Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Oldstench posted:

Email the webmaster?

The guy is doing a great thing by putting up a free, awesome service for the game. I appreciate the suggestion, but would rather avoid bugging him with a personal email to take down a single game (if there is another way to do it myself).

(I'd much rather waste all of your time and bug all of you instead. :))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
What's the whole protocol for BGA anyway do you just ruck up in the gamefinder or what?

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

Tekopo posted:

I'm not sure you were playing Codenames correctly here. With 3 players you have two spymasters and one spy, with the spy playing for both teams (and making their best guesses at both). If you were playing against the dummy though (which is the 2P game), you are trying to finish the game with the least number of hints possible. It's not about being able to beat the dummy or not, but having a better score at the end (which you do by counting how many codes the dummy still has uncovered).

Yeah, I was skimming the rules and may have misread. I thought it said to play the 3p game the same as the 2p game with a dummy player but probably missed the variant you describe.

I can imagine that Codenames easily scales well to large groups of people, as long as people are willing to yell.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I'm a bit conflicted on Star Wars: Rebellion.

On one hand the leader standee rings are a p cool development in terms of fuckable board games, but the size is all wrong for the vaguely vaginal shape they went with.

At least the super star destroyers should be decent for butt stuff. :sigh:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I'm gonna pass on Rebellion. It's 2 player, which already hurts it getting to the table among my group, but it just seems like it would be really repetitive really quick. The hidden base angle is a neat mechanic, but not for the price and time investment. I'll get something else.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Lichtenstein posted:

On one hand the leader standee rings are a p cool development in terms of fuckable board games, but the size is all wrong for the vaguely vaginal shape they went with.

:stonk:

EDIT: Also, I'll probably try to get a game of it, but I'm not buying it, it's too much money and I have Wave 8 X-Wing to get first.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

StashAugustine posted:

Nah football rarely has the same stalling tactics that happens in BB when one team gets ahead.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tekopo posted:

Wave 8 X-Wing
I hate you for reminding me of this.

And my money. I hate that too, apparently. :homebrew:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I really enjoyed Barony but have only gotten it to the table a few times. The game plays like a nest of move-countermove where everything feels like it has a (potential) benefit vs tradeoff or opportunity cost. Best move always depends on what opponents are doing or likely to do. It's easy to teach and it's a 45 min game or so. Not particularly expensive either.

Game board is modular and built by players. Then you each take one simple action at a time (out of nine total actions available) until the game is over.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Mr. Squishy posted:

What's the whole protocol for BGA anyway do you just ruck up in the gamefinder or what?

Pretty much, yes.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I'm gonna pass on Rebellion. It's 2 player, which already hurts it getting to the table among my group, but it just seems like it would be really repetitive really quick. The hidden base angle is a neat mechanic, but not for the price and time investment. I'll get something else.

It's four player - two people play the rebellion and two the empire.
So you can play 2 or 4 but not 3.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Nique posted:

My group plays a bunch of what I assume are medium weight euros, such as: Keyflower, Hansa Teutonica, Terra Mystica, Argent, Viticulture, FCM, Voyages of Marco Polo.

What would represent a good step up in weight, but still likely to appeal to a group that love/enjoy the above?

Edit: Heavier, but still playing around max of 2 hours would be ideal

How has Food Chain Magnate established itself as a mid-weight euro??? That being said, Vinhos is a heavy, two-hour euro that is getting a reprint soon. Kanban is made by the same guy and does similar shenanigans. Caylus is technically a two-hour game or so but AP will make it go longer. If you're willing to extend playtime towards 3 hours (not including AP), Dominant Species is really grand.

Arkwright is indeed a definite step up, but hard to find at the moment. The guys who made FCM have a nice trio of heavy "grail" euros, Indonesia, Antiquity, and Roads & Boats.

I'd say Vinhos and Kanban are the heavier games that don't also result in being extremely punishing (then again if you play FCM that shouldn't be a problem) and fit in the play time. Max 4 players on both though.

And hey, 1830 is always a step up :v:

Trynant fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 8, 2016

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
I'm gonna funnel all the rebellion pieces into my rear end

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

My gamestore got a copy of Roads and Boats in so ah, tell me about that?

