Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Kegluneq posted:

:hist101: Readopt the Roman hora, exactly 12 hours between sunrise and sunset, whatever the time of year!

You [probably] jest, but technology really is reaching the point where it would be feasible to revert to local time instead of railway time with its arbitrary timezones :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

eSports Chaebol posted:

You [probably] jest, but technology really is reaching the point where it would be feasible to revert to local time instead of railway time with its arbitrary timezones :q:

And local currency?

rLOVEution?

I'm all for the pernicious influence of capital on society but really? Local time?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

withak posted:

More useful would be a projection based on travel time from the US to wherever in the late 19th/early 20th century.

This sounds like a fun project for when classes start this week. Interactive to change distance/travel time and draggable center of the map around wherever. Weee!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

withak posted:

More useful would be a projection based on travel time from the US to wherever in the late 19th/early 20th century.
Stanford did it for Ancient Rome

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Does anyone know of a map where it tries to depict "the light of civilization", with Europe and North America bright and much of the rest of the world in darkness?

I tried to find it in the thread, but no luck.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
That was definitely posted in the thread but I can't seem to find it either. :shobon:

Found it through Google here here though.

edit: oh found it. it was posted in this thread two times actually!

3peat
May 6, 2010

Haha Abyssinia Corrupt Christianity. That's quite rich coming from (I assume) a protestant.
I wonder if they viewed all orthodox christians as "corrupt" or only the coptic ones

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Roumba posted:

This sounds like a fun project for when classes start this week. Interactive to change distance/travel time and draggable center of the map around wherever. Weee!

I've seen one for the SF Bay Area where you pick a starting point and it generates contours of travel time on public transit.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

3peat posted:

Haha Abyssinia Corrupt Christianity. That's quite rich coming from (I assume) a protestant.
I wonder if they viewed all orthodox christians as "corrupt" or only the coptic ones

The correct answer is that your Christianity is corrupt if you're not white. There's no judgment passed on the religion of Russia even while it declares vast swathes of the country to be barbarous, but when we suddenly come to a country that's been Christian longer than England and happens to be filled with black people? Clearly a degenerate, twisted form of the Gospel!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's almost as if people invariably consider their own denomination to be the only legitimate way to practice a specific religion, and think that all other denominations are deviations. 3peat is even doing it in the Year of Our Lord 2013, by implying that Protestantism is somehow 'corrupt Christianity'.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Phlegmish posted:

It's almost as if people invariably consider their own denomination to be the only legitimate way to practice a specific religion, and think that all other denominations are deviations. 3peat is even doing it in the Year of Our Lord 2013, by implying that Protestantism is somehow 'corrupt Christianity'.
Protestantism is unquestionably 'corrupt Christianity' but then so are all denominations, from the perspective of each other and almost certainly from the perspective of 3rd C AD Christians. 3peat doesn't make any claim for any branch being 'correct' anyway.

3peat
May 6, 2010

edit: ^^yea exactly

Phlegmish posted:

What I'm implying is that Ethiopia has been chriastian since like the 3rd century and they still practice one of the oldest forms of the religion, so for a protestant whose denomination appeared over 1000 years later to label them as "corrupt" is just silly to me.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Yes, but as far as I can see, Ethiopia is the only place where the map maker gets catty about other Christians. Other Orthodox places either get their little crosses and no further comment, or they're not shown at all (Syria, Egypt, Armenia is just generic "Christian" for some reason). It's certainly suspicious.

e: VVV Again, if he subscribed to that belief he'd have to label at least all the Catholic areas as "corrupt", possibly even the areas where those Goddamn _____ splitters live.

Smirr fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 25, 2013

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
e: ^^ Okay, fair enough. :v:

Protestants usually claim that their doctrines are identical to those of the earliest Christians, before the Church got corrupted by temporal power and the Pope and true Christianity died out for hundreds of years before it was rediscovered.

Doesn't change the ridiculousness of that map, but you can kinda see where the author's coming from assuming they subscribe to that belief.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 25, 2013

arhra
Jun 27, 2006
Speaking of the lights of civilization, have a more literal version, courtesy of Nasa (ridiculously huge versions available at the link):

They also have some smaller regional maps, such as this one of the Korean peninsula and surrounding areas, which does an amazing job of contrasting North and South Korea:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The Ethiopian church is genuinely different though since they keep about 81 books in the bible vs the 66 of the protestant church.
They also follow the old testament rules much more heavily (they dont eat pork for example) and do their liturgy in Ge'ez while most of the locals speak Amharic.

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!

arhra posted:

They also have some smaller regional maps, such as this one of the Korean peninsula and surrounding areas, which does an amazing job of contrasting North and South Korea:

What are those lights out in the Sea of Japan? Oil/gas well flares?

