Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

you should definitely call in your chopper all decked out to shoot the rear end off everybody at least once before you quit. also make sure you have the upgrade so your music is blasting from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
It took me probably 10-15 hours at least before I stopped playing Phantom Pain with the Ground Zeroes loadout and mindset and embraced all the toys in the toychest. It probably took twice that long before I stopped compulsively restarting after being spotted - which I did in all previous MGS games because gunfights kinda suck in them - and started acting like a warlord when stealth failed. Both of those things together really improved my MGSV experience and made it some of my favorite gameplay ever.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
That's what I figure - there are loads of guns in the game. I just approach the base, Fulton a few dudes and then open fire and explosions from a rooftop - poo poo gets done a lot faster.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Another dumb question for the dumb question god:

The PS4 came bundled with Gran Turismo Sport, but it's the German version of the game. If I recall correctly, there are no region locks on PS4 games so it should work in any PS4 no matter where it was bought, correct? Same goes for online play?

I plan on selling/trading the GT but 99% of the consoles down here are US-made and I don't want to screw anyone over.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Games are region free.
DLC is region locked

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Games are region free.
DLC is region locked

Then could I buy 'American' DLC for a German game, but not use said DLC in Germany?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No the DLC has to match the region of the game so you'd have to get it from the German PSN, but once downloaded you could use it fine anywhere.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Sakurazuka posted:

No the DLC has to match the region of the game so you'd have to get it from the German PSN.

Gotcha, cheers.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Does PS+ usually get the price knocked down around the holidays or is it $59.99 all the time?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Does PS+ usually get the price knocked down around the holidays or is it $59.99 all the time?
Discounts happen, but they seem to be getting increasingly rarer.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

henpod posted:

That's what I figure - there are loads of guns in the game. I just approach the base, Fulton a few dudes and then open fire and explosions from a rooftop - poo poo gets done a lot faster.

I was enjoying being all stealthy for about the same 10%. One day I was playing and only had half an hour before I had to stop and thought to myself 'i'm gonna gently caress poo poo up, who cares' and that is when it hit me and I totally got it.
I think the player steadily devolving into a get the job done by any means necessary mindset & getting increasingly sloppy and ruthless was probably kojimas desire, although it's not exactly spelled out or telegraphed.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

cubicle gangster posted:

I was enjoying being all stealthy for about the same 10%. One day I was playing and only had half an hour before I had to stop and thought to myself 'i'm gonna gently caress poo poo up, who cares' and that is when it hit me and I totally got it.
I think the player steadily devolving into a get the job done by any means necessary mindset & getting increasingly sloppy and ruthless was probably kojimas desire, although it's not exactly spelled out or telegraphed.

No, actually the game is just unfinished and repetitive.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

JBP posted:

Do you leave your car in the garage with the engine running until the next time you go for a drive?

The thing about cars is that they're vastly more effective at ruining the earth than resting PS4s, even if they're only running when you intend to use them. I don't own a car, which reduces my carbon footprint by probably a shitload of resting PS4s per day. So it seems bizarre to worry about PS4s when the auto and oil industries are currently devouring the planet. The EU regulates power consumption from resting electronics, which is great, but Europe is also way better about car dependency than the US.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 25, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

acksplode posted:

The thing about cars is that they're vastly more effective at ruining the earth than resting PS4s, even if they're only running when you intend to use them. I don't own a car, which reduces my carbon footprint by probably a shitload of resting PS4s per day. So it seems bizarre to worry about PS4s when the auto and oil industries are currently devouring the planet. The EU regulates power consumption from resting electronics, which is great, but Europe is also way better about car dependency than the US.

Also, if everyone stopped using cars tomorrow, it would only reduce the carbon footprint of human race by maybe 3%. So like, a giant container ship carrying a million tons of fidget spinners across the pacific is worse for the environment that all the car traffic in my entire city.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I personally think leaving things in rest mode wastes money.
If we all collectively turned everything off, that would make a difference. But I have learned long ago that most people don't give a poo poo.

Since I have no car and none of my things ever stay in rest mode, I can keep flying to the UK for a boozing weekend twice a year without worring about my carbon footprint. And more holidays in Asia.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hopper posted:

I personally think leaving things in rest mode wastes money.
If we all collectively turned everything off, that would make a difference. But I have learned long ago that most people don't give a poo poo.

People are willing to waste electricity to preserve convenience, convenience being the official American ideology. Like, that extra 30 seconds of boot time is a sticking point with people for some reason, they can't just push the power button and then go drink a glass of water or take a piss or thumb through their mail or whathaveyou :laffo:

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Hopper posted:

Since I have no car and none of my things ever stay in rest mode, I can keep flying to the UK for a boozing weekend twice a year without worring about my carbon footprint. And more holidays in Asia.

Most places report the PS4 consuming about 10 Watts of power when in standby mode. That's equivalent to the power used by a 60W equivalent energy saving lightbulb (which consumes around 11 Watts of power). 11 Watts of power leads to around 7 grams of CO2 emissions per hour (assuming 650g of CO2 emissions per KWh). That means that leaving your PS4 in rest mode for a whole year is equivalent to approximately 0.06132 tons of CO2 emitted.

