Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Cemetry Gator posted:

Having God's endorsement has seriously got to be the least meaningful thing ever. He's very good about choosing losers.
He's the only Jewish Republican more prominent than Lieberman (I!!!) these days, so they have to pay their respects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

If Allen West weren't completely deplorable, he really would be my favorite person just for how batshit he is. :allears:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

What more noble and imposing gift can there be than a Chinese made pot metal "samurai" sword you bought at the mall?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

The Washington Examiner asks the question nobody else is asking: why isn't Rick Santorum the GOP 2016 frontrunner?

I'm thinking it might have something to do with the fact that he has to say that he won't ban contraception. That it's still an open question. That might be the problem.

Could be because good, honest, straight as a board, God-fearing men such as himself can't even take an innocuous shower at the YMCA in Austin without the looming threat of liberalism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKNnSk5CEFA

No word on whether the environmentalists are the ones breaking up all those church youth group Turkish oil wrestling matches yet.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 7, 2013

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

ReindeerF posted:

He's the only Jewish Republican more prominent than Lieberman (I!!!) these days, so they have to pay their respects.

Have you ever read the Bible? Pure Liberal trash, filled to the brim with sex and violence.

In Genesis, it's starts with a bunch of naked people, and when they start wearing clothes, God gets really pissed off. Think about that! It's condoning nudism! I wonder if going to church leads to increase in nudist behavior?

Then later on, Lot's daughter has sex with him so she could bear a child. I mean, what? Incest is cool now? And then don't get me started on Sodom and Ghmorrah. Pure liberal values through and through that Bible. There is not one good story in the Old Testament that isn't filled with sex, violence, and violent sex.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Cemetry Gator posted:

Have you ever read the Bible? Pure Liberal trash, filled to the brim with sex and violence.

In Genesis, it's starts with a bunch of naked people, and when they start wearing clothes, God gets really pissed off. Think about that! It's condoning nudism! I wonder if going to church leads to increase in nudist behavior?

Then later on, Lot's daughter has sex with him so she could bear a child. I mean, what? Incest is cool now? And then don't get me started on Sodom and Ghmorrah. Pure liberal values through and through that Bible. There is not one good story in the Old Testament that isn't filled with sex, violence, and violent sex.

What about that Jesus fella in the New Testament? Chasing off honest bankers, being all preachy about helping the poor and talking about peace bullshit like turning the other cheek, sounds like a proper commie to me.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

comes along bort posted:

Could be because good, honest, straight as a board, God-fearing men such as himself can't even take an innocuous shower at the YMCA in Austin without the looming threat of liberalism:

No word on whether the environmentalists are the ones breaking up all those church youth group Turkish oil wrestling matches yet.

What's the context of this speech? The crowd is so dead quiet.

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 7, 2013

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Lord Tywin posted:

What about that Jesus fella in the New Testament? Chasing off honest bankers, being all preachy about helping the poor and talking about peace bullshit like turning the other cheek, sounds like a proper commie to me.

Hung around 12 men and prostitutes? Was punished by the state for being subversive? Probably had long hair? Possibly wore a dress and sandals? I mean, by that definition, we got a real pinko on our hands.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

computer parts posted:

Populism has always been trendy (every political convention ever: "We are the voice of America, and we're going to do the people's work!" ). The libertarian part is just "Government = bad" which isn't exactly a new thing for the GOP.

Yes but this new rhetoric has really toned down the job creator worship and is even critical of banks sometimes.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I recall him testing the waters on this in 2012 with the whole "what a snob" angle he would pull about working class people. I mean Santorum's a tone deaf idiot and he'll never make it work, but someone like Christie looks and sounds the blue collar hero part and probably could make it work.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

comes along bort posted:

Was that just out of context or something or what the hell was he on about with the showers at the YMCA? :psyduck:

Or is it some sort of liberal weakness that they want the showers less than conservatives? I really don't get it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Chris Matthews: Rand Paul Will Be The 2016 GOP Nominee

quote:

Arguing that the 2016 GOP primaries will parallel the 2008 Democratic nomination contest, when Barack Obama bested Hillary Clinton because Iraq War opponents were fed up "with the party leaders who played it safe and backed the war," Matthews said Republicans will make a similar choice.

"I believe the Republican base will do the same in 2016," Matthews said. "They put up with George Bush the first, put up with Bob Dole, were deeply disappointed with the big-spending George W and last year, again, by Mitt Romney and are now going to come loaded for bear for the race for 2016. So I predict the hard right is gonna take over the Republican party in 2016 and the nomination is going to Rand Paul."

