Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I refuse to believe that a country that collectively hates peanut butter could make the best peanut butter beer.

Besides, everyone knows the best peanut butter beer is Spring House Big Gruesome.

Hey! I love peanut butter sandwiches..... it has to be crunchy though. :frogout: Smooth!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Anyone else going to woodshops in SD this weekend? I should be there in the morning but I don't have any bottles to share so not sure how long I will stay. This is my first time going, not sure what to expect.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Retemnav posted:

What's up with the KKK beer?

danbanana posted:

Thanks. Not I can't not see it...

That's literally what it's meant to be because their peanut butter beer is actually commentary on the rise of the right wing in Europe. Yeah.

http://www.buxtonbrewery.co.uk/news/rainbow-collaboration-2014-yellow-belly/

quote:

It’s almost time to unveil our ultra-special Rainbow Collaboration brew for 2014.

The Rainbow challenge, which is the brainchild of Ryan Witter-Merithew from Siren Craft Brewery, brings together 14 breweries to make 7 collaborative beers themed on the colours of the rainbow. This year, we drew ‘Yellow’ out of the hat and were teamed up with Stockholm based Omnipollo.

We all sat down and discussed what we could brew based on the idea of ‘Yellow’. After some time, we arrived at the consensus that the prime meaning or idea expressed by the colour yellow is cowardice. Our next challenge was to transpose this idea, and our sentiments around it, into a beer.

The political situation throughout Europe is in turmoil right now, National Front, Sverigedemokraterna, British National Party, EDL, Dansk Folkeparti, Vlaams Belang, Lega Nord, Fremsrittspartiet, Sannfinländarna, Golden Dawn….the list goes on and on. From Omnipollo’s Henok Fentie; “One thing that struck us while the preliminary political polls where being presented during election night was that the actual support for the Swedish fascist party was in reality 40% higher than what people had disclosed when asked (face to face) what they voted for just after casting their ballot. At the same time the polls were more or less accurate when it came to other parties on the political scale.” What does this mean? One thing that it could mean is that although people vote extreme right they are on average not as prone to admitting to it as people voting for other parties are. Being a coward can mean many different things, but protesting anonymously at the expense of people’s freedom and right to co-exist without showing your face is one meaning that is particularly relevant at this moment in time.

So, with all this in mind, for our ‘Yellow’ beer, we made an 11% Peanut Butter and Biscuit Imperial Stout. Except there are no peanuts or biscuits in it. And then we dressed it in the most hateful, cowardly-anonymous costume we know of.

This beer, whilst attempting to make a commentary on the current political winds blowing through Europe, is above all, meant to be enjoyed as a celebration of all things new, open minded and progressive. Taste, enjoy and don’t be prejudiced

Anyway, pretentious wanky beer bollocks aside it really was a very, very good beer.

Loonytoad Quack fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 18, 2014

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Fluo posted:

:swoon:

Wild Beer co's bottle design give me a semi everytime I see them. :eyepop:

I really like their labels, but I really really dislike their beers even more. I haven't tried a single beer from them that I thought was worth anywhere near the price tag. Their name is pretty cheesy too...

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Ajaarg sighting in that press release.

Limon Cello is amazing, and my rating of it propelled it to the number one beer on the front page of Ratebeer for a day because I think it's actually one of the most interesting beers Shawn has ever made.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Phanatic posted:

Still not as racist as:

I thought this one was bad, but holy poo poo.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Phanatic posted:

Still not as racist as:

Does that translate into "Black Skin" ?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Agreed on the Limoncello. I really liked that one. It doesn't taste like an IPA, but it's definitely something.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Does that translate into "Black Skin" ?

Nope. Black Pete. He's the strangest localization of Santa Claus regalia this side of Japan:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Westbrook BA Mexican Cake release set for this Saturday. Gonna be crazy. I had thought about trying to go this year, since I made the regular release, but no way I can swing it this Saturday.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lt_Tofu posted:

Anyone else going to woodshops in SD this weekend? I should be there in the morning but I don't have any bottles to share so not sure how long I will stay. This is my first time going, not sure what to expect.

I'm going and as long as you bring something, people there are very generous and not judging. There are also beers on taps and judging from what I've been reading, the tap list should be quite good.

I went last year for the first time and brought Chez Monus and some 750; this year I'm thinking about bringing SdF, Cask Strawberry and maybe Fuzzy.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Phanatic posted:

Still not as racist as:

This is being re-released by the way...

Loonytoad Quack posted:

That's literally what it's meant to be because their peanut butter beer is actually commentary on the rise of the right wing in Europe. Yeah.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, Europeans are much cooler about offensive political statements than the US is. Even if a brewery were to do something like that in a farcical/satirical way, they'd probably never sell a drop ever again. But I say that now and next year Rogue's KKKolsch will hit the shelves so...

