Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't really have any useless colonists or many animals, I think it's just using a lot of mods and it's a larger map to fit all the crap on. I have a whole extra wing dug out to the left that needs fitting to host the server array.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That would be fantastic. The only input once the chickens are inside would be food and the only output is eggs and/or dead chickens.

Maybe hacking through the mod where you put an animal/person into a bio-tube for energy production would be a good start?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Dirk the Average posted:

It'd be nice for there to be a way to have a UPS friendly system for animals where they could be abstracted to no longer need to pathfind. I love the idea of using mods that create tons of animals and having large ranches that are neat, but the drain on system resources is sometimes hard to justify.

Maybe some sort of bigass ranch building that you can shove animals into and have pawns work to produce animal products. Factory farming is no worse than all the other crimes we do around this colony.

It’s more than just pathfinding too. Having to set up animal zones and animal caretakers and animal training and manage population growth and animal feed and so on is a lot of work for very little return. Particularly in vanilla.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

jokes posted:

That would be fantastic. The only input once the chickens are inside would be food and the only output is eggs and/or dead chickens.

Maybe hacking through the mod where you put an animal/person into a bio-tube for energy production would be a good start?

Yeah, I could see that being a good base.

Vengarr posted:

Maybe some sort of bigass ranch building that you can shove animals into and have pawns work to produce animal products. Factory farming is no worse than all the other crimes we do around this colony.

It’s more than just pathfinding too. Having to set up animal zones and animal caretakers and animal training and manage population growth and animal feed and so on is a lot of work for very little return. Particularly in vanilla.

Agreed - ideally there'd be some way to have any and all animals stashed inside. Some way to load up kibble so that they consume food, and have pawns jump in to milk/shear/etc. as required. Further, it'd be nice to be able to pop animals in and out so that they can help in defending the colony or be sent out on the offense.

I could see some different types of ranching buildings too - small ones for more factory farm setups, or large ones that could grow grass to feed some quantity of herbivores without needing kibble so long as there's sufficient temperature and sunshine.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I had a bunch if sheep and some other poo poo but I just ended up killing them. More work than they were valuable.

Probably because I'm playing with Dinosauria and have like 4000 sauropod leather.

Also tamed a T Rex so that's cool.

Now I just have a couple horses, two dogs a t Rex and a stegosaurus as my pack animal.

also i have a legendary great bow and long bow now that are both better than almost any gun I've made i think. they are like 30 dmg/ 100% accuracy at every range and have a 1.5 second cooldown. i guess the only issue is the 22% penetration.

i have a legendary semi auto rifle that is 22 dmg / 30 pen and similar accuracy. my guys with the bows routinely gently caress poo poo up though.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 19, 2020

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Despite my starting intentions it seems like every long-running colony I manage ends up with 20 hauling Grizzly Bears. When traders have them for sale I just can't resist. I need to start using those fuckers in combat because I really don't need 20 hauling bears and they're killing my frame rate.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I just started playing. I'm on my first base still, and it's going well.

Shortly into starting, a rat self-tamed and then another one did, but no one had any animal handling, like literally zero. I couldn't get it up to 4, which I needed to keep my rats without something like an alpaca show up. Eventually they returned to the wild, but alpacas managed to show up before they left the map. I trained up on the alpacas. I tamed both the rats back and now they have a happy family of 97 rats. 3 died though, RIP.

So I now have 94 rats, 2 alpaca, 2 yak, several chickens, several ducks who just arrived, a couple of muffalo, an army of huskies, 1 raccoon, and 2 very very busy animal handlers.

(I have the males and females separate now, but they've occasionally gotten lucky from me making a mistake with zoning.)

I haven't noticed any lag though.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I really enjoy playing animal-heavy games in the desert or tundra maps, and I just wish there was a way to view a list of all of a certain animal type at once. When you have 50 chickens and 30 iguanas and 40 alpacas etc, it would be nice to be able to view just the chickens or whatever to make decisions on who to cull or sell.

