Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I tried something new the other day while fishing. I wasn't having much luck with my lures so I started scavenging for bait. I haven't really fished with bait much except right when I started fishing and bought a few dozen nightcrawlers. I had lots of fun scrounging up crayfish, leeches and even a frog, hooking them on a jig, and getting non stop strikes. The only problem was, as I figured, it can be TOO effective. I caught maybe a dozen fish, but nothing over 8 inches.

I want to try a bait fish trap next time as well and try to throw some of those in. I was wondering though, how should I rig? Aside from just hook + weight or drop shot, can I maybe enhance a spinner with one? I was thinking replace the treble with a siwash and put on a bait fish hooked through the nose. Is that a thing that catches fish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Put them under a quill float with a split shot sinker pressed onto the line just below the float. If there's any current you can flick your rig just upstream of where you think the fish are holding and it will drift past with your bait presented really naturally. Worms are a great all-round bait for most freshwater situations because they are a common part of freshwater fish diets, but use crayfish/yabbies if you want to target bigger fish.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Anyone know what a lazy dark brown animal is? I felt two nibbles and then I hooked it. It put up such a weak fight I wasn't sure if it had broke off and I got a huge clump of weeds but it was heavy.

I only saw it for a flash before it shook the hook out. It never went above water either.

Is it possible I hooked a river otter or muskrat? Or what kind of fish it could be? I know there's carp but I've only hooked LMB before. When I saw it muskrat was the first thing that came into my head.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Very possibly I've heard of muskrats being snagged before.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I would that they are strong swimmers and would pull like a motherfucker though?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Big turtles fight surprisingly weak

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Big turtles fight surprisingly weak

Until you land them and then get their feet on the ground.

Landing a ~20" dia shell snapper without breaking my 12lb line is one of my proudest fishing moments. The crazy thing was, he wasn't hooked. Once I landed him I started tapping his head with a stick to get him Open his mouth so I could see about unhooking him. As soon as he opened his mouth the lure popped out and he bit the stick.

I probably got him through 30 feet of pads and it took me maybe two minutes, he held onto that dumb rubber frog the entire time.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
This is the pure dumb hate that is snapping turtles...

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Snapper got some dude's crappie that were on a stringer. They were at an impasse until the snapper managed to bite the fish in half and escape. The dude took it in stride, but threw the other half of the fish way up in some bushes so "that fuckin turtle can't get it, let a racoon get a taste."

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Y'all need a turtle recipe.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I had a catfish bait out off the dock. Saw the bobber go down and walked down. It had wrapped once around the dock ladder so I was handlining this light weight it in. Out of the murk comes this huge turtle with a head the size of a softball, inches from my fingers. I noped right out and cut the line, good on you guys for getting them unhooked. He survived, saw him chilling around the dock again this year. All catfish baits get tossed extra far out now.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Y'all need a turtle recipe.

I like them too much to eat them.

I also killed a bunch of them as a kid and feel bad about it, grandpa raised swans in his pond and nobody's gonna buy a swan with one foot bit off. So I feel obligated to remove the hook on any I catch.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Y'all are leaving protein on the table.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Not fishing but when I was about 8, during a torrential downpour, there was a large object down in the street. At this time, we were the last house on the street. My dad goes down to investigate, and in the process of getting soaked (water was up to his ankles at the bottom of our hill) he picks this thing up and it starts necking around trying to nab his fingers. The shell was probably 2' wide (or at least it seemed at age 8) when he carried it up the hill to show us really quick.

Relevant fishing: One thing I do love about my kayak is the occasional chance I get of sneaking up on nature. A few months ago I coasted into a little cove with docks to investigate and ended up sneaking up on a snapping turtle about a basketball in width. He popped up and saw me and hauled as much rear end as he could to escape. Interestingly enough he stirred up a pretty sizable bass and a small catfish.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Bongwizzard - that's a funny looking stringer :D

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I got 7 bass in 2.5 hours. not only is that my personal record for number of fish caught, but I caught my largest to date. GOD drat do they swallow up pumpkin colored senkos on a wacky rig.

Bong here is what I settled on (a lot of it was from your advice over the past year)

medium heavy 6.5' spinning pole, weightless 5" pumpkin senko with green and black flake. Wacky rigged on 2/0 Trokar wacky hook, barb crimped down.

To anyone that doesn't mind cutting and retying, the Trokar hooks set with incredible ease but the point is very vulnerable.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

hagie posted:

Relevant fishing: One thing I do love about my kayak is the occasional chance I get of sneaking up on nature. A few months ago I coasted into a little cove with docks to investigate and ended up sneaking up on a snapping turtle about a basketball in width. He popped up and saw me and hauled as much rear end as he could to escape. Interestingly enough he stirred up a pretty sizable bass and a small catfish.