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

danbanana posted:

This is being re-released by the way...

Such a great beer, such a terrible font.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Retemnav posted:

Westbrook BA Mexican Cake release set for this Saturday. Gonna be crazy. I had thought about trying to go this year, since I made the regular release, but no way I can swing it this Saturday.

http://charleston.craigslist.org/evg/4674268191.html

hope he gets mugged and/or he gets mule-cucked in line

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Furious Lobster posted:

I'm going and as long as you bring something, people there are very generous and not judging. There are also beers on taps and judging from what I've been reading, the tap list should be quite good.

I went last year for the first time and brought Chez Monus and some 750; this year I'm thinking about bringing SdF, Cask Strawberry and maybe Fuzzy.

Sweet, looking forward to seeing you there.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

http://charleston.craigslist.org/evg/4674268191.html

hope he gets mugged and/or he gets mule-cucked in line

Flagged so I'm assuming he was paying mules?

My Charleston friend unfortunately won't be in town that day but he has contacted a couple friends about getting bottles. But I have a feeling this is going to be a massive shitshow...

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Thankfully, the Mexican Cake limits are pretty big, so there's bound to be a decent amount of people who are willing to trade some away. After trying the last round of BA Mexican Cakes, I'm very tempted to go after them...

If only we had some local goons who lived close to Westbrook.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

danbanana posted:

Flagged so I'm assuming he was paying mules?

My Charleston friend unfortunately won't be in town that day but he has contacted a couple friends about getting bottles. But I have a feeling this is going to be a massive shitshow...

yes, he offered $50 to a "couple of people" for them to stand in line from 530am to 1030am to purchase something that was limited. he never said what it was, just the general location, and it was posted in the "events and gigs" section. the latter surprised me at first, but most of the other listings are for secret shoppers and other small, odd jobs like that, so i guess it makes sense. it would also be hilarious if the lame-rear end dude who posted it ended up with some fiend tweaking his rear end off next to him in line for five hours.

drinking a Stickee Monkee and am sad that i only scored one bottle...

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
am i the only one that thinks tequila BA mexican cake sounds awful?

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

So, how many different pumpkin beers are in your beer shoppe right now? I counted 13 at mine, of which four were Elysian.

Also,

Here is what a fine tapwall looks like in Central Oregon in case you're interested.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

funkybottoms posted:

drinking a Stickee Monkee and am sad that i only scored one bottle...

I have exactly one and am torn on when to open it. :(

Wet Tie Affair
May 8, 2008

P-I-Z-Z-A

Just finished a Founders Mosaic Promise. I thought it was pretty tasty, but just a little on the thin side. Also picked up one of the 32oz bottles of Lagunitas Sucks. Anyone know if Sucks is only going to be the 32oz bottles for now, or will there be 6-packs?

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Speaking yet again of pumpkin beers, I've been wanting to try Almanac's pumpkin barleywine for approximately one year now, as one year ago I looked at the label while at a small shop in Santa Rosa and thought it sounded incredible but $10 was simply too expensive for a 12oz bottle. Then I paid $10 for a bottle of Bomb later that day but shut up. Anyway I noticed that it's out again and available to buy online, is it as good as it sounds? My recent string of trades has given me a strange mental disability that causes me to ignore shipping costs when beer is involved.

Podima posted:

I am in the same tragic boat. To people who've had both, how does Not the Stoic compare to Stickee Monkee? That's the only other relatively-widely available BA quad I can think of.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Wet Tie Affair posted:

Just finished a Founders Mosaic Promise. I thought it was pretty tasty, but just a little on the thin side. Also picked up one of the 32oz bottles of Lagunitas Sucks. Anyone know if Sucks is only going to be the 32oz bottles for now, or will there be 6-packs?

6 packs will be seasonal and quart bottles year round, from what I remember. And I agree about Mosaic Promise. It's really well done, but at the same time feels like a missed opportunity because Founders is usually at their best when they go hog wild with over the top flavors. Even their Centennial IPA, while basic, is pretty huge in mouth feel and flavor for a single IPA. Then again, it's nice they tried something different.

krustster fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 19, 2014

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Podima posted:

it's drinking good now and is really amazing once it warms up

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

krustster posted:

I am in the same tragic boat. To people who've had both, how does Not the Stoic compare to Stickee Monkee? That's the only other relatively-widely available BA quad I can think of.

not even close.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

funkybottoms posted:

it's drinking good now and is really amazing once it warms up

Thanks, I'll probably use it as stress relief this weekend in the midst of last minute wedding prep!

Don't get married, kids.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Podima posted:

Thanks, I'll probably use it as stress relief this weekend in the midst of last minute wedding prep!

Don't get married, kids.

Now wait, are you the one getting married soon? I got confused and thought you said you had a friend who was. Or is it both?? This may call for semi-drastic measures!