On average, a return flight from the USA to London generates between 2 and 3 tons of CO2 emissions per person.

Keep it up, Captain Planet!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope a popular new PS4 game comes out soon

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Might be a new low for the PS4 thread.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

People are willing to waste electricity to preserve convenience, convenience being the official American ideology. Like, that extra 30 seconds of boot time is a sticking point with people for some reason, they can't just push the power button and then go drink a glass of water or take a piss or thumb through their mail or whathaveyou :laffo:

Ha, jokes on you. We don't drink water, its all been poisoned, from fracking, for electricity.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Sakurazuka posted:

I hope a popular new PS4 game comes out soon

Wolfenstein comes out Friday, can't wait

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same, I'm probably more excited for that than new Mario.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Sakurazuka posted:

Same, I'm probably more excited for that than new Mario.

Cursed Images

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This discussion made me curious about how much power a car's keyfob listener consumes; according to this writeup it's pretty minuscule (5.2 mA at 3.3V before dynamic power-saving measures).

My PS4 consumes much more when I leave it resting, which I do solely to piss off people ITT

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Gamefly keeps sending me other poo poo on my queue instead of Wolfenstein: The New Order :mad: -- do we know much about how necessary it is to play the first one to enjoy the upcoming sequel?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Might be a new low for the PS4 thread.

You born yesterday? This ain't even close.

haveblue posted:

My PS4 consumes much more when I leave it resting, which I do solely to piss off people ITT

Paradoxically, I actually consider this a valid reason.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Montalvo posted:

Gamefly keeps sending me other poo poo on my queue instead of Wolfenstein: The New Order :mad: -- do we know much about how necessary it is to play the first one to enjoy the upcoming sequel?

From everything we've seen in the trailers it's basically a remake. Play New Order because it's good. don't worry about continuity.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

CBJSprague24 posted:

it still drops to ~$48 every month or two but i'm not sure i've seen much lower than that since the price hike.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Liver Disaster posted:

From everything we've seen in the trailers it's basically a remake. Play New Order because it's good. don't worry about continuity.

Yeah, it's absolutely not a story game. The story is only important insofar as it explains why you're now killing nazis against this backdrop and not a different one.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

haveblue posted:

Yeah, it's absolutely not a story game. The story is only important insofar as it explains why you're now killing nazis against this backdrop and not a different one.

I'd really like it if the DO4M people made Wolfen5tein. That had the best story. Rip and tear nazi guts.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

can you skip the cutscenes in the new wolfenstein

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The story in New Order is actually really good and has really well written dialogue . Better than 99% of game story lines.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So I just stumbled across a vid on YouTube that indicates you can glitch the store into downloading games for free.

Apparently it involves moving through the menus too quickly for the system to catch up whilst dicking around with language settings or some such.

Any truth to this? Though I don't doubt that Sony will easily disable any games downloaded this way eventually if it does work.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kin posted:

So I just stumbled across a vid on YouTube that indicates you can glitch the store into downloading games for free.

Apparently it involves moving through the menus too quickly for the system to catch up whilst dicking around with language settings or some such.

Any truth to this? Though I don't doubt that Sony will easily disable any games downloaded this way eventually if it does work.

I doubt it. I wouldn't disbelieve it happened at some point somehow but I doubt it's easily replicated.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Kin posted:

Did you know if you press the buttons on a vending machine fast enough it will dispense soda for free?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Back in high school we had pop machines that sometimes displayed "WINNER" on the little LCD screen and gave you a second can/bottle for free, maybe the PSN's something like that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Actually if you enter your payment info backwards it opens the store in developer mode.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Why go through all that trouble when it's easier to just hack the Gibson? Alternatively, if you really want to do a timing based attack, access the Metaverse from a cellular link aboard an aircraft carrier, drive your virtual motorcycle to the antipode of main street, then use your katana to stab through the wall. Don't hesitate, you need to be past the wall before the cellular link gets back the collision data that tells your computer that you can't do what you just did.

And, for pity's sake, if the PSN asks you if you'd like to play a game, pick chess, not global thermonuclear war.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

acksplode posted:

I turn off electronics because power costs money in the same way as fuel does. I don't need a car either which is nice, but I try to turn off everything for my wallet's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Anyone know how to escalate an issue or contact a higher manager with PSN?

2-factor authentication has me locked out of my account because I forgot to disable it before changing countries and losing my registered phone number. I spoke with support, gave a bunch of validating info to prove it was me and was told my case would be elevated to have the 2-factor authentication removed. They said it would only take 24-48 hours for me to receive a response.

It's been a week and a half. Each time I recontact support they say it's still processing, but not to worry as I'll definitely be contacted within the remaining work hours of that day! Which never actually happens. They won't give me any further info or options to inquire further.

There are hundreds of dollars worth of games locked in that account and Sony doesn't seem too bothered by the issue.