Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Plus, it's best to do it now while the other catechisms are fresh in your mind. Otherwise, you'll have to re-learn a lot down the line when you decide to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
As above, it's optional in a sense, but it's good to get it done. In my jurisdiction, in addition to holding office, you also need to complete it if you intend to join an appendant body.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Tomorrow I become a templar.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Loomer posted:

Tomorrow I become a templar.

Welcome, friend.

I just got elected as Commander for 2017, so I'm excited about that.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Anyone in the Boise area? I'm curious about joining.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

TheManWithNoName posted:

Anyone in the Boise area? I'm curious about joining.

Not in Boise but if you've got non-area specific questions ask away - that's what this thread is for.

If you have area-specific questions, I'd just email the Secretary of a Lodge you're interested in and meet them at the social time before/after the Lodge meets. If you don't know what Lodge at all, I'd get in contact with the Grand Lodge of Idaho. The Grand Secretary should be able to point you at a few Lodge secretaries to start conversations with.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Rest in Peace, Bro. Glenn

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Colonial Air Force posted:

Rest in Peace, Bro. Glenn

A Brother of abundant accomplishments, to be sure. His working tools saw a lot of use before he laid them down.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Dick Nipples posted:

Not in Boise but if you've got non-area specific questions ask away - that's what this thread is for.

If you have area-specific questions, I'd just email the Secretary of a Lodge you're interested in and meet them at the social time before/after the Lodge meets. If you don't know what Lodge at all, I'd get in contact with the Grand Lodge of Idaho. The Grand Secretary should be able to point you at a few Lodge secretaries to start conversations with.

Thanks, I've got a few that I'm sure have been asked before but here goes:

1. I don't attend church on a regular basis, but I do meet all the qualifications. Is this something they tend to ask about?

2. While technically I'm closer to a smaller lodge, I would prefer to join the Grand Lodge as it's only a little farther away and I assume more active. Are the boundaries pretty strict? Would this be frowned upon?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Church attendance is not a usual concern outside of the Christian-only Masonic orders, other than as part of a general 'are you a good bloke?' question.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

TheManWithNoName posted:

Thanks, I've got a few that I'm sure have been asked before but here goes:

1. I don't attend church on a regular basis, but I do meet all the qualifications. Is this something they tend to ask about?

2. While technically I'm closer to a smaller lodge, I would prefer to join the Grand Lodge as it's only a little farther away and I assume more active. Are the boundaries pretty strict? Would this be frowned upon?

@1 - nah should be fine. We have Deists and Theists in my Lodge. No church for most of them :).

@2 - you don't really "join" a Grand Lodge. Grand Lodge is comprised of Past Masters, sitting Masters, and sitting Wardens. You won't technically be part of GL till you're a warden or master of a Lodge (not to be confused with being a Master Mason).

If you mean that a Lodge meets in the GL building then that's fine. I generally encourage people to join the closest Lodge you like. Cuts down friction on attendance when life gets busy.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Have you ever had a guy who works in actual masonry dispute the meaning of one of your metaphors?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Well, the KT degree was certainly something special.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Knights Templar is the Jesus only one, right? Actually a bit disappointed I will never get to do that stuff. Just the Scottish for me.

Although even that is a bit in the future.

The proficiency discussion is timely for me - basically had to go on an 6 month hiatus after the third degree while wife recovered from surgery and am totally going to have to relearn it all from scratch. My memory is leaky under the best conditions.

Really looking forward to going back to meetings and seeing the Brothers again though. Been a hell of a year.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Knights Templar is the Jesus only one, right? Actually a bit disappointed I will never get to do that stuff. Just the Scottish for me.

The proficiency discussion is timely for me - basically had to go on an 6 month hiatus after the third degree while wife recovered from surgery and am totally going to have to relearn it all from scratch. My memory is leaky under the best conditions.

Really looking forward to going back to meetings and seeing the Brothers again though. Been a hell of a year.

Depending on the jurisdiction - it's the "Jesus only" one or it's the "I will defend my Christian brethren and their faith" one. I know a couple of KT members that are Jewish

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
My Jurisdiction is one of the Jesus only ones, but the rite itself is the same and the obligation in its only to defend and maintain. The difference is you sign a document affirming a belief in the Christian faith and the holy and undivided trinity first, so it's also a trinitarian-only organization. I posted a couple of months back about my dilemma, as I'm not exactly a conventional christian given my tendency towards syncretism and more Noachide outlook, but I did some soulsearching and found that I could in fact honestly, honourably, and without deceit tick the box.

