Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

For those who are curious like I was, both "doubt avoidance" and "disliking bias" are cognitive biases made up by some rich prick who knows absolutely nothing about psychology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

lobste.rs admins must be working overtime deleting any posts trying to discuss the politics and ethics of this.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The /. comments on this are exactly as poo poo as one would imagine. Dunno why I peeked to be honest :shrug:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm guessing that multiple multiple 'female whisperers' have dropped in to give some hot takes.
I'm fine with just making this assumption and moving on.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The /. comments on this are exactly as poo poo as one would imagine. Dunno why I peeked to be honest :shrug:

I mentioned lobsters because one of their admins is quoted in that article and because they would block discussions of things a11y and diversity related for being ‘too political’

quote:

“Sizovs has been running the CodingUnicorn/UnicornCoding sockpuppet on Instagram, Dev.to, and other sites for years. I banned him from Lobsters, a programming forum I run, for sockpuppeting in 2019 and again in 2020,” Bhat Harkins said. “I remember being creeped out by the effort involved and choice to use instagram glamour shots. It was just the one profile when I saw him and I'm kind of stunned that he's not just continued but multiplied his efforts." A user of the forum tipped him off, who noticed “spammy promotion” and spoke up in the forum’s chat room, he said. Bhat Harkins told 404 Media he saves server logs indefinitely “when dealing with sockpuppets.”

I did fuckall to expose this, blocked discussion of it, and am absolutely stunned he continued in other industry forums!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just remembered the goon who pretended to be a disabled German lady in the "post you are selfies" thread. People are just weird.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Freemason Rush Week posted:

For those who are curious like I was, both "doubt avoidance" and "disliking bias" are cognitive biases made up by some rich prick who knows absolutely nothing about psychology.

I dislike bias personally.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Freemason Rush Week posted:

Doubt avoidance is fake. No Doubt avoidance is very common.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Just remembered the goon who pretended to be a disabled German lady in the "post you are selfies" thread. People are just weird.

They what now

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Xun posted:

They what now

They posted pictures of a German lady who didn't have use of their legs as their own pictures. I guess at some point someone did a reverse image search or something I don't remember that well.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Lobok posted:

Doubt avoidance is fake. No Doubt avoidance is very common.

Don’t speak. I know just what you’re saying.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

EasilyConfused posted:

I dislike bias personally.
Are you sure you're not avoiding doubt by making an ill decision to dislike bias?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Lobok posted:

No Doubt avoidance

Just keep running, running, fast as you can. I think you'll make it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I'm kidding I know you really love them underneath it all

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

zedprime posted:

Are you sure you're not avoiding doubt by making an ill decision to dislike bias?

:psyboom:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I dislike bi rear end, but I acknowledge that's a me problem and am working on it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Knormal posted:

I dislike bi rear end, but I acknowledge that's a me problem and am working on it.

You should take a course on engaging bi rear end and useful whore-istics.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

(that works even better if you use the "who're" pronunciation favoured by old white chainsmoking uncles)

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Lobok posted:

(that works even better if you use the "who're" pronunciation favoured by old white chainsmoking uncles)

You can just say Frank from It's Always Sunny

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Or The Sopranos

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Or Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

As part of the settlement, Creative Australia has agreed that its board and management will undertake anti-discrimination training, they will make a 12-point public apology – to be posted on its website within 28 days of the case being dismissed – and pay Jenkins a six-figure sum. Creative Australia was contacted for this article and declined to comment.

Head start on the college fund. :blessed:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The Gunchicka story was amazing.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

KFC apologises after German Kristallnacht promotion

I don't worry about AI becoming smart and taking control. Instead, I worry about people giving control to deeply stupid AI systems.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That one is a double whammy because mixing cheese (or dairy in general) and meat isn't kosher.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

How loving stupid do you have to be to go "our international corporation whose stock price is affected by any small thing on the media, well our corporation can just have an unsupervised Twitter bot"

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"We should have a list of holidays the company wants to acknowledge"

"We have one, it's right here"

"Well this makes my job easier!" *writes script to autopost*

meanwhile

"I'm not working on Kristallnacht"

"Ok, that's fair, add Kristallnacht to the list of holidays"

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

By popular demand posted:

How loving stupid do you have to be to go "our international corporation whose stock price is affected by any small thing on the media, well our corporation can just have an unsupervised Twitter bot"

This will probably hit the share price less than being known as a company that pays staff well enough to do a competent job would.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

By popular demand posted:

Companies have been mail merging the absolute stupidest poo poo since 1995. See also accidentally merging CMS tags into your personalized circular mail ad so it addresses you as "Hi Suzy 3 kids, miscarriage, divorced"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

zedprime posted:

Companies have been mail merging the absolute stupidest poo poo since 1995. See also accidentally merging CMS tags into your personalized circular mail ad so it addresses you as "Hi Suzy 3 kids, miscarriage, divorced"

jfc

no wonder theyre paid the big money

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

zedprime posted:

Please, Ms. 3 Kids Miscarriage Divorce is my mother's name. Call me Suzy.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Welsh couple bereft after bomb squad detonate ornamental garden missile

quote:

A couple who kept a live bomb as a garden ornament have said they were sorry that their “old friend” had been detonated by a disposal unit.

The missile, which had been outside the home of Sian and Jeffrey Edwards, is thought to date back to the late 19th century.

The couple, from Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire, had thought it was a “dummy” bomb with no charge.

Sian Edwards said she used to bang her trowel on the bomb to remove earth after gardening.

Furiously googling "old friend" to see what sort of bombs turn up.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The real question is this an Easter or Halloween turf war kicking off?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That War On Christmas we've been hearing so much about.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"The Swedes Are as if Hit on the Head with Piece of Firewood"
"CROSS-COUNTRY SKIING"

(Sorry, this is the ingresslead, not the headline. So sue me.)

e: The actual article is about how for decades, the Finnish broadcaster has used a synthesizer to add ski and pole swooshes, forest hum, etc. to ski race broadcasts, as well as the cameraman imitating a dog barking in the distance. (Because they can't mic up the whole track.)

ee: Lol this picture

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 09:19 on Dec 4, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

ultrafilter posted:

KFC apologises after German Kristallnacht promotion

I don't worry about AI becoming smart and taking control. Instead, I worry about people giving control to deeply stupid AI systems.
This is from last year, btw. tbf, doesn't look like it got posted in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Reichspogromnacht is not even a holiday but a day of rememberance. So I assume they had also planned to make a crispy promotion on the Volkstrauertag, the day of commemorating the victims of war and oppression.