My egg strategy now is to get up to 20 or 30 chickens and 2-3 roosters, then sequester the roosters away from the chickens until I need to start breeding new ones again for whatever reason. I got sick of setting up caravans of two dozen male chicks to haul across the desert to sell.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I have a billion of every material except plasteel and no matter how long these dildos scan, they cant find anything under the base or far off :argh: I'm setting up my Kijin smithy to make silver bars so my haulbots wont take seven years to load my plane with enough money to buy out everyone within a few KMs

I like upgrading my robots :smith:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
anyone else have an issue where every time i start a game from steam it starts a new random rimworld colony? skips the start menu and everything

it sucks i always get excited seeing 0 red errors in my debug log and then i remember it's not my actual save :(

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Danaru posted:

I have a billion of every material except plasteel and no matter how long these dildos scan, they cant find anything under the base or far off :argh: I'm setting up my Kijin smithy to make silver bars so my haulbots wont take seven years to load my plane with enough money to buy out everyone within a few KMs

I like upgrading my robots :smith:

Deep drilling plasteel pockets are very rare, use the long-range scanner for plasteel since you can force it to scan for plasteel only.

The Iron Rose posted:

anyone else have an issue where every time i start a game from steam it starts a new random rimworld colony? skips the start menu and everything

it sucks i always get excited seeing 0 red errors in my debug log and then i remember it's not my actual save :(

uh, something's hosed, verify your files. If that doesn't work, try launching it by just running the file directly, should be something like Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Rimworld/RimWorldWin64.exe. Even the steam version of Rimworld has no DRM so that should work. When did this start happening? Maybe see if you have any mods on the workshop that auto-updated themselves around then (sort your subscribed mods by date updated) and cancel those mods.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Mzbundifund posted:

Deep drilling plasteel pockets are very rare, use the long-range scanner for plasteel since you can force it to scan for plasteel only.

I've got both running pretty much constantly :saddowns: I know I'll find some eventually but I want more space robots now dammit

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Piss off and harvest mechs

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Mech harvesting got nerfed last patch since ever since the mech structure pod event got added it was just obliterating the economy on the harder difficulties. The last colony I made I never made a component at the fabrication bench and still finished with over 200 components and thousands of plasteel. Now mechanoid disassembling has been renamed mechanoid shredding and only gives steel.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I believe centipedes still yield an amount of plasteel.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Oh good, it felt bad to get so little out of them. At least raiders can give you recruits.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

The Iron Rose posted:

You have debug mode on with quickstart on load. Let the game start, go back to the main menu and at the top there is some symbols for you to mess with.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I really want to finish a base before I have to abandon it due to chug.

There's a mod called RuntimeGC that helps a lot with chug, Rimworld can generate and track literally hundreds of things like pawns that aren't even in any maps you're viewing and RuntimeGC allows you to cull them from your save regularly. I was going to suggest it if you're not already using it but I went to get a link and now I'm super confused.

The official mod on the workshop was never updated to 1.1 - I'm using an unofficial update that seems to have been removed from the workshop, and when I googled I found this page which shows a 1.1 version and shows as uploaded by the original creator.
https://rimworldbase.com/runtimegc-tool/

Anyway if you can find a 1.1 copy of it and aren't already using it, try it out!

edit: I have a question about animals and ranching, I have never made a serious effort to use animals in this game - is there any reason why I couldn't just, like, restrict 4 cows into one-tile zones that surround a one-tile stockpile for kibble or hay? They don't have any needs that need to be filled other than rest and food, right?

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 20, 2020

Griz
May 21, 2001

deep dish peat moss posted:

edit: I have a question about animals and ranching, I have never made a serious effort to use animals in this game - is there any reason why I couldn't just, like, restrict 4 cows into one-tile zones that surround a one-tile stockpile for kibble or hay? They don't have any needs that need to be filled other than rest and food, right?

this works, but requires a substantial amount of pawn time to produce all that kibble/hay. I think letting them wander around your base and placing a few grass farm zones is more efficient, plus it levels up your farmers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a mod called RuntimeGC that helps a lot with chug, Rimworld can generate and track literally hundreds of things like pawns that aren't even in any maps you're viewing and RuntimeGC allows you to cull them from your save regularly. I was going to suggest it if you're not already using it but I went to get a link and now I'm super confused.

The official mod on the workshop was never updated to 1.1 - I'm using an unofficial update that seems to have been removed from the workshop, and when I googled I found this page which shows a 1.1 version and shows as uploaded by the original creator.
https://rimworldbase.com/runtimegc-tool/

Anyway if you can find a 1.1 copy of it and aren't already using it, try it out!