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

krustster posted:

Weyerbacher has one that's easily available called Blasphemy. If you trade someone in Philly/NJ they should have no problems getting it. It's $8 for a 750.

Drinking my first Sucks 32oz, gently caress yeah Lagunitas.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

krustster posted:

Now wait, are you the one getting married soon? I got confused and thought you said you had a friend who was. Or is it both?? This may call for semi-drastic measures!

Nope, all me, baby - 9 days and counting! (Now you see why I REALLY WANTED to get my fiancee something nice while we were both in the thick of things!)

Midorka posted:

Weyerbacher has one that's easily available called Blasphemy. If you trade someone in Philly/NJ they should have no problems getting it. It's $8 for a 750.

Drinking my first Sucks 32oz, gently caress yeah Lagunitas.

Blasphemy is awesome in 12oz bottles - the problem with BBA quads is that sometimes you just don't want to drink a whole 750. (edit: poo poo, I was thinking of Insanity, their BBA barleywine. Ignore me!)

Will keep a lookout for Sucks, I love that stuff this time of year!

Podima fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 19, 2014

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Podima posted:

Blasphemy is awesome in 12oz bottles - the problem with BBA quads is that sometimes you just don't want to drink a whole 750. (edit: poo poo, I was thinking of Insanity, their BBA barleywine. Ignore me!)

Will keep a lookout for Sucks, I love that stuff this time of year!

That's the problem with any 750 though. I can't think of a reason why brewery's release beers in those formats other than to get more cash per ounce, other than to increase rarity.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Insanity is really good. Heresy was a bit disappointing, but still a decent buy for a $10 four pack.

Podima posted:

Nope, all me, baby - 9 days and counting! (Now you see why I REALLY WANTED to get my fiancee something nice while we were both in the thick of things!)

Incredible...

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Kudosx posted:

I really like their labels, but I really really dislike their beers even more. I haven't tried a single beer from them that I thought was worth anywhere near the price tag. Their name is pretty cheesy too...

What beers did you try? Because Put it in your pipe, Shnoodlepip, Indigo Child and Rubus Maximus are pretty great beers. :I

Fluo fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 19, 2014

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Would I be considered a hater for saying that Stickee Monkee basically tasted exactly like a drier Sucaba and not much else? I mean, good beer yeah, but I really wanted more yeast character for something marketed as a quad.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I get what you mean.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Scored a Cranberry Woods from Cisco today at my local bottle shop. I guess I know what I'm drinking with Thanksgiving dinner!

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Fluo posted:

What beers did you try? Because Put it in your pipe, Shnoodlepip, Indigo Child and Rubus Maximus are pretty great beers. :I

Also massive shout out to Evolver, their Bretted IPA, which is loving delicious (and Madness, their normal IPA too frankly). Actually I can't think of any Wild Beer I've had that has been anything worse than 'totally competent if not that exciting'. Maybe they don't travel well or something?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

bartolimu posted:

Scored a Cranberry Woods from Cisco today at my local bottle shop. I guess I know what I'm drinking with Thanksgiving dinner!

I passed on this for a Kriek instead.

As much as I've discovered I love Lady In the Woods (there's still 2011 bottles sitting at at least two different shops I know of...), I've found the fruited variants to be extremely one-note. Kriek was practically pure acid and made the harshest of Uplands seem tame. Peche was less so, but the subtleness of the peach never came through.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

SUPER HASSLER posted:

So, how many different pumpkin beers are in your beer shoppe right now? I counted 13 at mine, of which four were Elysian.

Also,

Here is what a fine tapwall looks like in Central Oregon in case you're interested.

I just moved to a neighborhood where there's a decent density of breweries making mediocre to decently good stuff and apparently no beer nerds because the closest shop has a ton of Good Gourd just sitting on the shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Fluo posted:

their beers are okay, but nothing i'd buy again at the import price.

crazyfish posted:

Would I be considered a hater for saying that Stickee Monkee basically tasted exactly like a drier Sucaba and not much else? I mean, good beer yeah, but I really wanted more yeast character for something marketed as a quad.

no, there's practically nothing Belgian about it, but that's fine by me, and i could drink slight variations of Sucaba all day long.

danbanana posted:

I passed on this for a Kriek instead.

As much as I've discovered I love Lady In the Woods (there's still 2011 bottles sitting at at least two different shops I know of...), I've found the fruited variants to be extremely one-note. Kriek was practically pure acid and made the harshest of Uplands seem tame. Peche was less so, but the subtleness of the peach never came through.

what year of the Kriek? i stocked up a few years back (2011 or 2012) and they all drank beautifully. Lady is definitely the best and Kriek is second, but the other fruited varieties don't quite justify the $20+ price tag for me. they're not bad, just not awesome.