Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

bull3964 posted:

Yellow light, not red light.

The law is you stop with a yellow light if if are capable of doing it safely.

Human drivers can evaluate the safety of that situation better than AI can currently because they can say "I know I can stop for this yellow light, but the guy behind me is following too close and too fast. Since he's fixated on getting through the intersection, it will take too long for him to register that I'm stopping for the yellow light and likely won't be able to brake fast enough. So, I will continue to go through this yellow light rather than attempt to stop because it's overall safer."

If you've never found yourself in this situation, you likely haven't been paying attention enough while driving.
I'm pretty sure I've never had to think about that. Drivers in your area loving suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Frinkahedron posted:

After self driving techonolgy is able to handle all situations, car ownership will plummet as people get around by summoning their robot ubers. The car is driving far more hours in a day that way and people still get the convenience of having a car on their schedule.

If this was true then car ownership would never really have taken off in the first place - there are these "robot ubers" since cars were first invented, they're called taxis. Or even hundreds of years earlier if you count horse drawn hackneys.

If you want a cab to be waiting in front of your house no later than say 7am, every weekday without fail, you can have that already. It's not even expensive compared to car payments, but still people drive themselves.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

bull3964 posted:

If you've never found yourself in this situation, you likely haven't been paying attention enough while driving.

I think it's probably a case of the complete opposite. I wouldn't be in that situation in the first place. But first allow me to explain why this is not a good idea.

If the light is amber and I safely stop but the car behind me is going too fast driving too close and rear ends me, they're at fault.

Seeing a light change to amber and contemplating stopping because you're not right at the intersection, then looking in the rear view then deciding they're too close/fast and might hit so then deciding to bring your vehicle into an intersection is dumb and you are now possibly making yourself at fault if the light has gone green for other cars, or pedestrians began crossing the road etc.

You're trying to mitigate a minor accident where you aren't at fault by taking risky action, and taking on responsibility and possibly hurting other people. Don't do this.

So, consider paying attention about who is tailgating you at all times by maintaining constant awareness of the drivers around you using all the mirrors constantly, and if they're driving too fast/close to stop at a traffic light, you should have already begun slowing down or moved safely into the right lane. This way you won't be in that situation.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 14, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would only consider pushing a yellow light if I was being tailgated hard, at speed, to the extent I thought a rear‐end collision would push me into the intersection.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

HorseLord posted:

If this was true then car ownership would never really have taken off in the first place - there are these "robot ubers" since cars were first invented, they're called taxis. Or even hundreds of years earlier if you count horse drawn hackneys.

If you want a cab to be waiting in front of your house no later than say 7am, every weekday without fail, you can have that already. It's not even expensive compared to car payments, but still people drive themselves.

Don't need to tip my robot uber, or pay for its retirement, or insurance, etc. Taxis as we know it will die with the rise of a self driving car fleet, they won't be able to compete on price.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Who cleans up the puke in the robot ubers?

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
A legion of people who are paid far less than taxi drivers, but are equally important.

When challenged, self driving mass transit advocacy always degenerates into "it's great! We can fire everyone and replace them with untrained workers for half the price!". I first noticed this pattern when a guy trying to sell me on a self driving bus admitted it'd need a security guard.

I'm not sure why a layperson is supposed to be enthused about mass layoffs. Hell, all the minicab companies I've ever interacted with around here, the drivers own their cars and the business itself is a small locally owned affair just does dispatch. For self-drive taxis to become dominant, you're talking about a level of investment none of these can afford. The idea of google visiting mass unemployment (and even minor economic depression) on my hometown is not an endearing one.

E: This is all a bit of a digression. We've slid from my original point, that personal cars aren't going anywhere just because computers will maybe eventually make taxis cheaper, even assuming the corporations who could make that happen wouldn't jack the price of their newfound monopoly.

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 14, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ranter posted:

Seeing a light change to amber and contemplating stopping because you're not right at the intersection, then looking in the rear view then deciding they're too close/fast and might hit so then deciding to bring your vehicle into an intersection is dumb and you are now possibly making yourself at fault if the light has gone green for other cars, or pedestrians began crossing the road etc.

