Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

My Lovely Horse posted:

Got another download code to share: Poverty by Motorama, a contemporary Russian post-punk band. Go to http://dl.reverberation.fr/motorama_pvt, the code is ATIF_4606, and please give a heads-up if you've grabbed it.

If you're on the fence you can give it a listen on Bandcamp (rec: Red Drop and Old), and if you like it and the code's already gone I guess you're already more than halfway to buying it

e: not getting compensated for this post, one thing just kinda led to another :v:

Grabbed this, thanks! I checked the Bandcamp and these guys are exactly the kind of stuff I adore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

Red Drop and Old are definite bangers, but Heavy Wave and Impractical Advice are also stand-outs so far.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
dredg put Leitmotif on all streaming services and are releasing a vinyl version tomorrow sometime. Great album and dredg stuff is kind of hard to come by.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

angrygodofjebus posted:

dredg put Leitmotif on all streaming services and are releasing a vinyl version tomorrow sometime. Great album and dredg stuff is kind of hard to come by.

this is good news. I sold my vinyl copy of leitmotif years ago and have regretted it since

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

In doing research for another project I stumbled on this upcoming release from Captured Tracks. “That dude looks like Scott Thompson,” I thought.

https://capturedtracks.com/artist/mouth-congress/

quote:

Mouth Congress began as a dare...

Paul Bellini and Scott Thompson’s friend Brian Hiltz always had a rock band and dreamed of being Pete Townsend. Having no musical talent, all Paul could do was dream. One day in 1984, Brian rented a beatbox from a local music store. Paul was fascinated by this thing, which played whacky mambo and samba beats. And then Brian dared Paul to start his own band, so he rented that beatbox and set it up in the basement on top of an old freezer in the house where they lived.

At the time, Paul’s sister Christine, who also lived in the house, was dating Rob Rowatt. He brought over his electric guitar and they jammed in the basement. Then Christine’s high school friend Gord Disley came over with his guitar. Later that same week, Scott Thompson came by for a visit, and together they had a massive jam session that yielded about thirty short, ridiculous songs, mostly about genitalia and identity.

Pleased with the results, they set out to find a name. At the time, Christine was studying Hinduism and had a copy of the Sir Richard Burton translation of the Kama Sutra. Their eyes fell upon ‘mouth congress,’ his term for oral sex. Still in their mid 20s and coming to terms with their homosexuality, Scott and Paul decided that this was the ideal name for their rock band.

For a while, they recorded everything on a standard cassette tape recorder with a condenser mic. The results were generally unlistenable, so they upgraded to a Tascam 4-track recorder. Most of the songs on Waiting For Henry were recorded in this fashion, over a period of nine years and in at least nine different Toronto-area houses or apartments.

The band’s approach to lyrics was unusual. Because Scott was a sketch comedian, he was always inventing new characters. They decided rock’n’roll was the ideal form in which to explore homosexual experiences. They did all the recording and mixing with whatever musicians were around at the time. Paul enjoyed filtering Scott’s vocals through guitar pedals like a phase shifter or a wah wah pedal. Scott loved edgy topical material, like sexuality, race, and gender issues, though sometimes the songs were just pure nonsense. Without trying, they were surprisingly cutting edge. It wasn’t long before Scott, a performer by nature, decided that Mouth Congress should appear live at The Rivoli - the Toronto club where The Kids in the Hall performed most often. They sang songs about cigarettes and the Holy Ghost to a flummoxed audience.

Over the next three years, Mouth Congress did dozens of live shows with various combinations of Rob, Gord, or Brian, and often including Steve Keeping on drums and Tom King on keyboards and vocals. They also had several bass players – Blaine Vanstone, Steve Gelling, and Tim O’Neil, who, in true Spinal Tap fashion, have all since passed away. They are remembered fondly, and Paul and Scott continue to keep a close eye on the current bass players.