I think eventually there will be a Templar branch that doesn't ask it here, but it's a way off yet. As it stands... I suppose it all depends on the individual. For most Masons here, that's an easy box to tick, or a small deception they're able to live with if they're non-trinitarian. For others, like myself, it's either a question of reexamining and interpreting beliefs to see if they actually fit or not (in my case, it turned out that I spent an awful lot of time praying to Jesus, emulating his works, reading his words, and esteeming him as a Rabbi, etc, for a non-Christian, and held a belief in the trinity in a slightly different form. I just had a lot of personal and family baggage to do with the idea of being a Christian, but once I shed that off and made a determination that I can ignore whatever Paul said if he was being a dick at the time I had no issue with being one), and for others still, whether their religion has an analogous figure who can be read as Christ and trinity and whether they're comfortable with lying to their brothers (which they shouldn't be.)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Dick Nipples posted:

Depending on the jurisdiction - it's the "Jesus only" one or it's the "I will defend my Christian brethren and their faith" one. I know a couple of KT members that are Jewish

Ah, didn't realize it varied. It's definitely the "swearing things I cannot honestly swear in regards to Jesus" thing here, at least. I'm not any flavour of Christian, so looking it over there was no way I could honestly join. Those who have seem to really love it though.

quote:

On a side note, I wonder how new side degrees get recognized as legitimate. I've got the idea for one rattling around in my noggin' built around King Solomon and the important role of justice and equity in applying moral virtue and in our obedience to the law of the land (especially where the law of the land is disagreeable but not abominable to masonic principles), but it'd be a shame to be labelled irregular or clandestine if I create it and start working it with other master masons.

I've actually been looking into this myself. I love the history of Masonry and since I joined have been digging into it whenever I have free time (which has been rare, at least so far) - for example, existing degrees were almost constantly reworked to reflect modern cultural touchstones. I had a discussion with some other masons who were thoroughly involved in the local Scottish Rite, and if we were still following historical trends... well, let's just say there would probably be a lot of differences.

I think there were actual regulations in the early 1900s added to prevent not just new Rites from being recognized in the US but new affiliated bodies as well, though I might be misremembering the details. Based on what I could find, the answer was "If you want to do something novel, you need to do it outside the US" but it is very possible I am wrong as well.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 11, 2016

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm in your boat, with regards to the KT, Brother. Although there isn't exactly consensus among the Brethren as to whether or not my Judaism disqualifies me from the Rite. I've been told by one Brother that it's the simple "swear to defend Christianity", and by another that if I'm"one of those Jews that believes in Jesus" I'm ok. I decided to go through and obtain my 32nd instead.

Best of luck on your proficiency! It's not as demanding as the others, to me, but it certainly feels that way if you're coming back fresh.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

I'm in your boat, with regards to the KT, Brother. Although there isn't exactly consensus among the Brethren as to whether or not my Judaism disqualifies me from the Rite. I've been told by one Brother that it's the simple "swear to defend Christianity", and by another that if I'm"one of those Jews that believes in Jesus" I'm ok. I decided to go through and obtain my 32nd instead.

Best of luck on your proficiency! It's not as demanding as the others, to me, but it certainly feels that way if you're coming back fresh.

KT is an interesting one - I have literally no interest in it based on what I've read. Dress up doesn't appeal, the degree lessons sound interesting but I can't good conscience do it just for that - part of joining is participating.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The uniform here is very different from the one I see yanks and Canucks wearing. We don't wear fancy feather hats like the americans and military dress like both. We wear surcoat, mantle, sash and chapeau like the British. But we also wear our actual aprons and not cloth aprons in Lodge, so.

Might be an interesting book of masonic trivia - both the meaningful and insignificant ways degree regalia and lodge adornment differ between jurisdictions, lodges by age, and cultures where there's an influencing local factor.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Did the 2nd degree initiation last week. What a snoozer compared to the first. I have heard hints about how cool the 3rd is but this one was kind of a let down after the 1st. At least the catechism is insanely easy

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

The 2nd degree lecture is the best one you GOD DAMNED HEATHEN

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Emron posted:

Emron posted:

Emron posted:

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Animal-Mother posted:

Have you ever had a guy who works in actual masonry dispute the meaning of one of your metaphors?

I don't see how that would occur. Everything is pretty much "here is what this item is actually used for in construction, but you can also look at it like this!" it's not exactly controversial stuff man

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Emron posted:

*SNORE*

Nah I actually did like the lecture, looking back on it. I had to look up some youtube videos of people talking around it for it to actually sink it. They had the oldest guy in the lodge (who actually really owns as a person) conduct it so it took a long long long time and I think I just kind of zoned out after awhile.

It just didnt have the OOMPH imo

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The oomph sucks you in, but the beauty and subtlety of masonry is in the "boring" parts.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

COOL CORN posted:

The oomph sucks you in, but the beauty and subtlety of masonry is in the "boring" parts.

I understand and agree with that. I was just bitching about my personal experience tbh. I think that, like most things in life, events and experiences improve upon later reflection

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Seeing the degree performed on others allows a considerable amount of contemplation and self comparison, as well as how other jurisdictions perform the same.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

The ritual experience of FC is pretty vanilla, it's true. The lecture (at least in my jurisdiction) is the most unique and has the best narrative flow to it. One of the joys of masonry is coming back to a degree you've already gone through, or even have seen several times, and taking something new away from it.