You are NEVER going to be in this situation with an "amber" light. The gap between beginning of red and the start of green on the opposing sides is 3 seconds. Even at 25 mph, you are going to cover over 100 feet in 3 seconds. If the light isn't red when you enter the intersection, you WILL clear the intersection before the opposing lights turn.

Yes, that is preferable to creating a rear ending at the intersection because you can then be punted into the intersection and cause an accident with opposing traffic as well.

One section I drive on to work is all down hill on concrete (not asphalt) and is frequented by dump trucks. I've watched them lock wheels under normal braking in the wet. You better believe if I see one of those in my rearview mirror that I'm more likely to push a yellow than I am normally.

ilkhan posted:

I'm pretty sure I've never had to think about that. Drivers in your area loving suck.

I've driven in lot of places and the behavior is the same everywhere.

None of this is unsupportable. Again, go look at red light camera metrics. That's absolute proof of this situation arising. When drivers prioritize stopping at the beginning of the yellow cycle, accidents increase at intersections.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Godholio posted:

Horse Trend did something similar back in the day.

Horseless carriages have many advantages. Lack of manure, can be left on the street, no ill mood swings. But it fails in one important regard, it cannot carry you safely home after a slashing of absinthe.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
If the person behind you is really close to you and driving at such a speed that there is a genuine danger of being rear-ended if you break instead of pushing the yellow light, an autonomous system would be able to see that just as well as a human, surely? Unless it's more just you get the vibe that the guy behind is a loving idiot. Even then, an autonomous system should be able to detect the basic signs of erratic or dangerous driving (sharp accel/decelerations, erratic steering and road positioning etc.)

Anyway as others have pointed out it's probably not something they should try and compensate for anyway, unless for example the person is actually coming at you so fast that they will hit you at a dangerous speed unless you get out of the way.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

There are lots of times I want to drive my car, because it is a fun car to drive. But goddamn is it nice to see traffic backing up on the highway ahead of me, double-pull the lever, and sit back to hate things a little less.

Has anyone ever heard of someone who actually enjoys creeping through traffic jams? Or, for that matter, steering a car down a nearly-straight freeway for hours at a time?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2016/02/14/3-things-you-need-to-know-before-reserving-teslas.aspx

Might want to read this. I had no idea that the $7500 credit was limited to 200k units.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mercury Ballistic posted:

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2016/02/14/3-things-you-need-to-know-before-reserving-teslas.aspx

Might want to read this. I had no idea that the $7500 credit was limited to 200k units.

Mmhmmm

SURPRISE!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

MrYenko posted:

Mmhmmm

SURPRISE!
It's been written into the law the whole time. They should hit 200k just around the time the 3 gets released, so the first few buyers will get it. It phases out in 6 month chunks after that point, iirc.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sagebrush posted:

Who cleans up the puke in the robot ubers?

This is the big issue: presence of another human improves people's behaviour, even more than knowledge that a camera is recording them. Unattended cars are gonna get wrecked.

E: the big issue after, uh, level 4 autonomy, that is

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

This is the big issue: presence of another human improves people's behaviour, even more than knowledge that a camera is recording them. Unattended cars are gonna get wrecked.

E: the big issue after, uh, level 4 autonomy, that is

Put a security camera in the car, require people to use ID to ride.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Killstick posted:

Put a security camera in the car, require people to use ID to ride.

Security cameras mean that Uber gets to spend all its time trying to collect in civil suits, they don't do nearly as good a job as human presence in terms of preventing bad behaviour. Requiring ID for all passengers before they get in via a turnstile, I guess you mean?

I think it's going to be a real issue.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Subjunctive posted:

Security cameras mean that Uber gets to spend all its time trying to collect in civil suits, they don't do nearly as good a job as human presence in terms of preventing bad behaviour. Requiring ID for all passengers before they get in via a turnstile, I guess you mean?

