Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CharlesM posted:

So, before Subaru or Mazda get a diesel to N.A. (That's never going to happen now)

They'll be putting they skyactiv-t in an AWD speed3 wagon to compete with the subaru levorg when they bring it to north america.

So yeah, never, here's the new impreza, look at it's wacky new character line, isn't it fun?

They kept their boring rear end character line, slapped a mazda 3 character line on top of that, and for good measure aped the fat belly lower line from the 1 series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

They'll be putting they skyactiv-t in an AWD speed3 wagon to compete with the subaru levorg when they bring it to north america.

So yeah, never, here's the new impreza, look at it's wacky new character line, isn't it fun?

They kept their boring rear end character line, slapped a mazda 3 character line on top of that, and for good measure aped the fat belly lower line from the 1 series.

That is just a mess of random proportions and lines shooting all over the place. It takes things that work individually on different cars and throws them all together to no success. Wow.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

CharlesM posted:

So, before Subaru or Mazda get a diesel to N.A. (That's never going to happen now)

Mazada said recently the diesel is coming but so is Christmas (in 2025)...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fknlo posted:

That is just a mess of random proportions and lines shooting all over the place. It takes things that work individually on different cars and throws them all together to no success. Wow.

Every time i look at it, i find something more hosed up, like how they wanted the whole mazda 3 line front to back, but didn't want to move the rear door handle so it just kinks around it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Modern car design (that's not million dollar hypercars) is ugly as gently caress and entirely too busy.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I miss when cars were rectangles with lights or looked like a doorstop.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah i mean back in the day for every 240z there's a thousand Pontiac 6000s

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would rather stare at a Pontiac 6000 than whatever the gently caress that new Impreza is supposed to be.

I think I've mentioned this before but the 2010 Impreza base sedan and the 2010 Kia Rio are nearly indistinguishable from each other in traffic. loving shameful.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
But....

Is the Kia made by LOVE?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Between the years of 1978-1991/2 there were 4 types of bodystyle

- 2 rectangles
- 3 rectangles
- 1 rectangle
- Wedge

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Human Grand Prix posted:

- 2 rectangles
- 3 rectangles
- 1 rectangle
- Wedge

And these are still better than soft edged rectangles in varying number with seemingly random bodylines that do nothing and go nowhere.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Terrible Robot posted:

I would rather stare at a Pontiac 6000 than whatever the gently caress that new Impreza is supposed to be.

I think I've mentioned this before but the 2010 Impreza base sedan and the 2010 Kia Rio are nearly indistinguishable from each other in traffic. loving shameful.

well you can tell the new one now with all the lines and poo poo

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Human Grand Prix posted:

- 2 rectangles
- 3 rectangles
- 1 rectangle
- Wedge

What about the 1 rectangle with a wedge on top? (Hatchbacks).

Also, everyone needs to be aware of this:

fknlo posted:

Flyin Miata has done their thing with an ND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02cCXkFPmAc

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

88h88 posted:

And these are still better than soft edged rectangles in varying number with seemingly random bodylines that do nothing and go nowhere.

I would be quite happy with a nice boxy Grand National body but with a 400hp engine that gets 30+mpg and a modern interior. There may be some bad cars today but there are still plenty of middle of the road designs. I don't find my Optima to be too busy and quite like the body style. I feel like it's mainly Toyota that's making GBS threads the bed lately but this new Impreza certainly looks bad.

davebo fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 1, 2016

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Terrible Robot posted:

The 2011 Rio is one of the early Peter Schreyer designs, it is fine for a cheap compact car. Which the Impreza is also.

fknlo posted:

Dunno it's not good looking the but the proportions are typical boring FWD car proportions.

The lines will probably look fine IRL i.e. pretty much invisible instead of in specially lit promo shots.

The rear kickback makes a lot more sense on the hatch, too.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 1, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Human Grand Prix posted:

- 2 rectangles
- 3 rectangles
- 1 rectangle
- Wedge

Excuse me, there was a ton of variety in the 80s.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Powershift posted:

And they're all loving cool too.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

The styling is all similar but the actual proportions of those cars are totally different and if you see them IRL (or even in non-myspace-angle profile shots) you can immediately get a feel for that.

