Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I loved TNO, it's probably my favourite FPS of all time just for the atmosphere and its incredibly well realised vision of a world gone horribly, terribly wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I was just listening to the Waypoint Radio podcast where they discuss the game and I remember how good that scene on the train was. No, not for the confrontation with the Nazi lady or the sex scene, but for how they set it up with the whole broken coffee machine moment, even down to the detail they put into the animation of the coffee spilling over.

Like, the game has a cinematic feel that is pretty understated, and I know it sounds strange to use that word for a game where you dual wield miniguns, but it really is, like it has a lot of film noir touches to it. Also the monologuing is just great

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I often have to stop myself from describing the game as 'realistic' because it's obviously not and actually blatantly ridiculous, but it does such a job job with the world it creates that it feels realistic, if we lived in a world where Nazi mecha guard dogs could exist.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
TNO is really good and it's a shame that Old Blood starts off really bad. Both games really wanted to stealth through some of the sections, pretty much required on higher difficulties. But man that wasn't nearly as fun as just shooting everything.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I am very happy that Taiko Master is now on the PS4.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I can say without hesitation that BJ Blazkowitz garners a genuine emotional response from me in a way that Doom guy, Gordon Freeman, Booker Dewitt, Adam Jensen and Corvo couldn’t touch.

The scene where BJ describes being in a brain dead coma after the first mission, with its music and amazing editing, genuine got me invested in what should be the most obvious story of all time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I can say without hesitation that BJ Blazkowitz garners a genuine emotional response from me in a way that Doom guy, Gordon Freeman, Booker Dewitt, Adam Jensen and Corvo couldn’t touch.

The scene where BJ describes being in a brain dead coma after the first mission, with its music and amazing editing, genuine got me invested in what should be the most obvious story of all time.

For real.
The voice actor is really good.
The scene where you stab the Nazi to death in the hospital and call him Nazi scum is like Top 5 gaming moments ever.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The New Order is really good and I look forward to playing The New Colossus. The Old Blood is... not great though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I thought The Old Blood was fine once you got past the semi-forced stealth bit at the start. It lacked TNO's crazier alt history stuff that was the selling point for me and the final boss sucked but there were a lot more opportunities to just shoot stuff.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The only things I didn't like about the previous Wolfenstein was I thought the in between sections at the base were clunky and I just wished it would load the next level, and I absolutely hated the end boss fight. The reviews I saw so far at least fixed the latter problem, they said the game happily lets you turn the difficulty down whenever you want if you just want to slaughter some Nazis.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If I didn't have a healthy enough backlog and already beat both TNO and Old Blood on PC, I'd buy them again as they're 5€ each, that's a steal.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quantum of Phallus posted:

For real.
The voice actor is really good.
The scene where you stab the Nazi to death in the hospital and call him Nazi scum is like Top 5 gaming moments ever.

One of my favourite bits is Anya's stories about her "Aunt" actually being her and a long string of murdering Nazis as a complete badass. Just makes her a far better character than the generic love interest.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Well, Gamefly just told me they shipped The New Colossus to me today so I guess I'll go watch a LP of TNO.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Has anyone else tried Observer? I was curious when I first heard about it and I’ve seen it compared to Soma, which I loved, so I got it during the Halloween sale and so far I’m kind of disappointed. I’ve only played about an hour, and I’m sure it’ll pick up and pull me in eventually, but that first hour was underwhelming.

The voice acting is… It’s not bad, but it’s annoying. Obnoxiously slow. Even Rutger Hauer (star of “Blind Fury”!) is giving a disappointing performance, but I’m mostly thinking of the augmented superintendent from the apartment building or the different tenant cameras. The subtitles also kind of ruin the delivery, but there’s not much you can do about that.

I also don’t like the 2 vision overlays. I’ve only solved one “puzzle”, and in retrospect I didn’t even need to use them that much to solve it, but at the time I scoured the whole loving apartment twice with both because there were a million red herrings leading to useless fluff lore items, which leads to the “Arkham Asylum” effect of making a beautiful game look like poo poo because you’re watching 70% of it through an amber filter.

But the most annoying thing so far was that I feel like the game objectives are completely disconnected from the cutscenes and dialogue, either because of the game direction or glitches. At the very beginning of the game, it feels like the call from your son(? maybe?) interrupts the first call you were on, but afterward, you never get back to that first call and whatever you were talking about gets dismissed and you're on your way to investigate. Inside the apartment, my objective changed to "escape the apartment" before I even noticed that I was trapped, and when I managed to leave, my objective changed to "identify the woman caller" and I had absolutely no idea what the objective was about. I read the first part of a walktrough out of curiosity and it doesn't mention anything that would explain the objective, so I'm wondering if it's something that's easy to miss (maybe when you scan the tenant's watch?) or if they removed a voiced line from the game and didn't alter anything.