Here's my spiel a few pages back.

That being said, it might be worth snagging if only because that's a grail game that when OOP will sell back for a profit.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Tekopo posted:

:stonk:

EDIT: Also, I'll probably try to get a game of it, but I'm not buying it, it's too much money and I have Wave 8 X-Wing to get first.

You should be fine then, because Wave 8's never coming out..

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

You should be fine then, because Wave 8's never coming out..

It's even worse than that: it's coming out but they didn't print enough to fulfill preorders.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Lichtenstein posted:

As the thread's resident butt stuff expert: No. The SSDs don't have a flared base on their own, and the little mini stand will pop right off. That thing's gonna get lost up there.

If you want to shove a board game component up your rear end, the gold standard is still Jungle Speed.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

From the 18xx mailing list:

Gutter Owl posted:

As the thread's resident butt stuff expert: No. The SSDs don't have a flared base on their own, and the little mini stand will pop right off. That thing's gonna get lost up there.

If you want to shove a board game component up your rear end, the gold standard is still Jungle Speed.
I went to look at Jungle Speed because of this and I saw Jungle Speed: The Extreme Expansion which seems like an appropriate name for this conversation.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Poopy Palpy posted:

It's even worse than that: it's coming out but they didn't print enough to fulfill preorders.

Hang on, is that true ?:ohdear:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Lichtenstein posted:

It's good. Go buy yourself a nice nostalgia trip and a baller game.
Okay, sure, why not? :retrogames:

Is the core set varied enough for the first few games or should I just put some money aside for Hammer and Hold/Legions of Darkness/possibly a second core set as well?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Poopy Palpy posted:

Haha... what? Was this announced somewhere? Cmon FFG...

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Haha... what? Was this announced somewhere? Cmon FFG...

One of the store owners posted in the local Facebook group that his order of Punishing Ones got cut in half because there aren't enough to go around.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Poopy Palpy posted:

One of the store owners posted in the local Facebook group that his order of Punishing Ones got cut in half because there aren't enough to go around.

Is the prevailing theory that this huge delay and/or shipping catastrophe is because of the Asmodee takeover?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Whee, finally got this in the mail:

Japanese Dominion guide for those of you that can't read weeb, the cover artist does a lot of funny gag comics.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Wizard Styles posted:

Okay, sure, why not? :retrogames:

Is the core set varied enough for the first few games or should I just put some money aside for Hammer and Hold/Legions of Darkness/possibly a second core set as well?

TRIGGER WARNING: FFG BULLSHIT

It's a (commercially failed early on) collectible series, so FFG did the "buy multiple cores" deal. Thankfully there's both a lot of value in a single one and not that much pointless repeats in the second one. As for variety it looks like this:

Single core: you get four cool playable armies, but little wiggle room in terms of custom army building, like in PC adaptations of Magic - you can drop some poo poo you like the least, but the underlying archetype will feel similar.

Two cores: you get enough spare poo poo to army build properly, along with a bunch of quality-of life doubles (more dice, second ruler, second copy of some neutral command cards both players are likely to want).

Hammer and Hold/Legions of Darkness: two cool armies, a bit of cool poo poo for the old ones, some two unit types + hero teasers of further four factions you'll probably never see printed. While the disk distribution looks dangerously similar to the core set, in fact second copies of these are completely unnecessary unless you are literally so OCD you can't bear the thought of proxying a single copy of the gimmickiest unit in the game when going all-in with it.

So yeah, grab a single core, have fun and in no time you'll join us in bitching about how cool Skaven would be if they ever get printed but they never will*.

* I'm super pumped about the fact that if their potential siege thing would follow the same rules as the Ratling Gun we already have, aiming at own units (in a true Skaven fashion) at siege range would actually make it twice as likely to hit an engaged opponent.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Panzeh posted:

Sorry that you have a wrong opinion because dreadball actually has ball/player movement and flow compared to bloodbowl's pointless grind and a sport devised by retarded brits who couldn't comprehend american football.

One of those two games I have a chance of meeting somebody who plays it. Guess which one it is :smith:

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Tekopo posted:

Gonna play some 1824 today, should be good. This is quickly becoming my most played 18XX game.