"You watch," he said in closing. "This is what I do for a living."

So since the GOP has put up with the past four GOP candidates, this time they will go full crazy and pick Paul. Wasn't their real chance during the last election, after the whole TP movement was high off winning big in 2010? Any one of the other GOP candidates would've been better for them than Romney (Huntsman doesn't count), but they went with him. Like they're going to have more power in 2016.

I still think Christie would mop the floor with Paul, but Christie also doesn't seem craven enough to pander to primary voters in a way that would be acceptable.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Jesus Christ, the Dems must be wetting themselves with excitement over a Rand Paul primary victory.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Junior G-man posted:

Jesus Christ, the Dems must be wetting themselves with excitement over a Rand Paul primary victory.

Given that his dad is now embroiled in a bribery scandal I can't fathom a Rand nomination against a white person that is anything other than a humiliating sweep.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Honestly there are worse strategies. Until you give the base a nut, they will hold on to their cherished "our guy lost because we didn't have the guts to run a REAL conservative!" belief. Suck it up, put Nutbar McDoctorwig up for the general, eat the landslide loss in 2016, and prep a serious Latino for 2020 after death panels kill off the Tea Partiers.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

SedanChair posted:

Honestly there are worse strategies. Until you give the base a nut, they will hold on to their cherished "our guy lost because we didn't have the guts to run a REAL conservative!" belief. Suck it up, put Nutbar McDoctorwig up for the general, eat the landslide loss in 2016, and prep a serious Latino for 2020 after death panels kill off the Tea Partiers.

I like it when people pretend McCain isn't one of the core pillars of the Republican bloc in Washington.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Cheekio posted:

I like it when people pretend McCain isn't one of the core pillars of the Republican bloc in Washington.

You don't understand. People like Michele Bachaman are really in charge, even though none of their legislation ever gets out of committee. It's the thought that counts.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I can't wait for the loving Republican primaries. Especially if Rand is there.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Orange_Lazarus posted:

I'm making the blackest of sacrifices every full moon to ensure The Donald actually runs this time.

God, I hope it's even more of a clown cart than last time.

(9-9-9)

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Barudak posted:

Given that his dad is now embroiled in a bribery scandal I can't fathom a Rand nomination against a white person that is anything other than a humiliating sweep.
That seems like the least of Rand's electoral weaknesses. Attacking people's parents isn't usually a good tactic, even if their parents are terrible (see: Joe Kennedy).

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

Junior G-man posted:

God, I hope it's even more of a clown cart than last time.

(9-9-9)

We really need a smiley for the GOP primaries like :bandwagon: except with all of the crazy piling in (and the institution-backed frontrunner sprinting to get on).

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Acrophyte posted:

We really need a smiley for the GOP primaries like :bandwagon: except with all of the crazy piling in (and the institution-backed frontrunner sprinting to get on).

It's a shame that :newt: is no longer relevant.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

SedanChair posted:

Yep. The right did it with Goldwater in '64--they can do it again. Give the loonies their day in the sun, and then when they get absolutely curbstomped, get back to business.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Alter Ego posted:

Yep. The right did it with Goldwater in '64--they can do it again. Give the loonies their day in the sun, and then when they get absolutely curbstomped, get back to business.

If Goldwater had actually told the GOP anything we wouldn't have the Tea Party today.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Puella Magissima posted:

It's a shame that :newt: is no longer relevant.

How can you say the leader (possibly) of the civilizing forces is no longer relevant.

Actually, now that I think about it everyone should start calling him irrelevant more often.

I mean last time it happened we got this loving gem. :allears:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Just have :freep: :tinfoil: :banjo: :catholic: and :corsair: roll into a spaceship piloted by :newt:, then have it blast off and fly into the moon.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Junior G-man posted:

Was that just out of context or something or what the hell was he on about with the showers at the YMCA? :psyduck:

Or is it some sort of liberal weakness that they want the showers less than conservatives? I really don't get it.

It's the old "gay men might be ogling me" chestnut jazzed up with a setting involving nudity, so the bigot gets to paint himself as vulnerable, and nominal Christianity, though ironically far more people already associate the YMCA with gay culture than even know what the C stands for.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
It's an obscure reference to one of those numerous "I'm being oppressed for being a white, straight, Christian male!" incidents.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/texas-ymca-boots-pro-life-student-group-99867/

quote:

A group of pro-life students from around the nation who've gathered in Austin, Texas this week for an abortion protest at the state capitol has been banned from a local YMCA after pro-choice activists complained about the students using the facility's showers.

