Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

MassRayPer posted:

You only hate this movie because the main character is played by Roderick Strong.

aaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAA gently caress you!

I'm never going to unsee that now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAA gently caress you!

I'm never going to unsee that now

Seriously. You're a bad bad man MRP.

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes

exp0n fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 1, 2014

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
You guys know they are making a Birdemic 2?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Slasherfan posted:

You guys know they are making a Birdemic 2?

Well, "make" is pushing it. More like "Trying to get funding".

And if you think that's bad? Try watching his first movie. It raises Birdemic up to "The Room" levels of competency.

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I'm suprised they haven't done a Rifftrax for Blood Hook yet.
Are there any more movies you can download of the site with the trax like Troll 2?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Just public domain stuff like "Plan 9", "Maniac", and "Boy in the Plastic Bubble". I'm actually surprised they got the rights to "Troll 2" with it being owned by MGM.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

Robert Denby posted:

Just public domain stuff like "Plan 9", "Maniac", and "Boy in the Plastic Bubble". I'm actually surprised they got the rights to "Troll 2" with it being owned by MGM.

Couldn't they get the rights to Blood Hook since some of them directed it?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Jim Mallon produced "Blood Hook" and most of the MST3K cast and crew are not on good terms with him. He's the reason why 'The Film Crew' DVDs took three years to come out, so I doubt Mike, Kevin, and Bill want to ruffle his feathers by making fun of a movie he produced.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Check out the awesome trailer for Birdemic: Shock and Terror!

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi537593625/

The last 10 seconds is the funniest poo poo ever.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

weekly font posted:

Seriously. You're a bad bad man MRP.

And the character's name is actually "Rod" in the film, it's ruined for me now

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

Wow. Birdemic is... wow.
I don't know if merely being a bad movie quite encompasses its wretchedness. It's like saying concentration camps are poorly thought out uses for buildings.
I guess at least Billy from Danger! Deathray is getting work; and now uses a computer for special effects!

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
gently caress. You guys weren't kidding.

I thought it was standard bad-movie levels of bad, but this...I'm only ten minutes in and I've seen better acting from children in local tv commericals. I've never not finished a Rifftrax, but that may change.

edit: I take it back, the riff is way too hilarious to not finish

Locutus of Bald fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 27, 2011

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
After seeing Birdemic, I wish I was dead. I cannot enjoy life anymore it was so horrifically inept at, well every facet of being a movie.

I wish I was the bird that slammed into their van.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
I will never get tired of any riffer singing along with incidental music.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Locutus Of Bored posted:

I will never get tired of any riffer singing along with incidental music.

This.

And I was completely zoned out for like 60 minutes. How the hell do people watch this one without the riff? There is literally not a single thing that occurs until the random bird explosions that kick off the 2nd act.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Just grabbed the two most recent DVDs, and "Little Lost Scent" is one of the most hilarious shorts ever.

Corbett really shines in that one.

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tony Danza Claus posted:

This.

And I was completely zoned out for like 60 minutes. How the hell do people watch this one without the riff? There is literally not a single thing that occurs until the random bird explosions that kick off the 2nd act.

Birdemic is fascinating to watch for all of the horrible dialogue. And "Imagine Peace." I will have to check out the riff soon, I need that movie on Blu Ray anyway.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

MassRayPer posted:

Birdemic is fascinating to watch for all of the horrible dialogue. And "Imagine Peace." I will have to check out the riff soon, I need that movie on Blu Ray anyway.

Why is Birdemic even on Blu Ray? I can't imagine it will have sharper picture and sound. I'm very interested in the commentary tracks.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Had fun finally listening to the rifftrax for X-Men 1 and 2. Shame they never did one for X3 or Origins, as those movies probably deserve a rifftrax more then anything.

That said, the X-Men 1 rifftrax did feel a bit slower pace due to the lack of Kevin, but it was still good. Probably never going to get enough of Magneto/Cerbero.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

"No Kevin, that's our joke!"

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Rirse posted:

Shame they never did one for X3 or Origins, as those movies probably deserve a rifftrax more then anything

Hate to be a broken record, but G.I. Joe is the most deserving movie and I still feel like throwing a tantrum on their facebook page every day until they do it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its funny, in the 10 years of MST3K and the 4 or so of Rifftrax Birdemic has to be the worst movie they've ever done. At least something like Manos or The Room had a plot. Birdemic is just meandering around for 45 minutes until the birds start attacking and then meandering around for the last 45 stopping and getting attacked by birds. Stuff is shot on location, except when its in front of a green screen. Characters are introduced haphazardly and then never mentioned again like Natalie's mom. Character's words and actions don't match up at all, like Rod getting millions of dollars of venture capital for his start up and taking his (supermodel) girlfriend to a loving pumpkin festival before staying the night in a crappy motel.

