Kowalski's Challenger (see the Torino and A-Team van), KITT (would require LED work to be done properly, and I'm not sure I want to tackle that job), and lastly, Voltron or Planet Express, which don't really fit the theme.

I already have the kit for what will become Herbie, so once I have it painted up and standing next to the General Lee and Mystery Machine, I'll see what makes sense color wise to branch into.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Safety Factor posted:

Deathwing Knights are going to be a lot better with AP3, but I'm going to miss the old smite. I loved being able to dump a bunch of S10 AP2 attacks on some poor fucks. They've had precision strikes so that's not new though it was under a different name before. I'm pretty sure you can't take a land raider in that detachment as written though. They don't have the deep strike rule and don't gain it from being in the Deathwing force so they're just out of luck. This book already needs a FAQ...

I never ran them before, but the single S8/AP2 smash attack (instead of your regular number at S10) does seem like a serious nerf, even though it's eased up by not being once per game anymore. I'm still going to run them though, because they seem cool.

Slimnoid posted:

I don't think so, no. Land Raiders can't deep strike, so they either start on the table or you can't take them at all.

It's a rules question that a lot of people seem confused over, so it needs a definitive statement via FAQ. Like a number of things in this book, actually; why have multiple HQ slots for the Ravenwing Strike Force when only Sammael has the Ravenwing special rule? If you take a Nephilim or Dark Talon with the RSF, does it force the entire detachment into reserves, or are they put in reserve if the rest of the force deploys as normal?

Yeah I'm pretty sure you can't deep strike Land Raiders, since it's clearly not intended to work that way, and probably disallowed by the way the rules are actually written (I can't find the leaked pages right now to confirm). I just really want it to be true because it's stupid as hell and that rules.

Three HQ slots that can only contain a single unique named character is super ownage though. I guess the charitable reading is that they left the door open to add new units that can fit in there, but realistically it's probably GW being GW and loving it up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Tuxedo Jack posted:

The General Lee didn't come out looking how I wanted. I intentionally omitted the battle flag in the design, but without it, I'm not sure it's as recognizable as I would like. When I redo it, I will find a way to convey the Lee properly. That one is back on the drawing board.

Well, for God's sake, don't do a confederate flag now - it's apparently more dangerous than both guns and mental health issues.

• Locked thread