Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
mks5000, you should give me your pick for 1919 Happy Felsch, 2009 Troy Glaus, and 2011 Joaquin Benoit.

e: Or not. No big deal.

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

^Did not see your trade, but I would not be interested in it anyway.

I want 1991 Mike Mussina.

e: kw0134 is on the clock!

e2: Here is the spreadsheet

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 10, 2012

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

It has come to the attention of the Bloggers that we have been committing the sin of Blocking The Box. Therefore--now that our honor and bloodlust have been sated--we have agreed to remit The Box to its original owner, tatankatonk, in exchange for some considerations, namely the #68 pick in the SLVII Dispersal Draft and the San Juan Elephants' first-round pick in the SLVIII SuperDraft.

We wish the best of luck to the Elephants and the Box.

(Pictured: Web 2.0 Bloggers player/manager 1964 Lou Piniella contemplates the Mystery Box.)

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN
tatankatonk,

Open the Box! My heart can't take it anymore!

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
My guess: David Eckstein

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
Is it 1908 Andy 'Peaches' Nelson? I hope it's 1908 Andy 'Peaches' Nelson.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Goddamn mystery box

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Strike-O-Matic.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
By the way, mentholmoose, you can get my new pick if you'll part with anyone who could actually improve my team.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Mornacale posted:

By the way, mentholmoose, you can get my new pick if you'll part with anyone who could actually improve my team.
1961 Stan Williams for the pick? He closed for a while for the Superstars in SL VII. Had like a 3.95 ERA I think.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Slim pickings.

Rick Reuschel, '86

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

mentholmoose posted:

1961 Stan Williams for the pick? He closed for a while for the Superstars in SL VII. Had like a 3.95 ERA I think.

Not really convinced he's any better than Orosco or Hiller. I'd take a top reliever or your 1st-round SuperDraft pick.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Mornacale posted:

Not really convinced he's any better than Orosco or Hiller. I'd take a top reliever or your 1st-round SuperDraft pick.
I don't think Orosco, who I would've taken, is any better than any of my other RP's, and I'm not trading SuperDraft picks for anybody right now.

Make your pick if you want; I think I'll pass on a trade for a pick for now.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Mornacale posted:

It has come to the attention of the Bloggers that we have been committing the sin of Blocking The Box. Therefore--now that our honor and bloodlust have been sated--we have agreed to remit The Box to its original owner, tatankatonk, in exchange for some considerations, namely the #68 pick in the SLVII Dispersal Draft and the San Juan Elephants' first-round pick in the SLVIII SuperDraft.

We wish the best of luck to the Elephants and the Box.

(Pictured: Web 2.0 Bloggers player/manager 1964 Lou Piniella contemplates the Mystery Box.)

Trade confirmed, please stand by for the official opening of the Mystery Box.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

For the second time, the San Juan Elephants gather together in their clubhouse, hold hands, take a deep breath, and open the Mystery Box.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Okay, cool. I couldn't see anyone that would be worth anyone I'd want to trade for, but I figured there was always a chance you did.

The Bloggers select 1981 Jesse Orosco. UltimoDragonQuest is on the clock.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Very well, in the mystery box is the greatest basketball player of all-time! A first-ballot Hall of Famer....

From North Carolina...6'6''...MICHAEL JORDAN!

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
My god, it's full of stars.

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...

The Commies have reached a trade agreement with the Landers.

Commies get: 1995 Greg Maddux
Landers get: 2004 Miguel Tejada

Insurance for the questions about the SS's quality is as follows:

quote:

At the time of the Super Draft:

IF Tejada's OBP < .300 (he's not contributing on offense)
AND Tejada's DRAA < 0 (and he's also playing bad defense)
OR if one of them is truly lousy (OBP < .250, or DRAA < -10)

THEN the Landers have the right to one of the following:
-Return Tejada to the Commies, in return for your 1st round pick, to draft a new shortstop;
-Exchange our 1st round pick for your 1st round pick, if you decide you'd rather have a pick than Tejada back;
-Or the Commies can opt to void the deal and return Maddux for Tejada and retain the pick

Worst case, we'd each veto our worst option, and go with whatever's left (the benefit of having exactly three options)

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Interim Roster Post:

C. Hartnett, Gabby 29 (1930 Chicago Cubs) / Irod 2001 edition
1B. Albert Pujols 2009? ish?
2B. Hornsby, Rodgers "Rajah" 33 (1930 Chicago Cubs) / Sandberg 1984
3B. Santo 1964 edition
SS. Luke Sewell 1924 / A yount 1982

LF. Billy Williams 1964 / Bob Johnson 1935
CF. Tris, Speaker "Grey Eagle" 23 (1911 Boston Red Sox)
RF. Walker, Larry 30 (1997 Colorado Rockies) / Carlos Beltran 2008

DH. Musial, Stan "The Man" 38 (1959 Cardinals) and/or Mel Ott (age 36)

Minors:

Riggs Stephenson 1930
Yount the eldar 1990
Mel Ottens, Age 36.

Pitchers:

Starting Pitcher 1: Johnson, Walter "Big Train" 36 (1922 Senadores)
Starting Pitcher 2: Mathewson, Christy "Big Six" 20 (1901 2nd Dervishes)
Starting Pitcher 3: Schilling, Curtis "Curt" 33 (2000 (sic) Arizona Diamond-Backs)
Starting Pitcher 4: Martinez, Pedro (2004 Boston Red Sox)
Starting Pitcher 5: Steve Carlton, 1972? 78? Something.

Closer: Soria, Joakim 24 (2009 Kansas City Royals)
Setup: Reardon, Jeff 1989 Twins (CBX)
Short Relief: Sasiki?
Short Relief: Coke, Phil 28 (2002 Detroit Tigers? Super auction from the bronies)
Middle Relief: Mike Montgomery?
Long Relief: Collins, Ray 24 (1911 Boston Red Sox)

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 11, 2012

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN
It's more beautiful then I ever could have imagined!

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Very well, in the mystery box is the greatest basketball player of all-time! A first-ballot Hall of Famer....

Yes, yes! Can I get a stat sheet? The slams...the jams...

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Hahahahahahaha

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Smasher Dynamo posted:

I'll gladly take him off your hands, I just need to check and see if the '57 Globetrotters would like to get rid of their Gibby.

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN
They should have sent a poet...

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Smasher Dynamo posted:

10/10

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Tornados draft John Hiller '68

Please reveal Steve, Prince of Fate

On the clock: blakelmenakle

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Also, since the draft is wrapping up I may as well throw out one more advertisement for Johnny Mize. He owns, give me cool players for him.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Worth it

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...
Interim roster post (3 spots TBD; I assume we'll be able to drop guys after the SuperDraft and don't have to keep roster spots open for the first half of the year?), since I've gone into wheel'n'deal mode:

C - 2004 Javy Lopez
1B - 2011 Paul Konerko
2B - 1969 Joe Morgan
SS - 2004 Melvin Mora
3B - 2012 Ryan Zimmerman
LF - 2011 Carlos Quentin
CF - 1937 Earl Averill
RF - 1964 Roberto Clemente
DH - 1964 Willie Stargell

C 1964 Smoky Burgess
2B 2004 Brian Roberts
SS 2011 Alexei Ramirez
OF 2012 Jayson Werth
OF 2012 Mike Morse

Rotation (order TBD)
1964 Bob Veale
1995 Greg Maddux
1996 Kevin Brown
2012 Stephen Strasburg
2012 Gio Gonzalez

Bullpen
Closer: 2011 Chris Sale
Setup: 2011 Sergio Santos
Short Relief: 2004 BJ Ryan
Short Relief: 2012 Tyler Clippard
Middle Relief: 2012 Sean Burnett
Long Relief: 2011 Jake Peavy

Minors
1964 Jim Pagliaroni
1B 2004 Rafael Palmeiro
2011 John Danks

Faustoan Bargain fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 11, 2012

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Faustoan Bargain posted:

Interim roster post (3 spots TBD; I assume we'll be able to drop guys after the SuperDraft and don't have to keep roster spots open for the first half of the year?), since I've gone into wheel'n'deal mode:

The only time there's a cap on roster size is entering your first Super League season. You can have as many players as you want after that.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Faustoan Bargain posted:

The Commies have reached a trade agreement with the Landers.