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

BuckT.Trend posted:

What are those lights out in the Sea of Japan? Oil/gas well flares?

Fishing boats

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Indeed, that's the fishing fleet.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

What's up with the Newfies and their half hour time zone?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
You could try reading the thread.

Poizen Jam posted:

I live in one of the half-hour time zones, Newfoundland. We're a small province of 500k people who were deeply in the eastern half of the Atlantic Time Zone, near the border with the neighbouring timezone. At the time, we were an independent dominion (not yet part of Canada), so it was desirable to have a dominion-wide time zone. As we were a separate 'country', we retained the ability to adopt our own time zone. And since our capital lay squarely -3:30 from Greenwich, it made sense.

Today it's kind of retained for 2 reasons. Culturally it's a throwback to when we were an independent nation, and for tourism- we often promote events as happening here first; St. John's was the first city in North America to hit Y2K, or get midnight releases of anything from Harry Potter books to video games and movies.

So yeah I don't think we'll give it up anytime soon.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

You could try reading the thread.

I grew up in Newfoundland and the half hour time zone wasn't as crazy as the double daylight savings time we experimented with. I was going to school when it was pitch black out in the morning. Strange as hell. I think they switched back to standard daylight savings time shortly after. This was back in the 80's.

Officially Newfoundland & Labrador is on NST but in practice its just the Island and part of southern labrador [usually the parts you can drive to from the St. Barbe ferry], Labrador isn't continuously networked with a unified highway system.

QVC Drinking Game
Jun 23, 2005
I'm a little surprised how dark Argentina is outside of Buenos Aires; same with Chile. Do those countries just have very concentrated population centers with not much between them (like the US mountain west), or is that a reflection of rural poverty?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

QVC Drinking Game posted:

I'm a little surprised how dark Argentina is outside of Buenos Aires; same with Chile. Do those countries just have very concentrated population centers with not much between them (like the US mountain west), or is that a reflection of rural poverty?

Patagonia is not really that populated (only about 2 million people for both chile and Argentina) and I doubt many people want to live on the literal freezing rear end end of the world. :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

PittTheElder posted:

Indeed, that's the fishing fleet.

The fishing fleet is that big? Jesus H. Christ they're the size of loving cities. :stare:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

QVC Drinking Game posted:

On the flipside, why do people seem to be having massive discos every night in some of the least densely populated parts of Australia?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
And also what seems to be the entirety of the Italian Alps.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

khwarezm posted:

On the flipside, why do people seem to be having massive discos every night in some of the least densely populated parts of Australia?

Those will be the mining settlements I would presume.

e; and that's the Po River Valley, a full third of Italy's population lives there.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

khwarezm posted:

Mining? Sort of like how the Bakken and Eagle Ford in the US are lit up for oil drilling.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Craptacular posted:

Mining? Sort of like how the Bakken and Eagle Ford in the US are lit up for oil drilling.

Why do the lights down the center line up in a grid pattern? It doesn't seem to happen further west or in more populated areas, so I'm not really sure what's going on.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mister Adequate posted:

The fishing fleet is that big? Jesus H. Christ they're the size of loving cities. :stare:

Lots of fishing. Also squid is a major catch, and you use bigass lights on the ships to attract them up to you.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Badger of Basra posted:

Why do the lights down the center line up in a grid pattern? It doesn't seem to happen further west or in more populated areas, so I'm not really sure what's going on.

'Cause of how it was settled, isn't it? It was all done pretty artificially, compared to in the east and farther west where towns grew up in more natural places. There aren't many natural features to build stuff around in the great planes.

What's that stuff in the middle of Siberia? More mining?

and why is Java so well lit when Bangladesh isn't? I thought it was fairly poor, is it not?

Koramei fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 26, 2013

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Craptacular posted:

I was thinking that might be it, funnily enough I was able to dig up an old national Geographic map in the same vein from 2004 that shows some of the different sources of the light at night:

Red is natural gas burn off, yellow is the result of fire in forests or scrub-land, Blue is night fishing light (most obvious near Japan and the Falklands) and white is urban light. Oddly this seems to say that (at least in 2004) most of that Australian light in that area was the result of natural fire? That seems hard to believe considering the other fire hotspots don't stand out on the other map.

(Heres a link to the map so people can get a closer look)

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Badger of Basra posted:

Some pages back, there's a post that touches on the west being settled by townships. The midwest got this good. If you look at county maps, you'll see many midwest and western states have mostly square counties. The cities are probably at the center of many of them or the corners where a couple come together. The further west you go, say between Amarillo and ~100 miles from the Pacific, it looks a lot like "gently caress it, settle wherever is best."