I normally use runtimeGC but yes I also found some issues with possible 1.1 versions. I will see if I can get it to work.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Is there a secret to get stuff smoothed or constructed objects moved. Any construction elsewhere on the map prevents it from happening and i swear even without if you have something the same priority as construction thatll be a priority

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Smoothing is a minimal priority construction job, if you have any other construction jobs they will be done first. You could try a mod that gives you more fine control over the work system so you can specifically set people to do smoothing and nothing else.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Is there a secret to get stuff smoothed or constructed objects moved. Any construction elsewhere on the map prevents it from happening and i swear even without if you have something the same priority as construction thatll be a priority

A work tab mod can split those into different job categories (and I think moving an already constructed object is technically a hauling job?), or you can zone things so one guy can't do any of the stuff that's less important.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Can anyone with SOS2 confirm that a chunk of ship floor without the roof still counts as part of the ship? Hard points arent cutting it for making an SRTS refueling station.

Also did they remove the Bad Hygiene interactions? Putting wells in space messes with my immersion :saddowns:

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

isndl posted:

or you can zone things so one guy can't do any of the stuff that's less important.

This is the simplest way of dealing with it. Just make a special zone that's only the smoothing areas plus basic living quarters/food, and trap your construction guy in there.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The biggest secret is to edit the scenario to set a stat multiplier on smoothing speed to make it happen at like 1000% speed, so even while it's a minimal priority it'll still actually get done. I always do this because tying up my entire colony for like 5 straight days of smoothing for a medium/small base is too much. Without the speed boost I'm just using steel or stone block walls instead, gently caress it. It somehow takes less time to tear down a stone wall, cut it into bricks, then build a brick wall than it does to just smooth the drat stone wall :shrug: (Possibly skewed by my use of bulk stonecutting mods)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 21, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I use a mod that makes smoothing 3x faster and it's still excruciatingly slow :cripes: didnt know there was a scenario setting, I'll have to look into that

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I really want to finish a base before I have to abandon it due to chug.

This is so well organized, it's amazing. Do you plan before you start, or add rooms and facilities as needed?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I sort of had a plan in the sense of "I've got this valley and I have a big area on the left and a small area on the right so I'll put the dangerous stuff across the valley" but digging into that pocket on the left was unexpected, hence why it's got a weird squiggle corridor.

But otherwise it just follows the rules of double thick walls on rooms wherever possible, and otherwise I just use the plan tool to get an idea of how big a room should be before I actually dig it out. And I also try to think of things to use empty spaces for, like the weird warehouse at the bottom left. I just had a bit of space left and it was big enough to stuff some pallets in. Also the small cupboards off the south eastern corridor which are reinforced and house the unstable power cells, if one of them detonates it just blows the door off but doesn't chain to any of the other cells. Extremely small bit of extra space but found a use for it.

The plan tool is good for making evenly spaced subdivisions, so you can, for example, figure out how to divide that bedrooms and the big hall into patterns that fit into the same space.

I think a lot of the structure comes from adherence to rules and patterns. All the walls are the same size, the floors follow repeated patterns, I split things up with floor tile patterns, that sort of thing. The floors are semi coded too, red is industrial, blue is high tech/scientific/nuclear, yellow is habitation.

I also try to work around natural features where possible, terraforming helps too to make small adjustments, I reclaimed all the sand in the valley and turned it into rich soil, put some paths through it and connected it on three sides to the mountain which helps ensure the pawns get some time outside, plus all the vegetation and water helps make it actually very fancy so it's a good quality rec room for the outdoor activities.

There's also a bit of a history semi-visible, the area in the north west was the first area I dug out, specifically because the room with the well and pillars was the only water source except for one really far out in the wild lands outside, so I had to dig into there to get a secure water source, I preserved that room's aesthetics. The first room finished was what is now the hospital and lab, which I stuffed everyone into for a while as a combined barracks/dining room/hospital/everything with the workbenches stuck in the corridor outside. The room above that was the dirt room which held the early water infrastructure, butchery, batteries etc, anything you don't want to look at, and you can see it's still got the floor paint from when I had other stuff in there, while the water got moved to the far eastern edge.

The first bedrooms were dug out up top, but you can see I'm slowly transitioning everyond down west of the hall into much bigger rooms, and I'm converting the old bedrooms to guest rooms. The newer stuff uses more materials and is larger in scale because I have better diggers and more materials to spend at that point, the older areas are more smoothed rock and stone tiles. But some of the new areas also feature real stone floors (I can make some of them out of linoleum but the checkered floor is real stone only) as a sort of prestige thing. So the base has a bit of an architectural ages thing going on as different materials become available. I was extremely wood short for a long time too so a lot of the old base doesn't use it, but now I have a wood farm I am using more of it in the newer areas and also to fuel the braziers in the communal spaces (useful when I get flares knocking out the power)