Based on the trailer, I'm pretty sure I'll love the game once it gets going, but should I get used to this kind of thing, or does it get better as the game moves along? Am I dumb and did I miss something obvious RE: the objectives?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CordlessPen posted:

Has anyone else tried Observer? I was curious when I first heard about it and I’ve seen it compared to Soma, which I loved, so I got it during the Halloween sale and so far I’m kind of disappointed. I’ve only played about an hour, and I’m sure it’ll pick up and pull me in eventually, but that first hour was underwhelming.

The voice acting is… It’s not bad, but it’s annoying. Obnoxiously slow. Even Rutger Hauer (star of “Blind Fury”!) is giving a disappointing performance, but I’m mostly thinking of the augmented superintendent from the apartment building or the different tenant cameras. The subtitles also kind of ruin the delivery, but there’s not much you can do about that.

I also don’t like the 2 vision overlays. I’ve only solved one “puzzle”, and in retrospect I didn’t even need to use them that much to solve it, but at the time I scoured the whole loving apartment twice with both because there were a million red herrings leading to useless fluff lore items, which leads to the “Arkham Asylum” effect of making a beautiful game look like poo poo because you’re watching 70% of it through an amber filter.

But the most annoying thing so far was that I feel like the game objectives are completely disconnected from the cutscenes and dialogue, either because of the game direction or glitches. At the very beginning of the game, it feels like the call from your son(? maybe?) interrupts the first call you were on, but afterward, you never get back to that first call and whatever you were talking about gets dismissed and you're on your way to investigate. Inside the apartment, my objective changed to "escape the apartment" before I even noticed that I was trapped, and when I managed to leave, my objective changed to "identify the woman caller" and I had absolutely no idea what the objective was about. I read the first part of a walktrough out of curiosity and it doesn't mention anything that would explain the objective, so I'm wondering if it's something that's easy to miss (maybe when you scan the tenant's watch?) or if they removed a voiced line from the game and didn't alter anything.

Based on the trailer, I'm pretty sure I'll love the game once it gets going, but should I get used to this kind of thing, or does it get better as the game moves along? Am I dumb and did I miss something obvious RE: the objectives?

I had the exact same experience you had. I turned the game off to play Prey shortly after. I'll get back to it at some point.
Does it make your PS4 fan go crazy?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CordlessPen posted:

I didn't really have any of the latter problems, but I'd give it a couple of hours. i think it's kind of hard to understand what the game was going for in the first hour or so. I enjoyed it from the beginning, but it took me about two hours before i was super hooked. I never had a problem with a clashing narrative, but it is sort of a micro scale open world so it's not impossible.

i will say this. there's more to the game than it seems at the beginning and a lot of crazy interesting poo poo happens. I found the exploration phenomenal. probably in my top 10 games om PS4.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I had my first uh "observation" in observer about 90 minutes in and what the gently caress

I then put the game down for Divinity Original Sin 2 and soon to be Wolfenstein 2 but I'm going to go back. I loved SOMA and I'm digging this game so far.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

I had the exact same experience you had. I turned the game off to play Prey shortly after. I'll get back to it at some point.
Does it make your PS4 fan go crazy?

I haven't noticed anything crazy with the fan, but I have a pro, maybe it's more quiet. Some rooms do make the framerate drop to single digits though. Or maybe when it auto-saves?

Anyway, I do like the game and I think I'l love it when it picks up, I was just confused because it seemed like my character knew more about what was going on than I did, which is annoying, and I wanted to know if I'd done something wrong or if the game was a bit wonky and if it got better as it went on.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I liked Observer but I can't really put my finger on what its strong point is. The puzzles are all really simple, it's very rare that you're in any kind of danger, exploration is straightforward (although there's a lot more of it than first appears). I guess the highlights are the claustrophobic grime-tech aesthetic, the conversations you have with apartment dwellers, and the more imaginative flourishes during observing sequences.

And yeah, there's plenty of jank, the framerate is usually crap (non-pro) and it was pretty glitchy for me.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CordlessPen posted:

I liked Rutger Hauer's performance in the game and overall I'm glad I played it, though I don't think it really survives comparison to SOMA, so don't expect it to top that game's highs. Honestly, despite being sprinkled with thematic references to Amnesia/SOMA and the like, I think Observer has a lot more in common with P.T. in the end, which will be awesome for some players and tiresome for others.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I liked Rutger Hauer's performance in the game

Wait what I guess I'm gonna buy a new game :prepop:

e: I guess he was already mentioned but I didn't read the long post :D

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rutger Hauer's voice in Observer is probably one of the most disturbingly 'off' performances I've ever heard.

Though it did have me worried that that was just his normal voice now...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Rutger Hauer's voice in Observer is probably one of the most disturbingly 'off' performances I've ever heard.

Though it did have me worried that that was just his normal voice now...

Isn't he like 80?

e: Just 73.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah that's why I was worried.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wait what I guess I'm gonna buy a new game :prepop:

e: I guess he was already mentioned but I didn't read the long post :D

He has a sort of laid-back cadence that mixes with his accent and gives the performance overall a sort of uncomfortably hosed up edge.

