Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer
https://chrome.googleblog.com/2016/08/flash-and-chrome.html?m=1

Chrome will start to block "behind the scenes" Flash use in the next version and start defaulting to HTML5 by December. Maybe we'll be completely flash free in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

rantAK posted:

https://chrome.googleblog.com/2016/08/flash-and-chrome.html?m=1

Chrome will start to block "behind the scenes" Flash use in the next version and start defaulting to HTML5 by December. Maybe we'll be completely flash free in the near future.

The Chromium blog has more details on what exactly that means. Specifically, Flash files served from a different domain that are smaller than 5x5 will be blocked.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Did Google completely remove the ability to turn off DirectWrite? I'm getting a headache trying to read poo poo in Chrome now.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

According to the flags page, apparently yes.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Sir Unimaginative posted:

According to the flags page, apparently yes.

Well, tremendous. I guess I'm staying on 51 forever, then.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Cabbit posted:

Well, tremendous. I guess I'm staying on 51 forever, then.

Chrome doesn't work that way, and even if it did it'd be a security goatse in months. Get used to it or find a new browser.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Cabbit posted:

Did Google completely remove the ability to turn off DirectWrite? I'm getting a headache trying to read poo poo in Chrome now.

you shouldn't be getting a headache unless something on your drivers is messed up or your os font configuration is broken

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

They also apparently need it to support color emoji, them being the last major browser on Windows to lack support entirely.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Celexi posted:

you shouldn't be getting a headache unless something on your drivers is messed up or your os font configuration is broken

Well, it makes the text slightly blurry and I feel like I have to squint constantly trying to read it. Not sure what that indicates precisely. Only seems to be an issue in Chrome.

theratking
Jan 18, 2012
See the relevant thread on chromium-dev. There is even a petition!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
why did chrome change backspace from being back to alt + left arrow. is there any easy way to change back without a dodgy extension?

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
They changed it because it was a bad shortcut and no. Your choices are use another browser, an extension, or get used to it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It wouldn't be web browsers if the user didn't insist on an option to roll back to terrible outdated features.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its the 2 button combo i have issue with. can i just change it to left arrow alone?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Also the custom shortcuts extension is not dodgy in any way. The source code is on GitHub and visible on your browser once installed (if you are worried it does not match the GitHub source).

For a one-button shortcut, I use F1 for back and F2 for forward (this is how it is in Chromebooks and I got used to it so I now use it everywhere). But hey, with the extension, you can do whatever you want, even backspace.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Or you can get a mouse/keyboard that doesn't suck and has back and forward buttons built in.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

this is for when i'm in bed on a laptop using the touchpad. i have a mouse the rest of the time wtih back/forward buttons

i've looked at those extensions and chrome wont let me install them for some reason

Jose fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 15, 2016

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I maintain that no one who actually knows how to use a computer accidentally wiped an entered form on hitting backspace after doing it accidentally once or twice. The removal of the hotkey is all about holding the inexperienced user's hand so they don't walk themselves off a cliff. Which I don't have a problem with, except for the failure to give competent users a native fallback. Is it that hard to let the user customize?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I've done it twice that I can think of.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Does Chrome lag like crazy with anybody else's password manager? It seems like it can't make up its loving mind whether to accept the credentials, submit them automatically, demand I press enter so they'd submit, click an ad or something... it's ridiculous

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Cugel the Clever posted:

I maintain that no one who actually knows how to use a computer accidentally wiped an entered form on hitting backspace after doing it accidentally once or twice. The removal of the hotkey is all about holding the inexperienced user's hand so they don't walk themselves off a cliff. Which I don't have a problem with, except for the failure to give competent users a native fallback. Is it that hard to let the user customize?

I've done it many times because I have more than one window active at any point or some poo poo rear end element took forever to load and escaped the focus from the text box on completion or chrome just doesn't realize that a text box is present because it's some poo poo implementation. Single key shortcuts shouldn't exist in what is ostensibly a non-modal program that accepts text entry. I agree, though, just allow us to configure our own key mappings without an extension tysm. Add it to the loving thousands of about flags available. For all of the soapboxing that chromium devs do, they sure don't understand that no matter the skill level of the user, the computer is only useful when it does what the user expects of it.

But please don't pretend that because it's your way it's the better or more experienced way. It is entirely user hostile and the idea of bringing it about as a standard around the same time as webapps and web2.0 has always been dumb and bad. Anyway, use vimium. It's good. Hjkl supremacy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Also the custom shortcuts extension is not dodgy in any way. The source code is on GitHub and visible on your browser once installed (if you are worried it does not match the GitHub source).

For a one-button shortcut, I use F1 for back and F2 for forward (this is how it is in Chromebooks and I got used to it so I now use it everywhere). But hey, with the extension, you can do whatever you want, even backspace.

i installed this. the one i looked at was specifically for backspace and talked about injecting code into every page to make it work so i wasn't exactly keen

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

peramene posted:

Does Chrome lag like crazy with anybody else's password manager? It seems like it can't make up its loving mind whether to accept the credentials, submit them automatically, demand I press enter so they'd submit, click an ad or something... it's ridiculous

I use Lastpass, and it's fine.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

At some point Chrome stopped dealing with certain handlers and file types automatically. mailto links just do nothing and it now wants to download PDF files instead of just displaying them inline. The protocol handlers list in settings is just empty and Chrome PDF viewer is still enabled.

Any ideas?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Is there an obvious toggle or extension conflict I'm not seeing with the "New Tab Page?" Mine just opens blank with grey boxes where the sites used to appear.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

WorkingStiff posted:

Is there an obvious toggle or extension conflict I'm not seeing with the "New Tab Page?" Mine just opens blank with grey boxes where the sites used to appear.

If you were to clear your history those recent tab boxes would disappear.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Atomizer posted:

If you were to clear your history those recent tab boxes would disappear.

My history is intact. I have no idea. Reinstalled Chrome with no extensions and the problem persists.

WorkingStiff fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 21, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Is there an extension that lets you alt select stuff like in SQL server management studio or word?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Has SA started using lots of CPU recently (today) for any one else? I'm using shift + escape to look at it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
SA Needful is using a lot, what with the embedded gifvs and webms and whatnot.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Also, webm stuff is going to be encoded with VP8/VP9 which doesn't have hardware decoding support so that's going to tax the CPU right there.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Videos in embedded tweets don't play for me, is there a solution for this? Google was no help (ironically).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Chrome's stopped doing, well, anything for me today. I use it as a secondary browser for when I don't want to muck about with uMatrix and whatnot. I tried to load a page today, and it sat there for several minutes, then the tab crashed. I uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled it (didn't sign in or anything), and as soon as it started after the installation, it did the same thing trying to load http://tools.google.com/chrome/intl/en/welcome.html. What the hell is going on? I can't even load the settings (although I can navigate the menu).

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Restart your computer.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
That did it (ashamed I didn't think of it). What was going on?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Your poo poo was hosed up.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

hooah posted:

That did it (ashamed I didn't think of it). What was going on?

Do you have an Nvidia card? If so, driver update. It's a crapshoot if everything just works or you have to restart afterward.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any suggestions for extensions that do the same as Reader mode in Safari or Firefox?

Edit: I'd actually already asked this and got an answer, sorry!

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 31, 2016

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm running the most up to date version of Chrome Beta on the most up to date version of Yosemite and over the past couple of days I've noticed that flash videos are blocked behind the grey, ctrl-click this panel to run this plugin window. However, when I select 'run this plugin' nothing happens. Anyone else running into this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I've uninstalled the YouTube app but UBlock origin still doesn't seem to be working. :shrug: