Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Alehkhs posted:

Officially now: First trailer for Terry Gilliam's Zero Theorem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rae7_O_6EtU

Looks really fuckin' good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Alehkhs posted:

Goddamn 360p.

That said it looks like classic Gilliam and I can't loving wait.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Alehkhs posted:

I'm very unsure what I just watched, but I am ok with this.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
I will watch anything with Gilliam's name attached. That looks just batshit enough to be perfect.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I loves me some Gilliam films. This one is no different.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I saw this a couple of months ago. I liked it, "but" tonally it's very close to Brazil but on a much smaller scale. That's not a bad thing but it definitely feels like a retread of existing ground. The cast is perfect, Matt Damon in particular is amazing for the few seconds he's in it, and the love interest is great. The look of the film is about 60% The Fifth Element, 30% Children of Men and 10% Mario Bros Movies and that's a good thing.

It really belies whatever presumably low budget it had, but it's nothing groundbreaking from him

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
A friend just linked me the trailer for a movie called Snowpiercer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6UmqNuMdY4

And then I read an article that claims Harvey Weinstein is holding back the US release because the director of the movie, Joon-ho Bong, does not agree to cut 25 minutes of the film to make it more "accessible" as Weinstein calls it. So now it can be watched in other countries, but not the USA.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Jack's Flow posted:

And then I read an article that claims Harvey Weinstein is holding back the US release because the director of the movie, Joon-ho Bong, does not agree to cut 25 minutes of the film to make it more "accessible" as Weinstein calls it. So now it can be watched in other countries, but not the USA.

I've been reading about this for months but hadn't watched a trailer until now, and I'm not understanding the fuss. OCCUPY TRAIN STREET with television tier effects hardly seems worth any creative battle.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

soapgish posted:

I've been reading about this for months but hadn't watched a trailer until now, and I'm not understanding the fuss. OCCUPY TRAIN STREET with television tier effects hardly seems worth any creative battle.

Reviews are incredibly positive and its Bong Joon-ho for god's sakes, the guy who made The Host (2006), Memories of Murder, and Mother. It is worth the creative battle, I assure you.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It's basically the Battle of Brazil all over again.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Jack's Flow posted:

It should also be mentioned that Bong Joon-Ho -- who did The Host, Memories of Murder, and Mother -- is one of the greatest living directors.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

penismightier posted:

It should also be mentioned that Bong Joon-Ho -- who did The Host, Memories of Murder, and Mother -- is one of the greatest living directors.

And Harvey Weinstein is not really known for his sensible cuts.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Harvey Weinstein is a fat piece of poo poo who needs to stick his filthy dick into every picture that crosses his desk in order to validate his own existence. What I'm trying to say is I don't like Harvey Weinstein.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Dillbag posted:

Harvey Weinstein is a fat piece of poo poo who needs to stick his filthy dick into every picture that crosses his desk in order to validate his own existence. What I'm trying to say is I don't like Harvey Weinstein.

Pretty much. My friend saw it in Korea when it came out and liked it. I want to see THAT movie not some hack-job.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
The latest thing I read about Snowpiercer is that TWC is adding voiceovers to explain all the important stuff they cut out :psyduck:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

As someone who lives in Oklahoma, I'd like to thank the Weinstein Company for allowing simpleminded folk like me to enjoy fancy schmancy foreign movies.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

leokitty posted:

The latest thing I read about Snowpiercer is that TWC is adding voiceovers to explain all the important stuff they cut out :psyduck:

I'm seriously at the point where I think I'm just going to import it from South Korea without seeing it first, it's weird though that the DVD isn't up for pre-order by this point though, wonder if TWC is holding that up as well. Miramax was a huge pain in the rear end around the time "Hero" came out, I remember I tried to sell off a Hong Kong version of the DVD on Ebay and got a cease and desist from them.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
If you've ever wanted to live in an alternate reality where the director of Animal Kingdom got the prize of directing the Mad Max reboot, here you go:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/the-rover-trailer-guy-pearce-robert-pattinson-david-michod

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
And just to counterbalance that, here's a trailer for The Fault In Our Stars, which is trying to be the Love Story of this/the next generation. (And it very well may be, it's an adorable book. Trailer's a little blah for my tastes, but it certainly looks more interesting than the Endless Love remake coming out.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ItBvH5J6ss

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

If you've ever wanted to live in an alternate reality where the director of Animal Kingdom got the prize of directing the Mad Max reboot, here you go:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/the-rover-trailer-guy-pearce-robert-pattinson-david-michod

Well hello new most anticipated movie of 2014, holy poo poo :stare:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Well hello new most anticipated movie of 2014, holy poo poo :stare:

I'll always watch Pearce going on rampages.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Jewmanji posted:

It looks somewhat like Breaking Bad meets The Road. I love eerie, dystopian, future-like settings in the desert/wastelands. Thrillers/Crime Drama's are my favorite kind of movies to begin with so I'll definitely be checking this out. :D

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

DivisionPost posted:

And just to counterbalance that, here's a trailer for The Fault In Our Stars, which is trying to be the Love Story of this/the next generation. (And it very well may be, it's an adorable book. Trailer's a little blah for my tastes, but it certainly looks more interesting than the Endless Love remake coming out.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ItBvH5J6ss

Not going to lie when I saw the trailer for Endless Love, I thought it was parody. It was the most shameless Nicholas Spark wannabe I have seen. Seemed like a bunch of executives threw a bunch of darts at a board pinned with cliches and tropes. Even the title "Endless Love" adds this, even the bland white characters who have no discernible qualities. Couldn't believe it was an actual trailer until my sister kept reaffirming it for me, its a new low.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Never even heard of Animal Kingdom. Worth a watch I presume?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bows1 posted:

Absolutely. A really great Aussie crime thriller with a great cast and some excellent cinematography by the guy who shot True Detective and The Snowtown Murders.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Absolutely. A really great Aussie crime thriller with a great cast and some excellent cinematography by the guy who shot True Detective and The Snowtown Murders.