Like, he'll be talking in certain scenarios to someone with standard dialogue and mid sentence will drift into like a Taxi Driver grocery-list style rant about all the thieves, pimps, whores, junkies, freaks, splicers, etc, etc and it's all played completely straight. There are a number of conversations in the game that just go off the deep end and knock you over the head with dark humor on zero notice.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
If I hated SOMA and quit because I found the enemy encounters horribly obtuse and had to redo them all 10 plus times to progress and it killed any momentum I had exploring the story, would I like Observer?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Snak posted:

If I hated SOMA and quit because I found the enemy encounters horribly obtuse and had to redo them all 10 plus times to progress and it killed any momentum I had exploring the story, would I like Observer?

SOMA is quite a bit better than Observer, I think. Neither game has very many enemy encounters at all, like under 10 encounters for each. SOMA is designed better in that sense (in addition to having a far better story) and Observer has legit Game Over screens which is a bit amateur. Observer does excel at continually pulling the rug from under you, but I think the more gradual scenic and atmospheric arc of SOMA is more enthralling. I think it more boils down to: do you like first-person puzzle-narrative/mystery/horror games?

If you do then Observer is worth playing, though despite Bloober Team's homages to games that came before it won't be unseating SOMA any time soon.

I'm actually really excited to see what Frictional Games comes up with next, apparently they've got 2 secret projects in the works.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

fwiw Observer probably has 1/10th of time spent in enemy encounters of Soma. I'd say 20 minutes out of a 9 hour game are spent playing hide and seek.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
All the games coming out are good

is this the apocalypse?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RatHat posted:

is this the apocalypse?

Buddy, the PS4 generation is already legendary in my eyes and rivalled only by the PC games of '04-'06.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
2017 is seriously knocking it out of the park. It's like 1998 all over again.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Buddy, the PS4 generation is already legendary in my eyes and rivalled only by the PC games of '04-'06.

Word, the quality of new games, the level of connectivity, and access to old game catalogues as well as a revival/remaster culture in full gear...it's almost too much.

Though, I get the impression that younger audiences are jaded with regard to single-player narrative experiences in videogames, maybe because they weren't around for the transitional highs and lows of the golden age ('89-'99) of the console market.

Looking forward to PSX in December. Hopefully Sony has another bigtime japanese localization push for 2018. GIVE ME A TENCHU GAME!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

As much as I talk poo poo about Bethesda, you gotta hand it to them for focusing on single player stuff.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RatHat posted:

is this the apocalypse?

Sonic Forces is out shortly, so no.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Join the Uprising.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Speaking of '04-'06 (and with love of tlou-style small team gameplay), SBH just made an ode to Spies vs Mercs

Man, I really miss Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm playing through SOMA again, and it's still extremely good despite knowing all the secrets and twists and how to beat everything. Especially now that I can compare it to Amnesia. The undersea environment is fantastically oppressive, especially outdoors with the cliffs and structures looming in the distant fog.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Speaking of '04-'06 (and with love of tlou-style small team gameplay), SBH just made an ode to Spies vs Mercs

Man, I really miss Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory.

One of the best multiplayer modes ever.

Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVAWi6K0JzY

Edit: Like I think I mention this every time it comes up, but the way that game used voice comms blew my young mind, you got cross-team comms whenever you grabbed your opponent, so as a spy you could grab a merc, whisper into the comms so their buddy could hear it, and then snap the merc's neck. Stealthed.

Also I think your voice came out of your spy traps as well, so you could set one up, it would look like a ping on the merc's radar so they would check it out, and then you could blast them with sleeping gas while taunting them over the mic. Stealthed

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 27, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

I'm playing through SOMA again, and it's still extremely good despite knowing all the secrets and twists and how to beat everything. Especially now that I can compare it to Amnesia. The undersea environment is fantastically oppressive, especially outdoors with the cliffs and structures looming in the distant fog.

yeah, I feel like if I wasn't somehow broken in the brain and it didn't take me dying to each enemy a dozen times before I could progress I would have really dug the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Snak posted:

yeah, I feel like if I wasn't somehow broken in the brain and it didn't take me dying to each enemy a dozen times before I could progress I would have really dug the game.

SOMA is super forgiving with enemies though. Like if you get hit by one, you usually don't even die until they catch you again. And usually even then when you respawn it puts you closer to your objective and moves the enemy.
It and Amnesia have two of the better survival horror Death mechanics I've played.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

One of the best multiplayer modes ever.

Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVAWi6K0JzY

Edit: Like I think I mention this every time it comes up, but the way that game used voice comms blew my young mind, you got cross-team comms whenever you grabbed your opponent, so as a spy you could grab a merc, whisper into the comms so their buddy could hear it, and then snap the merc's neck. Stealthed.

Also I think your voice came out of your spy cameras as well, so you could set one up, it would look like a ping on the merc's radar so they would check it out, and then you could blast them with sleeping gas while taunting them over the mic. Stealthed

Chaos Theory is a masterpiece. Everything about it is 10/10
Still listen to that soundtrack. Also the lighting... and the voice acting... and the story.... hnggggg