Also, my state is doing a grand master's class (a one-day program where guys get initiated, passed, and raised all in one go) this coming year, and I got asked to deliver the MM lecture for it. I'm really excited! One day classes are a controversial topic, I know, but I'm really looking forward to capping off the Masonic degree experience for a large group of new brothers.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Emron posted:

Also, my state is doing a grand master's class (a one-day program where guys get initiated, passed, and raised all in one go) this coming year, and I got asked to deliver the MM lecture for it.

Wow, I had no idea that those existed. lol that seems like it would take pretty much ALL of the OOMPH out of the entire experience to me. Congrats on being trusted to deliver the lecture though

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Oil of Paris posted:

Wow, I had no idea that those existed. lol that seems like it would take pretty much ALL of the OOMPH out of the entire experience to me. Congrats on being trusted to deliver the lecture though

You also see attendance issues from guys who go through them, as you'd expect. They're controversial. It's been a while since the grand lodge in my state has had one.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
There is talk of doing that for the entire royal arch here. I oppose it and if offered my response will be a very firm no, because you need time to meditate on the lessons of each degree before undertaking the next if you don't want to emerge with zero comprehension of what you learn.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Loomer posted:

There is talk of doing that for the entire royal arch here. I oppose it and if offered my response will be a very firm no, because you need time to meditate on the lessons of each degree before undertaking the next if you don't want to emerge with zero comprehension of what you learn.

I've thought about the concept this evening ever since reading the post and I guess I come down on the side of not really supporting it for just any old joe. I know that I'm not finished yet, but this whole process of "earning" the degrees has made the whole experience much more meaningful than it would be to come down for a couple hours then badda bing badda boom congrats newest MM

I'm probably learning the same amount of actual information as those one day dudes, if I didn't do any extracurricular research that is, but the length of process and the existence of some hoops to jump through, however insignificant, still imparts a meaningfulness to the work that I just think I wouldn't get if I did this poo poo like on a free Saturday and that was that.

Also, it seems like it would cheapen the whole initiation process. Seems so personal and individual for the candidate... would totally suck to share it with like 10 other people lmao

To me, it seems like a one day initiation should be a really special occasion and probably only for people who have an established need for something like that, a la super busy schedule, significant physical disability, some other hosed up thing that happened to them and kept them from finishing the degrees in the usual manner

That said I wouldn't judge somebody who decided to get initiated like that. I would just kind of feel sad that they missed out on a bunch of rewarding work and some cool experiences

That's my 2c as a noob

Edit: And NO DOUBT in the beginning i wouldve said "gently caress yeah ill do this in a day. are you loving joking thats it??? SIGN ME UP" if the option had been presented to me, but I'm 100% glad I never knew about the existence of this initiation style bc I now see the work and my ability to do the work satisfactorily as being important to me

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 14, 2016

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm not a fan of one-day degree fests myself, especially for the appendant bodies.

Here we do all 10 York Rite degrees (4 Royal Arch degrees, the 2 Cryptic Council degrees, and all 3 Commandery orders) over the course of 1.5 days. It's insane, everyone's exhausted, and none of the candidates remember any of it by the end.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
On the note of multiple candidates, that's one thing I sure as hell won't countenance in my Lodge I I ever take the chair. No one does the third degree from the sidelines.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Loomer posted:

On the note of multiple candidates, that's one thing I sure as hell won't countenance in my Lodge I I ever take the chair. No one does the third degree from the sidelines.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of it either. They do it a lot here, but not where I was raised. It was jarring when I first saw it, and I feel like it takes away from the experience.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

COOL CORN posted:

I'm not a fan of one-day degree fests myself, especially for the appendant bodies.

Here we do all 10 York Rite degrees (4 Royal Arch degrees, the 2 Cryptic Council degrees, and all 3 Commandery orders) over the course of 1.5 days. It's insane, everyone's exhausted, and none of the candidates remember any of it by the end.

I kind of thought the appendant bodies were just like that. isnt scottish rite just watching a bunch of plays and poo poo?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Loomer posted:

In Ohio, we are currently permitted to take up to three brothers through a degree simultaneously. My lodge never does it so I don't know the logistics of it. Hands on shoulders maybe?

What we do is each guy does the first section separately, then we give them all the lecture at once. It works well, and we do a LOT of degree work in my lodge.

As for one day classes, I generally am not a fan of them because they seem like an attempt to boost membership numbers, but the actual ENGAGEMENT you get from those members is usually poor. That said, I'm pretty honored to be asked to lecture at it so I'm definitely not turning it down.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Oil of Paris posted:

I kind of thought the appendant bodies were just like that. isnt scottish rite just watching a bunch of plays and poo poo?

Scottish Rite is mostly conferred via dramatic plays, yeah. But, I will admit they are super beautiful and allegorical. You could spend your entire life studying those degrees if you wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Every time I've seen a third done more than one person at a time, they do the second half individually for each one, just the obligation and lecture are done as a group. Doing the second half of the third as a group without the proper initiatic experience rather defeats the point in my opinion.