I think it's going to be a real issue.

In countries with a higher percentage of lovely people it might be, like the USA. I see it being fine in Japan and Singapore though.

Since its tied to a credit card, eventually they will learn who is doing this poo poo and just ban them from the service (if its financially better for them to do this).

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Well the phase out starts at the end of the quarter after the quarter the 200,000th car is registered in the US. So you have some time but if the lag on a Tesla is 2 years you might have issues with your deposit so you better get the order placed now! I would guess the law will change if somehow the Democrats take back over or Tesla bribes enough businesscentric Republicans with promises of battery plants and Tesla space ports and stacks of cash. I just assume the Democrats are already on the take and won't need additional stacks of cash.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finally a Tesla I can afford.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGom8Y5wAow

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I honestly thought the Model 3 would be larger.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Have any Volt owners in here gone from a Gen 1 to a Gen 2? We have a 2012 and drove the 2016 on Sunday. They are not officially for sale in NC yet but the dealership around here bought some from an out of state dealership since I'm sure with gas at 1.70 they are just sitting there.

If you have gone from Gen 1 to Gen 2 have you noticed any long term differences/improvements? I only drove the Gen2 for about 15 minutes and nothing stood out to me. If I get closer to deciding to get one I will have to work out a day or two test period to see if it is worth the upgrade. If you have one did you adjust to the brake paddle on the steering wheel? Do you use the paddle often? Any other notable changes I should keep in mind?

Apparently there is a $2,500 credit if you have a Volt already if anyone cares. Volt Loyalty or something it is called. After the $7,500 federal credit and $2,500 Volt credit, you could get a Gen2 Volt or like 22k or so I imagine.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Well they didn't change much powertrain-wise between the Gen1 and Gen2. The range increased due to a change to the battery pack but I believe the powertrain itself hasn't changed.

The major changes are cosmetic in nature. If you want Apple CarPlay or Android Auto support, that'd be a major incentive for the Gen2.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ribsauce posted:

Apparently there is a $2,500 credit if you have a Volt already if anyone cares. Volt Loyalty or something it is called. After the $7,500 federal credit and $2,500 Volt credit, you could get a Gen2 Volt or like 22k or so I imagine.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Luckily(?) the 2016s aren't available in Florida, because GM is hilariously incompetent. I'm waiting for the Tesla Model 3 teaser before committing to anything anyway. (No, Im not going to go wait in line at put a deposit down.)

Yes I am. :eng99:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Does the new volt have a three kid back seat or still the hump? What a stupid design idea. There is no driveshaft!!!! I sometimes have 3 kids and a wife unit to transport short distances. I need 3 seat belts for tiny humans.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Elephanthead posted:

Does the new volt have a three kid back seat or still the hump? What a stupid design idea. There is no driveshaft!!!! I sometimes have 3 kids and a wife unit to transport short distances. I need 3 seat belts for tiny humans.

Next time don't have 3 kids?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

I think it does:

http://insideevs.com/exclusive-images-2016-chevrolet-volt-rear-seat/

It has a hump because they shoved some lithium batteries up there:

Just like you shoved your infectious seed up your poor wife's censored.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

The powertrain was updated on the new volt as well. New motor and the electrics are a bit different. If they released it nation wide, I would have considered it instead of buying out my Leaf lease and hanging onto my ICE that has only been driven a few hundred miles in the past year.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Elephanthead posted:

It's not the driveshaft it's the battery pack. So kind of important to the car, and not such a daft idea after all.

MrYenko posted:

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Luckily(?) the 2016s aren't available in Florida, because GM is hilariously incompetent. I'm waiting for the Tesla Model 3 teaser before committing to anything anyway. (No, Im not going to go wait in line at put a deposit down.)