The live shows gained a reputation for being theatrical, to say the least, as they combined props, sets, multiple costume changes, unusual song choices, lots of guest stars, and Scott’s stand-up comedy. Unlike other bands, Mouth Congress didn’t just have a set list – they wrote whole scripts. In 1988, they decided to record a 7-song demo tape. The tracks were recorded quickly, as the Kids in the Hall were about to go to New York City to spend a year developing their material for Broadway Video. Then, caught up in the excitement of The Kids in the Hall being signed to television, they neglected to distribute the demo tape. Making the TV show was so time-consuming that Mouth Congress activities slowed to a crawl.

In 2011, Paul dug out an old VHS tape of one of the live shows. It was footage of Scott singing (or rather, screaming) a noisy punk song called “Showland.” In it, he strips down to his underwear, peeling off layer after layer of clothing until almost naked on stage. The sight of one of the Kids in the Hall covered in sweat, writhing on stage like Iggy Pop, was something he felt comedy fans might actually enjoy seeing. Naturally, Scott agreed and they decided to make a ‘documentary’ about the band. At the same time, Gord Disley suggested they upload some classic Mouth Congress songs to Bandcamp, so they dumped everything - over 600 recordings - onto the site. Some of them were just jams, crude beyond description. Others were professionally produced, and many were live tracks. Mouth Congress never made much of a distinction between the stuff that sounded like real music and the stuff that was just creative ‘junk’. They loved all their creations equally.

One day in 2019, Mike Sniper of Captured Tracks stumbled upon the Bandcamp page, got in touch with Paul and Scott, and suggested assembling a compilation of the best recordings to be officially released for the very first time. So Paul and Scott chose 30 songs to share with the world and that’s how we got the first Mouth Congress compilation, Waiting for Henry.

Who is Henry? We don’t really know, but we certainly hope he shows up soon.

I listened to a few of their tracks and was quite pleased. You can hear “The People Have Spoken” on the Mouth Congress Bandcamp page here.

https://twitter.com/capturedtracks/status/1457795306360393729?s=21

quote:

2xLP pressed on Tan & Blue vinyl and includes a 36-page booklet with interviews and ephemera. First 300 copies come with photo print signed by Paul Bellini and Scott Thompson.

I wanted to order from Bandcamp for the download copies and to have it in my Bandcamp collection, but the photo print appears to only be available from the label’s webstore. I did ask them on Twitter about the inclusion of a download and Matt Brinkworth, head of digital poo poo, replied thusly:

https://twitter.com/brnkwrth/status/1458087346583359498?s=21

Which suits me. Hopefully they’ll provide a redemption code for Bandcamp but anything is better than nothing. I don’t know if they’ve hit 300 orders yet but based on Twitter and Facebook engagement with their posts, I’d say the odds are good.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I've been trying not to buy records but Scott Thompson making songs is a must have for me. I'm so glad you posted this, I'd never heard of it.

You can get 15% off if you buy it from the label and use the code 15OFFABANDONED. Plus it's already two bucks cheaper on there compared to Bandcamp.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 15, 2021

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Oh poo poo I didn't think the Mouth Congress LP was gonna happen, I've had the Ahh the Pollution 45 since whatever RSD it came out. Thanks for posting about it pwn. Ordered.

Also, I have bought music poo poo at the thrift store but none of it was records.

I do however get a kick whenever I find CDs from the 80s. Early CDs are fun!

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

CPL593H posted:

I've been trying not to buy records but Scott Thompson making songs is a must have for me. I'm so glad you posted this, I'd never heard of it.

You can get 15% off if you buy it from the label and use the code 15OFFABANDONED. Plus it's already two bucks cheaper on there compared to Bandcamp.

Thanks I bought this too, code makes it basically free shipping.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

phosdex posted:

Thanks I bought this too, code makes it basically free shipping.

Yeah, I did too. I know virtually nothing about it, but just the idea of two gay men in the 80s trying to come to terms with their sexuality through making a record, and one of those men is Scott Thompson, it made it an immediate buy for me. Plus it's like the first preorder I've seen all year that looks like it'll actually be released in a matter of weeks instead of a 6 month preorder with additional delays.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

What's the point of a Blue Man Group CD, wasn't that more visual performance art?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

TOOT BOOT posted:

What's the point of a Blue Man Group CD, wasn't that more visual performance art?