This game is so OOP I know next to nothing about it. And with Mayfair doing 1844/1854, I doubt it will ever get a reprint.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

taser rates posted:

Whee, finally got this in the mail:

Japanese Dominion guide for those of you that can't read weeb, the cover artist does a lot of funny gag comics.

Scan it (or at least take pics of pages) for us. The Japanese board game and tabletop scene always seems like some insane divergence of the scene in the US and Europe.

There a manga about board gaming being scanalated right now too but there's not enough board gaming in it right now.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Scan it (or at least take pics of pages) for us. The Japanese board game and tabletop scene always seems like some insane divergence of the scene in the US and Europe.

There a manga about board gaming being scanalated right now too but there's not enough board gaming in it right now.

From what DXV has said, Japan is apparently the third biggest market for Dominion, behind the US and Europe, which I found pretty interesting.

In any case, there's not a whole lot interesting to look at really. It starts with a basic introduction to the game, which also covers key strategic concepts ie money density, trashing, cycling, pacing. After that, the bulk of the book is a section written by tournament players that covers every card in the game, from Base to Adventures, with each card getting a half page description. There was this excellent picture at the end though, also by the cover artist:

After that, there's an interview with the players regarding the history of the game in Japan, then a glossary and card FAQ.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, the approximately equivalent term for money decks (no villages, little to no trashing, main focus is treasures) is "steroid".

On the topic of manga, you should check out Wizard's Soul if you haven't already, it's about a CCG that's totally not MTG.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I would kill for that Festival Man calendar.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looking to expand on my base Dominion set, I went and had a look at Intrigue's cards. Then got a close up look at Harem. :pwn:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The hotly anticipated return of Dominion Comix

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

taser rates posted:

Also, unless I'm mistaken, the approximately equivalent term for money decks (no villages, little to no trashing, main focus is treasures) is "steroid".

On the topic of manga, you should check out Wizard's Soul if you haven't already, it's about a CCG that's totally not MTG.

That's actually kinda interesting. I'd love to see an International tournament for Dominion just to see how different players from different places play.

For board game manga, there's After School Dice Club which has only had six chapters translated and only two of them are board games. Marrakech (not to be confused with the similarly titled Marrakesh) and Cockroach Poker

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
This seems like a bit of a longshot, but has anyone heard of or backed or tried or know anything about Granjeros? I am unsure where I heard about this but I just remembered it existed and there isn't a BGG entry for it so I dunno what the deal is. Anyways, any info would be cool. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2072954670/granjeros-a-board-game-for-a-new-economy/description

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Looking to expand on my base Dominion set, I went and had a look at Intrigue's cards. Then got a close up look at Harem. :pwn:

Scout is worse. Intrigue has some surprisingly duff art.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

doesnt really hold a candle to

both in art and implications to me. :v:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I would kill for that Festival Man calendar.

I now want a card-a-day calendar.

SynthOrange posted:

doesnt really hold a candle to

both in art and implications to me. :v:

Scout would love all those Harems.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Durendal posted:

This game is so OOP I know next to nothing about it. And with Mayfair doing 1844/1854, I doubt it will ever get a reprint.

1824 is a weird game. The basis of it is that it pretty has no market shenanigans at the start and a whole bunch of minor companies. You have coal railways, which go on to form regionals (full capitalisation companies similar to the ones in 1830), pre-state railways which form three state railways and mountain railways which are privates with fixed income that you can trade in for a share. There's so many companies at the start that the board develops quickly. We didn't finish the game because we had two newbies and the game is complex enough that it can slow down if you don't have experienced players. I like it a lot still but it does sometimes feel kind of samey after a while.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I need some more recommendations for good horror-themed, free-for-all games. Tobago was a big hit, so I'm looking for something with around the same level of difficulty. A visually appealing board is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Boz0r posted:

I need some more recommendations for good horror-themed, free-for-all games. Tobago was a big hit, so I'm looking for something with around the same level of difficulty. A visually appealing board is important.

You have a choice here between cheap and good. Cthulhu Wars is the only one in that niche that I'd piss on if it were on fire.