Sold.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The red-band trailer for Seth MacFarlane's "A Million Ways to Die in the West" just got released. The title is very literal.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
Sarah Silverman made me laugh.

That was it.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
And now a new trailer for Under the Skin.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/watch-new-red-band-teaser-trailer-for-jonathan-glazers-under-the-skin-looks-you-in-the-eye-20140130

Will this be the best movie ever? I won't say yes, but I won't say no.

bows1 posted:

Yeah, it's definitely the best Australian film to have exposure outside of the country in probably my whole life (I say that as an American who was born and spend my childhood in and around Melbourne, where this was filmed). The main character in the movie plays the role in a very unusual way that will make or break the movie, but as long as that doesn't bother you, you're guaranteed to not hate it. It has Jackie Weaver, Joel Edgerton, Guy Pearce, and Ben Mendelssohn in a career defining role.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 30, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jewmanji posted:

And now a new trailer for Under the Skin.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/watch-new-red-band-teaser-trailer-for-jonathan-glazers-under-the-skin-looks-you-in-the-eye-20140130

Will this be the best movie ever? I won't say yes, but I won't say no.

I get the distinct impression that this will be the based-on-the-story-by movie least based on the actual story since The Lawnmower Man.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

Yeah, it's definitely the best Australian film to have exposure outside of the country in probably my whole life

Oof, I like Animal Kingdom a lot but that's a taaaaalllll loving order.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

HorseRenoir posted:

The red-band trailer for Seth MacFarlane's "A Million Ways to Die in the West" just got released. The title is very literal.

It's not great but good enough that I think Macfarlane should just kill Family Guy and do movies from now on. I think the change of pace would be good for him

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Oof, I like Animal Kingdom a lot but that's a taaaaalllll loving order.

Really? I'll defer to you- what else should I check out? I'm not referring to all Australian film mind you, just films that were relatively popular in the US as well (and not just Australian film-makers like Andrew Dominik who make American films).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

Really? I'll defer to you- what else should I check out? I'm not referring to all Australian film mind you, just films that were relatively popular in the US as well (and not just Australian film-makers like Andrew Dominik who make American films).

The Mad Max movies are the first that come to mind, of course. Then there's Picnic at Hanging Rock, Gallipoli, The Proposition, Romper Stomper, and Wolf Creek. For something a little lighter than all those, The Castle is a very fun comedy. If we're willing to stretch the "relatively popular in the US" thing there's Snowtown, Wake in Fright, Rogue and Ghosts... Of The Civil Dead. I've heard very good things about Breaker Morant and The Last Wave.

Australian film is where it's fuckin' at. Animal Kingdom is definitely better than at least some of the stuff I listed, but all of it? Like I said, tall order. In particular, The Proposition, Wake in Fright and Picnic at Hanging Rock are straight-up masterpieces.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Mad Max movies are the first that come to mind, of course. Then there's Picnic at Hanging Rock, Gallipoli, The Proposition, Romper Stomper, and Wolf Creek. For something a little lighter than all those, The Castle is a very fun comedy. If we're willing to stretch the "relatively popular in the US" thing there's Snowtown, Wake in Fright, Rogue and Ghosts... Of The Civil Dead. I've heard very good things about Breaker Morant and The Last Wave.

Australian film is where it's fuckin' at. Animal Kingdom is definitely better than at least some of the stuff I listed, but all of it? Like I said, tall order. In particular, The Proposition, Wake in Fright and Picnic at Hanging Rock are straight-up masterpieces.

I guess I should've been clear that I'm only 26, so my comment about it being "in my lifetime" eliminates all of Mad Max, and Gallipoli (I was 5 when Romper Stomper came out). But you're right about The Proposition, that could rightly be called every bit as good or better than Animal Kingdom. I actually never saw Wolf Creek and have never heard of Picnic at Hanging Rock- I'll have to check it out!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

I guess I should've been clear that I'm only 26, so my comment about it being "in my lifetime" eliminates all of Mad Max, and Gallipoli (I was 5 when Romper Stomper came out). But you're right about The Proposition, that could rightly be called every bit as good or better than Animal Kingdom. I actually never saw Wolf Creek and have never heard of Picnic at Hanging Rock- I'll have to check it out!

Yeah I realized I was stretching the "in my lifetime" bit but I just got carried away.

Wolf Creek is very good with the caveat that it is extremely grim and disturbing. Picnic at Hanging Rock is just drat awesome with no caveats, it's just all-around essential viewing.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Jewmanji posted:

Check out The Square, really good 2008 thriller. Written by Joel Edgerton and directed by his brother.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Check out The Square, really good 2008 thriller. Written by Joel Edgerton and directed by his brother.

I'm interested this, apparently Edgerton co-wrote The Rover as well.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Steve Yun posted:

It's not great but good enough that I think Macfarlane should just kill Family Guy and do movies from now on. I think the change of pace would be good for him
But what about American Dad :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Jedit posted:

I get the distinct impression that this will be the based-on-the-story-by movie least based on the actual story since The Lawnmower Man.

Yeah, it's hard to see how they could film the more...unusual...parts of Under the Skin without it looking utterly ridiculous and descending into farcical nonsense. The book is pretty riveting, but mainly because of the quality of the writing, not because of it's bizarre plot.

• Locked thread