Just wait until nature sneaks up on you in the form of a beaver slapping is tail on a nice calm lake. Sounds like a gunshot and will scare the crap out of you.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I got a little 16' fishing boat last week and had a chance to take it out. Caught 2 walleye and now I cannot wait to get back out on the water. Next time I'll get some pics. It's so nice to be able to troll around instead of fishing off shore, at least where I'm at.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I have a problem, I think. I love Japanese fixed-line rods too much.

From top to bottom:
  • Pole&Line Rudow 8500 honryu salmon rod - 8.5 meters, just shy of 28 feet
  • Nissin Kyogi honryu carp rod - 5-odd meters, 17 feet
  • Tenkara Rod Co. Owyhee - 13 feet
  • Tenkara Rod Co. Sierra - 10 feet, 6 inches
  • Tenkara Rod Co. Mini Sawtooth - 8 feet, 8 inches
  • Daiwa Hinata tanago rod - 5 feet

So far, I've caught fish on all of these. I especially love the Kyogi for ponds and larger rivers - it's got good reach, and with a number 4 level line, it'll cast heavier poppers and topwater flies really nicely. The tip sections are soft enough to make a 14-inch largemouth feel like a serious fight, too.

The Rudow is ridiculous. I've only taken out on water once, just to get a feel for it. It's like holding a drat telephone pole. It's not a casting rod - it'll drop tied flies or baited hooks way out in larger waters. I'm psyched to get it out during the steelhead run.

The Tenkara Rod Co. rods are nice - the larger two feel like traditional tenkara rods ought to, and with a little practice, I've managed to drop a dry fly into a paper plate sized area about 90% of the time. The Owyhee is big enough to use on ponds or larger water - dropping a larger foam bug or popper near cover often gets a smallmouth or pumpkinseed to hit, and I love those little bastards.

The Daiwa is just neat - tiny snelled tanago hooks baited with artificial maggots catch tiny sunfish, minnows, shiners, little sculpins, all kinds of things you'd otherwise never see.

Anyway, that's my story. Thanks for reading.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 28, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I need to buy one and try it out.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

a foolish pianist posted:

I have a problem, I think. I love Japanese fixed-line rods too much.

From top to bottom:
  • Pole&Line Rudow 8500 honryu salmon rod - 8.5 meters, just shy of 28 feet
  • Nissin Kyogi honryu carp rod - 5-odd meters, 17 feet
  • Tenkara Rod Co. Owyhee - 13 feet
  • Tenkara Rod Co. Sierra - 10 feet, 6 inches
  • Tenkara Rod Co. Mini Sawtooth - 8 feet, 8 inches
  • Daiwa Hinata tanago rod - 5 feet

So far, I've caught fish on all of these. I especially love the Kyogi for ponds and larger rivers - it's got good reach, and with a number 4 level line, it'll cast heavier poppers and topwater flies really nicely. The tip sections are soft enough to make a 14-inch largemouth feel like a serious fight, too.

The Rudow is ridiculous. I've only taken out on water once, just to get a feel for it. It's like holding a drat telephone pole. It's not a casting rod - it'll drop tied flies or baited hooks way out in larger waters. I'm psyched to get it out during the steelhead run.

The Tenkara Rod Co. rods are nice - the larger two feel like traditional tenkara rods ought to, and with a little practice, I've managed to drop a dry fly into a paper plate sized area about 90% of the time. The Owyhee is big enough to use on ponds or larger water - dropping a larger foam bug or popper near cover often gets a smallmouth or pumpkinseed to hit, and I love those little bastards.

The Daiwa is just neat - tiny snelled tanago hooks baited with artificial maggots catch tiny sunfish, minnows, shiners, little sculpins, all kinds of things you'd otherwise never see.

Anyway, that's my story. Thanks for reading.

I have wanted to pick one up for ever, mainly for hiking as I feel naked without some means to fish, but even a telescoping spinning rod is overkill sometimes. Would love more info about your little Daiwa rod.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

bongwizzard posted:

I have wanted to pick one up for ever, mainly for hiking as I feel naked without some means to fish, but even a telescoping spinning rod is overkill sometimes. Would love more info about your little Daiwa rod.

That little Daiwa is pretty much just for microfishing - I wouldn't trust it for anything bigger than really small native brook trout, so it's probably not the best general hiking rod. It is fun to carry and catch small fish with, though. I've got a little clear plastic card file thing that I fill with water and drop fish in for photographing*. In terms of lures and baits, I've used tiny flies, midges and a few others tied on #16 to #22 hooks, or these awesome little shimano artificial maggots.