They do in fact make electronic music and music out of all those DIY pvc pipe instruments. I haven't listened to it yet but I suspect it will be 90s as gently caress.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

petit choux posted:

If you haven't figured it out, I'm the kind of collector who gathers records based on whether they contain good material for sampling.

I have a good number of those. Language learning records are pretty great too.

I need to figure out how to get some of that Sci Fi vinyl for cheap.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

My Lovely Horse posted:

Got another download code to share: Poverty by Motorama, a contemporary Russian post-punk band. Go to http://dl.reverberation.fr/motorama_pvt, the code is ATIF_4606, and please give a heads-up if you've grabbed it.

If you're on the fence you can give it a listen on Bandcamp (rec: Red Drop and Old), and if you like it and the code's already gone I guess you're already more than halfway to buying it

e: not getting compensated for this post, one thing just kinda led to another :v:

I like this very much, thank you.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

angrygodofjebus posted:

this is available now if any lurkers were interested

https://dredg.merchnow.com/products/v2/335715/leitmotif-20th-anniversary-green

apparently started with about 1000 copies in stock 30 minutes ago and is now down to 155 so be quick

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Cool, I got one. Shipping 7/22, yikes. I will have long forgotten about this purchase by then.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
just bought this for some reason

https://www.discogs.com/release/3150681-Barbara-Markay-Hot-Box

if you're a fan of any of those "Worst album covers" FB groups you probably see "Give Your Dick to Me" posted on a weekly basis. turns out it's actually a really catchy disco song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE4KowTk0C4

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I got a package today

Inverse of "side 3"

The other items in my package:

I got a space ship trading card, apparently my friend got a stripper baseball card, lucky bastard!

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Hell yeah Slough Feg

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Some customer reviews for the vinyl pressing of Taylor Swift's Red re-recording are distraught by the bold decision to have a man sing her vocals instead:

Edit:
For clarity, it's 45 rpm

interpunct fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 16, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

These people are why everything is so loving expensive.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Pardon my ignorance but I assume these are 45rpm, not 33? If so, did these loving morons not notice the music is slowed down/lower pitch too?

Just gunna leave this here to point out Taytay ain't got poo poo on Dolly. https://youtu.be/doz1QJ7LwjA

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
it's a 4LP set so I assumed it was 45rpm, but it has 4 tracks per side which makes me think it'd be 33rpm? there are no labels on the records with track lists or rpm or anything because none of these collectors rereleases from hell actually expect anyone to attempt to play them

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I tried to play all 4 vinyls at the same time and my suitcase caught fire. Very poor.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

EL BROMANCE posted:

I tried to play all 4 vinyls at the same time and my suitcase caught fire. Very poor.

Try unplugging it and counting to 10, then plug it back in and try playing them again.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

it's a 4LP set so I assumed it was 45rpm, but it has 4 tracks per side which makes me think it'd be 33rpm? there are no labels on the records with track lists or rpm or anything because none of these collectors rereleases from hell actually expect anyone to attempt to play them

A lot of the people who buy this junk don't even own a turntable they just use the download card and hang the record on the wall.

stealie72 posted:

Pardon my ignorance but I assume these are 45rpm, not 33? If so, did these loving morons not notice the music is slowed down/lower pitch too?

Just gunna leave this here to point out Taytay ain't got poo poo on Dolly. https://youtu.be/doz1QJ7LwjA

That's not Dolly Parton that's the White Stripes version.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 16, 2021

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
do people even use the download cards? figure no one actually manages a folder of mp3s in 2021 except for the virtual equivalent of vinyl collectors; i've been using spotify for like a decade at this point

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

interpunct posted:

Some customer reviews for the vinyl pressing of Taylor Swift's Red re-recording are distraught by the bold decision to have a man sing her vocals instead:

Edit:
For clarity, it's 45 rpm

:laffo:

pwn
May 27, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

do people even use the download cards? figure no one actually manages a folder of mp3s in 2021 except for the virtual equivalent of vinyl collectors; i've been using spotify for like a decade at this point