80s styling was actually pretty sweet because it made you focus on proportions and not on stupid fake bullshit contours used to hide ugly-rear end proportions like on modern cars. Unfortunately this wouldn't work now because all cars are FWD and fat as hell so they need a lot of lipstick to distract from their basic piggishness.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

My favourite thing about a lot of modern cars is the large sections of the lower half of them that's black from the factory in order to fool you into thinking they're not as lardy as they actually are.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
If you look, that weird character line is actually a scooped out section

Also note the large greenhouse (for a modern car), slim A pillars, and lack of black plastic cladding.

The proportions of the new Impreza are honestly pretty good for a modern compact car.

The contouring in the front end is a little tortured, though.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 1, 2016

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

88h88 posted:

My favourite thing about a lot of modern cars is the large sections of the lower half of them that's black from the factory in order to fool you into thinking they're not as lardy as they actually are.

This is the same strategy I employ.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Coredump posted:

This is the same strategy I employ.

Same.

Me IRL

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Mange Mite posted:

Also note the large greenhouse (for a modern car), slim A pillars, and lack of black plastic cladding.

The proportions of the new Impreza are honestly pretty good for a modern compact car.

yeah, this looks a lot better than the outgoing hatchback

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Terrible Robot posted:

The Rio has been aping the Impreza for some time. I think it was 2004 when some dealer in Australia (judging from the plates) offered something they called the Rio "Sport Pac".

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

donut posted:

The Rio has been aping the Impreza for some time. I think it was 2004 when some dealer in Australia (judging from the plates) offered something they called the Rio "Sport Pac".

That wasn't just a dealer in australia. That was a legit factory order package.

there is still some guy driving a silver one around town here with knockoff TE37s and it makes me giggle every time i see it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mange Mite posted:

I almost think the larger greenhouse might be a visual trick since the door is still well above the shoulder level of that guy inside and there doesn't seem to be a foot of headroom for him either. I don't understand it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Mange Mite posted:

Its definitely better on the hatgan than on the sedan.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I wouldn't say the new Impreza is ugly, per se. It's not especially pretty either. It's just kind of car-shaped.

Which is why it's the wrong look for an Impreza, which used to be distinctive and recognizable. As the new Crosstrek or whatever, it's pretty nice.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm getting closer and closer to sorting my finances out enough that I can finance a new car, why won't they make a Forester XT with a manual again. :(

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Powershift posted:

What is that 2nd from top on the left?

Truly the golden age of coupe design

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slothrop posted:

What is that 2nd from top on the left?

Truly the golden age of coupe design

Nissan 200sx

It would be neat depressing to update that with their modern equivalents.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Powershift posted:

Nissan 200sx

It would be neat depressing to update that with their modern equivalents.

What would even be on it?

Cayman, BRZ, Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, GT-86, Miata RF, Altima Coupe, Accord Coupe, GenCoupe?

That's actually a less depressing list than I originally thought, but it took a lot of thinking to come up with all of 'em.

edit: Nissan still makes the Z, I guess.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

I wasn't complaining. 80s styling is basically perfect.

Also, the MA70 Supra is way, way better looking than the JZA80.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

First edition of the MA70 is also better than the 89 onwards one. I may be biased though. It has a better bumper and the body line that runs 360 is better in black.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What would even be on it?

Cayman, BRZ, Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, GT-86, Miata RF, Altima Coupe, Accord Coupe, GenCoupe?

That's actually a less depressing list than I originally thought, but it took a lot of thinking to come up with all of 'em.

edit: Nissan still makes the Z, I guess.

Because half of that list would be blacked out. no starion, no supra, nothing interesting from mazda or porsche.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

88h88 posted:

First edition of the MA70 is also better than the 89 onwards one. I may be biased though. It has a better bumper and the body line that runs 360 is better in black.

This is one of my favorite cars and I'd get one at the drop of a hat if I could find one in good working condition.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Wasn't there some rumor about Toyota bringing back the supra, or did I just dream that?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
2019 maybe. The FT-1 was a preview of it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Wasn't there some rumor about Toyota bringing back the supra, or did I just dream that?

Yeah, going to be shared with the BMW Z5. I heard there were a lot of people who wanted BMW reliability but wanted a toyota badge on their car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Powershift posted:

Because half of that list would be blacked out. no starion, no supra, nothing interesting from mazda or porsche.

You're not counting the Cayman?