Commies get: 1995 Greg Maddux
Landers get: 2004 Miguel Tejada

Insurance for the questions about the SS's quality is as follows:

I get the feeling Smasher is right and I've royally botched this offseason, but the Landers confirm.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
One of the best pitchers in history in his prime for an over-the-hill shortstop that hasn't usually performed well in the Super-League? What could go wrong?

Anyway, in other business, the Chicago Bobbleheads, holders of the Television Title, have shuffled off this mortal coil, leaving the Television Title vacant. Who will be the next holder of the Television Title?

Television Title 60-Game Playoff

Results

I don't imagine this is much of a surprise to you, Marauder. The Phoenixes have always been a team that got by on luck more than an overwhelming roster.

Well, you won, and at least Posey wasn't as terrible as he was last season.

Joe Sewell: 60 games, 15 extra base hits.

Babe Ruth provides, as always, but he never quite can get you to the promised land.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!
Saturn Biosparks select

Neftali Feliz '10

Marauder on the clock

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Who wants to read about a pointless and probably stupid trade? Oh, I do!

Bloggers give: 1996 Kevin Brown, 1st-round SuperDraft pick
Commies give: 1911 Chief Bender, Dispersal Draft pick #74, 2nd-round SuperDraft pick, PTBNL
Stipulations:
1) The 1st-round SuperDraft pick in question will be the Bloggers' last pick in that round.
2) The PTBNL will be chosen from a player not on the Commies' 30-man roster.

I honestly have no idea whether this trade was a tidy win or a huge mistake or a total waste of time, and that's why I am a good owner.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

The Phoenixes, saddened by their execrable performance in the Cable Cup, draft CF Carlos Beltrán.

Cheer up, Carlos, the Phoenixes might be the Mets of the Smasher League, but...actually, I can't think of anything uplifting. Good luck out there!

Thanks for standing by on the pick, Smasher.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

I have a message from Marauder, which I will paraphrase for you now:

e: drat it, he actually was paying attention. Well, I stand by what I wrote.

The Merry Marauder posted:

Greetings, my foolish foes. I could not help but laugh as I saw one after another of you choose mediocre reliever after mediocre reliever. Yes, I'm sure that the one piece your outstanding team was missing was a middle reliever. Clearly, your teams are so excellent that you can afford to pass up players with real value.

Now, unfortunately, I am evidently not as wealthy in talent as you all, and therefore, instead of taking 40 innings of the John Axford experience, I will instead use my first and last pick of this draft on the best center fielder of his era, Carlos Beltran, 2004 vintage.

With love,

T.M. Marauder

Mornacale

You're back on the clock.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Well, you said what I was actually thinking, so, ah, well put.

I admit I do now get to experience fifty innings of the Scott Linebrink experience; perhaps I should do something about that.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

The Merry Marauder posted:

Well, you said what I was actually thinking, so, ah, well put.

I admit I do now get to experience fifty innings of the Scott Linebrink experience; perhaps I should do something about that.

Marauder, that Ty Wigginton-for-Mr-Irrelevant offer's still on the table. Also I'm interested in the Bangers' first-round SuperDraft pick.

e: Oh, and I just picked 2010 Adrian Beltre. Viscount Slim, you're up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Mornacale posted:

Marauder, that Ty Wigginton-for-Mr-Irrelevant offer's still on the table. Also I'm interested in the Bangers' first-round SuperDraft pick.

Sadly, there's more value to be found even with the last pick than I can squander on sending Wiggy to molder in my Manila AAA affiliate with Kevin Millar and Vicente Padilla, satisfying as it might be. Besides, as a Phillies fan, I now feel morally obligated to send my copy of Michael Young there instead, in anticipation of all the joy to come.

And first-round Super-Draft picks are far too valuable to be traded at this point. They're excellent for covering gaps left by season-ending injuries, for one thing. But, I expect you know that, given your rapacious appetite for them.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 11, 2012