Yes I am. :eng99:

If you're considering a Model 3 you should really give the Bolt a look too.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

drgitlin posted:

But then you'd be buying from GM and gently caress that.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

drgitlin posted:

In europe it is a Opel and i clearly can't drive a Opel.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Ola posted:

I think it does:

http://insideevs.com/exclusive-images-2016-chevrolet-volt-rear-seat/

It has a hump because they shoved some lithium batteries up there:

Just like you shoved your infectious seed up your poor wife's censored.

The old Volt's backseat wouldn't allow anyone to sit in the middle seat. The Gen2 Volt's seat has only a minor hump so you can sit there but it'll feel awkward.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
My commute is 28 miles each way. How dumb would it be to buy a Chevy Volt? There's no charging stations at my new offices.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ranter posted:

My commute is 28 miles each way. How dumb would it be to buy a Chevy Volt? There's no charging stations at my new offices.

Not that dumb? It’ll get you there and most of the way back on battery, and economy isn’t terrible as it wraps up your return leg with the ICE.

I mean, gas is $2/gallon. You’re buying an EV because you want one.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

ilkhan posted:

But then you'd be buying from GM and gently caress that.
The Volt is my favorite car I've driven, and I had a WRX for 6 years.

I've never driven a Tesla though.

Elephanthead posted:

The cupholders in the middle of the hump would probably make it a lovely ride. There are 3 seatbelts. If it was a rare event it would be passable, but anything more than that would probably suck bad. Think of it like riding in the back of an old Ranger with the fold down seats...you won't die but it sure sucks! (I totally meant to sit in the middle of the backseat when I saw the 2016 but I forgot to for some reason when I got there).

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 18, 2016

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Ribsauce posted:

The Volt is my favorite car I've driven, and I had a WRX for 6 years.

Was the Volt just as zippy as the turbocharged WRX? What about when you were using the generator in the Volt?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

drgitlin posted:

I've driven nothing but GM products since I was a teenager. I've bought two brand-new GM cars, and I'll probably own a GM product of one form or another nearly-continuously until the day I die. I own a Volt now. I'm not discounting GM because I don't like them, I'm discounting the Bolt because it has singularly failed to interest me. I'm looking for a more upmarket car (like an ELR except not lolwhyisthistwodoorVolt$80k,) and the Model 3 really seems like it's going to be where I want to be. (Yes, I realize that options are almost certainly going to push the Model 3 well above the $30k mark. If the Model 3 releases as a stripper-only type of car, then I'm going to have to rethink all of this, of course. I feel like the $30k Model 3 is going to be a loss-leader type of model, where most sales actually happen with more options, at a significantly higher price point.)

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
The WRX was faster but I find the Volt more enjoyable to drive overall. It is fast enough for me (I don't drive fast) and I just enjoy it. The acceleration feels much smoother than the WRX. I just like the car. For the record, the Volt is owned by my girlfriend. I drive an X3 (but not for long) as well as my Ranger sometimes. I have not noticed a difference when under battery vs the generator but someone who more of an in tune driver might. Also, I want to state before I drove the Volt I assumed it would be slow, clunky, and just flat out suck. I was shocked at how awesome it was. It blew me away. I was not prepared for how much I liked it.

No disrespect to the WRX by the way. Owning it was my dream. I still remember it like I was yesterday. I was 17* the first time I saw the WRX commercial with Colin McRae driving it in a rally race. I said right then I would own that car one day and 7 years later I did. I thought about the day I would buy one probably weekly those 7 years.

*I was 17 sitting on the floor of my buddy Jake's stepdad's beach house. I remember who was in the room, that it was raining, and I'm 90% sure we were watching Kids in the Hall. I didn't say a word the entire commercial and as soon as it finished I said "I will own that car one day." I had never been more sure of anything in my life. I guess it is nice to have a dream car that costs under 30k, but it could have cost 100k and I would have been just as confident.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
That is hilarious GM made a penis shaped battery pack that shoots its seed right into the motor. Is the bolt the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

That looks like the perfect battery pack for sticking in the engine bay and transmission tunnel of an RWD two-seater :swoon:. Then put two electric motors on the rear subframe where the diff and fuel tank used to be, one for each wheel.

• Locked thread