The dude from tenkarabum carries a similar but stronger rod, the Nissin Sasuke, that is rated for 6x tippet, so it'd be good for trout in headwaters up to 8 inches or so, while still being small enough to use snelled tanago hooks for dace or sculpin or whatever. I'm probably going to be a giant idiot and buy the Sasuke or the Suntech Kurenai from him soon, myself. Go over to this page:

http://www.tenkarabum.com/tenkara-rods.html

Scroll down to the seiryu and microfishing sections, and just read a bunch.

The Mini Sawtooth is actually a great hiking rod - it's only about a foot long when collapsed, extends to 8 and a half feet, casts reasonably well, and is big enough for most any headwaters trout, average-sized panfish, that sort of thing, and it's only about an ounce and a half total with line and fly. Plus the company is local to the US, so if you break a section, you can just email them and they'll ship new pieces right on over. I've had to do it twice, once when I got hooked up on a log and slipped while wading over to unhook myself, and then once when my cat broke the tip section when I was pestering her with the rod.

Anyway, you should email Chris, the guy who runs tenkarabum - he knows a ton about really small Japanese rods, and he loves talking about them. I pester him with questions all the time. He'll have recommendations for a kit based on where you generally hike and what sort of waters you're thinking of fishing.

juvenile bluegill that hit one of those artificial maggots I mentioned

EDIT: I'll take a couple more photos of the smaller rods tomorrow.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 28, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Micro fishing is what I want one for. I carry a real rod when I am "hiking in to fish" and have a telescoping rod for "hiking where I know I will want to fish a little". What I want the fixed line is for "hiking but dude I swear I saw a minnow in that little trickle, let's hold up and burn one down while I try to catch it" scenarios.

I have actually chatted a bit with the tenkarabum guy, he also runs finessefishing.com, which sells JDM ultralight spinning and baitcasting gear.

I might try to do a little effort post about Bait Finesse System (or BFS) fishing. It is getting more and more popular and the special reels are crazy cheap on ebay right now, like used $400+ msrp reels are like in the low end of $100-200 and ones in almost NIB condition are not much more. There is a rod seller on aliexpress who sells inexpensive UL casting rods for like $50 that are getting really good reviews.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
What about a hobo rig that you keep in your pack? Weighs almost nothing and you can easily use a hiking pole or a branch if you want.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I have a daiwa minispin which I like a bunch. I caught some sunfish with it and its been perfect.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

bongwizzard posted:

Micro fishing is what I want one for. I carry a real rod when I am "hiking in to fish" and have a telescoping rod for "hiking where I know I will want to fish a little". What I want the fixed line is for "hiking but dude I swear I saw a minnow in that little trickle, let's hold up and burn one down while I try to catch it" scenarios.

I have actually chatted a bit with the tenkarabum guy, he also runs finessefishing.com, which sells JDM ultralight spinning and baitcasting gear.

I might try to do a little effort post about Bait Finesse System (or BFS) fishing. It is getting more and more popular and the special reels are crazy cheap on ebay right now, like used $400+ msrp reels are like in the low end of $100-200 and ones in almost NIB condition are not much more. There is a rod seller on aliexpress who sells inexpensive UL casting rods for like $50 that are getting really good reviews.

Gosh, I sort of presume that nobody has ever heard of microfishing. Sorry about that. It's cool to see people into specialized subdisciplines. It's always great to hear from someone with real expertise.

In any case, the Daiwa Hinata is an awesome little rod. It's strong enough for small sunfish, but the tiny diameter and flex mean that the tip will register a strike from even really tiny fish. Dropping it into creeks up here for sculpin is super fun. I'm not sure chris (tenkarabum guy) still has any Hinata rods, but that Sasuke looks choice, and a little sturdier to boot.

I'd be really interested in your finesse system post. I should put together a longer tenkara/keiryu/honryu post and set of resources, too.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

What do I aim for now that I can land bass with ease? I'm in Massachusetts.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

What do I aim for now that I can land bass with ease? I'm in Massachusetts.

For a tenkara rod? Tenkara Rod Co. Owyhee (which I've caught a fair number of largemouth and smallmouth on myself, in addition to a few brown trout on the Au Sable up here in Michigan), or any keiryu rod that's rated for 5x tippet. 6x is probably fine, too, if you don't mind fighting a fish for a little while, and occasionally losing one to snapped tippet.

Fighting a fish on a tenkara/keiryu is pretty different. Once you've got a strike and set the hook, the process is basically to let the fish pull hard while bending the rod, tiring itself out. You don't want to try to stop a run - rather, you want to try to redirect it. If the fish is running hard left, letting the rod tip follow it while angling the rod back to the right and toward your body (basically, you want the rod to under load to look like a fish hook) will usually result in the fish changing direction, running a small 180 or 250 degree turn, back toward the right and out again. Keeping the rod tension up and repeating the process is the way to tire a fish without hurting it, and it's what I've always done to land larger bass. This keeps the load on the rod rather than the line and protects light tippet from jarring forces that might snap it. For smaller fish, just pulling back, sort of skimming them along the surface, works great.