On another note, the riff had something that's been bothering me for a while. They'll do movies with swearing, nudity and violence but they bleep any swearing on the Riff itself. It seems kind of weird, although they do use it well for some jokes like the end of Birdemic.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

muscles like this? posted:

On another note, the riff had something that's been bothering me for a while. They'll do movies with swearing, nudity and violence but they bleep any swearing on the Riff itself. It seems kind of weird, although they do use it well for some jokes like the end of Birdemic.

I think the general rule is the Riff is the same rating as the movie. They throw poo poo and F-bombs around in the r-rated movies all the time. They censor themselves on the Pg-13 or less films.

And like South Park, I actually kinda find censored cursing a lot funnier. Unless it's particularly well placed (see: This Island Earth, Tom Servo's "whoop-dee-poo poo").

I also kinda like that they're conservative with it. It's far too easy to just fall back on saying "Oh gently caress you" during a character talking to get a cheap laugh.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

...wait, Birdemic was formally rated? I thought it was unrated.

Though it'd probably get a PG-13 (at worst) if it were formally rated, possibly a PG.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Birdemic should've won every technical Oscar. I've never quite seen editing, sound mixing, and visual effects quite like this.

I have no idea what to say about that. The riff is one of their best works I've seen. The movie is like the room in that it's so bad it's amusing, but the riff adds so much to this. The birds don't even show up till halfway through about as abrupt as possible. The best part is all the whole environmental messages that fall flatter than a coke that's been sitting out in the sun for a week.

"Things have been going really well since my lobotomy."

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Tony Danza Claus posted:

I think the general rule is the Riff is the same rating as the movie. They throw poo poo and F-bombs around in the r-rated movies all the time. They censor themselves on the Pg-13 or less films.

I've only heard them say 'gently caress' once, on the "Saw" Rifftrax, Bill dropped a completely uncensored 'motherfucker'.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Birdemic is pretty much this generations Manos. I thought Manos was the worst movie I would ever see in my life time but Birdemic is equally awful. The riff is glorious though.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Tony Danza Claus posted:

This.

And I was completely zoned out for like 60 minutes. How the hell do people watch this one without the riff?

When it first came out, what got me in was the trailer. The complete lack of anything, before the most out of place "CG" birds making bomber noises was the funniest thing I'd ever seen.

What kept me watching it was the insanely awkward dialog and camera work. This movie as the Tim and Eric effect of staying on a shot a bit too long; taking it's sweet time holding on peoples faces as they spout out insane dialog that "almost" sounds like English. It's probably why the actual Tim and Eric like The Room and this film so much. It's pretty much what they do, but not intentionality. I don't need the riff to watch this film, because I enjoy the endurance test of every scene being pushed to the logical extreme. The riff does make it much easier to watch though if you don't care for that kind of humor though.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

People saying Manos was the worst MST3K clearly didn't watch The Wild World of Batwoman, which nigh-unwatchable, even with riffing. The completely incoherent plot, the bad sound levels, the mexican-wrestler villain, the racism played for comedy, footage borrowed from The Mole People, etc, etc.

This is what wikipedia tries to explain the plot as:

quote:

Batwoman employs the services of several gyrating Batgirls to retrieve a nuclear device from her nemesis Rat Fink, a mad scientist who has created the weapon from a hearing aid. There are several chase and dance scenes to break up the main narrative.

Surely Birdemic can't be that bad....can it?

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
I decided to edit one of the scenes in Birdemic to see if I could make it better. I'm not sure if I succeeded. This took me 20 minutes to do using Windows Movie Maker.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE2I3DECyO4

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Well, you cut down on some of the dead air, which helps.

Speaking as a non-film-major, it seems to me that in a 'real' movie, you'd have a better variety of shots to break up the monotony of the back and forth.

That, some times have the girl speaking while the boy is on camera and vice-versa. Not sure what the pattern would be though (maybe focus on the guy while the conversation is on his sales, and on the girl while the conversation is on her new job?)

But that's not stuff you can edit at home. You'd have to have the original uncut footage for that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just now started Birdemic, and the moment the title came up in Arial bold I knew for sure that all the stuff about this "movie" here is absolutely true. Can't wait to see how the story develops (or doesn't).

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

There is some serious Deep Hurting woven into Birdemic.

"You're gonna give them a gun?!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

All the comments on the flubbed lines are hilarious.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

muscles like this? posted:

All the comments on the flubbed lines are hilarious.

So-er Parrels

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Stock options stock options stock options! Holy gently caress this thing really sucks. At least The Room can be watched on its own as an unintentional comedy, but this was barely tolerable even with rifftrax. Sure, I'd burst out laughing each time the CG birds appeared on screen (I could literally do better effects in an hour, and I haven't touched 3D Max in a year), but unlike The Room it doesn't have boobs (or ugly man rear end, thankfully) and is just extremely, agonizingly, boring. Both of these movies seem to really like their panning establishing shots though.

Edit:

drasticactions posted:

Well, "make" is pushing it. More like "Trying to get funding".

He should try asking VCs for 10 million to get started.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 1, 2011

• Locked thread