John Nance Garner
Aug 16, 2012

Bring your bourbon and cigars to the "Bureau of Education".

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Cruz and Paul are going to make the primaries a complete circus--the greatest show on Earth. Then Christie will have an aneurysm on-stage during the debates because he can't believe he's in the same party as them.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Someone needs to make a Newt reskin of Kerbal Space Program.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

The Entire Universe posted:

Just have :freep: :tinfoil: :banjo: :catholic: and :corsair: roll into a spaceship piloted by :newt:, then have it blast off and fly into the moon.

:lol:

Newt needs to run again. For my amusement America :911:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Acrophyte posted:

:lol:

Newt needs to run again. For my amusement America :911:

Well that's not going to happen but the next best thing is! Not only is CNN bringing back crossfire, they're making :newt: the new host of it. He's not going away yet.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Well that's not going to happen but the next best thing is! Not only is CNN bringing back crossfire, they're making :newt: the new host of it. He's not going away yet.

If he doesn't bring back Lincoln / Douglas style debates on that format then I will be sorely disappointed.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

A Winner is Jew posted:

If he doesn't bring back Lincoln / Douglas style debates on that format then I will be sorely disappointed.

Never gonna happen. That would require Newt not talking for 3 hours.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

John Nance Garner posted:

Cruz and Paul are going to make the primaries a complete circus--the greatest show on Earth. Then Christie will have an aneurysm on-stage during the debates because he can't believe he's in the same party as them.

I have to wonder what line would have to be crossed for the Christies and the Brookses of the world to have enough disgust for the party to leave it.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

I have to wonder what line would have to be crossed for the Christies and the Brookses of the world to have enough disgust for the party to leave it.

Losing. Not just once. Repeatedly and embarrassingly.

David Brooks is a cipher that has turned defending immense wealth and privilege into a well-paid gig. If the big money ever fled the GOP, he'd follow.

Christie isn't the party uber alles kind of guy either. He's not going to stick around if you take away his future.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
This came across my podcasts today r last night:

http://onpoint.wbur.org/2013/08/06/rand-paul

It's John Harwood hosting On Point (Tom Ashbrook's call-in show) about libertarianism and the last segment is an interview with Rand Paul. Harwood really was baiting him, frankly, from the beginning with like all the questions being "So, what does this person think of you?" and "How are you different from your dad?" It's totally understandable, but a bit more substance would have laid the trap for the inevitable, "So, are you a racist?" part of the interview, which is where Paul goes off.

After doing the thing where he turns the tables on the host and acts all pissy, he keeps dragging it up. A Caller calls in and asks why people are only interested in smearing others and Paul uses it to whack Harwood around all over again. That part's all pretty entertaining, but the best part is that by the end he has his hackles up so strong that when he gets asked if libertarians wouldn't want to get rid of programs like social security and medicare he completely denies it, says the host is basically making things up and goes through the entire charade twice. I actually went back and listened twice because it was like :lol: The last honest libertarian, Rand Paul, who has no idea where John Harwood would get the idea that libertarians are against social welfare programs.

I forget where the interview gets interesting, but it felt like probably the last 8-10 minutes of the program maybe.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Acrophyte posted:

Losing. Not just once. Repeatedly and embarrassingly.

David Brooks is a cipher that has turned defending immense wealth and privilege into a well-paid gig. If the big money ever fled the GOP, he'd follow.

Christie isn't the party uber alles kind of guy either. He's not going to stick around if you take away his future.

I agree, but conversely he's not going to jump ship without a pretty solid guarantee of a future elsewhere. The GOP being dead weight isn't enough if he judges his chances would be even worse (as it'd be hard to avoid being tarred a turncoat and difficult to woo constituencies that previously had been antagonistic) as a Dem or independent.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Raskolnikov38 posted:

How long until he says something so stupid, cruel or downright embarrassingly kooky that they swap him out as a host? I'm betting somewhere in the area of 3 months. He's not used to being held accountable for his words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

How long until he says something so stupid, cruel or downright embarrassingly kooky that they swap him out as a host? I'm betting somewhere in the area of 3 months. He's not used to being held accountable for his words.

Hey man, this isn't 1990's "respectable" CNN anymore. Newt will be allowed, even encouraged, to spew whatever nonsense he likes.

• Locked thread