I also try to transition away from limestone where possible. I've kept it in some of the oldest areas but I don't really like the colour, so aside from the natural areas like the lagoon valley I've deliberately paved it over with marble or lino or something else. I feel like for the residents it would be sort of... low class. Cos the majority of the habitable section of the mountain is limestone and it matches the colour of the landscape too, so deliberately choosing other colours than limestone is sort of a display of prosperity for the colony. Same reason I'm going to dig out a lot of the walls and replace them with constructed ones when I get round to it. And also why the fancy hall has a very expensive blue carpet under construction (and why I just renovated it with more braziers and marble). I don't even have a noble in the settlement but I find the idea of a legendary quality royal marble throne that nobody has ever sat on kind of funny, and the shape of a grand throne hall lends itself well to the design, with the tables down each side and the fancy carpet.

I'm probably thinking about it too much but I like the game as a model settlement builder with the gameplay mechanics forcing the creative element to take a functional form, which I find to be necessary for creativity to be enjoyable and also a good source of inspiration.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 21, 2020

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
What flooring mods are you guys using? My current one clashes hard with Rimworld art style, and I'm basically looking for more colors so I can do my own pretty pretty base.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

GodspeedSphere posted:

What flooring mods are you guys using? My current one clashes hard with Rimworld art style, and I'm basically looking for more colors so I can do my own pretty pretty base.

I use Stuffed Floors

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 21, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could also use the Dubs paint mod to just make everything whatever colour you want.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1579516669&searchtext=dubs+paint+mod

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I've just uninstalled all my mods and reinstalled a new bunch, now I'm generating worlds that have maybe 5-10 bases total on them. Of the top of your heads anyone know what could be causing this? Still happens even with maxed out population slider.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Pharnakes posted:

I've just uninstalled all my mods and reinstalled a new bunch, now I'm generating worlds that have maybe 5-10 bases total on them. Of the top of your heads anyone know what could be causing this? Still happens even with maxed out population slider.

Just had this happen to me because I added alien races framework and Android tiers. Fixed it by removing them. Then I re-added them later at the bottom of the mod list and it works now I guess.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

GodspeedSphere posted:

Just had this happen to me because I added alien races framework and Android tiers. Fixed it by removing them. Then I re-added them later at the bottom of the mod list and it works now I guess.

That was it, thanks. Apparently in my case caused by using tiers but forgetting the framework. Dunno how that could possibly depopulate a world but there you go.

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.

Danaru posted:

Also did they remove the Bad Hygiene interactions? Putting wells in space messes with my immersion :saddowns:

I recently downloaded SOS2 and did a bit of reading around it. Seems like they're planning to implement Hygiene functionality or a patch in the near future.

Recently I discovered how bad times can get if you decide to ignore an infestation on the map and let it grow to see what happens. What happens is around 100 assorted insects simultaneously decide you need to die while grinding your pc to a halt as they all calculate pathing.

Turns out building a base over deep water using modded bridges has a similar result if the only route in gets blown up by some jerk with a grenade.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Space Haven released in Early Access today, it's a pixel art colony builder with a clear Rimworld (and Oxygen Not Included) influence, and in particular is similar to SOS - you live on a spaceship that you expand and build while you fly around space, mine asteroids, clear alien-infested derelict space hulks with your away team, grow artificial meat in hydroponics bays, etc.

It's day 1 of EA but has promise and has some Rimworld in its DNA so I figured someone here might be interested! I bought it but I'm not far enough to see any glaring flaws.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 22, 2020

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Started building a greenhouse for my new colony last night that was interrupted, just before we put the roof on, by toxic fallout. We were stuck inside for 10 days. Just barely managed to finish the greenhouse when I got a quest to endure 17 days of thunderstorms, after which Randy gave me another 2 weeks of volcanic winter.

The game wants me to starve so badly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would definitely have just put the roof on anyway, toxic fallout isn't instantly lethal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Space Haven released in Early Access today, it's a pixel art colony builder with a clear Rimworld (and Oxygen Not Included) influence, and in particular is similar to SOS - you live on a spaceship that you expand and build while you fly around space, mine asteroids, clear alien-infested derelict space hulks with your away team, grow artificial meat in hydroponics bays, etc.

It's day 1 of EA but has promise and has some Rimworld in its DNA so I figured someone here might be interested! I bought it but I'm not far enough to see any glaring flaws.

Oh hey I remember getting this... over a year ago apparently :staredog: I remember liking the idea but hitting the UI like a brick wall since it was very obviously a placeholder. I'll have to give it another download