The hookset can be a bit tricky - the force you need to use is proportional to the size of the fish, and it's not always easy to gauge how big a fish is from a hit. I got a vigorous topwater strike last week from an area where I usually catch 10"-15" smallmouth, so I gave the rod (my 17" carp keiryu rod) a solid jerk, intending to set the hook. Instead, a tiny little 5 inch smallmouth came flying out of the water and drat near hit me in the chest. Once I landed him safely, I made sure to hold him in the water for a short while to make sure he wasn't too shocked to swim properly.

Anyway, I've had great luck with bass and larger pumpkinseeds and bluegill on the Owyhee, and on larger keiryu rods. I'm right now trying to make a decision about a more flexible rod that still has the length (17'-20'). If you're fishing mostly flowing water, rivers and creeks, a 13' rod will serve you well. If you want to fish ponds and lakes, the longer reach of a 5-7 meter rod (16-20odd feet) will allow you much more flexibility.

EDIT: oh god i wrote all this text and i'm realizing i'm answering a wholly different question than what you asked oops

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 28, 2017

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Y'all talking about microfishing reminded me of this guy I follow on iNaturalist: http://www.inaturalist.org/observations/pmk00001

His photos in general are pretty cool but in particular it was neat to see the tiny but really pretty fish he came up with from the latte-colored creeks and rivers round where I grew up. I always assumed there was nothing much in most of them but turtles.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Out of the murk comes this huge turtle with a head the size of a softball, inches from my fingers. I noped right out and cut the line, good on you guys for getting them unhooked. He survived, saw him chilling around the dock again this year. All catfish baits get tossed extra far out now.

That's a hell of a way to find an alligator snapping turtle :black101:

the yeti fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 29, 2017

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

This came up at the AFTA 17 trade show I believe

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

gay picnic defence posted:

This came up at the AFTA 17 trade show I believe

:chloe:

will bird net be strong enough for a (paddle) crab net?

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Picked up babby's first kayak today, an Ascend 12T from the local Bass Pro:

I didn't want to spend a ton on my first one and this seemed like a good starting point to see what I do and don't like. Had some gift cards so I ended up paying about 350 out the door. Gonna take it out in the morning if the weather cooperates.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

hamsystem posted:

Picked up babby's first kayak today, an Ascend 12T from the local Bass Pro:

I didn't want to spend a ton on my first one and this seemed like a good starting point to see what I do and don't like. Had some gift cards so I ended up paying about 350 out the door. Gonna take it out in the morning if the weather cooperates.

How much does it weigh? I have an Ascend 1250T (it's an older model) and it is heavy as hell.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
77lbs. I loaded and unloaded it without much hassle and the cart seemed to work well rolling it around the yard. The real test will be after a day of fishing, but I think it should be no problem.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Are there an issues with using a scupper cart with non-Hobie kayaks?

I know Vibe explicitly suggest against as it is the weakest point, and the FB user group used to foam at the mouth when asked. It also was the second most asked question in the group...

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Honestly I don't know. It's a pretty thick plastic, but I'll look into it and make sure. The reviews on the cart specifically mentioned the 12t which is why I got it.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Just looking out for you.

After I got my Sea Ghost and was looking at carts it was a big thing I noticed on some brands.

I got some Chinese strap to cart that reeked of BPH that lasted all of 5 outings

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

hagie posted:

Are there an issues with using a scupper cart with non-Hobie kayaks?

I know Vibe explicitly suggest against as it is the weakest point, and the FB user group used to foam at the mouth when asked. It also was the second most asked question in the group...
I know a plastic welder here who specialises in kayaks and he comes across split scuppers quite a lot. I think the cheaper kayaks skimp plastic a bit and as a result have weaker scuppers. My Ocean Kayak Prowler has pretty solid scuppers though and I never had an issue using a scupper cart.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Lately I have been putting in at places that I do not have that far of a walk. I am no muscle head, but 75lbs 50 feet isn't that bad.

That cart I have, holy poo poo how bad it was though. You can't even get a standard air nozzle into the stem because of how far out the plastic comes...rage inducing. I didn't want to waste the money to buy stem extenders, because they probably would have cost me more than the cart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

hagie posted:

Just looking out for you.

After I got my Sea Ghost and was looking at carts it was a big thing I noticed on some brands.

I got some Chinese strap to cart that reeked of BPH that lasted all of 5 outings

:respek:

This is the one I got:

Malone Xpress Scupper-Style Kayak Cart For Sit-On-Top Kayaks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NAU3ZU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_BGWchNJ8Qo3aa
The rubber around the poles may or may not help, guess I'll see.