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

GreenCard78 posted:

Some pages back, there's a post that touches on the west being settled by townships. The midwest got this good. If you look at county maps, you'll see many midwest and western states have mostly square counties. The cities are probably at the center of many of them or the corners where a couple come together. The further west you go, say between Amarillo and ~100 miles from the Pacific, it looks a lot like "gently caress it, settle wherever is best."

It's sort of like Sim City, where you start the game planning meticulously unique and beautiful neighborhoods, and then you just need some money for tax base so you zone some massive square neighborhoods with straight grid roads, and you get even farther west and you get bored and start playing another game.

In reality, the population patterns in the Central US follow highways and railroads rather than rivers (though the larger population centers occur where all of those intersect) and the roads/railroads were built in simple grid patterns since there aren't any natural obstacles like giant bodies of water or mountain ranges. The rural areas of the Plains are also more empty than the rural areas of the East, so the populated areas show up more starkly.

West of about 100ºW the annual average rainfall drops dramatically and the land didn't support many pioneering farmers who would become the precursors to dense concentrations of smaller cities like the East has.

These maps are pretty close matches:

Basically, if you plan on farming in the United States, you'd better eventually reach the Gulf of Mexico if you travel due south from your farm.

For a more politically loaded map.... juxtapose that annual rainfall map with this map (source) showing the water supply security of various municipalities in the US. The water shortages haven't got much to do with climate, and more to do with good planning vs. bad planning. Politicians in drier climates were likely the first to realize that running out of water is a thing that can actually happen to you if you aren't careful. Phoenix has more than enough water to survive, and Atlanta is constantly in danger of running out of water.

Randandal fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 26, 2013

Spirit Tree
Jan 22, 2007
Photosynthesising

Mister Adequate posted:

Those will be the mining settlements I would presume.

khwarezm posted:

I was thinking that might be it, funnily enough I was able to dig up an old national Geographic map in the same vein from 2004 that shows some of the different sources of the light at night:

Red is natural gas burn off, yellow is the result of fire in forests or scrub-land, Blue is night fishing light (most obvious near Japan and the Falklands) and white is urban light. Oddly this seems to say that (at least in 2004) most of that Australian light in that area was the result of natural fire? That seems hard to believe considering the other fire hotspots don't stand out on the other map.

(Heres a link to the map so people can get a closer look)

Nah, it is fires. All the mining/drilling is much closer to the coast. What people usually think of the desert is kind of like an idea of the Sahara, rolling dunes of sand when in reality a lot of the Australian desert up that way is just wall to wall dried up shrubs. There's seasonal monsoon rain that occasionally dumps inland so you get desert blooms with the remaining shrubs living on for a while. The dried up remnants can spark up and because few people live anywhere close it can just burn and smoulder for long enough to show up on one of those "earth at night" pictures. It's not like it's always burning just it can sometimes and those pictures caught a lot of it happening all at once.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I see your Australian brush fires, and raise you abandoned coal mines still on fire after decades of burning(also that may continue burning for another 250 years!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia_mine_fire

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, there's a few coal seam fires out in the world. Also a variant based on natural gas, with one sweet name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Door_to_Hell

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Fojar38 posted:

Well, actually they were driven off by the natives. Most likely the Beothuk, which as someone earlier in the thread pointed out apparently didn't play well with others even in the best of times. The Vikings picked one of the worst parts of North America to land in as far as hostile native presences are concerned and after a few months from the looks of it they decided it wasn't worth it and packed up.

Consider also which bunch of Norsemen it was that was trying to settle there. Some time previously, a lot of guys were thrown out of Viking-age Norway (NOT the place with the highest standards, in the first place) for being unbearable assholes, and settled in Iceland. Subsequently, some folks were even kicked out of Iceland for being too hard to get along with, and settled in Greenland. The Vinland expeditions were then undertaken by some dudes who apparently weren't able to fit in THERE, either... I guess peaceful contact with the natives probably wasn't in the cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

More Later
Mar 31, 2010

Groke posted:

Consider also which bunch of Norsemen it was that was trying to settle there. Some time previously, a lot of guys were thrown out of Viking-age Norway (NOT the place with the highest standards, in the first place) for being unbearable assholes, and settled in Iceland. Subsequently, some folks were even kicked out of Iceland for being too hard to get along with, and settled in Greenland. The Vinland expeditions were then undertaken by some dudes who apparently weren't able to fit in THERE, either... I guess peaceful contact with the natives probably wasn't in the cards.

Perhaps they just disliked all the taxes...