I always do and have been distressed by their increasing omission over the past 12-ish months. Matt Brinkworth, in the aforementioned Tweet, says the submission rate was low,* so tonight I had to craft a damned email to Omnian to plead for a download (and a retroactive application of that coupon code I somehow missed!!) because want to own this music in the digital realm. I like to use Bandcamp app on my phone while I’m out, I like having wav files to archive and burn CDs, I like flexibility. I guess I’m the virtual equivalent of a vinyl collector. I use Spotify but guess what, most of the music I have in my Bandcamp isn’t on Spotify. An artist can remove their catalogue from Spotify. Your favourite singer is canceled and Spotify removes their catalogue themselves. You’re on walkabout and you have no reception. I enjoy the convenience of streamers but I will not depend on gatekeepers to access music. If you don’t have it, you don’t own it

*But I am also steadfast in my belief that, with the skyrocketing popularity of vinyl, they have figured out that they don’t have to be nice anymore. Downloads used to be a way to incentivize people to buy physical media again, when downloaded music was king nigh on 12, 13 years ago (see also: including a CD copy with a vinyl.) Now that people are gonna buy records no matter what, you can give them less and charge more. Same poo poo happened with DVDs: When they were new, they would have inserts, leaflets, full colour disc art, cases that weren’t riddled with punchouts ( :airquote: Eco Cases :airquote: ), because studios knew they had to wow consumers into buying them. By the 2010s, DVDs (and Blu-rays) routinely shipped with plain disc art, no-frills menus, sometimes no menu at all, and empty insert trays. Ok grandpa is done ranting.

pwn fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 16, 2021

pwn
May 27, 2004

Also i’m really happy that y’all are gettin on the mouth congress train :madmax:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I have to have 200+ download cards at this point and have redeemed like one. Spotify has more than enough to keep me occupied when I'm not listening to records.

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
I've always redeemed codes (at least for things I didn't already have digitally) and like to buy from bandcamp when it's not more expensive than the label's site for that reason, but I've always viewed them more as a nice bonus when they're there rather than something to expect. I attribute this to being a fan of a lot of Drag City artists, and they've never included codes as far as I know.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I've redeemed most codes as I do a lot of listening on an old rear end mp3 player at work, so I don't run down my phone battery constantly. This of course assumes I haven't pirated it already or been totally insane and doubled dipped on a CD version. Which lol at the price differences for the Mouth Congress CD vs digital download only on bandcamp. They are banking on selling out of CDs quickly it appears.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

The new Green-House record came in the mail finally. If you like Mort Garson type stuff and new age check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfQ-IMue0ks

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I do not have a music subscription to anything so yes I do maintain a folder of mp3s and redeem download codes.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I've strictly only ever used physical media, vinyl records obviously being the primary media. I slowed down on buying CDs when I got serious about record collecting and ceased buying them for anything other than comedy albums about ten years ago. I actually grabbed a few CDs at Savers recently because I'm strongly considering returning to CDs despite my longstanding reluctance.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
ordering new albums on vinyl kinda sucks, because you usually don't get it for 2 weeks and by then most of the discussion online is over. but listening to something for the first time on wax is pretty cool.

so I guess I can say now, the new They Might be Giants album is really quite good on 1st listen? I think I liked every single song which is kinda rare for TMBG

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

I will never switch to streaming as long as digital storefronts exist for music. Seems like I'm in the minority there, though. I like ownership even if it's just iTunes.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I just pirate digital copies of music I own physical copies of that aren’t on streaming services. I don’t feel bad about it at all.

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

i sometimes use the cards. like, i use spotify but i also have my CD collection and vinyls backed up on my HDD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

JAMOOOL posted:

ordering new albums on vinyl kinda sucks, because you usually don't get it for 2 weeks and by then most of the discussion online is over. but listening to something for the first time on wax is pretty cool.

so I guess I can say now, the new They Might be Giants album is really quite good on 1st listen? I think I liked every single song which is kinda rare for TMBG

Great news that they're still playing together. Back in the 80s I'd just buy random mixtapes at garage sales and one of them had their first album.